Day 7

The Distance

Dongwoo and Woohyun sat in a small barrack of Chasong for first aid and health. Several soldiers sat inside for antibiotics to heal their wounds. Very few Korean casualties came from the attack, many of 10609 and 11405 holding down their path. Unfortunately, several trucks housing weapons and food burned down in the process. Because of that, the new course was reevaluated by operations on what to do next. 

"Thank you so much Eunjung, you really know how to work your magic." A nurse used a cotton tip to carefully dab the blood off a wound on Woohyun's head. Out of everyone in their group, Woohyun was the most likely one to get hurt on all accounts. Of course, Woohyun had no problem with it with the choice of delectable treats that awaited him.

"You're too kind! You're going to be fine. Just continue taking your pills, and don't put too much stress on your arm. It's already hurting, and you don't want to do anything else with it," Eunjung warned.

Suddenly, Woohyun took hold of Eunjung's hands, her skin so gentle and milky that Woohyun wanted to bring them up to his cheek. "I'm only fine because of you."

"Oh for goodness sakes, cut the crap Woohyun!" After Woohyun was cleared by the nurse, Dongwoo immediately pulled him out of the barrack. 

"Hey! Come on man, I was having a moment with her," Woohyun whined, pouting as Dongwoo dragged him back outside.

"The only moment you will be having is on a truck for the next 10 hours. You have so much grease, you can cook eggs for the whole squad!" Dongwoo complained.

"Hey! I do things in the name of love," Woohyun swooned.

"Oh, shut the hell up!"

"Guys! Guys!" Dongwoo and Woohyun eyed Sunggyu running in the shadows, going through the night lights of the small town and sprinting with the biggest grin on his face. He leaped into the air, punching it in excitement and twirling around without a single care. He waved his arms around, garnering the attention of not only Dongwoo and Woohyun but every soldier around them packing up to leave for their 1:00 ride to Senruma. "Sungjong! It's Sungjong! He's alive!"

"What?!" Dongwoo and Woohyun held onto each other at the news, in utter shock of what they were hearing.

"Sungjong! He was taken to Yundo. General Kang is also alive, too! And the other soldiers they took captured. They're all alive!" Sunggyu rushed towards Dongwoo and Woohyun, all of them simultaneously jumping in the air and hugging each other from the good news.

"No, Sunggyu you can't lie right now. This is real?" Dongwoo pinched Sunggyu in the shoulder, making sure everyone standing near him was alive.

"Dude! I'm not kidding," Sunggyu shouted angrily, holding onto his shoulder. "That hurt!"

Joining their party was Hoya, Sungyeol, and Myungsoo. Hoya led the pack, beaming from cheek to cheek as he skipped towards the three of them, jumping into the air and clacking his heels together to bask in the excellent news. "Sungjong! He's still alive!" Hoya confirmed.

"But how? How do we even know that?" Dongwoo wondered. "Not like I don't believe it. This is just incredible, a miracle!"

"Myungsoo, you explain. It was all your doing," Hoya pointed straight at him.

"Before Yu Kwon died, he said that they captured Sungjong for intelligence," Myungsoo explained.

"Yeah, I heard about Yu Kwon being a spy," Woohyun sighed. "It's a good thing you got him though. Kyung must be sad."

"He was crying about it for hours, he had no idea Yu Kwon an enemy," Sunggyu remembered.

"Well on top of Yu Kwon being a spy, we have to deal with a spy in our own squad. Apparently there is a snitch in each Korean squadrant." Hoya stayed back with Captain Peo to discuss the next course of action in figuring out the rat and taking them down before they reached the final destination of Yundo. "This is treason, and we're going to get them."

Myungsoo was less than amused by all of it, the person who would be the most enthusiastic about Sungjong's whereabouts was grim. His arms crossed and mind mentally checked out of everything in the war. There was a flame inside of him burning red, the color of blood, the colors as he watched Yu Kwon burn from finding out Sungjong's current condition. Myungsoo swore he would kill Yu Kwon before Yu Kwon could get to him, and he expected to be exhilarated from it all. Instead, Myungsoo was silent. For the first time, the war was more real than ever after committing his first true kill to get what he wanted.

