Chapter 4

A Puddle Made [Short Story]

Jay trudged home, dragging his legs that felt like a ton of lead.  Her icy words pierced him like daggers.

No.  It's not you.  

It's not you. 

Then who is it?!  Who is it that can make my Jessica happier than I can? he thought furiously. 

"I'm home!" Jay called to his mother. 

"Jaebum-ah, your brother just came back from the states!  Go greet him," she brightly said. 

"Brother?  Taecyeon just came back?  Really?!"

"Yes, yes, now hurry up and go!  He has some presents for you."

Jay immediately forgot about his love problems and hurried to his brother, idly sitting in the living room reading a book with his things strewn all over the floor.  Taecyeon saw Jay as he looked up and a wide toothy smile crossed Taecyeon's face. 

"Wassup, ugly?  You still look as chinky as ever!" Taecyeon yelled in plain English as he raced over to Jay and pushed him into a playful headlock. 

"Let go of me, bucktooth!  Where're my mangoes?!"  Jay mischieviously retorted as he attempted to free himself from the deadly headlock. 

"Yah, even though we both speak English, you can't go around calling me bucktooth.  I'm older than you by just one year so that made me your hyung*, REMEMBER?" Taecyeon gave him a hard noogie. 

"Hyung, hyung, APA* APA APA!  Stopstopstopstop!" Jay pleaded.

"That's what I thought," his brother said triumphantly.

"You play too rough!"   

"Be a man!"

"At least give me my dried mangoes!"

"How's Jessica?"

Jay felt a bucket of icy-cold water freeze his expression.  A lump formed in the back of his throat and it took a minute for him to answer.

"She's fine," Jay answered.

"Really?  I want to meet her again.  When's the next time you'll see her?"

"Tomorrow," Jay said without thinking.  He wanted to see her everyday, it was becoming a habit for him to think so. 

"A-W-E some!  I can't wait to see her again.  Do you think she's changed the last time--"

"Thanks for the mangoes, hyung!  I'm going to bed," Jay said in a perky voice. 

"Yeah, g'night, shorty," Taecyeon heartily replied.

Jay collapsed on his bed, her sharp words flooding back into his brain again. 

No. It's not you.

Jay groaned into his pillow and tossed and turned, Jessica and her words flashing into nightmares.


Jessica heard the nonstop knocks on her door, though she ignored it.  She pressed her face deep into the pillows to try to block out the sound. But then, her doorbells were being pressed repeatedly, annoying her even further.

Who the HELL is at my door at eight on a SUNDAY MORNING?  Jessica silently raged. 

Her hair looked like a victim of a forest fire and her face was puffed up but she didn't care.  Maybe this could scare away her intruders.  She stormed to the front, yanked the door wide open and yelled at the nuisance.

"YAH.  Do you think I'm deaf?  Just one knock and one doorbell is enough!  What are you gonna do if my door... ever..."

Jessica's words faded and her eyes opened wide, flush pouring into her cheeks and her legs on the verge of collapsing.

"O-oppa..." 

"Yah... is that how you greet someone when they've been gone for two years?"

Taecyeon pulled a bright red Jessica into a tight hug.  Little did she notice that his younger brother was staring at the both of them.


A/N: Hyung * -- Honorific used when dealing with a person of older status, usually in men.

       Apa* -- "It hurts!" (Korean dramas+Google Translate) 

The font with Taecyeon is him speaking in English, and Jay is speaking in English too.

Thanks to all my subscribers, I actually updated again (-Ahem thank you, Snowking).  How can I resist calls from my subscriber that's commented on my story after a long eight months? 

Regular things like usual... I apologize for any spelling&grammar errors.  Comments are definitely appreciated.  Thanks for reading and supporting my story!

P.S: Suscribe&Comment? Please?