Spin-Off Chapter

Sugars

spin-off chapter.

sugars & spice.


 

"Everyone, I would like you all to listen, alright?"

 

The teacher called upon the attention of every student in the classroom.

 

Everyone, even the ones sitting the other way around on their chairs, turned their heads at the teacher.  The words he was about to say probably caught their short attention spans. "We're gonna have a new classmate by tomorrow, so I hope you all take good care of - " Before he could even finish his whole sentence, a lot of his students raised their hands and spurted out dozens of questions.

 

"Sir! Sir! Is it a girl or a boy?"

 

"What school did he/she come from?"

 

"Foreigner!?!" The other shouted, making the class rise in even greater anticipation.

 

"Class!" The teacher spanked his podium. It seemed effective for it made the kids calm down. "Geez..." He pinched the space between his eyebrows. "Everyone, would you please give me a moment to even finish my sentence?" He asked, a little tone of irritation could be heard. Half of the class nodded their heads. "Then, I'm gonna continue, or rather, begin again." He cleared his throat, "We're gonna have a new classmate by tomorrow, so I hope you all take good care of her." By the time the whole classroom of students heared the news, all the boys rose up from their chairs - Hi-fiving each other, giving handshakes and bro. While the half of the girls all smiled cheerfully and sweetly at each other, thinking that "Hey, we still have some space for a new friend, right?" 

 

While some others didn't care, which didn't matter, there was one that caught a lot of attention from everyone. He was the one that mostly didn't care about the teacher's short-lived appearance nor about his little news. He didn't even bother to lift his head and escape his attention at the paper that he was scribbling and doodling on. Even if the whole class was in an uproar, the aura of unhappiness and the "I don't give a damn" feel could be felt on his side of the classroom. 

 

"I just hope she doesn't turn out to be like him." One gave out a grossed out expression. "Yah! He could hear you, idiot!" The other spoke, replying to the statement earlier. "Geez, it's a girl. She might have been a repeater once, but not three years in a consecutive row!" The other shouted, "Geez! You're the one who's gonna get us caught... And besides, he does have looks." "Whether or not he does "have" looks, it doesn't matter." The other whispered to another's ear, until the whole lot was updated about it, like the game of "Pass the Message". 

 

"He's supposed to be in college now right? That Kim Jae Joong?"

 

"Yeah. He's like, years older than us! He doesn't belong here."

 

"He didn't graduate yet? Wow..."

 

That was the daily life of Kim Jae Joong. His whole story was known a lot around town, for it was passed on from ear to ear quite easily, without a hurdle... Until the unexpected came. The next day, Jae Joong was crowned the early bird, for he was the one who first entered the empty classroom. What he first did was not sit on his chair, but to take out a towel, soak it all up at the faucets, and wipe his table filled with marker writings. Just hope these aren't permanent. Last year's was worse. I was suspended for vandalism. Jae Joong just shrugged his shoulder while cleaning his desk up. He had a longing expression on his face as he was about to finish with his "early cleanings". The next thing he did was, other than not sit on his chair and clean his desk, was to check if there were anything on his chair that could hurt him. Thumbtacks, needles, insects, bugs, glue, water... Whatever it was, he didn't like it. Yeah, he could've just fought back, since it would be reasonable. He was being bullied by students younger than him and, well, who doesn't want payback? Who could accept that? Everyone would be quite sure that these kids had no match on Jae Joong.

 

I've learned this all before... Kicked up on five kid's asses equals to 2 weeks of suspension and a ton of homework. And of course, the quite educational trip to the principal, never forget!  Thanks to my Math teacher for actually teaching me useful math. Not this kind of useless algebra shi - He couldn't even continue his train of thought. A lot of his "classmates" entered the classroom, and as soon as they saw a glimpse of him, even on their peripheral vision, they started whispering at each other. Chatting, murmuring, gossiping about him. With vicious and deadly glares. "...Serves him right." He heared one said as they saw him cleaning up his desk. 

 

...Why are these kids here early? Excited for your new playmate, huh? Bet she's one of the B's. With a capital "B". Everyone sat down, and as time passed, the teacher came in with a shadow tailing his back.

 

"Okay now, is everyone here - " He was cut off, yet again. The poor teacher, couldn't even use his old age as an excuse for deserving some respect. "Let's just skip this whole attendance thing and skip to the good part?" Everyone grinned at him. "...Ahem." He adjusted his glasses. "That's called an "Attendance Check" for you, Mister Jang." He backfired. Geez, just give this old man a break? I may be a fun victim of your pranks but spare the guy. He might gonna pass to the other side of the world dealing along with all your bull - "Everyone pay attention. You too Mister Kim." The teacher pointed at Jae Joong. "...Yes." He answered in a slouched way.