"Myungsoo, are you ok?"

Myungsoo heard Sungyeol's breath on his ear, whispering to him and knowing that he was not acting normal. Sungyeol always knew the symptoms of Myungsoo changing, and this moment was not just a typical drama queen act. Something was changing in him, and Sungyeol saw it when he witnessed his best friend clobbering Yu Kwon over and over until he left him for dead in a burning trench. The whole thing was startling, alarming that Sungyeol needed to keep Myungsoo in check from now on and watch his back to make sure the war would not get to him. 

Times were getting desperate, and Myungsoo would do anything for Sungjong or any best friend for that matter. But Sungyeol wanted to make sure Myungsoo was not compromising his own morals to get there.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Myungsoo responded.

 

(((())))

 

Dongwoo slept across from Hoya on their way to Senruma, his mouth wide open and facing the sky even in the rockiest of paths. That was a natural talent for Dongwoo, being able to sleep wherever he wanted whenever he wanted. It was like a narcoleptic condition, completely unconscious the second he closed his eyes.

Hoya sat across the truck from Dongwoo, watching him in his slumber and peeking trough the cracks of the truck into the distance. The nighttime sky was something different. Going through the mountains, the only natural light was that of the moon and stars. Being around the city lights, he never saw the potential of a sparkling star. It amazed him, riding through the mountains how much closer the stars were. "Hey Dongwoo." Hoya grabbed onto Dongwoo's hand and squeezed it.

A shock sent through Dongwoo's veins, prompting him to wake up with a snore. "Huh, what?" Everyone else in the truck sleeping except for the man sitting across from him. He looked at his hand, and Hoya was still holding onto it. "Hoya, what's going on?"

"I can't go to sleep right now, so I've been watching the stars," Hoya answered.

"You can see the stars in this cramped truck?" Dongwoo turned his head, a lot of twinkling lights illuminating the mountains. It was a gorgeous view, even if he could only see it through a slit. "Ok, that does look really nice."

"Do you think we'll be able to see something like this again after the war ends? Let alone, do you think Sungjong will witness a view as magnificent as this?" Sungjong was one of the only people on his mind, and after Myungsoo's discovery from Yu Kwon anything seemed possible. "He's going to be alive by the time we find him, right?"

"You're asking me that question? Come on Hoya, you should know better that Sungjong is alive and well!" Dongwoo knew something was up. "Why are you thinking like that? Is that why you're wide awake?"

Hoya shrugged his shoulders. "I should be happy that they took Sungjong alive, right? When I first found out, I was the happiest guy in the world. The stars are beautiful, but for how much longer you know? Is Sungjong going to be alive in time to see them? Will I be alive in time to see them?"

Dongwoo started to understand where Hoya was coming from. As much of a front Hoya liked to put out of being a charismatic and hard leader, deep down inside he cared a lot about death and mortality. It was something that bothered him ever since Hoya's dad passed away, and now the thoughts were stronger than ever. He never knew Hoya had such morbid thoughts, but ever since catching him close to commiting suicide he was now fully aware of Hoya's true feelings. 

"I've killed people already, shooting a bullet straight to their heads to end their lives. I've even tried taking... nevermind. Do I want to do this? No, but everyone is doing what they can to live. Some people don't consider this living. I mean look at Yu Kwon. Before Myungsoo killed him, he was a spy for Sotena. People are trying to stay alive, and because of that the great things in life don't last long. If I can kill a man easily, that means someone kill Sungjong just as fast." Hoya expected Dongwoo to think he was overreacting to all of this. "Honestly, I don't know if I'm making sense dude. I thought I did, but a lot of these thoughts are kind of meshing together into a pile of . I just want a happy ending for me, for you, for Sungjong, for all of us."

