07.

Oops

“Daehyun-”

 

“Yes?”


 

“Daehyun.”


 

Daehyun closed his eyes for a moment, letting out a long sigh before glancing over at the teen sitting in the passenger seat of his car. “Yes?” He said through gritted teeth – he really wasn't in the mood for this today.


 

Youngjae stared blankly at him before looking out at the road. “I'm hungry.”


 

“I told you to eat before we left. I even fixed you breakfast.” The teacher couldn't help the irritation in his voice. He'd fixed Youngjae a good healthy breakfast. Fresh orange juice, oatmeal and scrambled eggs but the teen had refused to eat. “A good breakfast, too.” Daehyun added after a moment.


 

“I wasn't hungry then.”


 

You are so irritating, Daehyun wanted to say but instead let out another sigh. “Can you wait until after the appointment?” And when Youngjae shook his head, he frowned. “What do you want then?”


 

“McDonald's.”


 

The teacher glared over at him before looking back towards the road, the giant golden colored standing tall. “You did this on purpose.” He sighed, pulling into the parking lot and getting in the drive through line. “I know you did, so don't even try to deny it.” Daehyun shook his head when he looked over and saw the cheeky grin on Youngjae's face. “What do you want?”


 

“That big breakfast thing with the hotcakes.” And when Daehyun gave him a look of disapproval, Youngjae crossed his arms over his chest. “Look, I've been eating healthy for like, three days now. I need something different... you should learn to live a little more.”


 

“I do live.” Daehyun replied, pulling up further in the line. “By eating healthy and exercising.”


 

Youngjae sighed dramatically, flinging himself against the back of his seat. “Yeah, but it wouldn't kill you to have fast food or junk food like once a week with me.”


 

The older man opened his mouth before quickly shutting it again when he realized Youngjae had said with me. “Fine.” Daehyun tapped his fingers impatiently against the steering wheel. So much for fast food. He thought, glaring at the cars in front of him. They had an appointment to get to. “I'll have something with you every now and then if that will make you happy.”


 

“Cool.” Youngjae lazily replied, sinking in his chair before muttering how slow the line was and how badly he wanted 'Mother in' hot cakes', the older debating on whether or not he'd scold Youngjae for cursing. Before he could decide, it was his turn to order. “Are you getting something?” The younger asked after Daehyun told the woman his order.


 

“Um.” The man scanned over the menu before ordering a fruit parfait.


 

Youngjae scoffed as the woman told Daehyun the total but remained silent until they moved forward. “You're really living it up today.”


 

It was silent for a moment and then the teacher sighed again, looking Youngjae dead straight in the eyes with a serious expression. “Fast food gives me diarrhea.” He said, his tone dark and bleak.


 

...Oh. Ooookaaay.” Youngjae broke the eye contact, suddenly feeling uncomfortable. It wasn't very often he was the one being made to feel uncomfortable. He heard Daehyun snort and then they were finally at the window, picking up the food. The older man handed him the bags, murmuring how he needed to eat quickly because they were already running late. “Thank you.”


 

Daehyun glanced over before pulling back out onto the road and nodding his head. “It always surprises me when you say thank you.” He admitted, tapping his fingers against the steering wheel.


 

“I know I'm a bit of a pain in the -” He rolled his eyes when the older cut him off, saying 'A bit?' before quickly continuing. “But, I'm not anunthankful pain in the . I appreciate the ...” He trailed off for moment, sighing and continuing on. “Things you are doing for me and my little demon. I am.”


 

The teacher couldn't help but smile a bit, Youngjae's words making him feel a little better and a little appreciated but he didn't say anything. He knew better – if the conversation continued, Youngjae would say something that would completely ruin the moment. He pulled into the parking lot, frowning deeply when he realized Youngjae had just barely started on his food. “The appointment is literally in five minutes.”


 

“I'm just gonna bring it in.” Youngjae said as he undid his seat belt buckle.


 

“Can you do that?” Daehyun frowned.


 

“Probably not.” The younger answered, flinging the door open and getting out. “But, I'm gonna anyway.”


 

The man sat there for a moment and he knew he should tell Youngjae to leave it in the car, but he just couldn't. He couldn't get himself to say anything as they walked inside, the pregnant people inside immediately looking towards them like vultures. Daehyun felt like he was going to die as Youngjae signed in before taking a seat right smack dab in the middle of the room. It was perfectly clear that either they wanted to kill Youngjae and take his food or kill him, throw the food away and then throw up.


