Chapter 2

A Puddle Made [Short Story]

Jessica stared at Jay's back unbelievably.  Why was Jay here?  No, why was he even acting as a shield for her? 

"What do you think you're doing?" she whispered. 

"Just do what I say," he whispered back.   

The group of nasty boys wrinkled their eyebrows. 

"Who're you?" The most obvious question they asked.   

"I'm her man!  Back off!" Jay shouted.  As he said that, he turned and gave her a wink.

At that exact moment, Jessica literally did a facepalm. 

Why is he so cheesy?  Couldn't he have used another excuse?     

The filthy boys spat,"What's wrong with this guy?  Is he crazy?"  

They started to gang up on the pair, and they backed right next to another alley.  All of a sudden, Jay raised his fists in a stance ready to fight. 

"What are you doing, you idiot?!  Put your stupid fist down!"  Jessica whispered angrily.  

"Just listen to what I say, okay?" he said.  

"One... two... three..." Jay began counting,"four... five...six...ten... RUN!"  

"What?" Jessica didn't hear him correctly. 

"RUN!" He yelled as he pulled her hand, escaping into another alley.  

"Go, go, go!" The mob of boys shouted.   

Jessica stumbled as Jay hauled on her hand with extra force.  He spied a coffee shop, and shoved its doors.  The bell rang as they gasped for air.  Hiding behind  the doors, they watched the cattle stampeded, searching for Jessica and Jay.  Not wanting to lose their cool by walking in a cute coffee shop, they crossed over the shop and searched somewhere else.  Unexpectedly, someone tapped on Jessica's shoulder. 

"You need to order something or you need to leave," complained a crabby, but pretty waitress.  

"We'll leave," Jessica reassured her.   

When she tried to open the door, something else pulled on her hand and caused her to sit down on the nearest chair.  Once again, Jay was hauling her hand.  

"What are you doing again?"  she demanded. 

"Aish.  Since we're here, let's just have a cup of coffee, okay?" he shot back.  

"I don't drink coffee," Jessica answered.

"Then tea," he deviously replied.  

Unable to find any more excuses, she flopped her head onto the table.  An awkward silence followed them for nearly 10 minutes.  The catty waitress popped up again, apparently interested in Jay.

"Umm... would you like to order anything?"  She blinked at Jay with her large eyes.  

Instead of answering her question first, he asked Jessica. 

"Jessica-sshi, you like iced tea right?  Give me an iced tea," he told the waitress. 

She winked at Jay who showed no response, but stared at Jessica who was flopped on the table instead.

"How do you know I like iced tea?" Her voice sounded muffled. 

"I... just know," he smiled.   

Her bubble of anger popped, and she began firing questions at him.  She lifted her head abruptly, leaving hair in her face. 

"Omo!  You scared me.  You look like a blonde Ju-On right now," he gasped. 

"Jay-sshi.  How do you know I like iced tea?  Why were you there?  What's the use of your six-pack if you can't even pack a punch?"  Jessica blurted all at once. 

Instead of answering her questions, Jay grabbed her hand again and commanded," Let's go to the park!"  

"Ahh, no.  I'm tired," she whined.  

Before she could properly reject him, he dragged her out of the store right past the waitress who was carrying the iced tea.  Jessica was exhausted and here he was, lugging her to the park.  When they arrived by foot, she immediately walked over to a bench an laid on it.  Without knowing it, she fell asleep with Jay catching up.

She looks so uncomfortable, he thought.  

Unconsciously, he slipped her head on top of his knees and flicked her hair out of her face as well.  He saw how she had a flawless skin, how long her eyelashes were, and how perfect her lips were shaped. 

Absent-mindedly, Jay closed his eyes and his lips caressed her forehead, then her nose, and then they brushed over her perfect, soft lips.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

A/N: I apologize for the late chapter, spelling & grammar mistakes, and the corniness.

I hope you enjoy!