Discovering Son Naeun

Eternal

"Noona, I'm home!" Taemin called, holding Naeun's journal.

"Taemin, how is she?" Sunny asked. Taemin smiled and set the journal down.

"She still has a great smile. She still has energy to speak and all. But,you can see that the treatment she's been getting has been wearing her out." Taemin replied.

"Aigoo...has she been eating well?" Sunny wondered.

"Noona! I don't know! Stop asking me so many questions." Taemin said, heading to his room carrying Naeun's journal. He was eager to begin reading.

Taemin jumped on to his bed and carefully opened the journal. The words "Son Naeun" were written in cursive on the first page.

 Annyeong haseyo. My name is Son Naeun. Eunji unnie's teacher created an event where everyone would write letters to their future selves. I thought that was a really cool idea, so I decided to do the same, except it would be on a larger basis. I want to show this to my future husband. I hope he enjoys reading this. So far, I plan on showing this to only Eunji unnie. She is everything to me. My umma is the only one who seems to show affection openly to me, other than unnie. She tends to spoil me, but I don't let her. Appa is my role model. He has a very leader-like personality, yet he has a sense of humor and is very funny.
My only friend in school that I speak to almost daily is Jessica unnie. We met through a vocals class and even though we had no similarities, we got along. I've spoken with a girl named Hayoung a few times, but it was too few to consider her as a friend.
Now about me... Jessica unnie says that I put other people in front of me. I am very empathetic, according to Jessica unnie. I also don't talk much and keep my thoughts to myself. I always smile because I know that there is at least one person probably worrying about me in this world and I don't want to worry them by not smiling. Well, that's me, Son Naeun, the nonentity of this world.

Taemin widened his eyes. Was Naeun really like this? Did she only have Jessica as a friend? Taemin always had people surrounding him.
Taemin flipped to the next entry. He noticed that there were no dates at the top of the page.

 I believe if a day is truly significant, then you will not have to note it down to remember it. So I will never have to write a date in this. Every day is precious. I am sure that I will remember writing this. My entries will also be short because I won't need to write everything. I have it in my mind. The only reason I'm using this is because it was given to me as a present and I will feel guilty if I do not put it to use in some way.
Today was extremely special to me because I met someone. A boy. I am not the type to easily mingle with people of the opposite gender. The person I met was different, somehow. He had brown hair and a beautiful smile. That smile was so genuine and heartfelt. It was wonderful to look at. His brown eyes always twinkled when he spoke. That's what captured my heart, I think. I saw at my university's orientation. I observed that he was always followed around by girls. I knew that we would never interact and that he would never notice me. Jessica unnie urged me to leave just when I saw him, so I never even had a close look at him. I never heard his voice. If two people are destined to be together, they will meet again, right?

Taemin gasped. Who was this other person that Naeun liked? Aiish. It's probably that Ki Kwang. Lee Taemin, you must act more manly! Taemin thought to himself.
He began reading the next entry.

Lee Taemin. That is his name. Onew oppa told me. I happened to have a tongue slip and asked him who. the boy was and it was Lee Taemin. I learned that he is very popular in school and that he has a group of fangirls. I despise people like that. He's probably arrogant and self-centered. It was a waste even thinking about him. He will only glance at me. I am nothing but a surrounding tree to him. On a happier note, it seems like Eunji unnie might earn a role in a movie! I'm happy for her.

Taemin dropped the journal. Naeun thought he was arrogant. What he feared was true. Taemin sighed. It was too good to be true. Why would an impeccable girl like Son Naeun fall in love with Lee Taemin? She probably hated him.

Taemin picked up the book and re read the previous entry. He paused and saw the word probably before arrogant and self-centered. He smiled and stirred new hope in himself. With anticipation, he read the next entry.

