That bracelet

Papillon's Worth

I woke up the next day by the text of Kyuhyun saying, “Hey, Sungmin! Could we meet today at 1 PM at my place? I have an important place to go to but I don’t have any companion... so, could you accompany me? You’ll surely have fun. Hoping for your kind response XD” I wonder where we’ll go so I decided to just join him later. I replied back to him saying “Sure.”

I got a lot of time in my hands so I didn’t hesitate to join him in the endeavour of his.

As soon as I finished eating my lunch, I got dressed up and went to his house. I saw him standing just in front of the gate of their house, with one side of his back pack hanging on his right shoulder.

“Hi Kyu! So where are we going? And why are you bringing a bag? Are we gonna go hiking or something?” I questioned out of curiosity.

“I’m gonna attend a practice of a musical I’m taking part in. I invited you because I think you’ll enjoy watching our practice. But it’s okay if you don’t want to come! But, you have come all the way here just to accompany me at the practice so I think you’re left without a choice – you’ll come with me”.

“Of course it’s alright! I have nothing to do in our house, so I’ll just accompany you, okay?”

“Okay. Let’s go.”

We then took a taxi to drive us to the auditorium where he’s supposed to practice at. As we arrived there, he went to the other cast of the musical and I watched him from afar on the seats at the back. He was happily chatting with the other members when someone, maybe from staff signalled then that the practice will start soon.

They started practicing as soon as possible and fortuKyuely, I heard his wonderful voice again.

“The days of merely beauty / with the mere good things that you and I / we two used to see together, eat together, hear together, cry together, laugh together / Thank you for standing by me, believing in me so that I wouldn’t collapse / really, thank you”.

He looked so happy standing on the stage. I didn’t even know he was good at this field though he was just one of the supporting characters.

After their practice, we went back home together, reminiscing all the happy thoughts that happened moments ago.

* * * * * * *

After how many days, our bond has gotten so much stronger, like we’re truly brothers. We went to the mall to play at the gamers’ arcade, bought stuff that we liked just like console games, ate at our favourite restaurants and hang out just the way we wanted to be.

“Oh! A butterfly!” I said out of the blue while we were sitting on a bench outside of the mall and resting for a while.

“Ah! A papillon,” he abruptly said while looking and smiling at the butterfly.

“A what? Pap-papi – what?”

“A papillon. P-a-p-i-l-l-o-n. Pa – pi – llon,” he uttered carefully like he was teaching a kindergarten pupil. “It’s a French word meaning butterfly. You pronounce it as pa-pee-yawn.”

“Oh,” I just nodded. Why would he use papillon when he could just say butterfly? Eerie.

“So, could we go now? We have been here for too long already!”

“Yeah, sure.”

“Oh, andante, andante,” he uttered while I was trying to get a grip of the paper bags that we have collected here in our trip. We’re boys, but I feel so girly for bringing these things around me. Wait, what did he say again? Andante? What’s that?

“W-what?” I asked with my brows crooked.

“Andante means slowly. Slowly get the bags. Some of them have contents which are fragile.”

“Oh. You’re like a dictionary, a foreign dictionary, with all the words you’re telling me,” I said jokingly.

“Well, I just have too much time in my hands, I guess, to search for foreign words. I want to be multilingual, as you can see.”

“Okay, work for it, and you’ll surely achieve it. Okay, let’s go!”

* * * * * * *

It has been three weeks now since I met Kyuhyun. And these three weeks had been one of the best and most fun happenings in my life. When we don’t have anything to do, we usually hang out at his house and play Annihilation: The Euphoric Attack. Sometimes, we get bored, so we go to the mall to eat at the restaurants and buy numerous stuff we just like to buy. My wallet’s gonna go bankrupt if ever I’ll be with Kyuhyun for a long time.

One day, we didn’t have anything to be busy for, and Kyuhyun didn’t have his practice, so he decided to invite me over at his house. We played (as usual) and talked just about anything.

“Hey, Sungmin, can you please go to my room and get my cell phone? I haven’t opened it since this morning. Maybe there were important messages sent to me there,” Kyuhyun said while still getting a hold of the play station controller, his eyes glued to the TV.

“Aish. You’re just lazy. Whatever. Okay, okay. I’ll get it.”

“Thank you.”

I went upstairs to his room and after circling the room, I finally found it. It was really a boy’s room – messy, unorganized, and unpleasant.

“Hey, hey, here’s your cell phone already. You didn’t even get a single call or text from anyone! Hahaha,” I jokingly said as I gave his cell phone to him.

He checked his cell phone for a while and exited the game he’s playing. He went over to me but his attention was turned to my opened bag, which he looked at curiously. I just stared back at him but what shocked me the most was that he got my bracelet from my bag and told me it was his.

“Hey! How did you get this, huh? I just told you to get my cell phone from my room and not to steal anything from me!” he shouted. Anger was evident on his face.

“That’s mine, okay? Maybe we just bought the same thing!” I was shocked at what he did so I also shouted at him.

“How could we even buy same thing? It’s custom-made and my mother said only I have this kind of bracelet! You filthy bastard!”

“Bastard?! Fine, fine! Take it if you want to! Who even cares? Take that stupid bracelet with you!” I stated as I got my bag from the couch and I was ready to get out from his house but he gave me a strong punch on the face which made me fall on the floor. Why is he having such a big deal with that bracelet? “It’s just a bracelet, okay?!”

I didn’t punch him back. Instead, I just stood up and went out of his house. I don’t want to cause quarrels, you know.

From that day on, I started to believe that people will judge you though they don’t really know you. I just hate being judged just because I was misunderstood. I don’t want to talk to him. I just want to be alone in my room.  I don’t care about him anymore. I just don’t care about anything right now. I just want to cool down.