Their Hidden Pain

Eternal

Taemin took deep breaths, as he tossed and turned in his bed. It was no use, however. He was unable to sleep. He would constantly think about how Naeun was and whether she was okay or not. As Taemin was deep in thought, he suddenly heard footsteps and closed his eyes. 

"Taemin-ah, I know you're awake." Sunny whispered, sitting on his bed. Taemin opened his eyes. Sunny smiled at him and ruffled his hair. She wiped his damp cheeks with her hand and held his arm. 

"Noona, komawo." Taemin tried to smile, but he could not. 

"It's alright. I'm family. You shouldn't thank family. How is Naeun?" Sunny asked. 

"She has to get her priorities in order, the doctor said." Taemin replied. Sunny widened her eyes for a second and then quickly relaxed.  

"Aigoo...Taemin, come with me." Sunny stood up and dragged Taemin out of bed. 

"Noona, where are we going? Its 2AM." Taemin groaned. 

"Be quiet and follow me." Sunny said, leading Taemin into the kitchen. She sat him in the kitchen and began to pour milk for him. 

As she was heating the milk, Taemin inquired, "How is milk going to soothe me?" 

"I never said it will." Sunny stated, her back facing Taemin. She leaned against the counter in the middle of the kitchen. 

Taemin drank the milk hurriedly as Sunny handed it to him. 

"Taemin, I am going to tell you something. Do not speak until I am done speaking, okay?" Sunny made sure. Taemin nodded. 

"Taeminnie, I know you are fretful at the moment and I am too. Naeun is such a sweet and gentle dongsaeng and I wish I was like her. We must do everything we can to make her happy. She feels terrible now. Did you know that? It's not only because of her illness. She feels guilty for making people stay with her at the hospital and worrying about her. Eunji called me just to say that you were on your home and she told me this. Naeun is worried about you will not be taking care of yourself because of her. She says to be careful and take care of your health. Lee Taemin, I want you to obey Naeun, alright? Also, she is going throught a lot right now. Make her happy. Make her laugh. She really needs it. I'm spending most of my time there in the afternoon after work from now on. Please Taemin, do not put on a dull face around her. The doctor says she should not bear any difficulties at this time. Smile at all times. That's all." 

Taemin sighed. He closed his eyes and thought. Lee Taemin, make Son Naeun as jovial as she can be. That is your goal and you will exceed it. Fighting! 

"Ne. I will start tomorrow. Good night, noona!" Taemin said. He hugged Sunny and rushed to his room.

~~~

Taemin knocked on Naeun's hospital room before entering. Naeun's mother opened the door and smiled.

"Taemin, come in." 

"Annyeong haseyo, Mrs.Son." Taemin bowed. He saw Naeun quietly chewing on rice and sighed in relief. It was as if every second Taemin was not around Naeun, he would be holding his breath on how she was. Taemin would not relax until he saw Naeun's state. 

"Naeun...."Taemin's voice became dry and he was unable to say anything. Naeun's face had already changed by a significant amount from the last time he saw her, which was yesterday. She looked even weaker and she had bags underneath her eyes. 

"Taemin. You're here." Naeun said, looking at her food. 

As if on que, the people with Naeun, Eunji, Mr. and Mrs.Son, left the room. Taemin walked closer to Naeun and kneeled down. He took her hand and smiled. 

"How are you?" Taemin asked. Aishh. What kind of question is that? Of course she's not alright! Taemin thought to himself. 

"I'm alright. A bit weak, as you can see." Naeun chuckled. Actually, I am dying of pain. It's as if my lungs are being torn apart right now, Taemin-ah. But what good will that do to tell you this? You will only worry more. 

"Is this really you, Naeun? You're being funny." Taemin teased. 

Naeun laughed and said, "What about you? Where are your jokes and where is your humor?" 

Taemin shrugged and interjected, "Wait! I just remembered. Sooyoung seon saeng-nim, Ki Kwang-ssi, and Sun want to visit you. When can they come?" 

"Aigoo...I'm going to be treated soon. So, not many will be able to see until the day after tomorrow." Naeun pouted. 

"That's alright. I can tell them that. Get lots of rest, okay?" Taemin said. "I have to go, but always know that I'm here for you." 

"Taemin-ah, wait." Naeun held Taemin's hand. Taemin froze. His eyes began to water, but he quickly blinked them away. 

Naeun-ah, you called me, Taemin-ah. And, you held my hand. What is this? Is this reality? Am I just dreaming?

"You said that you were going to tell me something two nights ago. Remember? At 8:00, I was supposed to meet you..." Naeun recalled.

"Yes. I'll tell you it later, okay? Annyeong! Naeun-ah, be a good girl!" Taemin ruffled her hair and waved. 

Naeun smiled and waved back. Her expression immediately went dull. She closed her eyes and tried to think of happy times to distract herself from the pain in her lungs. 

~~~

"Noona, what is this?" Taemin questioned Eunji, as she handed him a journal. The two had arrived home after Eunji decided that she wanted to come home as well. Eunji had instantly taken him to Naeun's room, where she placed a journal in his hands. 

"Naeun's journal. Umma and appa told me to give this to you. You are considered to be so much to Naeun. She probably loves you. Read the journal. I guarantee that you will not regret it." Eunji smiled. 

"Komapseumnida. I will cherish Naeun's feelings." Taemin's spirit had gone up. Naeun loved him? 

As he left Naeun's house, he hugged the journal tightly and thought, Naeun, I cannot wait for you to show me the true you. 

Author's Note: 

Hi chingus! I'm back! 

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please comment if you have any suggestions or you want to share your thoughts! Thank you :)