"The problem is, war doesn't have a happy ending." Dongwoo took a deep breath, afraid to say his next sentiment in fear that it might trigger Hoya even further. "You can't trust people when it comes to war. Sotena took our own brother away from us, attacking us, Yu Kwon, there are so many factors to take into consideration. The process of war itself, no one who participates in it comes out with a happy ending. But we find peace, the juxtaposition. Remember that you're fighting for your family and country. Remember that your father also died too for you and the rest of the country. I wouldn't necessarily say that peace is a happy ending, because look what we fight for it. To find peace, we have to blow off a bunch of heads. That's the mentality, so no one could ever say war brings a happy ending."

Hoya accepted Dongwoo's words, as hard as it was to hear. Dongwoo was right. He hugged himself, feeling the curves of the bulletproof vest he was wearing under his uniform. It was a reminder for him to do his best in the war, a reminder of why he was there.

"Whether or not Korea gets out of this in peace, what matters is that you're doing your best. That's the only ending you could really ask for, knowing that this war ends and you've accomplished everything you set your heart to. Peace is corrupt. We all want to be happy, and we'll be happy eventually. But right now, you need to focus on your family. Your country. Your friends. You can't think about when your life is going to end. You can only think about what will you do with your life to make the best in this wretched war."

Dongwoo's words always helped Hoya. He always had a way with everything he said, never judging a situation without knowing both sides. Dongwoo was great at providing the different perspectives of a situation, and maybe it was the fact that he was a tiny bit older than Hoya but he spoke like he knew a lot. Hoya admired that a lot.

"You can't give up on anything. Right now, your only job is to see the light at the end of the tunnel and fight for Sungjong to see the stars."

Hoya nodded his head. "I'm tired."

"After everything I said, that's the only thing you have to say for yourself?!"

"I'm exhausted! We got ambushed, had to stay up and talk to Captain Peo, and our troops just left at 1:00. It's 3:00 Dongwoo." 

Dongwoo chuckled. "Fine."

Hoya smiled, after settling down he saw his hand and jumped. He had been holding Dongwoo's hand this whole time, and throughout their conversation Hoya never bothered to let go. Hoya caressed his palm with his thumb, tending a cut from the surprise attack and rubbing it in circles. It was a weird feeling, holding onto Dongwoo was the most comforting thing in the world.

"Will you be fine sleeping now?" Dongwoo asked, his face heating up from the sensation of Hoya massaging his hand.

"Um yeah. At least I hope so."

Dongwoo rolled his eyes. "Here."

Dongwoo scoot his over to leave an extra space between himself and the next sleepy soldier. Without asking, Dongwoo pulled Hoya to the other side of the caravan, holding onto his hand and forcing him to sit next to him. He used his other hand to push Hoya's head into the curves of his neck, leaning over his shoulder like a soft pillow. "Sleep on my shoulder, soldier."

"If you say so," he obliged. Hoya gazed up at Dongwoo, who was staring straight into the crack across from him to check out the snowy mountain tops with the stars shining in the background. The two of them now had a better view of it all now that the space Hoya sat beforehand was empty. It was quite lovely, and without thinking they continued to hold hands without realizing it was still happening. It was natural, nothing contrived about it.

Hoya closed his eyes.

 

(((())))

 

The  next stop for their way to Yundo landed their trucks in Senruma, formerly known as Linjiang.

The area kept secret in the mountains, the whole place was surrounded with snowy tops at the peaks and on their rooftops. Senruma was like no other, its beauty preserved of ancient Chinese cultures and still staying true even after its capture. Every residence in the village shared the same traditional rooftops, its walls prevalent to that of Chinese architecture. Even though the place became a part of Sotena 15 years ago, the distinct old-fashioned charm it had was still there.

This would be the first stop where they would settle for more than a day. A new plan had to be decided after the news of a spy in their troops, and before they could go on any longer they needed to figure out who it was and reroute their trip in case the prisoners of war in Sotena were forced to tell them of the original ones. 

"This place is emptier than I expected," Woohyun spoke.