 

"Alright then, introduce yourself." A figure popped out of the teacher. And was they saw was the sweet aura the girl was possessing. Too bright. Jae Joong thought as he finally paid attention for once, out of pity from the teacher that is... She was smiling, non-stop, like something made her teeth stuck together the whole time. Might be glue but, oh well. Hands behind her back and feet together, she got all the air she needed to talk. "Nice to meet you everyone! I'm Shim Eun Young, I hope we all get along~!" She bowed a full 90 degree, with an additional of 30 degrees; her head nearly touching the floor. "...CUTE!!!" Everyone thought while Jae Joong rolled his eyes. Weirdo...

 

It had been quite a few weeks since Eun Young transferred to the school. And Jae Joong was quite happy for those past few weeks. He was happy about his current situation. Why? Because everyone forgot all about him and all their goldfish-like attention spans were somewhat moved towards Eun Young. She was kind of like a magnet, which made Jae Joong's life a tad bit peaceful. It was a great save for him. And every day, he saw that the writings full of bad things written on his desk became lesser and lesser. He could finally smile, even a bit.

 

"Oh yeah, and Eun Young?" A girl named Je Sun spoke to her. "...I-If you could, well, could you, uhm... Not to try and talk that much to that guy?" She pointed a hidden finger at Jae Joong who was sleeping at the very center of the back row of the seating arrangement. "...Hm? Why?" She asked Je Sun with a curious smile while taking a sip of her orange juice. "Y-You don't have to know. He's kinda... Well, off. You know what I mean? And I'd ignore him if I were you..."

 

"...Still no reason to why I need to."

 

"I said he's kinda off, okay?"

 

"But I'm seating beside him? How could I not like, ignore the guy?" Eun Young gave out a sarcastic tone of speech. I could hear you, you know... Jae Joong spoke in his mind, not being able to sleep at peace, especially at recess time. "Hmm..." Eun Young gave it more thought. Now I'm curious. I'm gonna go talk to him because I can! The free-spirited girl grabbed a chair in front of the man and gave his head a big smile "Yo~" She greeted cheerfully.

 

All she received as an answer was total silence. "What are you doing!?" Je Sun whispered from afar. "Socializing." She grinned at her, facing the back. The other girl dragged her away. "Hey~!"

 

"Didn't I just tell you to not - "

 

"...Socialize?"

 

"This is not socializing. Okay? Geez..." Je Sun tapped her forehead, "Will you ever listen to me?"

 

"I'm listening now you know."

 

"Then prove it." Je Sun put both her hands on her waist.

 

"You just told me not to get "friendly" with the guy."

 

"...And?" Je Sun made hand gestures to make Eun Young go on and continue. "Well, ugh!" She got a bit speechless. "Why won't you let me talk to the guy?! Is he cursed? Are you cursed?" Eun Young turned around and faced Jae Joong's head once more, asking him. "Well, cause if you're cursed then I'm really not gonna talk to you." "Eun Young, you don't ask people if they're cursed..." Je Sun pointed out, making the latter turn her head around and talk with the other girl once more. "Wait, did he do like, something wrong? Like kill someone? Which got him cursed!? Or voodoo magic perhaps? That might be interesting but it still would be creepy, to be honest.

 

"No one's cursed here, dear Eun Young!" Je Sun helped her realize things and shook her body. "Then why don't you wanna let me talk to him! Like everyone else! If not only one person agrees then that means he's cursed!" Eun Young insisted her ideas. "Ugh! Why don't you just talk to him and find it out yourself!" Je Sun stomped her feet in annoyance and exited the room, slamming the door behind her. It left Eun Young speechless. "Huh..." Hope she's okay... I got a bit too ranty there. She pouted a little, still drinking her orange juice. Her eyes got directed back to Jae Joong and she sat in the same chair in front of him again.

 

"Hey." She poked the center of his head. "You really cursed...?" 

 

The dead has risen.

