The Chosen One

I'm just a normal witch!

Kahi groaned to herself. She woke up pretty early but it seemed like the girls woke up earlier than her. Now,  she had to wait to use the bathroom but it seemed like the person inside the bathroom right now was busy singing than having a quick shower. She glanced at the clock on the wall and groaned again. She would be late if she still wanted to fresh herself up. She made up her mind and went back to the room, to throw the towel back onto the bed and grabbed her backpack. Inside, she took out a bottle of chewing gum and chewed one, just to make her breath fresh.

 

“I’m ready,” she told herself and quickly rushed downstairs, where the others were busy having breakfast.

 

Her eyes widened at the amount of fish in the plate. It seemed like everyone was avoiding eating it, just like dinner last night. She shrugged it off and went to the empty chair. Her stomach was growling for food.

 

“Good morning everyone,” she said cheerfully and took the chopsticks and spoon to eat the food. Everyone replied her greeting but her focus was on the food. Might as well finish off the fish if none of them even touch it.

 

“Has everyone eaten their breakfast yet?” Hwang Bo entered the dining room with Shindong following behind her.

 

“YeEun is still having her shower,” Kahi reported, busy tearing the flesh from the bone.

 

Hwang Bo looked at Kahi before at the other girls. The girls showed their disgust toward Kahi who ignored the Legend by eating fish. She at least should just pretend not liking fish to respect The One. Hwang Bo did not say anything. In fact, she just took out a book and looked at a page, reading it again.

 

“So, are we going to swim in the lake or just having activity there?” Kahi asked between chewing her favourite fried fish.

 

Shindong looked at Kahi, sighing heavily to see the girl he had been teaching and the only witch who managed to turn him into a frog accidentally still had the no-care attitude. Why was she born in the same day as The One? He had no doubt that she was not The One, not with her laid-back attitude and tomboyish behaviour. She would turn everyone into a frog if she really was The One. No, she could not be the one.

 

“Prepare your bathing suit. All of you will soak yourself in the water while we chant for the deities to give us the answer,” Hwang Bo explained before stopped when someone glided toward them.

 

It was YeEun and she was wearing a pale pink dress with a maroon rope. Everyone gave YeEun a weird look but she ignored everyone, wearing the same expression she wore yesterday.

 

“Everyone is here, then? I’ll give you about ten minutes to prepare and meet us in front,” Hwang Bo said and turned around. She signalled Shindong to follow her and walked outside, holding The Book tightly with one hand.

 

Kahi finished off her drink and rushed behind others, heading toward the stairs. She planned to wear the swimsuit she wore yesterday even though she bought two pairs. Might as well use only one so she did not have to wash regularly. She grinned at her own thought.

 

When she went to the front, where the others were waiting, she was busy tying her long hair into a braid, a rather weird and messy braid because she did not look at the mirror as YeEun conquered the dressing table. She looked at Shindong but he pretended to look at the tree. She sighed heavily, not knowing why he ignoring her like this.

 

“Is everyone… err… It seems like we’ve lost another girl… again,” Hwang Bo groaned when she noticed the same person was not on time twice.

 

Kahi wanted to join the girls with their chatting and gossiping but they seemed to look down on her, for eating fish! She cocked an eyebrow at them and wished to be allowed using her mobile phone. She could call someone or even message anyone. She would not feel bored like this!

 

Hwang Bo was grumbling to herself when YeEun arrived. She cocked an eyebrow at the girl but YeEun was busy gliding toward them, head held high like she was a Queen. Shindong rolled his eyes at YeEun’s attitude but did not comment about it.

 

“I want all of you to hold one candle each, make sure it lit all the way. Now, move,” Hwang Bo ordered and started to walk toward the lake. Shindong handed the candles to the girls and they quickly lit it using the torch.

 

Kahi lit her candle and followed behind them, preferring to be the last one. Somehow she had the feeling it was better to be the last. She grinned and glanced behind her, at Shindong. Shindong saw her look but could not run away.

 

“Mr Shindong oppa, when are you going to teach me how to wake up early in the morning?” she asked.

 

“You have to use the alarm clock, Kahi. How many times do I have to tell you? There’s no shortcut for everything,” Shindong tried to explain for the hundredth time but Kahi seemed to ignore his explanation and demand the same thing over and over again each time he met her.

 

“We have magic,” she said stubbornly.

 

Shindong groaned loudly. The One should not be Kahi or she would misuse the power for her own desire.