"After Squad 77802 took this place over last week, many Korean troops led the Sotena citizens back to Korea. The dictatorship here is something else. The ones who stayed here, I overheard some people talking." Sunggyu stopped his friends in the middle of the road to emphasize the extremities. "The families who are still here are brainwashed."

"Brainwashed?" Woohyun did not fully understand the term.

"Messing with their mind to convince them that Sotena is the greatest place on earth. And who knows what they've done to do that. It can be physical, it can be chemical. The more rebellious areas had to go through it. The brainwashing is all a rumor though."

Hoya scratched his head. "So, nuclear weapons?"

"Not nuclear weapons for brainwashing. But if they have the supplies here to brainwash then that means they are fully capable of making nuclear bombs. We have to be careful in this area, because many of the families here are wary of our presence. We're safe for now because 77802 and 30298 are regulating the exits and use of technology in the area. I don't know when we're leaving, but once plans get figured out we'll be able to leave this place."

Sunggyu finished his sentiment, and right before they continued to move a little kid from one of the nearby houses ran in the middle of the street to stop them. He looked about 5-years-old, a child with puffy cheeks and a warm grin to show it off. He sported a simple black tshirt with black shorts, wearing blue running shoes on his feet that lit up with green lights whenever you stepped on them.

The boys did not know what to think about this kid, standing right in front of them almost carelessly and staring at a bunch of soldiers secure with their assault rifles that can be shot at any second. The child was fearless.

Maybe too fearless.

That was when Myungsoo raised his gun.

"Woah!" Everyone stepped forward to back Myungsoo up, a devilish look in his eyes as he aimed carefully at the kid's head. 

The child did not flinch. He did not run away. He simply watched.

"Myungsoo-ah!" Sungyeol swiped the gun back and ripped it away from his best friend. "This person's a kid, and he hasn't done anything to you!" Sungyeol was distressed, breathing heavily at the fear someone was about to shoot what he deemed an innocent kid. Myungsoo was not saying a single word, which frightened Sungyeol even more. Sungyeol threw the gun off to the side, spinning around and into an alleyway. 

"What the is your problem? They're brainwashed!" Myungsoo pushed Sungyeol to the floor, Dongwoo and Woohyun holding his waist back to stop from from doing anymore damage.

Sungyeol stayed on the floor, staring into the eyes of someone who was not Kim Myungsoo. "You were going to ing shoot a kid! You're not ok right now!"

It was a different mentality. The mentality that Myungsoo no longer trusted a single person around him, that everyone was a monster. Little did he know, he was becoming a monster himself.

Suddenly, Sungyeol received a tap on his shoulder. After arguing with each other, the six of them disregarded the random kid that appeared in front of them this whole time. Sungyeol reluctantly turned around, the little kid they first saw standing before him with a similar looking one of the same age joining him. This kid wore almost the same things except for a blue shirt, his hairstyle also a little different and longer than the first kid. This kid was also smiling, and in his hands he was hugging a ragged football barely the size of his head. 

"What is he doing?" Myungsoo wondered, struggling to escape Dongwoo and Woohyun's bind. 

Sungyeol observed the pair of kids in detail, comparing faces and trying to figure out the puzzling mystery of who these kids were. "Football?" Sungyeol asked.

The second kid nodded his head.

"What is in football?" Sungyeol was uneducated in Sotena's language, so he did the best he can to speak simply and clearly for him to understand.

That was when the kid dropped the football, the six of them cringing and taken aback by the sudden movement. No one was sure what was in the football, for all they knew it was a hidden bomb and their lives could be over in a matter of seconds. It could be a method of brainwashing, getting into their heads and manipulating them to change sides.

But then the football landed on the dirt road. And all it did was bounce up and down like a normal football would.

It was that simple. 

Sungyeol realized these kids were no harm or detriment to any of them. They were precious kids.For a moment, he disregarded the innocence of a child and how they were so young to know much about the world. Even in the rumored brainwashed country they just stepped foot in, their hearts were still that of children. "You, me, kick the football?"

The second kid nodded his head, kicking the ball softly into Sungyeol's thigh.