 

"Wow, you're really and idiot." Jae Joong let out small chuckles as he wiped off the tears in his eyes. "I can't believe a person like you exist! You're even worse than Chang Min! Is he cursed? Are you cursed?!"Jae Joong repeated her words all over. He held his aching stomach and put pressure in it, as well as his reddening cheeks and face. "Ah~ Haven't had a good laughter for days... More like years!" He faced Eun Young eye-to-eye and gave a soft smile. "Thanks kid." He patted her head, giving her hair tiny ruffles. "Hey, you haven't answered me." He cleared his throat and rested his cheek on his palm, getting quite interested in the new girl. "Yah! I'm not cursed, stupid." In fact, I'm cursed with eternal beauty, if you could call that a curse. No one can come level up to my godly face. In other words, I'm blessed! 

 

"Besides, what made you think I'm cursed? Are you sure you're a senior high schooler!? How could you graduate with that childish attitude?" Jae Joong was betting that Eun Young had a mental age of a five year old.

 

"Well, it's just that, people are not talking to you, you know? Even the teachers..." She showed a sad expression. The boy's expression changed, too. "...Is it because you're being bullied? Is it because you're a repeater or something like that? Why don't you fight back, anyway?" She kept on giving him unanswered questions. Jae Joong sighed, "Kid, you wouldn't understand." 

 

"Hey look. I'm not a kid." Eun Young gave out a stern look. "I'm being serious here when you're the one who's supposed to be serious!"

 

He answered back, flashing her a cold face and a glare. "...Why do you care?"

 

"Haven't you heard? It's called socializing." She gave him a crooked smile, which made Jae Joong's eyes wide open. "...I know how you feel, so it's fine."

 

"As I said, you don't know anything kid." He said the same thing again, crossing his arms; Jae Joong raised an eyebrow at the annoyed girl. "I told you, I'm not a kid anymore!" Eun Young suddenly stood up from irritation and stomped her feet. "Here!" She smacked a bag of cookies in front of the guy. "I baked them! These will certainly make your whole sad life happier!" She shouted, walking away from his seat. "What did you say!?" He was about to stand up when she roared back, "These cookies are NOT cursed! I'm not cursed like you! Happy now!?" She slammed the door, alike to what Je Sun did.

 

Jae Joong was standing there, his mouth hanging. He looked alternately at the cookies and the door. "Yah! I don't like sweet things!" He shouted, hoping that the girl would hear.

 

"...Wish you would've gotten me something spicy."

 

It had been a few months now since the two started talking. They have been arguing the past few months, but atleast it gave Jae Joong's boost back. He was talking again, well, much more on the arguing side with Eun Young.

 

Today, it was Valentine's day.

 

"...Why are you wearing glasses?" And thick-rimmed too.

 

"Where'd you get your brains from?" The lost and found?

 

"Yah! What's wrong with wearing glasses!?" Jae Joong shouted.

 

"Hey! Brains are there for a reason, you know!?" Eun Young pouted angrily. Just because it's Valentine's Day you're gonna change your look and all. How ridiculous.

 

"You guys never match, huh?" Je Sun chuckled, watching the two argue. As time went by, the bullying got fewer and less harsher, and Jae Joong became, even just a little, open again with the others... Even if they were still kind of creeped out or weirded out by it, they were trying their best to adjust to the situation. The others who didn't want to have peace didn't matter. For as long as the situation could be solved, it was totally fine. Totally. After an awkward moment of silence, Eun Young stared at Jae Joong. "What...? He asked, looking up from the girl who was standing beside him. 

 

"Here." She put a box in front of him. It got him curious as he raised an eyebrow and grabbed it to look closer. "...Y-Your daily share of sweets. Today's fruit tarts." Eun Young was quite a bit shy saying it at first, but she managed to do well. The boy eyed the other for a while, "I told you, I don't have a sweet tooth like you girls do." He closed the box after taking a peek and gave it back to her. "I'll take it instead!" Je Sun ate one tart on the sidelines, while the two kept on arguing. "Not just one bite? Why won't you taste it? How many times do I have to tell you that there's no poison in there?" 

 

"A million times is not enough. I don't like sweet things." Jae Joong stared at her, "Oh yeah! How do you have all the time in the world to bake these? When do you do it?" He got curious and asked. "At the morning. I wake up early, you know." Eun Young smiled at him. "Is that so... Can't you make something, you know, spicy?" He asked, adjusting his glasses as he pretended to be busy browsing his book, ignoring the girl's puppy eyes and pleads. "Well, I dunno if there's a pastry that is spicy." Eun Young tapped her chin, "Is there Je Sun?" She asked the girl. Wait... Why would she...? Would she really do that? For my sake? Jae Joong gazed at her. ...But why? I'm not even that hungry. Why does she give so much time in baking these things? Especially in the weekdays? I mean, how does she do that? Won't she have like, enough spare time to do them? 

