Chapter One

Pinky Promise

Words in Italic are song lyrics! ^^

Song used in this chapter:

Sunflower by Super Junior & Someday by Super Junior

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnxlxRMqG8M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rSwnNf0yqg

----------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The tiny body sat at the benches of the soccer field, the sunset cast a long shadow on the grass.

He was like a sunflower because he sat at the same spot every day when the sun sets. He looked like he was looking at the sun, but he was actually looking at the sidewalk where his Dad would walk home.

Even at age of 8, Donghae already knew how to take care of himself.

A taller kid came in front of him, “Hey what’s your name? Wanna play?”

The stranger’s voice knocked him out of his daydream, Donghae fell backwards. “Owww my !”

But he wasn’t afraid of falling, he was more afraid of the bullies that came around last week, teasing him being an orphan and asking him for money.

“I don’t have money!!! Go away!!” Donghae screamed.

“Hey what’s your problem? I’m asking if you want to join us. Geez” the stranger argued.

Donghae looked up at the stranger, he couldn’t see his face clearly. The sun was setting in Donghae’s direction, all he could see was beams of light shining from behind the stranger.

“Ahh… I’m sorry... I thought you were the bullies from last time.” Donghae replied.

“It’s ok. My name is Lee Hyukjae, we need one more person on our team. Come join us! ” the boy had a gummy smile. He took Donghae’s hand and helped him up.

“B-But I’m not good at it…” Donghae stuttered.

“Aish! Just come!” Hyukjae grabbed his wrist and lead him down the benches.

“This is… What’s your name again?” Hyukjae asked as he was trying to introduce him to his friends.

“Lee Donghae...” He looked at the other boys without really looking at their eyes.

“Right! This is Donghae, and Donghae this is Junsu, Yunho, Donghee, and Jungsoo.” Hyukjae began.

“START!!!” the soccer ball flew across the field, the group of boys laughed and ran as if their life depended on it. 

And that day, Donghae found his sun.

A friend who gives him strength.

A friend who made him laugh whole-heartedly for the first time after his mother passed away.

Every day for the rest of the month, Donghae run as fast as he could to the soccer field after school.

As I whistle one, two, three (I’m walking along)
Today, again, I long for her
I don’t know the way to completely get her yet
But I send my heart to her everyday
I am a sunflower bloomed next to her (sunflower sunflower)
As I hum along (sunflower sunflower)

 

Until one day, Donghae ran to the fields.

The grass was still as green.

The sun was still setting, but there was no Hyukjae.

Donghae waited anxiously, a figure walked in from the opened gates.

“Hyukjae!!” Donghae ran towards him.

But it wasn’t Hyukjae.

“Donghae-ah! Hyukjae’s neighbor said he doesn’t live there anymore!” Jungsoo explained with sense of worry.

“What?”

“I don’t know…How dare he leave without a bye?!” Jungsoo continued.

“…”

“Anyway, Junsu is trying to contact him, if we find him we will let you know. Also, starting next week it’s the time for final exams, so we won’t play soccer until exam week is over. I know your grade doesn’t have these exams until next month. But still study hard! We will hang out again after this, okay? Bye~!” Jungsoo left these words that echoed in Donghae’s mind…

That night, his sun was gone.

Tears trickle across his nose as he cry silently while laying down. Although he have made friends with Yunho, Junsu, Donghee and Leeteuk, but they are not Hyukjae.  Hyukjae wasn’t just a friend.

Someday, we will meet again
Even though we don’t know where we will go

Someday, we will meet again
Someday, we will meet again
Just like this, just like this

 

The next time they meet again. It was 7 years later, but still it was at the same soccer field.

Donghae strolled along the soccer field after his vocal practice at SMent Company. A tall figure was sitting at the benches, memories overlapped, but this time it wasn’t Donghae sitting there. “Hyukjae???”

Donghae walked up to him, “Are you Lee Hyukjae?” The young man with dark red hair looked up.

“Donghae!!” Hyukjae got up from the bench, “You finally came!”

As if time had never elapsed, they continued their soccer game when they left it without a winner when Hyukjae was 10 and Donghae was 8. Donghae picked up a soccer ball, “START!!”

As I whistle one, two, three (I’m walking along)
Today, again, I long for her
I don’t know the way to completely get her yet
But I send my heart to her everyday
I am a sunflower bloomed next to her (sunflower sunflower)
As I hum along (sunflower sunflower)

A year after their reunion, the boys were playing soccer at the field energetically.

After spending much energy training at SMent, they still have much more energy to spend at these soccer games. Perhaps they find soccer games stress-relieving.

When the bright orange sun finally faded into the dark blue sky, Hyukjae lay down on the grass with both his hand under his head, followed by Donghae.

That night, they counted the stars.

That night, Hyukjae told Donghae he wouldn’t leave again.

 

But things don’t always work out that way….