Sungyeol pushed himself off the floor, smiling like an idiot as he witnessed one of the most treasuring moments since this war started. It warmed his heart to know that children were still children, and even in a crazed war he took for granted innocence. Not everyone was guilty. Not everyone was a killer. He placed his gun off to the side, running towards the ball and kicking it down the road. Sungyeol and the two kids sprinted after it, laughing at each other and saying nothing more.

Sunggyu, Dongwoo, and Woohyun looked at each other, reckoning nothing bad was going to happen. After all, the area was taken by Korea a week ago. The three of them let go of Myungsoo, smiling and running after Sungyeol and the kids to join in their play.

Myungsoo calmed down, the malevolent glimmer in his eyes dying down and turning into the dullness of his normal color. His shaking limbs resolved, staring off into the distance as they sprinted away from him and disappeared into the horizon. Myungsoo took a deep breath, unsure what took over him when he considered shooting the kid. 

"Myungsoo, are you ok?" Hoya asked, who stayed back with Myungsoo.

Hyperventilating, Myungsoo walked over to the curb and weakened to sit down. Breathing heavily, he rubbed his wrist to relax and reflect on his impetuous mind. "I almost killed him, Hoya."

Hoya his lips, walking over to the curb and sitting right next to Myungsoo. Hoya dropped his backpack in front of him, blinking repeatedly as he tried to take Myungsoo's confusing thoughts. He placed his hand on his thigh, rubbing it in circles. 

"I don't know who to trust anymore. Like Yu Kwon. It's not like I ever trusted him in the first place. I just didn't like his personality, but I didn't know he was capable of such a horrible deed of betraying his own country. And taking Sungjong away from us. I don't even know if I trust myself, Hoya."

"Why do you say that?"

"When I killed Yu Kwon, it was that scary moment when I knew exactly what I was doing. During the first battle, I fired some shots and saw them explode. I didn't know for sure if they survived, though. This time, I saw the blood for myself. And I was the reason. How do you even handle something like this, Hoya? How can you be so fit for this?" Myungsoo was hysterical, tears falling down his face as he confessed to the pain he had been suffering since yesterday.

Hoya wished he knew the exact answer to make him feel better, and it was a case-by-case for everyone. He was feeling the exact same way in some aspect, so he thought maybe Dongwoo's words could heal him. "How can I handle this? The answer is, I don't. Myungsoo, I'm barely holding onto the rope they're throwing at me. The war is changing us as we speak, and none of us will get a happy ending at the end of it. Sometimes I think to myself maybe I'm not fit for all of this. The pressure gets to you."

"Tell me about it."

"With everything going on and Sungjong being all of our main goals, it gets hard sometimes. We lose sight when we allow the war to take over. It's crazy. It's only been five days since our first battle, and I feel like a completely new person."

Myungsoo wiped away some tears, splashing onto Hoya's uniform. "Everything is getting to me."

"It happens. But at least you have us. We're all going through the same thing right now, we don't know who to trust. But we can trust each other. Together, we can make it." Hoya leaned over and used the sleeve of his shirt to dry Myungsoo's face. He laughed at him, Myungsoo's red nose somewhat amusing. "Stop crying, baby."

"Sorry!" Myungsoo giggled, shaking his head and sniffling his nose to control himself. "Who do you not trust?"

Hoya raised an eyebrow. "The snitch?"

"Yeah. I have a lot of plans for him when I find out who the spy is."

Hoya shrugged his shoulders. "The spy has to be someone directly involved with special operations. Everyone is undergoing interviews right now, and we're all in quarantine in Senruma until we figure it out. They cut all means of communication for us, too."

"I don't get how anyone could do something like that. Sotena really wants to win this. The repercussions of war are all becoming reality."

"I know," Hoya sighed. "Wait till I get my hands on him, I'll twist his head off."

 

(((())))

 

Dear Mom,

We arrived in Senruma earlier today. We're here to rest for a little, restock on food and weapons after an unforseen event yesterday. On top of that, members of squads 77802 and 30298 are joining us when we leave tomorrow morning. Our army is growing, and with stronger manpower we will be invincible upon approaching Yundo.

