Ice Cream

Sugars

 

ii. sweet tooth.

ice cream.


 

300.

 

Eun Young placed a wrapper of lollipop on top of her desk after eating one.

 

The cicadas were doing a chorus. Everyone in school was wearing their summer uniforms - Some had ed ones, tucked up skirt and rolled up sleeves. Other girls had their ponytails on and fans waving off their sweats, while the boys didn't bother and kept on playing basketball with damp shirts at the courtyard.

 

Summer was near.

 

And still, Eun Young didn't care. Hot. The heat was the only matter that bothered her. Her neck and forehead were a sweating mess, and all she had was a folder to take care of it. Her seat this time was near the window, and all she could see was the third years playing basketball while the other freshmen girls swoon over them - A lot. I guess they need a cooler even more. She stared at the crowd flocking the third years. The other girls were spazzing, fangirling and melting by their mere presence. With the heat itself and the hot, good looking sunbaes, why wouldn't they dare melt? It was self-study and no one bothered to study with this heat. Not even the nerd's head was working. The sun's heat was too striking to even care about grades. I'm beat. Eun Young cringed her forehead and closed her eyes as she stopped waving at her neck and sighed. Just then, when she was about to invite Je Sun somewhere else...

 

"Eun Young~!" A girl near the door called her attention, "Some guy out here is looking for you!" Eun Young blinked twice and didn't bother hesitating to stand up and go to him. "Who is it?" Before taking a peek on the guy, she asked the girl, "Some sophomore, I guess... And he's really good looking!" The girl giggled and nudged Eun Young. She looked at the guy who flinched at her cold stare. As expected by the "Ice Princess", you would always get caught by her stare! "What is it, sunbae?" She asked while the guy scratched his neck, "Uhm, why don't we go talk? Let's head over the big tree near the courtyard..." 

 

"Sure." Eun Young knew what was coming.

 

"A confession!?" Everyone who was near the sight murmured along with each other as the sophomore and Eun Young headed out. "Again? I bet he's just gonna be dumped." A guy teased, "And he's good looking too, what a waste." Another girl tisked and shook her head. "Hadn't these guys learned their lesson? Do they know how many people Eun Young rejected? Heh! What an unlucky guy!" Another screamed while the guy beside him answered back, "Yah! And you also wanted to confess to Eun Young, right!? Look who's talking!"

 

"S-Shut up!"

 

"He's just gonna get dumped, flat out straight!"

 

"Geez everyone, settle down!" Je Sun entered the class and looked around, "What's up anyway?"

 

"Another guy." A girl approached her and grinned, "They're near the courtyard tree. The biggest one in campus, if you're gonna ask." She informed Je Sun who was clueless just seconds ago, "Why don't we spy at them?" One mocked and encouraged everyone. "Do you want Eun Youngie to get mad at you?" Je Sun sighed and put her both hands on her waist, "Gee, another one...? Didn't he get the slightest gist that Eun Young would just reject him like the others? The rumors are all over the place, and he didn't hear it?" Je Sun asked to herself and shook her head. I wonder why they even try... She headed out to the courtyard.

 

Hot. Eun Young thought once more as she squinted her eyes and adjusted her collar. The sophomore was walking ahead of her, like he was leading the lead. Usually, at these situations, Eun Young would always walk head first, but she was too bothered by the scorching heat that she didn't want to move her legs and fasten her pace. Eun Young glanced at her right and saw her brother, Chang Min, along with his friends playing basketball. At this heat? Are they immune or what!? She stopped for a while and scanned at everyone's faces. 

 

Chang Min-oppa... You at this! Oh wait, another foul!

 

Yoo Chun-oppa! That's cheating...

 

Yah! Yun Ho-oppa is swift! And fast~! 

 

Jun Su-oppa! Steal the ball now!

 

As much as Eun Young didn't want to admit it, she was enjoying the game. The few upperclassmen she was close with was in front of her and enjoying their hot day under the sun playing ball, who wouldn't enjoy? Because her brother was Chang Min, she got the opportunity to get close to the others, though they were the first ones to approach her and introduce themselves to her. They didn't bother about her chic and cold aura that was surrounding her, all they did was smile at her, pat her head and laugh while they say their names aloud in front of Eun Young. Heh. Why am I suddenly remembering all these? The heat sure does make people's minds go crazy. And then, there was Kim Jae Joong who just made a shoot. He was flying in mid-air as he threw the ball in the ring and landed on his feet, their opponents were irritated with the score of 4-1, while Jae Joong and his team cheered. The girls beside Eun Young screamed for Jae Joong's one of a kind shoot, too! They were all praising his victory, while Eun Young just stared at his profile - Sweaty profile, that is. His face, arms and body were glimmering under the sunlight, well, all because of the perspiration on him. His heavy panthing created a hot ball of gas as he breathed in and out, catching his breath and exhausted.

 

"Steaming hot!" All the girls shouted in unison. While Eun Young's eyes were distant. 

 

Thump.

 

Weird... I am.

 

She starting fishing for something in her pocket and walked away as the game finished. She stared at the ground while finding for something in her pocket. Ah. It seemed that she got what she wanted and took out a piece of lollipop. She opened the wrapper, popped it in and kept the red wrapper in her pocket again for some reason... 