 

And Daehyun just wanted to shrink and become invisible as he sat in his chair, trying to pretend he was fully focused on his phone. It didn't seem like all the death glares bothered the teen at all, if the moans and pleased noises he was letting out as he ate were any indicator. I'm so embarrassed, I want to die.


 

“Daehyun, you look ashamed.” Youngjae pointed out, mouth full of food and it only made him want to die more. The teen laughed at him, finishing it up and finally throwing the trash into one of the bins.


 

Daehyun took in a deep breath, relieved at least that was over with. “They all look like they're going to kill you.” He whispered and Youngjae snorted, leaning back in is chair and rubbing his small tummy. The man watched for a moment before forcing his eyes away and towards the floor. He just wanted to get this over with.


 

The two sat in silence before Youngjae's name was finally called and then it really set in where Daehyun was and what he was doing. He was here... with Yoo Youngjae, his 17 year old student. The one he'd drunkenly slept with and impregnated in the back of a club. Daehyun felt like he'd pass out as they weighed the teen, checked his blood pressure and temperature. They were guided into a room, the door being shut behind them and then they were alone.


 

“You look like you're going to throw up.” The teen said, frowning ever so slightly. “Are you okay?” Daehyun held up his hand, silently nodding. He was this close to puking on the floor and he knew if he puked, Youngjae was gonna puke too. “I about threw up the first time I came here too. You should probably sit down.”


 

“Yeah... sit down...” Daehyun spoke in a daze, falling back into one of the chairs.


 

“You okay, Daehyun?” Youngjae asked, his voice sincere as he examined the older.


 

Daehyun looked up, taking in a deep breath and nodding his head. “Just a little dizzy... I'm going to go to the bathroom.” He stood up and headed towards the door, only to be stopped as it opened. His mouth dropped open when he met eyes with the doctor. Oh my god. Oh my god, no-


 

Daehyun?!” Dr. Kang exclaimed.


 

Youngjae looked back and forth between the two, the world seemingly standing still for a moment as the two men stared at each other. Daehyun covered his mouth, shoving passed the doctor and heading straight for the bathroom. “Well... anyway, I found my baby daddy.” The teen announced and Dr. Kang's mouth fell open even wider.


 

“If...if you'll excuse me for just a second.” He promptly turned around and left the room, the door slamming behind him.


 

- - - - - - - - - -


 

Daehyun rinsed out his mouth, his chest heaving up and down. This was a nightmare, an absolute nightmare and he knew right then and there, he was cursed. He was beyond cursed. The man nearly yelped at a knock on the door before forcing himself to turn around and open the bathroom door. Insoo pushed him back into the bathroom, locking the door behind them.


 

“Are you ing insane?!” He exclaimed, his voice bouncing off the walls and making Daehyun cringe. “I knew you wanted a baby, but goddamn it, Daehyun, this-”


 

“Let me explain-” Daehyun quickly spoke up, trying to defend himself to his ex-fiance.


 

“Daehyun, I just cannot believe you would stoop this low!” Insoo said, not hearing a word the younger man was saying. “I mean, there are so many men who would have been willing, you didn't have to-”


 

“Let me explain!” The teacher shouted, finally raising his voice over Insoo's own. “Look, okay, it was an accident! I was heartbroken and faced drunk! I just wanted to go out and have a good time, to forget about our break up. I didn't know his age, I just wanted to...” He trailed off when Insoo's expression softened. “And yes, I wanted a child but my god, not like this. He was in the club, I thought he was legal – I honestly didn't know.”


 

“Daehyun.” Insoo softly sighed, reaching out to touch his shoulder. The whole reason they'd even broken up was their differences on children. Daehyun wanted to get married, to have a family – Insoo didn't. Despite being together for six years, it ended because of that.


 

“Why are you here?” Daehyun suddenly asked, gently sliding the doctor's hand off of his shoulder. “I thought you worked at the office across town.”


 

Insoo shook his head. “I was. They moved me here not long after... us.” There was a long silence, neither really knowing what to say before finally the older let out a long sigh. “You know how to pick them, Daehyun. That kid is really something else.”


 

“Trust me, I know.”