I have some great news. Sungjong is still alive. They captured him to provide information for Sotena. As ecstatic as I am about this, it's all coming at a cost and the true front of war is coming to play. I did something yesterday, and I found some information out along with Sungjong being alive:

There is a spy in 10609. 

I don't know how exactly we're going to find out who it is, but in the meantime information is being limited to the soldiers. Special news is only being shared through the high ups, and Sunggyu and Hoya are able to feed us everything in secret and confidence after having meetings with them.

Senruma is a fascinating place. Many of the buildings here have been restored or preserved from when it was Linjiang, China. The area has stayed true to its Chinese roots in terms of food, architecture, and culture. The citizens of Sotena who live here were not what I expected. Senruma is quite an empty place, but for the people who inhabit the area they were not mean. They were not cruel. They did not give us looks. They only wanted to get to know us more. Today, Sungyeol met a little naughty kid kicking a football around, asking us to play with him. Everyone except for Hoya and me played with them. 

I can tell that Sungyeol is concerned for me, concerned that this war is changing me. I did something yesterday, and I do not want to go into detail because I do not want you to view me differently as your son. He is scared for my well-being, and Hoya even talked to me about it. I don't know how noticeable it is, but they confronted me about my changing personality. Hoya told me today that the war doesn't have a happy ending, and in the process we lose ourselves and our innocence. It's hard to keep in character while we do things we never thought we were brave enough to even commit to, but when it happens you realize what you're capable of.

If I kill a man, am I capable of killing more? Does that mean I'm just as evil as the attacker? What does that all mean?

When Sungyeol was playing with the little kid today, I realized something. When you grow up, you are sheltered by everything around you. You don't know consequences. You don't know war. You don't know violence. You don't know love. You don't know these things that can corrupt your mind and your soul, the purity of a child. How long will it take for this kid to get to where I am right now? 

The war is confusing, and the only people grounding me are my best friends. I don't know where I would be without them, and Hoya also said that sometimes he has no idea what he's living for until he remembers the face of his father, his mother, his brothers, us, and his country.

I'm not changing. I'm still the same Myungsoo you love, no matter what happens.

I won't lose sight of what's important.

Kim Myungsoo.

 

(((())))

 

Dongwoo and Hoya draped Woohyun's arms around their shoulders, almost lurching forward from the heaviness in his alcohol weight. Woohyun closed his eyes and smilled, throwing hearts to Eunjung at the bar. "You're so beautiful to me, Eunjung. When this war is over, I want to run away with you." Woohyun's cheeks were bright red like a tomato, shaking his hips from side-to-side and drunkenly lovestruck by her beauty.

"Ok, we're going to head back to the residences now," Sunggyu declared. "Will you two be ok?"

Sungyeol and Myungsoo grinned at their hyung, flashing two thumbs ups with bright smiles.

"Oh brother." Sunggyu rolled his eyes, slightly annoyed that once again he has to be the one to mother everyone. "Alright, let's go." Dongwoo, Woohyun, and Hoya dragged out of the bar with Sunggyu following from behind, bowing at 90 degrees to make up for the imbeciles he came with.

Taking a break at the bar, the six of them headed to a local spot in the village where the elderly couple that owned the place served homemade wine and homemade noodles in a very snug and homey room of comfortable couches and fine traditional decorations. They were skeptical about visiting this place after the most recent stint on their way to Chasong and the rumors of brainwashing, but the bar was suggested by a majority of troops in 77802 and 30298 as a trusted place.

The citizens in this area were not bad at all.

Sungyeol gulped the last of his wine, his lips and letting out a satisfying exhale. "This is the best wine I've ever had."

"Is it better than the homemade podoju my mom made that one time," Myungsoo smirked.

"What?!" Sungyeol wrapped his arm around Myungsoo. "No! Never! Nuh uh. Not in a million years."