 

Jae Joong's train of thought kept on running and running, but the questions remained unanswered. 

 

Eun Young ended up falling asleep, and Jae Joong noticed this. He stared at the "Sleeping Beauty" and tried poking her with his pencil. "Yah... Yah wake up! It's Algebra!" He mumbled. Eun Young didn't budge. The boy's eyes ended up wandering somewhere else - At Eun Young's eyelashes, her cheeks, her nose next, and lastly, her lips. Wait, wait... Where am I looking at? Jae Joong flushed for a moment. Suddenly... "Miss Shim!" The teacher called upon Eun Young's presence. "Y-Yes!" She woke up, stumbled a bit on her seat and flinched. She stood up, holding on to her book. "Could you please answer this question we were discussing." E... Eh!? Eun Young was searching for answers, when she heared a hiss coming from Jae Joong's side. He pointed the page and the specific location of the answer. "Thank You" - Eun Young mouthed at him, but as soon she answered the question... "Wrong! My, you haven't been listening lately. You can sit down now." As soon as the Algebra teacher said that, she immediately glued her bottom to the chair and glared lasers at the boy sitting next to him. "Why you... And there I thought you're gonna help me for once!" She complained and crossed her arms with a big pout; Eun Young's eyebrows were cringing. 

 

 

"Heh. It's fine messing with you, that's why." Jae Joong gave another one killer grin at the girl. What...? She blinked twice. ...I think I heared my heart... Skip a beat. She slapped herself. No! No! No! 

 

As soon as Jae Joong noticed her weird actions, he chuckled at his seat. "You know, you're kinda cute when you're mad." What the heck is he saying...!? Is he twisting his words!?! "...What!?" Eun Young whispered in a shocked expression. "Could you, well, be mad for me everyday? So I can see your cute face?" He said it with a poker face, giving out a y feel. "...Are you on drugs?" Eun Young asked, blinking at him thrice. "Maybe I am on drugs... You're my drug and I'm addicted." He gave out a smug face. Corny and cheesy. Weird flavors. Eun Young thought. "You okay Kim Jae Joong? And don't worry, I'm mad at you everyday so you'll see it."

 

"Hey. I was serious."

 

Thump.

 

And the fact that Jae Joong said those words with glasses were kind of y...

 

"Ha..." He sighed a big one. "Jokes aside, frankly, you are spacing out quite a bit lately, you know?"

 

"And since when did you find out?"

 

"I stalk people." He talked with his eyes. What a skill!

 

Thump.

 

"Something wrong?" The guy asked, looking worried and all. It might be a joke but, it felt sincere for Eun Young. "...Yoo Chun-oppa liked my snacks." She lied. Yoo Chun never tried any of her snacks. She just said it to avoid the question. "Huh?" Jae Joong asked, quite a bit confused. "He eats a portion every time I make one for you." Jae Joong looked down for a while. "...Why would you even make those for me? I told you right? I don't eat sweet things; I only like spicy stuff. Why would you even do that anyway?" He asked, Eun Young answered a little late.

 

"...Didn't you realize? It wasn't for you. It was for me... Since the age of seven I've been baking, but no one tasted them. And because of that, I ran out of the drive or the energy to bake again. So after many years I tried again... The cookies were burnt, but someone ate them all. That time I was furing mad, but I was happy... Because the bag was empty and someone finished it. Even if they were burnt... You ate them. It made me happy, really. It was some sort of escape, and you were the freedom to it, you know? And it seemed that it helped you get over your situation... So I kind of wanted to continue baking them, whatever it takes to make you happy." Eun Young stopped talking and faced the ground. "And after that time you never ate what I made, like the fruit tarts, so I thought you hated them and just pretended to like them... That's what's bugging me." Eun Young explained it all in a whispering manner, and the time she lifted her head she saw Jae Joong blushing furiously.

 

"Eh? What happened to - "

 

"...Stupid!" He covered half of his face in annoyance, his eyes looking at the side and eyebrows furrowed. "I... I-I'd eat them all day, e-even right now...!" . It's because of you! It's all your fault you made me look... Made me look... Ugh I feel pathetic! My head's burning from the blood rush. Jae Joong looked at Eun Young's blushing-slash-touched face. You really are so stupid... You don't say things like that in front of a guy. Agh! I really do hate you.

