Eternally With Her

Eternal

Naeun stared at the window. She watched as two young boys cried for ice cream. She smiled. It seemed as if it was only yesterday she and Eunji would do the same. Naeun turned back to the hospital room and looked down at the door.
 

No one was with her at the hospital. She sighed. Her life had gone from peaceful to suspenseful. There wasn't a day now where she wasn't tense. Where had her happiness gone? It seemed as if the treatments were her joviality away. Naeun knew that everyone, including herself, wondered and feared when her last day would be. Water welled up in her eyes. Naeun wiped them away, refusing to cry.

 I guess this is my destiny. Umma, appa, Eunji unnie, Taemin-ah, I'll miss you all. You mean everything to me. Aiish, why am I thinking like this?

Suddenly the door opened and Naeun attempted a smile. Taemin skipped towards her and dragged a chair towards her bed.
"Naeun-ah! How are you?" Taemin smiled.

"I'm well. How are you?"

"I'm great, as usual. No you aren't okay. So I brought you chocolate!"

"Komawo. You're so kind. I haven't done much for you."

"Yah, you have done a lot for me! Besides, I wanted to give you this."

"Alright. How are your classes? How come you came so early in the morning?"

"I came early because I wanted to see you. It's lonely walking to university now. Jessica noona and Krystal walk with me, but they're not you. Sooyoung seon saeng-nim says hello. She misses you. Ki Kwang might visit you with me and Luna-ssi."

Naeun chuckled. "Aigoo....you're so sweet! You should go now. School starts soon,"

"Ne. Annyeong!" Taemin stood up and hesitantly leaned towards Naeun. Naeun froze and closed her eyes. Taemin gently planted a kiss on her forehead. He walked away, smiling. Naeun blushed and watched him leave.

~~~
"Excellent, Lee Taemin." Sooyoung applauded quietly. "Students,please note how Lee Taemin did not hesitate to go low. I've noticed that some of you have been scared to immediately sing from high to low. It's not difficult. I know you can do it. Taemin, please take your seat."

Taemin nodded and went to his seat. He never spoke in class anymore. It seemed as if his energy and enthusiasm left with Naeun. His "fangirls" bothered him often with questions about the absence of his room-brightening smile. He simply would shrug and leave. His smile was on a hiatus and may not come back
As class ended, Taemin hurriedly left the class and rushed to the large recreational area with an abundance of flowers decorated ornately around the area. He silently his phone and began to listen to his favorite song, "Why Did I Fall in Love with You?" by DBSK.

"Hello, Lee Taemin." A voice said. Taemin turned off the music and saw it was Yang Yoseob and his friends.
"Annyeong haseyo. Do you need anything?" Taemin asked politely.

"I need your life. Will you give it to me?" Yoseob snickered, as his friends burst out in laughter.

"Excuse me?" Taemin raised his eyebrows.

"Alright, fine. We don't want anything. But, how is your girlfriend?" Yoseob said slowly.

"I do not have a girlfriend." Taemin answered, thinking of Naeun. Was she his girlfriend?

"Really? Son Naeun isn't your girlfriend? What about Krystal Jung? And Choi Jinri? Oh, wait. How about Im Yoona?" Yoseob mocked surprise.

"Aniyo. I do not have a girlfriend." Taemin repeated.

"That's right. He only has play pieces." Junhyung, another boy, commented.

Taemin bit his lip from yelling. "Stop it."

"You know it's true. Naeun is soon going to expire and then you'll move on the the next girl. It's a good thing too. Naeun is such a loser. She doesn't even speak and yet people praise her. She's just a pretty girl. And even that prettiness is too much for her."Yoseob smirked. "It's a shame to be honest."

Taemin looked at Yoseob with fiery eyes. He went closer and contacted his fist to Yoseob's cheek.

"Naeun means everything to me. Naeun is beautiful and will be so much more than you will ever be. You are nothing compared to her. Have you ever heard her sing? She's clever for not speaking to losers. That's why you haven't heard her speak. You are a loser. I will always stand by her and her only. I haven't like a single girl other than her. Do not mistaken me for a playboy. That is who you are. My love for Naeun is eternal. I love her." Taemin rasped, enraged.
Yoseob blinked and then said quietly, "Alright. Chill. I won't bother you. You are serious about her. Wow. Come on guys. Let's go." Yoseob and his friend left.

Taemin sighed and closed his eyes.

 Stupid people. How can they even think that? Taemin thought.

"Taemin-ssi, it's alright." Luna appeared behind Taemin and sat down next to him.

"Luna-ssi, please don't tell Naeun." Taemin faced Luna.

"Naeun would want to hear about this. I'll only tell her that you became worked up in anger. I won't say why though."

"Aren't I coming with you?"

"No, Taemin. It's better if you stay away from Naeun for awhile."

"Why?"

"Because she doesn't like it when people get angry. You aren't the same when you are enraged."

Taemin nodded. "Okay, leave."

Luna smiled and said, " It's alright, Taemin-ssi. I'll tell you how she is."
~~~
Naeun nodded gently at Luna, who walked in with Ki Kwang.

