4

The Lying Heart

Sehun sighed as he flipped the pages of the folder. There were a few more of them stocked like a mountain beside him and it wasn’t helping his migraine. 7 years have passed but it seems like yesterday he got his heart broken. It was hell. Living hell.

 

 

“You look like a hundred years older”

 

 

He tore his eyes away from the paper and found a person he never thought he’d see.

 

 

“Kai”

 

 

“Long time no see” Kai smiled.

 

 

After their college graduation, Kai left Korea and lived in America. Taking his place beside his father, working for the family company as the Head Director.

 

 

“Haven’t heard from you for over a year” Sehun muttered as he remained in his seat.

 

 

“Got busy” Kai then took a seat in front of Sehun “But I’m not here to talk about me”

 

 

Sehun got interested. He was all ears.

 

 

“Then why are you here?”

 

 

“I found her” Kai said as he gave Sehun that look. He was dead serious.

 

 

Sehun held his breath. Not knowing what to feel.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sehun pulled the brakes. If he was right, then this is the place where she lives.

 

 

He sighed as he watched his reflection on the mirror, he looked fine. He then got out of the car. His feet leading him to the white fence. He opened it slowly, taking small steps. The house wasn’t that small but it wasn’t also that big. It had a blue coloured roof and white walls. His heart was pounding loudly in his chest. He walked up to the front door, his hands were shivering. He was thinking on whether he’d knock on the door or walk away. He was thinking of all possibilities, she may be married or have fallen for another.

 

 

 

But he wanted an explanation. He wanted to know why she left without a proper goodbye. He wanted to know what was wrong.

 

 

“Excuse me”

 

 

 

He turned to where he heard the tiny voice and found a little girl wearing a flowery dress while holding a doll on her hand.

 

 

 

“Hi” He said in the friendliest way “Do you live here?”

 

 

 

He pointed at the house.

 

 

 

“Yes” She said in a very cute voice.

 

 

 

“Joo Hye!” An old woman called from the fence “Oh!”

 

 

 

Before they start thinking he was a thief or something, he smiled at them.

 

 

 

“Hello, I’m looking for Seohyun. Seo Joo Hyun” He asked straight to the point.

 

 

 

“Who are you?” The old woman went beside the little girl and put an arm on the girl protectively.

 

 

 

“Sehun. Oh Sehun” He then bowed “I’m a friend”

 

 

 

“Sehun?!” The woman gasped.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Here” The old woman offered him tea. He politely took it and sipped a small amount. The old woman invited him inside the house courteously.

 

 

 

“So, where is Seohyun?” He asked again.

 

 

 

“Sehun right?”  The woman asked again.

 

 

 

“Yes”

 

 

 

“She always talked about you”

 

 

 

His eyes widened.

 

 

 

Then when he was going to ask again, Joo Hye took his arm and rolled up his sleeve.

 

 

 

“Joo Hye!” The woman scolded.

 

 

 

“It’s alright” He gave a small laugh. The child was adorable the way she is, which reminded him of Seohyun.

 

 

 

“You also have this!” The child pointed on the scars on his wrist. It was when Seohyun left that he tried to cut himself and die. But it surely wasn’t his time yet.

 

 

 

“Yes I do” Sehun patted the girls’ head.

 

 

 

“Mother said that only angels harm their selves because they don’t like life on earth. This world is destroying them so they try to return to heaven again. They are too sensitive  to the pain of others and their own”

 

 

 

Sehun stared in awe at the young lass. His eyes never leaving hers. She looked awefully familiar. But her eyes, he could swear they were like his.

 

 

 

“Joo Hye, why don’t you go up to your room” The old lady endearingly said.

 

 

 

Joo Hye did as she was told but before going up the staircase, she face Sehun with a sad smile on her face.

 

 

 

“My mother is an angel” Joo Hye said.

 

 

 

“She is” Sehun replied.

 

 

 

“But she’s already returned home” Then Joo Hye quickly ran up the stairs.

 

 

 

Sehun’s mouth hung open. Loss of words.

 

 

 

“Joo Hye could be blunt”

 

 

 

“She’s special” Sehun said as he looked at the old lady.

 

 

 

“She’s like her mother”

 

 

 

“Who is her mother Ahjumma? And where is Seohyun?” Sehun asked.

 

 

 

“You didn’t know?” Her brows furrowed.

 

 

 

“Know what?” Sehun asked.

 

 

 

“Come with me” The old lady led him out of the house. They then walked into the forest in front of the house. After a few minutes, they stopped by a lake. The water was shimmering and the plants were magically green.

 

 

 

“In all her life, she was chained to lies and hate. She was never at peace. Before she died, she asked me to scatter her ashes here, where she could finally rest”

 

 

 

Sehun could feel his heart being crumpled. He didn’t want to ask but his heart was telling him otherwise.

 

 

 

“S-Seohyun?”

 

 

 

The old lady looked at him with sad eyes.

 

 

 

“She said she loves you so much. That she didn’t want to leave but she was afraid that you’d leave her first. Because she knows that you two can never be. After all, she’s just a servant girl and servant girls don’t end up with princes. She was pregnant when she left your household and found sanctuary here, where I found her”

 

 

 

“Joo Hye.. she is—“

 

 

 

“Yours”

 

 

 

Sehun have never felt more hurt in his life to know the truth. Knowing that Seohyun left while carrying his child made him think that he was a very awful person.

 

 

 

“Why? Why did she never tell me?” Tears streamed down his handsome face.

 

 

 

“She wanted you to live a better life without her holding you back”

 

 

 

Sehun fell on his knees, he roared. The pain was unbearable. Now that he thinks about it, he never actually told her he loves her. He never made her feel like she’s important. Because he took her love for granted.

 

 

 

“Oh Sehun, that was the last thing she said before she closed her eyes”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author's note:

I'm sorry  but I did warn you...