episode 4 - dare

Made in America
Please log in to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]{episode 4 – dare}[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]dare • n. a challenge, especially to prove courage[/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID3]

Dae Ji

Seoul National University, I’m finally here. I blinked up at the tall overhead arch designed in a peculiar way. I heard that it was designed in such a way to showcase the first letters of each word in Seoul National University.

All around me were students clumped together in their own cliques. Most were dressed plainly in slacks and a shirt while others wore trendy brands. Some loitered around the steps of the main building, some sat around in the finely cut grass, some dashed around laughing and chasing each other, some sat in the corners of a building away from everyone doing their own thing, and others were chatting with their friends hand in hand as they walked up the steps to their classes. Nobody seemed to care that I was a new student which eased me a little. At least I blended in somewhat.

I glanced around the campus looking for Se Hun. He was the only one I knew around; he was the only one I trusted. However, I couldn’t find him anywhere. Maybe he had an early class. I thought, thinking back to this morning.

I had woken up fresh and ready to tackle the day. Mrs. Oh made a scrumptious breakfast but I noticed that Se Hun wasn’t around. She told me that it was normal for him to not be around at this time in the morning. He would always wake up earlier than me and leave the house before I could even open my eyes, she said drearily. She said that she asked him last night to fetch you to school but he said he couldn’t. Since he was a year ahead of me (Mrs. Oh was really proud to boast that her child was a genius), his schedule was different than mine and so was his major.

Oh well, Se Hun must have his own classes and I have mine, which reminds me, I have to head to my first class right now. I stared perplexedly at the campus map I held with both hands. My vision grew slightly dizzy from such a huge map but I managed to find where I was on the map.

“Okay, so I’m right here. Now, the fashion building is…” I trailed off, searching the map for the fashion building. A red sports car passed me, its engine roaring obnoxiously loudly. I glanced up for a moment, staring at the back of the car as it sped its way into the student car park. Hm, what noisy people in the morning…

I glanced back down on the map, my eyes landing on the fashion building at that very moment. “Ah, so it’s this way.” I sighed in relief and grinned happily. I was off to a good start. I was early and I knew where the fashion building was. Now, my only problem is to find my way around.

“You can do this, Yang Dae Ji.” I whispered to myself encouragingly, nodding in determination.

 

 

 

 

 

Kai

“Get lost.”

“B-But-” The girl stuttered in surprise, her eyes filling with tears.

“Get lost.” I smirked cruelly at her falling tears. Ah, women cry so easily. I thought with a scoff.

She wordlessly unbuckled her seatbelt and grabbed her handbag, rushing out of the car. “Oppa-” She whimpered and I shushed her harshly.

“That word, I hate it so much. Besides, do you have any right to call me oppa?” I raised an eyebrow at her daringly and she gulped, hugging her brand name bag close to her. I scoffed, laughing mockingly at her.

“Focus on your studies more than on your flirting, sunbaenim.” I nodded at her with a killer smile and accelerated away, leaving her to walk onto campus sniffling and heartbroken. But not that I cared or not that I ever did.

I sped into the student car park, parking in a reserved spot just for me. I climbed out of the car, dusting off my red convertible with a satisfied smile.

Women were useless to me. Cars at least got me somewhere. All women ever did was lead me through a boring relationship that never got me anywhere. A perfect example would be my mother and my father.

“Yah, yah, yah, you little punk, what’s this? Another new car?” A loud voice boomed in my ear and I wrenched away from his grip around my neck with a grimace. Chan Yeol stood there with a wide, cheeky grin, eyeing my new car.

“Do you have to be so loud in the morning?” I kicked his shin playfully and he yelped in pain.

“I couldn’t say the same for you. You probably woke up half a million other people over in Japan with that noisy engine of yours.” Baek Hyun shook his head, clucking his tongue with a half-grin.

“If our Kkamjong got a new car, it must mean he got a new chick. Who is it? Is it a sunbae or a hoobae?” Lu Han slung his arm around me good-naturedly, shaking me roughly.

“Just dumped her not long ago; it was a sunbae who calls me oppa.” I shivered in disgust and they all made faces.

“That means our Jong Innie will be single for today!” Chen sang teasingly and we all laughed at the absurdity.

