Chapter III

Once Upon A Time

Third Person's P.O.V.

It was the 31st of December and there were only a few hours left till New Year. Luhan was busy cooking in the kitchen while Sehun was setting the table. Even though Sehun couldn't remember much, Luhan still wanted to give him a special New Year and he wanted this to be one of his best memories so despite the possibilities of going out for dinner or ordering take out, Luhan had been cooking for quite a while.

Sehun had set everything out perfectly making sure nothing was out of place. For some reason he felt that it was important for everything to look immaculate although it's just a dinner with his best friend. When he was done he sat around for a while before getting bored and deciding to go check how Luhan was doing.

Luhan was so focused on chopping vegetables that he didn't hear Sehun approaching so when a hand landed on his shoulder he nearly chopped his thumb off. Sehun was worried that Luhan had actually chopped his thumb off because of him, but then he noticed that luckily, Luhan had gotten away with a small cut. Nothing to worry about, so it didn't bother him much. Luhan, on the other hand, was freaking out.

"Scared of blood, huh?" Sehun asked with a cocky smirk, earning a glare from Luhan. The glare would have been more effective if he wasn't pouting, Sehun thought

Without thinking about it, Sehun got hold of Luhan's thumb and it until the blood stopped. Luhan felt blood rushing to his cheeks and looked away. This reminded him of all the times Sehun used to get hurt before the accident, and Luhan taking care of him. Now the roles were reversed. Ever since Sehun's accident Luhan had been dead scared of blood. Whenever he saw blood, images of Sehun lying in blood red ice from that night would play in Luhan's mind. Something he definitely did not need.

When he saw Luhan blush, Sehun quickly let go of his hand and awkwardly took a step back. "Table's ready".

"Why don't you go get ready then? Hmmm" Luhan suggested gently. Sehun decided that if his mother was here that is exactly what she would have said and she probably would have looked the same as Luhan right now. Messy hair, sweat beads on her forehead and a pink apron that said "Kiss the Chef". Gladly, Sehun thought, Wait what?!

Sehun smiled at the thought, though a bit sad because he had only talked to his mother once after the accident. Weird enough, he could remember her and most of his friends.  But Luhan, nothing. It was like someone had stolen just the memories related to Luhan, so now there was an empty space in Sehun's brain, where those memories should be. When he saw how much effort Luhan put  into everything he did for Sehun, the latter didn't know whether he should tell Luhan that he remembers everything else about his past; though there are some massive voids, but that, Sehun suspected, was because Luhan was involved in those parts; or whether he should just pretend that he has forgotten everything in order to not hurt Luhan.

*** *** ***

After what seemed like years, Luhan was finally done. He admired his work with satisfaction. He looked at the  time and his eyes widened, "11 pm already? ! I need to hurry!"

*** *** ***

23.50

Luhan had showered, changed and brushed his hair. He wanted to look impeccable for Sehun.

He had to hurry though if he didn't want to miss his special  present.

He ran down the stairs,  grabbed Sehun's hand and dragged him to the terrace above their apartment. Hundreds of candles were lit along the perimeter of the terrace and all the food Luhan had cooked was arranged on the table in the middle of the terrace. Sehun stared in awe. When did Luhan do all this?

Without stopping Luhan dragged Sehun to the further end of the terrace and looked at sky. "Any second now." he said still holding Sehun's hand, his eyes fixed on a spot in front of them.

As if on cue thousands of colorful (and very loud) fireworks roared into the sky and burst in a shower of colours. Three more waves fireworks followed. Two of them were brightly colored, burst in an explosion of colors and painted the sky a few metres away from each other. The other wave, however, painted words in the sky, in between the two colored patches. A message. "HAPPY NEW YEAR, SEHUN!"

The minute the fireworks faded away, the clock struck twelve and the official firework display of Seoul started.

Sehun didn't look at those fireworks though. He didn't need to. He stared at Luhan with his eyes wide, still unable to believe that his friend had gone through so much trouble just for him. Also, he noticed that Luhan had let go of his hand at some point.

Luhan turned to him and gave him his beautiful eye smile.

"So?" he asked.

"I...I-" Sehun pulled Luhan into a bear hug. Actions speak louder than words, he thought. He pulled back, too awestruck to feel awkward. "But why?"