Wow, Lee Taemin is not so bad. He's very kind and maybe I did fall for his looks in the orientation. He's in most of my classes. That makes me hopeful because I can show him my charms. Aiish...I don't even have any specialties to show. There's not a chance we'll be together though. I am a nobody in this school full of people. It would be humiliating for him to date a girl who is timid and hides behind a piano and books to pass time. I doubt he even knows my name. He hasn't said it so far. Wait, actually never mind. He's said it a lot. I already lost my pride when I sang a song in front of my Vocals class, where Taemin was. I sounded terrible. My throat was sore. I don't think I should have volunteered to sing. Aigoo...Son Naeun...what to do for you?

Taemin chuckled loudly. Naeun and him thought the same thing. They believed that the other didn't like them. He began to feel giddy inside. Naeun actually liked him! A lot!

 Kyaaa~!!! Naeun-ah, you like me! And I like you! This is amazing! If only you were with me at this moment.....
Taemin sighed. He remembered where Naeun was and closed his eyes. He continued to read the journal. Pondering over Naeun's condition would not do anything.
There were mostly entries on interactions with him. He noticed something strange as he was reading. The entries seemed to get shorter as the journal went on. Suddenly, he paused at a certain journal entry. Tears streamed down his face and fell on the journal, wetting the paper. Taemin stared at the entry once more.

Date: April 5th

I wrote the date today. Though every day may seem imperative to me, it may not be that way for other people who read this. Eunji unnie can read this and it's up to her to who she shows it to. I will not show her this entry, like I usually show my other entries however.
Why did I write the date today? Lately, I've been coughing too frequently and too loudly. It's been going on for three years now; a constant cough that has not been decreasing or increasing. It has worried my family, but not me. I just assumed that my cough was a simple sign that I was sensitive to my surroundings. However, I've noticed that I've been getting weaker and emaciated. When I was putting on my jeans yesterday, I had an abundant amount of space left in the waist. I don't think the cough is so simple anymore. My lungs ache terribly. Maybe this might be my last entry.... What happened to the optimism in me? Aigoo....my hands hurt from writing. This is new as well. I love writing and was able to write for hours. Now, a simple 5 minutes and I can't handle it. Son Naeun, what is going on with you? Hopefully, you'll get better! I'll still smile. For Umma and Appa. For Eunji unnie. For Luna and Jessica unnie. For Lee Taemin.

Taemin couldn't handle it anymore. He took the book and shoved it under his pillow. Naeun-ah, why are you doing this to yourself? Taemin sighed. His eyelids gently closed, as he laid down thinking of Naeun.

~~~
"Taeminnie! Wake up!" Sunny urged.

"Why? It's only 12am." Taemin mumbled.

"Aniyo. You only have an hour before school begins." Sunny replied, clutching Taemin's clothes. She threw them at him and said, "Hurry and get ready!"

Taemin lazily got up and instigated his daily routine. As he came downstairs, he noticed Naeun's parents and sister eating silently. He immediately bowed and they smiled.

"Annyeong Taemin!" Eunji smiled, patting a seat next to her. Taemin tilted his head in confusion.

"I invited Mr. and Mrs. Son and Eunji for breakfast just for the sake of it." Sunny elucidated. Taemin nodded, understanding.

He quickly finished eating and fled the house. On the way to his university, he saw Jessica walking. He smiled and waved at her.

"Oh, Taemin. Hello." Jessica smiled.

"Hey, noona. Where's Krystal?"

"She's on her way. She overslept and I didn't want to be late for school because of her." Jessica
responded. There was an awkward silence. Finally Jessica posed the question she was meaning to ask.

"Taemin, are you alright? With all this happening....."

Taemin sighed. "No. I am not. I will not be until Naeun is out of the hospital. But like the doctor said, I will keep Naeun happy by smiling."
Italics: Like you do, Naeun. I will hide my pain just like you. Taemin exhaled loudly.

Jessica nodded and looked away. The conversation had ended, but her worry for Taemin had increased.

Author's Note:

Hi chingus!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! It seems depressing though.....

Well, hopefully this depression you feel while reading will end, right?