"Sometmes, I really don't know who her real son is cause you're such a mama's boy." Myungsoo chuckled, shaking Sungyeol's arm off and drooping his head. "This bar was a great idea. The best idea you ever had."

"I'm chalked with great ideas," Sungyeol grinned.

"I'm also sorry about earlier today." Myungsoo leaned his head into Sungyeol's chest, whimsy in behavior after drinking several glasses of wine. "I didn't mean to push you, or hurt you, or yell at you, or steal your underwear, or..."

"Wait, you what?" Sungyeol grabbed Myungsoo by the cheeks, pressing them together so he looked like a goldfish. "You borrowed my underwear?"

"Like, once!" Myungsoo chuckled. "I hope you aren't mad at me."

Sungyeol was a little touched by Myungsoo's intoxication, bringing his head over to lean on his shoulder. Sungyeol wrapped his arm around Myungsoo one more time, the drunken feelings revealing the true feelings. "Myungsoo, you know I can never get mad at you. Whenever we fight, I do my best to understand your side. And I do understand, especially after what we went through yesterday. I don't want you to lose yourself, you know?"

Myungsoo could always count on Sungyeol to stay by his side when no one else would. "If I ever lose character, you need to slap me. And slap me hard, you hear? Do something. I need to go home to my mom the same way he saw me six months ago."

Sungyeol nodded his head. "Will do. The same with me, too. You have to punch me in the face, kick me in the balls, kiss me or something if the same happens to me."

"Kiss you?!" Myungsoo was surprised by the thought, leaning back in his stool and falling straight on his back in the bar.

"Myungsoo!" Sungyeol burst into laughter, jumping out of his seat and crouching down to help Myungsoo as his drunkenness reached the . "You have to get it together, everyone is looking at us! And soon enough the nice ahjumma and ahjussi are gonna kick us out of here."

"Ok, I'll get up!" Myungsoo snorted, sitting up from the floor and pushing himself up from the backpack he landed on. His arm was linked to the strap, incapable of shaking it off and cuddling it in his lap like a baby. Myungsoo leaned over to protect it from harm. "I'll save you, backpack!"

"Oh my god," Sungyeol laughed, pulling on the other strap to force the backpack away from Myungsoo.

"No Sungyeol, it's mine!" Myungsoo pouted.

"No it's not! It's owner is out looking for it!"

Sungyeol and Myungsoo pulled the backpack on both sides, inevitable ping the backpack and splitting it in half. The contents of the backpack flew out in the air like feathers, several different papers floating above them and landing on their laps. They made a whole mess in the bar, Sungyeol and Myungsoo having nothing to show for it except for the bag they tore in half.

"Look what you did!" Sungyeol complained.

"Sorry," Myungsoo snickered, gathering the papers in his radius to stack together and stuff into the broken bag.

"We're so screwed." Sungyeol found a folder near him, shoving it into Myungsoo's stomach. "Put it back in the damn bag."

"Yeah yeah, I got this." Myungsoo grabbed the folder and took a quick glance at it. "What? Details of Japan's Coming?" He showed the label off to Sungyeol, curious what it means. He tapped on the words with his finger. 

"What?" Sungyeol searched the area, picking up another folder and stack of papers next to him. The papers displayed different maps of Asia, all of them outlining the different paths of every country's incoming invasion to Yundo in different colored pens. "Isn't this the map Sunggyu made that one time?" He continued analyzing the contents of the papers, the folder he took labeled "Operation: Breaking Korea". 

"Breaking Korea?" Myungsoo seized the map away from Sungyeol for a closer glance. "This is Sunggyu's map but with every nation's plan of attack. This isn't Sunggyu's backpack though. He didn't come here with a backpack. Only his wallet. At least I don't remember."

Sungyeol decided to open the folder, reading the first page of what looked like a manifesto. "This document outlines the plans of Sotena's ambush on Korean troops entering Sotena and infiltrating Yundo from the northeast border. For the power and reign of Sotena, we bid you thee."

