Day 7 - Karaoke and Strangers

Jongkey Advent Calendar

“I am sorry, but I am afraid all our rooms already are occupied.”

Kibum turned to face his tall friend disappointed – Minho had just received a bad grade on a test he had studied for over a long period of time, so he had been feeling unhappy for the whole day. He had really wanted to go home and continue studying immediately, after the last lecture, but Kibum had stopped him, being sincerely concerned for his friend and had asked him to at least relax for the evening, before going back to studying. 

That is how they had ended up where they now were; at a karaoke bar in the center of Hongdae.

“You do not have any room left, at all?” Minho asked surprised, eyes wide as ever.

The receptionist checked the computer screen in front of her once again – or at least she pretended to be doing so, you would never know – before looking up at them. “I am really sorry—”

She was cut off by a small and obvious staged cough. “Excuse me...”

All of their attentions were directed towards a short white-haired guy, who was sloping up against the counter besides them. His nose was a tad too big and bumpy, according to Kibum, but his eyes on the other hand, were round and almost looking like the ones placed on a puppy. He smiled a smooth smile, and as he started to speak his eyes were generally focused on Kibum. 

“I could not avoid hearing what you were talking about and if you guys would like to join then… my friends and I already have a room rented,” he offered; remembering to take his eyes off Kibum and look towards Minho too.

Kibum looked at Minho questioning – not quite sure what to answer the stranger. He figured, he would be saying yes to everything that could prevent the taller boy from going home and study this evening however.

“What do you think Minho?” he asked. 

The latter nodded slightly, before responding: “Sounds fine with me.”

“Good,” the stranger exclaimed and stood up. “Right this way then – oh, my name is Jonghyun by the way.”

 

Jonghyun, as the boy apparently was named, introduced them to his companions. There were three of them: Jinki the clumsy and happy guy, Taemin, the more reserved type who slowly opened up to you, and Soojung, the girl who definitely was thinking on herself as one of the boys.

The evening started out quiet and calm. They got themselves some side dishes to snack on during the evening and a couple of soju bottles to drink of.

Kibum ended up being placed beside Soojung on the angled bench, which the karaoke room consisted of. Jonghyun was seated on her other side, but he often talked just past her; wanting to know all about Kibum it seemed.

None of them used the karaoke system for the first half an hour, since they were busy eating, drinking and chatting. But soon Jinki got up and got the machine on. Watching him seemed quite awkward in the beginning, if you asked Kibum for his true opinion. He almost regretted taking Minho to the karaoke bar and if he had known he would end up sharing a room with four other people, he would probably not have gone either – all four of them seemed very kind though. At least until Soojung got too much to drink and started to hit on him.

After the first song was sung, a second and third followed, and a fourth and a fifth. Kibum got gathered courage enough to sing a song as well, over the evening. That was before he heard Jonghyun singing, because he immediately regretted ever opening his mouth.

The boy’s voice was like the voice of an angel – seriously.

The evening progressed quickly and Kibum was starting to feel a bit uncomfortable at the time he excuses himself and went outside the bar to breathe some much needed fresh air. Soojung had been clinging up at him most of the evening, calling him cute and trying to kiss him on the cheek ever now and then. Jonghyun had tried to make her stop. He had told her not to drink anymore and had removed her hands from Kibum more than once, but the impact had only been short, and soon she was all over him again.

Kibum jumped as a hand landed on his shoulder. He turned around to face Jonghyun who quickly retreated his hand again, mumbling a small sorry in the progress.

“Are you okay?” he asked sincerely.

The younger nodded speechless – wondering how a stranger like Jonghyun could sound so caring towards a person he only had known for an evening.

“You seemed kind of uncomfortable,” Jonghyun continued, caressing his neck awkwardly, “so I just wanted to make sure you were okay.”

Kibum smiled weakly. “I am fine.”

Jonghyun returned his smile while looking at him in silence. Kibum shifted and averted his eyes towards his black shoes. Jonghyun’s gaze was making his stomach feel strange and his cheeks flare up. Nothing was said between them for a long time, and eventually Kibum had to look up to make sure Jonghyun was still attendance – he knew he was however.  

“You have pretty eyes,” Jonghyun said.

Kibum eyes widened with surprise. “What?”

“That is why I asked you and your friend to join us in the first place,” Jonghyun continued, pretty convinced that Kibum heard him the first time. A small grin appeared on his handsome face. “You seem really interesting and I would like if we could hang out another time.”

Did Kibum just think that Jonghyun was handsome?

He did not know Jonghyun very well (or at all) but he had a good feeling from what he had experienced tonight, which is why he not pondered for a very long time before replying him that he would love to hang out another day.

 


 

A/N:

Two days too late. What is this?

For Anysoul.