"Annyeong! How are you two?" Naeun greeted. She appeared to be weaker than that morning. Her skin had gotten paler.

"Great. How do you feel?" Ki Kwang asked.

"I'm alright. I had to take some tests involving blood drawing, so I feel tired." Naeun replied.

"I see..." Ki Kwang empathized. 

"Where is Taemin?" Naeun wondered.

"He.....didn't come." Luna said quietly.

"Waeyo?"

"Because...." Luna began. She explained what had happened and how Taemin stood up for Naeun. She excluded the part about his confession of his love for her and other sappy comments he made.
Naeun gasped. "He really said those things? For me? Why?"

Luna shrugged. "Are you okay?"

"Luna, he shouldn't have. I can defend myself. He could have ignored Yoseob-ssi. He should not have let those words get to him. They were intended for me. Why should he be offended?"

Ki Kwang smiled at Naeun's naïveté. She still did not perceive Taemin's love for her.

"Luna, I have to tell you something." Naeun said. "Ki Kwang-ssi, can you leave for a moment?"

Ki Kwang nodded and left the room, leaving Luna and Naeun in silence. Naeun stared at Taemin's gift of chocolates.

"Luna, please tell Taemin not to see me anymore."

"Naeun....what are you saying? You like Taemin!"

"I do, but what can I do? I do not have long. This is cancer we are speaking of. I don't want him to break his own heart by loving me. I won't suffer by loving him. But he will. Please. Tell him. I do not know if he loves me, but I know he has feelings for me. Those, too, have to be exterminated."
"Naeun, this will not be easy. Are you sure you want to do this?"

"Yes. It's my only option. You can leave and get some rest. You've been spending a lot of time here, Luna. Annyeong." Naeun responded. She laid down, and faced her back to Luna.
 Goodbye Lee Taemin. I love you, but you cannot love me back.

~~~
"Annyeong haseyo, I'm Luna, Taemin-ssi's friend. Is he here?" Luna stood outside of Taemin's house and greeted who appeared to be his sister.

"Annyeong haseyo. Nice to meet you. I'm Sunny, Taemin's older sister. You can call me unnie. Taemin is here. Come in." Sunny welcomed Luna in and Luna thanked her.

"Taemin! Luna-ssi is here." Taemin descended the stairs and said hello to Luna. Sunny left the two and went back to her work.

"Can I talk to you outside?" Luna asked. Taemin nodded and followed her.

Luna remained quiet for a moment, before speaking. "Taemin-ssi, the doctors said that a for a minuscule time period, Naeun has to remain only with people of the same gender as her."

Taemin laughed. "What? So she can only see females? That's so ridiculous."

"It is but, that's what happened." Luna tried to smile. She knew this was a lie and she felt guilty for fabricating an excuse, instead of telling Taemin the truth. Luna believed that this was the only way to keep Taemin somewhat lighthearted and not brooding all the time.

"Well, I need to go. Annyeong." Luna said.

"Ne. See you soon. Wait, can you do me a favor?"

"Sure, Taemin-ssi. What is it?"

"I want Naeun to be joyful while at the hospital, so can you please visit me whenever you go to see her? I'll give her little gifts. She can enjoy them hopefully."

Luna bit her lip. "Uh, I don't know if she'll have time to see them."

"Waeyo? She'll have lots of time. It's alright. Just come, okay?" Luna nodded and waved to Taemin as she left.
~~~
"Naeun-ssi?" A young nurse called from the slightly opened door.

"Ne?" Naeun stood up, propped against the bed for support.

"Please do sit." The nurse rolled in a cart with food.

"Komapseumnida." Naeun reached over for the food.

"Naeun-ssi, your doctor informed me that you must be more lightheaded if you want to recover. Relieve all family problems and tension from your mind. Please, it's for your own benefit." The nurse said.

Naeun nodded. How can I?
A few moments later, the nurse left and her replacement was Luna.

Naeun immediately asked, "What did Taemin say?"

"He was disappointed. He might be a little angry at you, too." Luna lied.

"He is?" Naeun sighed. At least this might be better.

"It's okay Naeun. Things will turn up." Luna smiled

"Luna, it won't be that easy. Taemin has feelings. Its not as if he and I can just forget about each other. I don't even know where we stand to each other. We are more than friends. We have to be....Why else would he....kiss me on the forehead?" Naeun said.

"He did?!?!" Luna gasped. Her face lit up with excitement. "Jessica unnie will be so delighted!" 

"Luna, please don't tell anyone. That kind of slipped out." Naeun said.

"Of course."

Naeun sighed and closed her eyes. Hopefully, sleeping would help her mind be clear and satisfy the doctor into helping her health improve. That's all she wanted, at the moment. Her disease had to go away. She wanted an ordinary life.