Luhan hesitated. "Your first special New Year memory with me".

At those words Sehun's head felt like it was going to split in two. He clutched his head and felt like passing out. An image of a firework display with two hearts played in his mind, with the words Luhan just said echoing loudly. He dropped to his knees and closed his eyes waiting for it to get better.

"Sehun...Sehun!" Luhan shouted. Even though Sehun knew Luhan was right next to him, it sounded like he was far away. His head still hurt. His brain was trying to hopelessly hold on to the image of the hearts and track back to more information and memories connected to it. But there was nothing. Suddenly, just as it came, the pain ceased and Sehun leaned his head against Luhan's shoulder, who had his arms around Sehun for support.

With a refreshing gulp of water Sehun felt better and his vision cleared. "L-Luhan?"

"Hmm?"

"I...I sa- remembered hearts. Made out of fireworks." Sehun decided to leave out the echoing voice as he didn't know whether it was part of the memory or whether it was just his brain playing back Luhan's words.

Luhan's eyes flashed with...pain? Regret? Both? Sehun couldn't tell.

Luhan was regretting his choice of words. He hadn't thought that those words might trigger anything in Sehun. Stupid!, he thought. Of course, it would affect Sehun. Those were, after all, his words.

"When was it? What was it?" Sehun was impatient to learn more.

"Last year." Luhan sighed. "A first special New Year memory from you."

"To whom?" Usually Sehun would have been pissed off that he had to force the information out of Luhan. He'd just rather have it flowing. But he didn't care too much right now. At least he had a tiny bit of his lost memories back. Sort of.

Luhan took a deep breath. He pushed aside all his pain and plastered a wide grin on his face. "Why, me of course! Your BFF!" he said extending his arms and bowing.

Something's fishy, Sehun thought. Why would he give his best friend hearts?

"Why hearts?" he asked before he even realized he was going to.

"I don't know. Because you love me?" Luhan said smiling, Sehun was about to speak again but Luhan cut him off "As a friend."

And with that he went to the table and sat, waiting for Sehun to join him so they could eat. A clear sign that that was the end of the discussion.

I've lost my memory, not my brain, Sehun thought. He knew Luhan had avoided telling him something about that memory. Something crucial. There had to be more to it than just a present for a friend. And Luhan knew that. But what?

*** *** ***

A few hours later, while Sehun was asleep on the bed, Luhan stood in the balcony, letting a light breeze ruffle his hair. That memory, of course he knew what it was. Whether he should tell Sehun everything or not, he wasn't sure about. How would Sehun react to their relationship before the accident?

*** *** ***

1 Year Ago

It was New Year's Eve and Luhan had no idea where he was.

"Sehunnie! Where are you taking me?" Luhan questioned waving his free hand around trying to figure out where Sehun had brought him after blindfolding him. Sehun held his other hand and guided him along.

"Here!" Sehun announced taking the blindfold off. They were on the terrace above their apartment. "Any minute now"

Not even a minute later fireworks shot into the sky and while colorful ones painted a frame, orange ones drew two hearts.

Sehun cupped Luhan's cheeks and planted a kiss on his lips. " Your first special New Year memory with me" he said. The fireworks started fading, but Sehun pointed at the hearts.

"See the big one? That's me. Always protecting you. Loving you. Never leaving you." He pointed at the smaller heart. "The small one's you. Giving me warmth and love to keep me going. What gives my life a meaning." He then pointed at the nearly completely faded colorful fireworks all around. "And those? Those are all the happy memories we're going to make together. To treasure till we die."

*** *** ***

It was one of Luhan's favorite memories. But now, it seemed like the Fates had pulled a cruel prank on him and were laughing.

"To treasure till we die" he whispered.

Sehun had already forgotten.

*** **** ***

Once upon a time a prince and his beloved lived happily. Until, one day, an evil sorcerer stole their ever after by stealing the prince's most treasured memories.

*** *** ***

A/n: OMG!! I'm back!

I'm sooo sorry I disappeared for such a long time. And I won't update again for two more weeks as I'm in the middle of exams.

But for now:

Enjoy this chapter!!

And thanks to all my readers!!!

XOXO