 

"See? I have a spare cookie left over here!" He took out a cookie and ate it in front of class.

 

"Mister Kim! I'll see you at my office!"

 

Agh! I have to go now or I can't tell her how I feel...!

 

Everyone was already giving out chocolates to the people they like, while Jae Joong was stuck in an office the entire day. "Oh uh... Umm... When are you gonna finish sir? I kind of need to... You know, use the bathroom?" Use the bathroom? What kind of excuse is that!? You're getting even more lame by the time Kim Jae Joong! But then if I do say that I have to chase a girl, he'll be all teary-eyed and say "My, they sure have grown..." which I would hate. I'm overthinking again!!! 

 

"Well, today is quite a special day... Fine. I guess I'm gonna have to let you go."

 

"Thanks teacher - "

 

"But just remember this Kim Jae Joong! This isn't over." Cue dramatic music at the background.

 

Yeah sure whatever, bye now! Jae Joong slammed open the door of the office. He kept on running and running, passing by a lot of corridors and hallways filled with couples and students giving out some chocolates with each other. He still running until he was panting a whole lot and heavy. He was searching for someone.

 

And that someone was Eun Young.

 

The last place was the bridge to the other building, and that was where he saw Eun Young, holding another box of, well, maybe sweets? Heh. Found ya, kid. Though he was tired and panting from running around aimlessly, he slowly and stealthly walked towards her. He jumped on her and covered her eyes, making the box filled with mystery completely fall out of her hands. "Yah! What the - !!!" She got shocked, and it went along according to Jae Joong's plan. "What the heck do you think you're doing? Who are you?" Eun Young asked.

 

"...Where were you going?"

 

She grinned.

 

"Well... I'm just gonna go look for Yoo Chun-oppa so he could have his share of chocolates - "

 

"Are you stupid? Who are you finding for? Where are you going when the one you like is right over here...?" Jae Joong whispered to her ear. A small smile crawled up his face. Eun Young laughed and held his hands which were covering her eyes. "Okay, okay, fine... Can you take these off now?" She patted her hands while Jae Joong unusually followed her command. She turned around and saw the guy smiling at her, oh so very softly... "I have to admit, you look good with those glasses. It's... Hmm..." Eun Young thought about it, "Kinda spicy." She grinned ever so widely.

 

"You were pretty smart yourself." 

 

"Oh stop it you."

 

Jae Joong pointed at the box she was holding unto the whole time. "What's that?"

 

"Hmm~ I wonder?" Eun Young tapped her chin and grinned. "Your daily share of Valentine's Day chocolates, served freshly out of the oven!" She laughed. "Heh. you're really weird..." Jae Joong reached for Eun Young's face as he bent down a little and showed a smile he never showed before.

 

"Hey, Eun Young...? Remember that time when you asked me if I was cursed? To be honest, I was under your spell. That was the first time I had a good laugh since ages... That was the time I was revived back from the dead. And you were the one that helped me get out of my, well, ed up situation. And yeah." Jae Joong chuckled, "I did eat the cookies, since you caught me, I kind of got no choice nor escape now." He smiled once again. "And, honestly, you were really good at making these snacks, even if they weren't my taste. I kept on anticipating for the next one each day, but I can't, you know... Eat them without making me feel embarrased. They were delicious and sweet... Everything were. You made my one hell of a hole life change. You changed my life - For the better. Even if we had fights, they were fun, right? You made my every day life brighter and brighter each day."

 

"So you won. Jae Joong : 0 Eun Young : 1."

 

"Not once was a dull moment like the past. You didn't care if I was a in a ridiculous situation a repeater could ever get into... You didn't care about the . That's how weird you are... I just, you know, like-like you. You were the sugar to my spice, so now..."

 

"...Will you be my girlfriend?"

 

Eun  Young smiled cheekily.

 

"Heh. Oppa, You're so weird." She teased.

 

THE END.

 



author.

hi i'm dead.

wtf it's 3:00 am here. lol i'm tired, gonna proofread tomorrow/later.

i really do apologize for all the typos.

so yeah, sorry for the late update. i said it was coming up march or april right?

i had to fix the spin-off and decide a lot, and the result is this.

though it seemed pretty lacking, it was long for a 3 hour write.

why do i seem so romantic writing this at 2 am!? geez, i need sleep...

hope you all enjoy~ c:

and do comment if you liked it. which specific moment of the spin-off

and if this was better than the original threeshot. :3

thanks for reading~