Thanks to You

Eternal

Taemin spotted Naeun walking alone to a quiet area on the campus. He began to run to catch up to her. Taemin hugged Naeun from behind and surprised her.

"Oppa! You surprised me!" Naeun turned around, smiling at Taemin.

Taemin became jubilant at hearing Naeun calling him so affectionately.

"You're so beautiful." Taemin whispered. Naeun blushed, looking away. "Aigoo...you're blushing!"

"Everyone blushes." Naeun smiled.

"No one has a more adorable blush than you." Taemin said.

"Oppa, stop! Wait, I almost forgot to tell you!" Naeun's face became serious.

"What happened, Naeun?" Taemin asked.

"I have to leave home again for treatment. My days out of the hospital are over quicker than planned. The doctors don't want to risk it." Naeun said.

"Naeun....." Taemin sighed. Though he wanted Naeun to stay healthy, he felt extremely resentful at the thought that he wouldn't be able to spend much time with her.

"I'm sorry, oppa. I have no decision in this. If I did, I would have spent time with you, you know?" Naeun said.

"Naeun-ah, you have no reason to apologize. It's not your fault. I want you to get well soon. Then, we can do whatever we want. Let's buy couple items and shirts and everything! We'll go bungee jumping, too. Remember how you told me a while ago that you wanted to go bungee jumping with your first boyfriend?" Taemin smiled.

The smile was fake though. He knew that Naeun had a petty chance at survival. It was a miracle that she was even able to freely walk around like she did.

"You're too optimistic, oppa. That won't be my life. You can do those activities with another girl." Naeun looked away from Taemin's eyes, blinking away tears.

Ital: I am saddened by the fact that I won't be with you for the rest of my life, oppa. Even though these thoughts may be delusional, I cannot help but think that you are the one. You make me feel like I am the Queen. Why must this happen to me? Oppa, have a good life with your future beloved. I hope you take care of her as well as you take care of me. Naeun thought.

"Naeun, don't think like that! You will live. Stay with me. Stay with me for at least for seventy more years? You can do that, right?" Taemin chuckled.

Naeun smiled, as she heard her name being called. It was Jessica.

"Naeunnie! Sooyoung seon saeng-nim wants to speak with you before you leave." Jessica said.

Naeun looked at Taemin. "Oppa, I need to go." She slightly hugged him and left with a smile on her face,

Taemin watched her leave sadly.

Ital: Naeun-ah, how do you do this? How do you remain so jovial even with this bleak future of yours? Is it magic? Give me your optimism, Naeun. Why can't I enjoy the love you pour out for me without me thinking of your health? Is this what love is? I want to protect you, Naeun. But I don't know how.

~~~
Naeun knocked on the classroom door and waited for her teacher to open it. Sooyoung opened it and nodded at Naeun, who bowed.

"Annyeong haseyo, seon saeng-nim. Jessica unnie told me that you wanted to talk to me." Naeun said.

"Naeun, have a seat. I want to tell you something." Sooyoung sat down in a chair, facing Naeun.

"Naeun, I'm so proud of you as a teacher. Even as a fourth year student, I can't master your amazing singing skills. You have improved a lot this year. You have a gentle voice, Naeun. With even more practice, you will have the ability to sound like Kim Taeyeon. You have so much potential. Thank you for being such a great student, Naeun. Whatever happens, I'll be praying for you. God bless you" Sooyoung shook Naeun's hand.

Naeun smiled brightly and bowed. "Kamsahamnida, seon saeng-nim, I'll make you even more proud, okay? That is, if I have the chance." Naeun said.

"Naeun, are you done?" Jessica called from outside. Sooyoung chuckled at Naeun's sigh.

"You can go. I'll see you again, right?"

Naeun shrugged her shoulders and stood up. She stepped foreword to her teacher and hugged her.

"Thank you, seon saeng-nim. You really taught me something." Sooyoung smiled.

"Of course." Naeun bowed once again and left.

Jessica was impatiently tapping her foot as Naeun came out of the classroom.

"Unnie! You're so shameless! Do you know how mortified I was when you asked me whether I was done or not? That's so impolite, unnie!" Naeun whispered loudly.

Jessica giggled and said, "Mianhae, I wasn't really thinking when I said that."

"Alright. Let's go home now. I'm tired." Naeun said.

"Yes." Jessica followed her friend and the two walked in silence.

Suddenly, Jessica hugged Naeun quickly as they were strolling.

"What was that?" Naeun chuckled.

"I want to say thank you for being a great friend. If I've ever hurt you, I'm sorry and I'll be forever indebted to you for all your kind deeds to me." Jessica said.

"Unnie, you don't have to say things like that. You're my best friend. Best friends don't have to say sorry. We automatically know each other." Naeun smiled.

"Still. I felt I had to apologize one more time after the whole a Taemin-Krystal incident." Jessica said.

"We'll just put that behind us." Naeun said. They stopped at Naeun's house and Jessica waved to Naeun as she went inside the house.

"Umma! I'm home!" Naeun called. She searched for a familiar figure around the house and bumped into something.

"Oh, mianhae, appa." Naeun bowed. Naeun's father ruffled her hair and chuckled.

"It's okay, Naeun. How was school?"

"Pretty good. I'm done packing." Naeun said.

"That's great. We have to get moving immediately. I want to get a good room." Mr.Son said.

"Ne. I'll get my things then." Naeun rushed to her room and found her mother looking through a photo album.

"Naeun, is that you? I'm just looking through this album. Don't mind me." Mrs.Son said.

Naeun sat down next to her mother and leaned against her shoulder. "Umma, why are you looking through this?"

"I just want to relive all this beautiful moments we captured on camera. Hopefully, I'll see you grow up, Naeunnie." Mrs.Son began to tear up.

"Be positive, umma. You never know? I may get lucky."

"Naeunnie...." Mrs.Son leaned into her daughter and quietly sobbed. Naeun hugged her mother tightly.

Moments later, Eunji came in and teased the mother and daughter. "Yah! What is this? We aren't in a drama! Naeunnie, Sunny unnie wants to see you."

Naeun squeezed her mother's hand and left her side.

