Day 3 - Kind of Romantic

Jongkey Advent Calendar

Jonghyun had been convinced that this would be a good idea.

What could possible go wrong? – He had asked himself more than once.

However there he was sitting: In a small chalet on the 24th of December, with the snow raging outside. Only 10 minutes away from Yongpyong ski resort, but almost three hours away from Seoul and the Christmas dinner Kibum had promised his family, he would be home for – or rather: Jonghyun had promised Kibum, he would be home for. 

The younger boy came down from upstairs, dressed in a big woolen sweater, which Jonghyun quickly recognized as being his own. Kibum was embracing himself and showing off a clear statement about the cold. His sharp feline eyes observed Jonghyun, who turned the television off, after he had been updated about the meteorological conditions.

“Sorry Bum,” he sighed out.

The latter averted his eyes over to the woodened windows, staying silent for a moment. “We will be not able to go anywhere today, will we?” 

Jonghyun tried his best to look like a kicked puppy. “I am so sorry.”

Kibum just sighed and shrugged. “You were not able to know that there would be storm today.”

It was clear that he was far from pleased however.

“But if I had not forced you here in the first place then—”

“Well that is true,” his sudden answer was like a punch to his face, “and to be honest this is one of the worst ideas you have had in a long time.” 

Jonghyun pouted as his only response.

“I mean, you know that I hate snow, not to forget the cold, but still you bring me to a ski resort of all places. How well do you think this plan is thought through actually?” he continued scolding.

All Jonghyun had wanted was to give his friend a time off. A small vacation so to say, because Kibum had been stressing so much recently. School and homework was one thing, but then there was work too, and Christmas was just around the corner, so he would be eager to get extra hours, so that he would earn more money and be able to pay for all the Christmas presents he would have to buy. On top of that were tons of Christmas preparations and a lot of shopping. 

Jonghyun could see how much it exhausted him, and he just wanted to do a good deed and please his friend.

Mission failed.

“But I must say that I have had a nice time here nonetheless,” Kibum added with a small smile and went over to sit beside Jonghyun.

The older boy looked at him surprised. “You did?”

Kibum nodded. “Besides, I know that you did all this just for me, and that alone means a lot to me, so I am really grateful.”

Jonghyun smiled happily, and he decided right then, that even though they were stuck in a chalet, he would give Kibum the best Christmas he had ever had. He knew that it was going to be hard given the circumstance, but the least thing he could do was to try – and as Kibum his thigh before resting his hand there, Jonghyun knew that he would never forgive himself if he failed. 

 

The older boy spent the rest of the afternoon to speculate on how he could make the evening special for Kibum. He figured a Christmas dinner could be a good place to begin, but when you are trapped in a chalet with limited supplies of food, there will obvious be boundaries. 

He took some leftovers and found some food in the small storage room in the basement. He also found a bottle of red wine down there, which he figured they could share over the dinner.

Kibum once asked if he could help, not fully trusting him alone in a kitchen, but Jonghyun insisted that he could and would make it all himself, and sent the younger boy upstairs so that the rest could turn out as a surprise for him.

The dinner mostly ended up consisting of a lot of small dishes, since Jonghyun had to deal with a lot of different elements. He found all of the dishes very acceptable however, so he hurried to set the table before the food could turn cold. He found a fine cover and clad the table with it, before adding the dishes, chopsticks and wine glasses. He then turned off most of the lighting to make the atmosphere cozier, and instead of he lit some candles. He made sure that he was satisfied with everything, before calling Kibum for dinner.

Jonghyun had been nervous; afraid that all his efforts would go downhill after all. But when his friend’s eyes happily twinkled at his attempted, and pretty much failed, jokes, he could see how the evening so far was not totally ruined – and his heart did nothing but flutter with delight at the loud laugh that escaped Kibum’s plump lips, at the supposed-to-be Christmas dinner.

With a small smile on his lips he raised his wine glass.

“Cheers.”

Kibum looked at him for a short moment, before raising his glass too.

“Cheers, and Merry Christmas.”  

Jonghyun chuckled. “This is kind of romantic.”

Kibum just smiled as he lifted his glass up to his lips. “Do you mind?”

 

“Kibum wake up,” Jonghyun casually shook the boy lying beside him on a couple of blankets in front of the fireplace, where they had ended up falling asleep last night, after having devoured two cups of hot chocolate with cream on top.

The younger boy stirred and turned around so he was now lying on his back. He opened his eyes and tiredly looked up at Jonghyun.

“What?” he asked with a hoarse voice, sleep clearly visible.

“It is morning and the snow has set,” Jonghyun explained happily. “If just I can get the car shoveled free, we can go home.”

Kibum sighed and moved one of his arms up over his head, to make himself more comfortable while looking up at the other boy. “That sounds like a lot of work.”

“Naah, it should not be that bad. Besides then—” Jonghyun was shut up by Kibum who all of a sudden had sat up and planted his lips on the corner of his lips, shocking him and setting fire to his inside.  

“But I like it here – let us stay for a bit longer,” was Kibum’s only comment as he went to lay down again as if nothing had happened. 

 

Jonghyun was once again convinced that this had been a good idea.

 

 


 

A/N:

For laurachoileto who requested Jonghyun and Key as friends being stuck in a chalet during a snowstorm on the 24th-25th of December!