 

“Everyone gather here, make a line facing the lake,” Hwang Bo instructed.

 

The girls quickly did as she said. Hwang Bo nodded and started another chant, “ Lady River, Magic Night. Sleeping girl is sleeping so long now. Hours have passed and the time has come. Bring forth the legend, bring back The One who has the power to save us. Bring back The One who has all the power from each one of us. Bring back The One who will be our Queen!”

 

She turned toward the girls and barked, “get into the water!”

 

The girls quickly obeyed. They took off the shirt they were wearing, already wearing their swimming suit inside… but… hesitated to get into the cold water. The haze covering the lake cleared. Still no one dipped into it. None except for Kahi. Then, when nothing happened to Kahi, they finally dipped themselves into the cold water, rather slowly. Except for YeEun, of course who was busy making a serene expression, and Kahi who quickly dipped her head into the water before remembered back why they came here... although she was still a bit lost about the reason.

 

All of them looked at the lake, waiting nervously. Bubbles suddenly appeared before blue light came from the middle of the lake. Everyone gasped, all except for Kahi who was looking at Shindong sulkily.

 

YeEun grinned as the light getting wider before it spiralled around. Then, the light getting smaller before it headed toward the edge – toward them! It would come to her. She knew it. She was after all The Chosen One.

 

The light suddenly stopped. Water surged upward like a glacier before a figure appeared.

 

“Greetings, Oh My Lady,” Hwang Bo greeted and bowed politely, along with Shindong.

 

The girls looked at each other, including Kahi who finally remembered why she came and quickly bowed to the figure. The figure started to resemble a girl with a tail but then the tail turned into a pair of legs before a beautiful silk dress wrapped around her body. The others watched in amaze.

 

“The Chosen One,” the figure said before lifted her finger toward the sky before lowered it toward the girls. Her body glided on water. Her feet did not even touch the surface.

 

Ye Eun in her breath, waiting breathlessly for the creature to choose her. She knew she was The One. All her life she had been training herself for this moment. She would bring pride to her family and most importantly, she was The One. There was no doubt about it. It was the truth and nobody could take what was right.

 

Kahi  could not help from looking at Shindong. Why couldn’t he teach her what she wanted? Why couldn’t he stop being such a butthead and being a good teacher and tutor? Shouldn’t he teach all his students what they need?

 

All of them – except for Kahi – gasped when the figure finally stopped. Their eyes travelled at the person the figure was facing. Ye Eun in her breath, this time in shock.

 

“Ehem,” the figure cleared .

 

Kahi looked at it, putting a pleasant smile even though she had not finished with Shindong yet.

 

“You,” the figure stated, pointing her finger to Kahi.

 

“Yes?” Kahi asked back, much to the shock of everyone else.

 

The figure raised herself high above Kahi, placing both palms on Kahi’s head. Kahi lifted her head and looked at them in puzzle while others watched in stunned. This could not be, right? Kahi was not the Chosen One, right?

 

“Behold, the Chosen...”

 

“Ooh... turtle. I didn’t see turtle yesterday,” Kahi commented as she focussed her eyes at the animal.

 

“SILENT!”

 

Everyone stopped taking their breath when the figure roared.

 

Kahi gulped and mumbled, “Sorry. Didn’t mean to make you angry.”

 

The figure closed her eyes and took a very deep breath, trying desperately to hold onto her temper. She opened back her eyes and looked at Kahi.

 

“Behold the Chosen One,” she stated and waved her hands, sending wind pushing Kahi down and head back toward centre of the lake. She hovered on the surface and looked at everyone before at the groaning Kahi. With a flick of her hand, the wind pushed Kahi forward and made the groaning girl fell into the water with a splash.

 

“Train her well. Train her good. May Goddess give her blessing to the Chosen One and to each one of you,” the figure said before vanished into thin air.

 

“Oh... My... Goddess...” Hwang Bo choked out, finally managed to find her voice.

 

Shindong looked at the gasping Kahi and nodded to himself. With a silent spell under his breath, he flicked his finger and Kahi who was on the way of pulling herself from the water fell back into it, cursing herself as she swam back to the edge of the lake. Shindong grinned.

 

“This is some sort of mistake. I am the Chosen One!” YeEun cried and stormed back to the house.

 

The girls gathered and looked at Kahi, still could not believe it. Could the girl be the Chosen One? She after all ate all the fish during meal. She could not be the Chosen One, could she?