“Jong In and single don’t go well together. His relationship status will be in a relationship by lunch hour.” Chan Yeol scoffed, rolling his eyes in a matter-of-fact way.

“Yah, you kids, it’s time for class.” Su Ho hollered from behind.

“Hey, where is Se Hunnie, that punk, and Kyung Soo?” Baek Hyun glanced around all of us.

“Kyung Soo is already in class and Se Hun should be there as well.” Su Ho tapped on his golden watch.

“And what are you bastards doing over here with us? Go hang out with Kris and Tao!” I pushed Lu Han and Chen away from us with a laugh and they grimaced dreadfully.

“Exactly why we hang out with you guys, Kris and the rest are party-poopers in the morning.” Chen pouted and Chan Yeol rolled his eyes, threateningly kicking them. They ducked out of the way and rushed away from us, hooting and hollering as they went.

“Aish, those kids…” Su Ho muttered under his breath. I scoffed lightly, shaking my head at them.

People were looking at us. I knew that. We knew that. It was a fact we’ve gotten used to over our life. I used to be uncomfortable with all the stares of envy and admiration. I relish in them now. It’s wonderful when you know you’re the apple of everybody’s eye. The whole world loves me but I didn’t have to reciprocate that love did I?

Hm, the world loves perfection. “Yah, Kim Jong In, don’t just stand there and stare into space. If we’re late, we’re gonna hear it from ssem!” Su Ho whacked my head and I pushed his arm away, punching him playfully.

“It gives Baek Hyun a reason to drool over her, so why not?” I chimed out teasingly and ran away from Su Ho, who was still chasing after me for that punch, and Baek Hyun, whose face was flaming red.

Maybe there was one thing in the world that did get me somewhere and it wasn’t cars. It was my friends.

“Yah, come back here, you punk!” 

 

 

“Oppa!” Se Hun jumped in surprise. He closed his notebook in annoyance and slammed it down on my head. Ouch…

“What are you? A girl?” Se Hun sneered at me unpleasantly, pushing me off his desk. I guffawed, settling down into the seat next to him.

“Correct, oppa, so buy me lunch, okay?” I blinked at him flirtatiously, puckering my lips teasingly. He groaned, pushing my face away from his with his palm. He wiped my saliva on my shirt and I flinched away in disgust.

“It’s your germs, not mine.” He smirked, reopening his notebook and going through his notes once more.

“Yah, yah, yah, you jerk, where were you yesterday?” I nudged his side curiously but he didn’t answer. I raised an eyebrow, shifting closer towards him.

“Yo, dude, do you have some kind of secret girlfriend or something?” I wriggled my eyebrows mischievously and he froze.

Oh Se Hun, just what are you hiding? “Oh, so you do have a secret girlfriend. Tell me, is she hot? Does she have long legs? If you’re done with her, can I have her? Can I meet-” He whacked my head once more with his notebook. Damn, you might think his notebook was thin and small but no, it was thick and huge carrying six subjects’ worth of notes. At the rate I was getting hit by that thing, he must have inserted all the knowledge in that book into my head.

“I don’t have a secret girlfriend. I was tired from the flight and you guys were taking too long to grab your stuff so I left early. I’m still tired from the flight yesterday so stop being so noisy.” He snapped irritated and I backed away, my hands raised in surrender.

“Alright, alright, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.” I sat back, crossing my arms as I eyed Se Hun with concern.

He needs to get laid. Slam!

“Hey, what was that for?!” I yelled covering the abused top of my head. He smirked smugly, clucking his tongue in success.

“I can hear what you’re thinking so get it out of your head.” He turned back around just as our professor entered the room with his usual booming voice. I scoffed, staring daggers into the back of his blonde head.

This punk has never changed. Ten years and counting yet he’s still like an emotionless prick.

 

 

 

Dae Ji

Here we go… The door opened and I peeked inside curiously. My eyes widened at the students in the room. They were dressed in a way that showcased their style. Some were bizarre; some were elegant, while others were trendy. It seemed like everyone knew each other as everybody were clumped into their own little group of friends.

