Caught in the Act

The Epiphany of Kim Jongin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 "Krystal?" I then called after I confirmed that it was her. Let me tell you where I am now before you question me— I was in a bookstore, accompanying my sister and I decided to stroll around the arts & lifestyle area when I found a familiar head popping out at one of the shelves and when I came around in the corner, I found Krystal pulling out a book out of its slot. “Jongin! H-hi,” she stuttered as she gave me a nervous smile and tucked in the book back into its slot.

 “Didn’t expect to run you in here,” I said as I approached her and she backed up a bit from me and I urged myself to raise an eyebrow at her. “Yeah, well—I wanted to go out for once,” she then simply explained as she tucked stray hairs behind her ear. “Are you alone here or what?” I then asked her and she popped her eyes at me.

  “Actually, I’m lost,” she then looked down on the floor and I squinted my eyes at her. “Lost from… where?” I then asked again as I tilted my head sideways. “Well, you see…” she trailed her words off as she fiddled with her fingers. “I was with my friends, you know them—and I was checking out at this shop and I swore they were just out there but after I left the shop they were gone,” she then quickly explained and I slowly nodded at her.

  “So, I thought maybe they’re here since I know how they are,” she then just shrugged as she tucked her hands in her pockets. “Can’t you give them a call?” I then suggested but she shook her head. “My phone’s out of coverage so I can’t,” she smiled sheepishly at me and I curled my lips. Actually, I’m quite thankful that I let my sister dragged me along with her when I can actually just spend my weekend playing computer games and stay in my room all day.

  It’s been two days since the pick-up challenge, see; and still I’m hot on my tracks to find out why Krystal wouldn’t blush for Sehun. I can’t just directly ask her why she wouldn’t blush—she would think I’m being delusional and I refuse to answer questions from her if I did ask her. So, for these whole two days, I observed the sweet couple and each time Sehun charms her, she wouldn’t blush like I observed on Wednesday. And in the hallway on Thursday, I saw how her friends about how lucky she is to have Sehun as a boyfriend when she received a bouquet of plastic flowers in her locker and as pleased as she looked, she didn’t look like she was shy about it.

  So, I guess today is the day I ask her what Sehun is to her since I finally made up my mind on what to ask and it is more than coincidence running into her today and I promised myself that I would ask her the first thing the moment I met up with her again. “Want me to go and look for your friends?” I then suggested and she widened her eyes at the question.

  “Would you? Don’t you have someone coming in here?” Krystal then asked and I gave a thought to that. I’m sure my sister won’t mind if I fool around a little as long as we go home in one piece plus I think she’ll do a bit shopping here in the mall by herself. “Hold on,” I told her to wait as I quickly find my sister at the home & living area. “Can I… go around the mall for a while?” I then asked her and did my infamous puppy eyes on her, hoping that she would buy it.

  “Be back before 4p.m, I have to prepare dinner later,” she said as she continues surveying the rack and I cheered silently as I rushed back to Krystal. “Let’s go,” I said to Krystal once I met up with her again and she jumped when I appeared again. “Excited much?” she then raised her eyebrows at me and I just chuckled. “Don’t want you to look like a loner,” I said as we both exited the bookstore together and now it’s time to commence Mission Alpha.

  “So, Krystal, what do you think of Sehun?” I then carefully asked her as I looked around, trying to see if her friends were around somewhere. “Sweet and adorable,” she simply said as she scanned the mall. “Would you care to elaborate that?” I then asked her and she shot me a look but softened after. “Like I said—he’s sweet, he makes the dull things in life come alive,” she then started and I carefully listened.

  “He’s like the missing sunshine in my world and you have no idea how much I like this man,” she then explained and I looked at her. “Just like, nothing more than that?” I then asked her and she tossed her head and laughed. “Of course I like him; why would it be more than that?” Krystal then questioned and I turned around facing her and walked backwards. “So, you don’t love him or anything?”

  “I don’t think I have those feelings towards him yet,” Krystal just shrugged and I nodded at her. “What was your reaction and answer after he says ‘I like you’?” I then asked her again, hoping that she won’t get too annoyed with these questions. “Thank you,” she suddenly said and I stopped on my tracks and gaped at her. Oh no, I thought, she thinks I said I liked her. “I-I didn’t mean that I like you—what I meant was--,” “I know what you meant, Jongin,” she then stopped me from explaining.

  “That’s what I said to him when he said that—‘I like you’; I forgot how it feels again to be liked and have a boyfriend,” she then shyly scratched her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter