chapter 4

Broken.

Chapter 4


Swish!!

The basketball fell through the hoop as Henry spun around, exchanging a high five with a friend. Another boy collected the ball, bringing it back to bounce at the boundary.

“That was a lucky throw, Henry hyung!” shouted the boy as he gave a challenging smile. “You won’t get another one like that!”

Henry grinned back, waving his hands to encourage the boy. “Bring it on then, Chanyeol!”

The four of them continued with the game, Chanyeol throwing the ball to his partner of identical appearance, Henry only missing it by inches. Sweat began pouring down their faces, the cool evening breeze bringing a cool relief to their exercise. Half an hour later, the four of them decided to call it a game, making their way over to collapse on a bench. Henry’s team had won and his team mate, Donghae, was now giving the other two a hard time about it.

“Hah! Now you guys have to treat us! What shall we have, Henry?” asked Donghae, placing an arm around Henry’s shoulders.

Henry shoved off Donghae’s arm as he shrugged. “Whatever. I always end up paying anyways.”

Chanyeol and the other boy, his twin baekhyun people would call them twin as they are always together as a pair., laughed. “That’s right! ‘Cos we’re all still in school so we’re poor! Henry hyung’s the only one with a job!” said baekhyun in a teasing tone.

Henry gave the boy a whack on the head. “Then start looking for a part time job. Jeez… I still don’t get why I hang out with you idiots.”

The twins now stood up, turning their backs to one another as they placed a thumb with their index finger pointing out under their chins. “That’s ‘cos we’re the adorable twins of  the Orphanage, baekhyun and Chanyeol! No one can resist our charms, especially our most esteemed Hyung!”

Henry stood up and knocked their heads together. “Just because every girl at school falls in love with you at first sight doesn’t mean I still don’t remember how you guys looked when you were both in the mud!”

The twins stared back at Henry, aghast. “You said you’d never speak of that ever again!”

Both Henry and Donghae laughed, Donghae pointing a finger at the twins. “Oh, yeah! I remember that day! You guys lost a bet with Henry and ended up with that punishment! That was hilarious! And then Sister emily came running out, throwing a towel over the both of you!” laughed Donghae, tears coming to his eyes.

Henry still remembered those days, the time he had spent in the orphanage before he was adopted by Lau. He was the ringleader of their little group back then and all the other kids looked up to him. baekhyun and Chanyeol had been at the orphanage since they were born, their mother having apparently abandoned them at the doorstep. Donghae had arrived at around the same time Henry did, Donghae’s parents having died in a plane crash as they returned from a trip to Japan. Henry, however, rarely ever talked about how his parents died but the others soon found out that they were murdered during a home robbery. The killer was caught by none other than the man who adopted him, and it became his dream to become a detective.

He was snapped out of his reverie as Donghae gave him a sharp nudge to the chest. “Hey, Henry ! Your little sister’s here!” he snickered.

Henry shoved him back. “Shut up,” he snapped before turning to look at the gate to the basketball court. Sure enough, The real daughter stood waiting, waving a hand as she saw Henry look her way.

“Oppa! Omma told me to come and get you. She said that dinner is ready and if you don’t want to starve tonight, you’d better come now!” shouted seohyun.

The twins came to stand behind Henry, poking him in the shoulder. “You’d better do as mummy says or you won’t get any dinner!” they laughed, enjoying the tease.

Henry turned around to swat them. “Get away, you annoying dorks! It’s just my luck that you guys were also adopted into families in the same neighbourhood as mine!” He shook his head, grinning as he picked up his bottle and tracksuit jacket.

Donghae, too, picked up his belongings, pouting slightly. “Does that also include me?”

“YAAA,” snapped Henry as he shoved Donghae’s head. The four of them walked over to Seohyun and baekhyun and Chanyeol were quick to lean on the gate either side of her.

“Hey, Seohyun; care to invite us over for dinner too?” asked Chanyeol, planting what he thought was a sincere smile on his face.

“Yeah, we haven’t been over in a while,” said baekhyun, smiling the same smile as his.

Seohyun rolled her eyes with a smile. “You guys must know that I’m immune to what you call your ‘charms’, right?”

The twins laughed as they stood up straight. “Yeah, you know us too well.” They suddenly glanced at Donghae out the corner of their eyes, a small sinister smile  on their faces. “But I’m sure Donghae would definitely love to go with you.”

Donghae glared at the twins, mad. He started kicking them. “What are you two idiots talking about?” he shouted at them, chasing them.

“Just your reaction says it all!” shouted Chanyeol as he narrowly avoided another kick from Donghae.

Seohyun and Henry laughed as they both watched the three chasing each other. Turning around, Henry gave Seohyun a pat on the shoulder, tugging her to follow him. “Come on; let’s leave those kids alone.”

Seohyun nodded as she smiled, her cheeks tinged slightly red in embarrassment. She peered up at Henry’s back, unable to stop her heart from beating faster. Although she was aware of Donghae’s feelings for her, she already had someone in her heart. Seohyun jogged up to walk beside her brother, turning to look at his face. However, he seemed to be lost in thought, a shadow dimming his handsome features.

“What’s wrong, Oppa?” she asked, sincerely concerned.

Henry continued to peer ahead. “Just thinking…” he said wistfully.

“About what?” A displeased frown came over her pretty face. “Don’t tell me it’s that ‘Dawn’ case you’ve been stuck on for the past month.”

He nodded. “Yeah… the results from the lab came back in today and there was nothing that pointed to the killer. No skin, no hair, no fingerprints, no nothing. Absolutely nothing. How can someone kill so cleanly?”

Seohyun pursed her lips as she thought. “Why is the case named ‘Dawn’?” she asked suddenly. She had always wondered about this.

Henry looked down at Seohyun, raising an eyebrow in surprise. “That would be because we found out early on that the killer goes by the name ‘Dawn’. This person is supposed to be one of the most elite assassins out there, and very costly too. We’ve never been able to trace the assassin, and the means they use to communicate with the clients has never been known.” He now had an amused glint in his eye. “Why are you suddenly interested? Want to help me solve the case?”

Seohyun turned away shyly, feeling her cheeks heat up. “N-n-no reason in particular. You’ve just been so worked up over the case that I was beginning to worry.”

A look of shock momentarily appeared on Henry’s face before it was wiped away with a smile. He reached out a hand and rubbed Seohyun’s head. “You’re such a cute little sister, Seohyun. I’m glad I was adopted into your family.” He suddenly began to jog, turning around to shout, “Last one home has to wash the dishes!”

Seohyun glared at Henry as she began sprinting after him. “First one there has to take out the trash!”

‘And I’m glad you were adopted into my family, too, Henry…’


tbc.