I glanced down at myself. If I had known that it was customary for students to dress in a way that reflected their style, I would have prepared something beforehand. All I did was look like a high school girl who put on the first pieces of clothing she thought were pretty. I was in a plain white fitted tee and skinny jeans with a jacket wrapped around my waist. This will surely grant me friends. I thought sarcastically as I grimaced at my outfit.

“Are you going to stand there and frown at your clothes or are you going to get to class?” A sharp voice pierced through my thoughts and my eyes widened in recognition having heard that same iciness in countless of interviews. I slowly lifted my head warily and came face to face with my role model, my teacher, my hero, CL.

She was dressed stylishly, of course. She wore a dark grey coat that reached her knees over a black baggy top. She wore dark grey canvas shorts underneath it and long socks that reached mid-thigh with a black border circling around her thighs. Her lace up ankle boots had studs that sparkled in the sunlight whenever she walked. She wore Armani sunglasses, giving her a cold and mysterious look.

I gaped at her in shock. There she was, my idol standing in front of me, talking to me. I couldn’t believe that I was actually meeting her. I shook myself out of my thoughts. I didn’t want to anger her or anything so I bowed and with the best courageous voice I could muster, I spoke to her without falling to the ground swooning.

“Um, gyosunim, I’m actually new here. I’m-” She cut me off with one finger, rummaging through her leather bag and pulling out a yellow manila folder probably holding my details. She opened it and quickly glanced it over before slamming it shut wordlessly.

“You’re Yang Dae Ji, the scholarship student from America?” It sounded more like a statement and I nodded my head obediently.

“Good, you’re early for your first day. For this week, whatever tardiness or late homework should be fixed by next week. I’ll give you a week to adjust and after that, you should be able to navigate your way around campus without a map. Because you’re new, I’ll overlook all of your actions for this week but after that, I’ll expect you to live up to my expectations. Do you understand?” She crossed her arms and stared at me from under her sunglasses. I nodded meekly and stepped aside for her to enter the classroom. She strutted in wordlessly and I stared after her in a daze. I sighed, getting my thoughts together. Even though she was my role model, she was my teacher. It would be unprofessional of me if I appeared to her like a love struck fan girl. No, I was here to stay.

Alright, you can do this, Yang Dae Ji. I entered the classroom with renewed determination…that slowly deflated after feeling the burning gazes of everyone in the room. My knees were shaking nervously and my hands were trembling with fright. I could tell that they were judging me already. I mean, they were dressed like fashion designers and I just look like a copout.

I bowed respectfully yet awkwardly placing a friendly smile on my face. It seemed like nobody cared as they scoffed at me arrogantly and turned away snottily. Well, okay then, if that’s how they’re going to act. I thought defiantly and pressed my lips together, ignoring the weird stares and the laughing eyes.

“Find a work space, Yang Dae Ji-ssi.” CL waved a hand lazily as she searched through her bag for something. I nodded and searched the room for an empty spot but there seemed to be none except for an empty table all the way at the back.

I guess that’ll do for now. I bit my lip unsurely as I shuffled my way to the empty spot in the back, ignoring more snickering as I passed each table. I set my bag down, slowly taking out a notebook and a pencil before sitting on the shaky stool. CL finally found what she was looking for and pulled out a tablet as she started the first lesson.

“Okay, class, today’s the first day for all of you freshmen in university. The rules are simple and obvious but punishments will be exacted if not followed through. Rule one,” She eyed all the students in the room sternly, her charisma intimidating many students. “Tardiness and late homework assignments will not be tolerated after the first week. Rule two,” She lifted two fingers, both equally sharp and perfectly manicured. “There will be no disrupting of my class to use the bathroom. Rule three,” She paced back and forth at the front of the class. “Use of technology for other reasons other than doing work will result in confiscation of the device. Rule four,” She leaned against the whiteboard with crossed arms. “An unprofessional attitude in class will guarantee you demerit points. Rule five,” She examined her long nails skeptically. “I don’t expect you to take my advice but you will not talk back to me. And lastly, rule six,” She smirked and her eyes landed on mine, a spark of challenge resting in her dark orbs.

“In this class, there are expectations I would expect you to live up to. My expectations aren’t easy to reach. I won’t tell you what they are since they are for you to find out by yourself.” She scoffed lightly, turning around to write on the whiteboard with a red marker.<

Please log in to read the full chapter