Sungyeol and Myungsoo shared a look, then at the ripped backpack right in front of them. The alcohol had seemingly disappeared, the curiosity of why different war strategies and a seemingly dangerous operation at their fingertips. Why was it all there? 

"This was all Sunggyu and Sungjong's plan to get to Yundo. Who's stuff is this?" Myungsoo searched the papers around him, going into the person's backpack to find something that would lead them to the right direction. 

That was when Myungsoo found something shocking. He ped the smaller pocket of the backpack, hidden inside the biggest pouch and retreived a small black and white photo. In between his fingers, it was a picture of a fellow soldier standing with someone right behind them. The person wore a military uniform, placing their hands on the shoulders of the soldier when they were only about 10-years-old. Myungsoo's body started shaking, covering his open jaw as his eyes teared up.

"Wait. No. No. This cant..." Sungyeol scratched his forehead, the proof staring him in the face. Yet Sungyeol refused to believe it all true. 

"Sungjong," Myungsoo whimpered, clenching his fists and banging them on the floor. He pushed himself out and stormed out of the bar.

"No! Wait!" Sungyeol frantically gathered the papers together, stuffing them in the broken backpack and cleaning up the area to make sure not a single leaf of paper was left behind. The information was telling, and if revealed prematurely could change the whole course of the war.

Unfortunately, it already changed in Myungsoo's heart.

 

(((())))

 

Hoya knelt by Woohyun's bed. The six friends shared a residence together in Senruma, three bunk beds together in the narrow room. There was barely any room to breath, Dongwoo lifting Sunggyu up to reach for the rickety window and open it for some sort of oxygen. Woohyun was lying on his sides, his hands tucked behind his head and several layers of blankets bundling him up like a cocoon. 

"Go to sleep idiot." Hoya ruffled the front of Woohyun's bangs.

Suddenly, Myungsoo burst into the room, wheezing as he hurled the door closed behind. The whole residence barrack was flimsy, everything shaking upon Myungsoo's entrance.

"Myungsoo!" Dongwoo held onto Sunggyu's waist, carefully dropping him to the floor. "Are you..."

Myungsoo stomped towards Hoya, a burning rage escaping him and revealing the monster hidden inside. He charged at him, lifting him up at the grasp of his shirt and with the most power he ever exhibited he threw Hoya against the other bunk. 

Sungyeol finally caught up to their room, slamming the door behind him and throwing the backpack to the side to split Hoya and Myungsoo apart. He held onto Myungsoo's waist, who was already in too deep. Sunggyu and Dongwoo lurched towards the fight to pull everyone apart, Myungsoo straddling his hands on Hoya's neck to choke him. Woohyun woke up from the eruption of screams, horrified in his bed to see his closest friends fighting with each other.

"Myungsoo!" Hoya shoved Myungsoo out of the way, holding onto his next with both hands. He was suffocating, losing the energy in his body for consciousness. His face almost turned purple, the room itself already claustrophobic for him. "What is your problem?" Hoya gasped.

"You!" Myungsoo could sense a waterfall of tears falling down his face, taking deep breaths and wiping away his fears on his sleeve. Hoya did not scare him. Myungsoo was determined.

"Myungsoo, please let him talk!" Sungyeol hugged Myungsoo from behind to hold him back.

"Me? What did I do?!" Hoya leaned over Sunggyu's shoulder, close to losing his breath.

"You're a traitor, that's what!"

Myungsoo heaved the paper straight at Hoya's face, catching it before it fell. The black and white photo was crumped from Myungsoo's fist, Hoya's eyes widened in worry from seeing it. It was a picture when he was still in primary school. He was smiling with his glasses on, the hands of his father standing right behind him in his own military uniform. "Myungsoo, why do you have this picture?" Hoya asked sternly.

Myungsoo finally spilled out what he had been thinking on his way running back to their room, all the anger culminating to this one defining moment of their friendship and the war. Nothing would ever be the same again. "You're a spy, Hoya. You're a dirty rat, and you got your own friend captured."

 


 

A spy? Hoya? Is this too good to be true? How could Hoya do this?

Stay tuned and find out!