Day 6 - Christmas Shopping?

Jongkey Advent Calendar

Jonghyun and Kibum walked down the street hand in hand. They had taken the metro to Myungdong Station, departed from exit 10 and where now making their way around the corner and into the popular shopping district with the same name, which had been decorated with shiny light, in the occasion of the holiday, and which now was making itself useful since the sun had set some hours ago.

The older of them squeezed his boyfriend’s hand. He then used his hand to fix the collar of his jacket to prevent the cold wind and falling snow from hitting his bare skin.

“Do you have any ideas?” He asked suddenly and took a look on the stores they passed.

“Actually no,” Kibum sniffed as the cold made his nose run. “Do you have any clues?”

Jonghyun hesitated a bit. “Not really, I was considering some socks or maybe underwear?”

The younger stopped up very suddenly, almost making Jonghyun drag off with him, as he neither noticed nor expected the other to stop up on the middle of the road. He turned around and looked at him surprised. 

“What is wrong?” Jonghyun asked taken aback. 

“Jonghyun,” Kibum demanded shocked. “Are you serious? You cannot give our friends such stuff.”

“What? Why not?” He asked – sounding kind of dumb if you asked the younger.

“Because it is plain and stupid,” he sounded serious as ever, “and because it is such presents you give to your so called close family members, whom you in real life have no connection to and just buy a present for to stand out nice.”

Jonghyun frowned, not really sure what to reply. “Come on Key, they are better than yours none existing ideas at least.”

Kibum huffed offended and crossed his arms. “I will figure something.”

“But I already figured something for the two of us,” Jonghyun argued.

The younger looked sternly at him. “You can forget the whole thing – I refuse to be a part of that.”

Jonghyun observed him noiselessly, feeling a tad hurt by his fairly strong words, and not fully aware of what to answer.

“Hey, why not make this a competition then?” Kibum suggested; his eyes shining as he got the idea. “The one finding the best presents, wins, and the loser pay for our next dinner.”

The older boy peculiarly raised an eyebrow. “A competition you say?”

Kibum nodded – knowing that Jonghyun would accept the challenge and then maybe try to think more about his so called present ideas.

“Okay,” Jonghyun rapidly agreed. He had nothing to lose in the end, since he pretty much always ended up paying for most of their dinners – which was not totally true. Often they would pay separately, but usually when they would pay together it was often the money from his pocket that would disappear.

“Okay,” Kibum repeated very confirmative. “So should we go together or should we part?”

Jonghyun thought about this, as he meaningful looked down on their intertwined hands. On one hand he did not feel like letting go of Kibum, but on the other hand had this turned into a competition now, and they should go alone, so that they would not be able to get affected by the other part.

He sighed and slowly let go of Kibum’s hand – instantly feeling the heat slide out of his fingers and be replaced with cold.

“Let us split up,” he declared.

Kibum nodded. “Let us meet at the corner of 7-Eleven again, in one hour and a half.”

“Fine,” Jonghyun agreed and stopped the younger, as he was about to turn around and go. Kibum looked at him questioning, but smiled soon, as Jonghyun leaned in to kiss him on the lips and afterwards told him that he loved him.

He replied with a huge smile. “I love you too – see you soon then.”

 

If you asked Jonghyun if he wasted his hour and a half, the answer would be yes.

He spent a lot of time walking around in Myungdong and thinking about which stores to enter, and he spent at least as much time on thinking about what he could buy in the entered stores. His thought about buying socks and underwear rece again, but he decided against it, after remembering Kibum’s comment.  

He thought about buying phone covers, but they were too inexpensive, unless he would buy a handful of them and then wrap them up as one. He also thought about buying clothes and figured it actually would have been a good idea, since he knew the other’s taste in clothes very well – unfortunately did he not know their sizes so that would not work either.  

A whole different thing he spent time on was food. He passed several food vendors on the road and a lot of them lured him over to them with the welcoming heat from the cooking stoves and some amazing smells from the food – besides, it was a long time since Jonghyun had eaten some of the delicious food by a food vendor, which just made it all so much more appealing.

So, so to speak, he ended up standing in front of 7-Eleven an hour and a half later with nothing but a full and aching stomach – however, he was not sure if it was aching because he had eaten too much, or if it was because he was nervous about how Kibum would react.

Jonghyun got even more nervous as he noticed Kibum coming walking towards him with a shopping bag in his hand.

As Kibum reached him though, he started to laugh foolishly – making Jonghyun feel confused; why would the younger grin at him in a moment like this? Was he not going to scold him and tell him how irresponsible he was, or something?

“You did not buy anything?” he asked and stopped in front of him, swinging his shopping bag a bit back and forth.

Jonghyun sighed and shook his head, but Kibum’s smile only widened – maybe because he knew he had already won?

“I am glad to hear that,” the younger admitted.

“Because that means you win?” Jonghyun guessed. “What did you buy?”

Kibum looked down at his shopping bag timidly before mumbling: “Just a jacket.”

Jonghyun looked at him surprised, spending a few seconds on realizing what he had just said, before grinning at him.

“One jacket?” he asked in between laughing, “for all of them to share or what?”

“Of course not,” Kibum sighed out. “This one is for me.”

The older boy grinned happily. Glad to hear that he was not the only one who had failed their competition terrible.  “What went wrong?”

Kibum smiled embarrassed and caressed the back of his neck. “I got stuck in a clothes store.”

Jonghyun continued to laugh and soon Kibum followed suit. It was kind of ridiculous: They had started a competition, but neither of them had actually kept it in the last end, and now they were standing without any presents for their friends.

“So what do we do now?” Jonghyun asked. “Buy socks and underwear?”

Kibum chuckled and took a hold onto the other’s hand. “Forget about it. I suggest that we go on a date now, and then we will go look for some presents online tomorrow.”    

The older hummed and squeezed his hand. “Sounds like a good idea if you ask me; I could use something warm to drink.”

“I could use something to eat,” Kibum commented.

Jonghyun laughed awkwardly; not daring him to tell that he used at least half of their time just now on eating vendor food.

Kibum started to drag off with the elder boy, without any other objections.

 

“Who are paying by the way? None of us won the competition.”

A laugh filled the streets. “You are, of course.”

 

End of discussion. 

 


 

A/N:

First of all; I want to apologize for being one day to late! I will try to follow up soon, but it might take some days!

This one was written for my friend, mapihypermonkey. She told me to write about Jonghyun and Key going shopping, where they would end up bickering and make their shopping for presents into a competition!

( To be honest, I am not very satisfied with this oneshot, but I don't know - what do you guys think? ;; )