 

They left the bathroom after a few more moments of silence, heading back towards the room with Youngjae. “Do your parents know yet?” And when Daehyun shook his head, Insoo sighed. “What a mess.” He murmured, opening the door and allowing his ex to go inside first.


 

Youngjae looked up from his phone, raising an eyebrow as the two stepped inside. Daehyun looked ashamed, defeated, his eyes downcast. “So, uh... what's going on here?” The two men glanced at each other, neither knowing how to reply and the teen tilted his head. “You two have some serious , I'm totally into it-”


 

“Youngjae-” Daehyun groaned, quickly cutting him off. He glanced back at Insoo, the words  repeating inside his head. “This... He... Insoo's my ex.”


 

The teen's lips formed a small 'o' and then he was leaning back in the examination chair, crossing his arms over his chest. It was silent for a moment, the air so tense that Daehyun felt like he was going to be sick again. “Wow...” Youngjae murmured and the teacher mentally prepared for whatever was going to come out of his mouth - “Small world.” He said and Daehyun almost let out a sigh of relief; that wasn't so bad. “If it gets any smaller, we might just end up being related.”


 

“Don't say that!” Daehyun quickly said, visibly shivering at just the thought. “Don't ever say that, we're not related. No way.”


 

The teen snorted. “Chill, I was kidding. Kind of.” Youngjae looked back over at Insoo, eyeing him. “So, why'd you two break up?”


 

Insoo looked over at Daehyun, the teacher immediately looking towards the floor. He couldn't say it, he just couldn't get himself to say the reason they'd broken up. “I'll let Daehyun explain that later but, we really need to move along with this appointment.”


 

“Oh, good.” Youngjae straightened up, suddenly looking excited.


 

Daehyun let out a soft sigh, plopping back down into the chair. His heart felt like it would burst when the sound of the baby's heartbeat filled the room and the world stopped when they did the ultrasound. This was real, this was really happening. That was his baby. He looked towards Youngjae when he noticed how intently the teen was staring. For the first time, there was nothing but love on his face as he asked questions, repeatedly asking if the baby was healthy and if it was doing okay. His smile seemed to grow each time Insoo repeated that everything was going well, that the baby was okay. Daehyun looked back towards the screen, realizing just how much Youngjae loved the baby already. Youngjae was immature, annoying, obnoxious but at least he loved the baby with all his heart.


 

Daehyun gently reached out and put his hand on Youngjae's arm, the teen looking at him in surprise. He smiled and Youngjae's expression softened before he smiled back. Things would be okay, Daehyun decided. Even if they were complete opposites, even if Youngjae was a pain in the . It would work out because they both adored that baby.


 

“Little demon is the cutest blob I've ever seen.”


 

“Don't call the baby that.”


 

“Don't tell me what to call my baby.”


 

“Our baby.”


 

“Don't tell me what to call our baby.”


 

Daehyun let out a long sigh, glancing over at his ex-fiance who looked thoroughly amused. Glad you're amused by this. He thought sarcastically, but he didn't really feel annoyed. Not right now. He just felt happy. Happy that the baby was healthy, that he was here for this.


 

Right now, he was just happy and nothing could take away from that.


 

- - - - - - - - - -


 

Youngjae yawned loudly, flipping through the channels on TV. He'd gone through them all about four times now and at this point, he was just clicking the button out of habit. He looked towards the kitchen when he heard Daehyun call out his name. “Yeah?” He called back but made no effort of getting up.


 

“Youngjae, come here.”


 

The teen let out a loud groan, getting up from the couch and slowly walking into the kitchen. “What?” Daehyun picked up a jar from the table, turning it so Youngjae could read the little paper sign he'd taped to it. Swear Jar. Youngjae looked at Daehyun, his lips pressing into a thin line but before he could say anything the older man spoke.


 

“Every time you curse, you have to put a dollar into the jar.”


 

“Are you ing serious?” Youngjae sounded half amused, half incredulous as he looked back and forth from the jar and Daehyun.


 

Daehyun nodded his head. “Yep. You can't be cursing around the baby and this is the only way you're going to learn.” He held the jar out. “One dollar for the curse word you just dropped.” Youngjae stared at him for a moment before laughing and turning around, leaving Daehyun standing alone in the kitchen, holding his empty swear jar in defeat.