 

301. 

 

Eun Young approached the tree where the guy was waiting. She kept quiet for a while, waiting for the guy to speak up first, "I uh... Uhm - " He was interrupted by Eun Young, "So, what do you want to talk about?" She asked while munching on her red, strawberry-flavored lollipop. "Well, I, uh... I just wanted to tell you something. That I - Uh..." He fidgetted on his spot, lowered his flushed head and murmured to himself. "I like you." He confessed and looked up, avoiding eye contact with Eun Young. The whole situation was quiet for a while. Eun Young just stared at him. He didn't try staring back. It was like some kind of staring competition... "You d-don't have to give your answer now... You could tell me anytime - "

 

"I don't need it." Eun Young suddenly blurted out. "...What!?" The guy raised his head with rounded eyes in shock. "My answer is no. I'm sorry." She flat out rejected him - As expected of the "Ice Princess", it was true, every guy that would confess to her would always be rejected. Always. Not once was given a chance, not one person passed the test, not one guy was able to hear the miraculous word called "Yes". "O-Oh..." It seemed like the guy didn't expect that. Well, he did have good looks, but yeah... To bad for the guy. 

 

Everyone was probably pitying him at that point of time whenever they would find out. 

 

"Ah!" Eun Young turned around as she heared a gasped behind her. It was Je Sun. Right on time! She interrupted the confession and covered , "I-I'm sorry for disturbing you! Go ahead!" She said as she made hand gestures and walked out of the scene when, "Ah, Je Sun~ I'm parched." Eun Young whined and walked toward Je Sun, leaving the guy behind with his hands clutching his pants tightly. "Let's go buy something, my treat!" Eun Young clinged her arm onto Je Sun's and left the scene, while she turned around to look at the condition of the guy and made a sad expression, "He looks like he's gonna cry..." Eun Young kept quiet, "A sophomore? Crying? Shameless." She whispered while Je Sun caught up every word, "Hey! That's not very nice..." "Well, I mean, it makes sense, right? Why would a sunbae cry over such small matter?" Eun Young kept on eating her lollipop, her left cheek bloated. "I guess he really did like you, and hearing him get rejected, it might've hurt." Je Sun frowned and lectured Eun Young, who was older than her. "What's hurting me right now is this heat. Now let's go! I'm dying, fast." She kept on complaining.

 

"Are you just gonna leave him like that?" Je Sun pitied the guy, "Why not? You know what they say, "Life is like a box full of chocolates, you never know what you would get"." Eun Young pointed a finger and waved it around, "So...?" Je Sun blinked at her and tilted her head, "It means that you will never know if you would get a "Yes" or a "No" at confessions. Like at a Math test for example, you could get a perfect grade or a failing one. A smart person might get a failing grade while an idiot might get a high grade and vice versa. You never know what to expect. But I do - And it's a failing score at Maths." Eun Young laughed at her own joke.

 

Je Sun made a sarcastic look, "I don't get you... And "A box of chocolates", really? Says the girl who doesn't even eat sweets..." 

 

More like miraculously ate sweets... Je Sun thought as she stared the half finished lollipop that Eun Young was eating. 

 

"Got a problem?" Eun Young smirked and dragged the latter towards the canteen, "Hurry up or I'm going to be a mush of goo!"

 

Je Sun blinked at what she was holding on to. Ice Cream.

 

Not like she was questioning the use of ice cream... I mean, ice cream is cold, and it's a must for you to eat ice cream on a hot, summer day. But... She stared at Eun Young who was a mint-flavored popsicle. Of all people, I didn't expect her to eat ice cream... And she's the one who treated it to me herself! Je Sun bit her lip and hesitated on the ice cream. I guess the heat does affect your way of thinking, but oh well~ Je Sun shrugged and just ate the ice cream. They were walking along the hallways while eating ice cream. I never knew she had a sweet tooth. Je Sun was sharing a lot of stories with Eun Young, while she just nodded and answered back a few words as a reply whenever Je Sun would talk to her. She was too busy with her ice cream. Je Sun was fine with it because she was used to Eun Young's little reactions whenever they would chat. "Yeah." Eun Young murmured.

 

Je Sun was used to her one-word reply, nodding and shaking her head in disagreement, she was always like that. But still, I'm glad she talk a lot more than the last time. Eun Young was a quiet, timid, and usually an emotionless girl. Though sometimes Je Sun just couldn't read her thoughts anymore, she'll just shrug it off. "Anyhow, why'd you reject him? I mean, he does have looks..." 

 

"So what about looks?" Eun Young whispered under her breath, "I don't even know the guy."

 

"Well, that's the thrill, right? What would even make you answer a guy who confesses to you, anyway?" Je Sun asked.

 

"He should be tall. Taller than me. Good at sports, has a killer-smile, funny, cute and being hot at the same time and..." Eun Young tapper her chin, "What else...? Ah! He should have a wonderful skin tone!" Eun Young grinned to herself. Yep, yep! That's about it! Je Sun stared at Eun Young with a judging face, "What?" Eun Young raised an eyebrow, "...That's it? I don't get you, really..." She rolled her eyes and just kept on eating her vanilla ice cream with some chocolate sprinkles on top. "Ah! There's also - "

 

"Eun Youngie~!!!"