~~~

The moment Naeun stepped into the house, Sunny pulled her into her room.

"Naeun, I want to give you something." Sunny said, her back facing Naeun as she reached for something in the closet.

"Unnie, you don't need to." Naeun said.

"I want to!" Sunny insisted and held a glass dove in her hand.

"Naeun, this is for you. It's a glass dove. My mother gave it to me and she said that if I had any trouble, I should always tell my problem to the dove. I've been speaking about you to the dove, Naeun. Don't think I'm crazy, but I think this dove works. My dilemmas are always solved if I confide my feelings into this glass object. I want you to use it for your difficult times. I don't really need it anymore. Most of my problems are gone. Also, I told my mother about you. She says to get well soon. She'll be coming here soon."

"Unnie, I don't even know how to thank you for this! I will cherish this dove. Komawo! I cannot wait to meet your mother!" Naeun hugged Sunny tightly.

"You're welcome." Sunny smiled.

"Yah, I don't get a hug?" Taemin appeared in the doorway.

Naeun smiled and hugged Taemin. He kissed her on the forehead.

"PDA!!" Sunny scolded, staring at the two. Naeun blushed and walked out of the room, following Taemin.

"Naeun, I'll see you at the hospital later, okay? Eunji noona said that you are needed." Taemin said.

"Ne. Sunny unnie!" Naeun called from the living room, where Taemin had eventually guided Naeun.

"Ne?" Sunny came out of her room.

"Eunji unnie says that I have to go. Annyeong!" Naeun hugged Sunny.

"Naeun, be positive, okay? I'll visit you soon. You WILL come to this house again." Sunny said and watched as Naeun left.

"You're both blessed to have each other." Sunny told Taemin.

Taemin nodded, unable to say anything. Ital: Actually, I'm the one blessed to have Naeun.

~~~

The hospital room Naeun resided in this time was more commodious. It included two extra cots for overnight family members or friends and small sofa for visitors. It also consisted of a petite bookcase that had books lined up on the shelves.

"Wow, this is a decent room." Eunji commented, observing the entire room. Naeun nodded.

"Well, let's begin unpacking!" Mrs.Son said eagerly.

"Umma, even here you make us do chores!" Eunji complained, opening Naeun's suitcase. Naeun had brought two suitcases with her. One had a week's worth of clothes, while the other had pastimes, such as novels and her portable piano.

"Eunji-yah, stop being so querulous!" Mrs.Son reprimanded, handing her a laundry hamper.

"Umma, you brought too many clothes. I'm probably going to be in a gown most of the time." Naeun said.

"It's okay. They'll be there if you need them." Mrs.Son smiled.

There was a knock at the door and Eunji went to see who it was.

"Taemin! Come in." Eunji welcomed Taemin inside and closed the door behind him. Naeun smiled as she saw Taemin's tactfulness toward her parents.

"Annyeong haseyo."  Taemin greeted, bowing.

"Ah, Taemin. Come and sit. How are you? Did you come here to visit?" Mrs.Son asked.

"I'm well. I came here to visit Naeun, but also to help her unpack and do other small things. " Taemin replied.

"Aigoo, you're such a gentleman." Mrs.Son sighed in happiness. Naeun chuckled and went to roll the now vacuous suitcase to a corner of the room.

"Taemin, can you come here for a moment? I need help with something." Mr.Son said.

Taemin nodded and immediately followed Mr.Son. He was suddenly tense.

"He's so obedient." Eunji chuckled.

Taemin paused as Mr.Son stopped walking. He turned to Taemin and gave him a brief hug.

"Taemin,I want to thank you for taking care of Naeun. She really needs you at this moment. Please don't leave her because of her health. She loves you,you know? But thank you Taemin. You have done a lot for my family by standing by Naeun this entire time. I will now consider you family. Call me abeoji." Mr.Son expressed.

"Ne. I never planned to leave Naeun. I love her more than she loves me. I promise to be with her, Mr.Son." Taemin said.

"Thank you,  Taemin. Let's go inside. And, I told you to call me abeoji, right?" Mr.Son chuckled.

The two walked in and the atmosphere became carefree after Taemin was assured that he was not in trouble.

Author's Note:

Hi!

How was this chapter? I hope you all enjoyed it :)

Expect pleasant Taeun moments in the next few chapters :)