 

A crowd from their back shouted her name and called their attention.

 

Eh? Eun Young turned around and blinked. To her surprise, it were the third years nearing the two. "Hey~!" Jung Yun Ho grinned, "Who was that guy?" He asked, "Your boyfriend, eh~?" Park Yoo Chun nudged Eun Young who kept her pokerface while Je Sun watched in the background, "Instead, wasn't that a confession just now?" Kim Jun Su asked, "Tch. You? Get confessions? I never knew that." Chang Min sat behind the group and avoided contact with Eun Young. Yep, it was true that it was a hate-hate relationship, "It's none of your business now." She kept a straight face. "Well, I did hear that our Eun Youngie does get a lot of confessions lately." Jae Joong suddenly came out of the lot and shot a smile.

 

Thump.

 

302.

 

"Er, yeah, that's true!" Je Sun suddenly interrupted, "I guess you wouldn't believe it, but she dumped him like, woah!" Eun Young dragged Je Sun's arm and had a meeting in a corner. "Shh! Keep quiet! Don't even say a word..." Eun Young's voice trembled as she warned Je Sun who was completely confused, "Eh? Why?" She kept on tugging the latter's sleeve, "Just do what I say..." They got back to the group and Eun Young tried to speak, "I... Er..." She blinked twice and hung her head low. "Well anyways, sorry to bother you about it!" Yun Ho spoke and flashed a faint smile, "I guess it's kinda bothersome for us to ask about, well, you know, personal stuff." Yoo Chun added who nudged the other guys and nodded, "Anyways, we'll be going now, okay~?" Jun Su waved a hand at us, while Je Sun responded with a wave as the others also said their goodbyes and passed by us, "Oh yeah. The key's on the pot." Chang Min informed, "Mm'kay..." Eun Young responded who pouted and looked at the other direction. 

 

"Sorry about the others by the way." Jae Joong patted her head. Eun Young's eyes widened, and Jae Joong saw nothing. She was hangging her head low, hair covering the sides of her face. A faint, pinkish blush appeared on her cheeks. She couldn't lift her head even just a little - Eun Young didn't want to have eye contact with the guy that was infront of her. His hands were kinda wet. Sweat, maybe? Even though Eun Young would like to see his worn out profile just a little, she couldn't. She couldn't look him in the eye.

 

All the courage she had a few minutes ago were gone.

 

She felt a tightening around her chest as Jae Joong messed her hair which was just neatly groomed seconds ago. "They're just too troublesome, you know?" He nodded at Je Sun who gave him a grin, "We saw it while we were playing at the court by the way, I hope you don't mind..."

 

"Don't get too disappointed! Maybe one day, the guy you like would also confess to you, then you wouldn't need to take care of all the confessions of the other guys out there. You can flat out say "Yes", right?" Jae Joong confronted the girl who nodded at his advice. He was happy of what he said and let go of Eun Young's head. He took a piece of lollipop and ate it, "Bye then!" He turned around and waved a hand, the other in his pocket. The two girls were left in the hallway, ice cream melting in their hands. Well, it was only Eun Young's ice cream left unfinished. "Oh! Look!" Je Sun looked at the stick of her ice cream, "It says "You won't be able to make it"! Aw, and I thought these were called "Lucky Ice Cream"..." Je Sun pouted and waved her stick. Eun Young lifted her head a little and remembered about her ice cream, it was meting in her hands! Aw... Sticky. She lifted it up to eye level and saw what was written.

 

"You - Like ice, would melt."

 

"Heh." Eun Young suddenly blurted out, it caught Je Sun's attention, "What does it say?" Je Sun tried to pick, but she couldn't get a gist of it. "Quite accurate." Eun Young smiled to herself and took a piece of the same lollipop Jae Joong would eat and munch on it. 303. I should eat another later since I missed the chance to eat the 302nd a while ago. While Eun Young was eating the sweet, she suddenly flushed and stopped walking, "Eh? Eun Young, what's up? Are you alright?" Je Sun neared the girl and gasped. She grinned right after, "Huh, so I guess the "Ice Princess" is in heat." Definitely Jae Joong-oppa~ Je Sun skipped all around.

 

The 303rd lollipop felt warm in .

 

On her 1st year of Middle School, Eun Young felt very hot and warm on a summe day.

 

It's quite hotter today than I thought...

 

Her frozen heart melted in the summer heat. Like Ice Cream.

 



author.

in our place, our ice creams were quite unique.

after i eat the ice cream, i would always look at the stick with words embarked on it.

like "let's go!" or "you'll have bad luck". they call the ice creams like "lucky" of some sort.

if it's an object like "fan", you'll have to claim a fan at the store.

i also like strawberry flavored lollipops, the ones that makes your lips and tongue red.

i would also explain why eun young collects the wrappers on the last chapter!

so, i hope you understand the scene a bit more now. i hope you enjoy~ :3