Chapter 32

Broken.

[C h a p t e r 3 2]


- Ten Years Ago -

“Are you sure this is the place, Hyung?” asked Chanyeol doubtfully, peering at the dingy old pub that stood in a secluded part of downtown of seoul.

Henry checked the piece of paper in his hand before peering back up at the sign that hung at the pub’s doorway. “That’s what it says on the record Seohyun Ahjusshi found for us. Apparently, this is the pub he owns and frequents the most. It’s also under surveillance by the police for any suspicious activity.”

Baekhyun cringed slightly as he leant on his brother’s shoulder. “How in the world did Josephine end up getting involved with some gangster?”

Donghae elbowed Baekhyun in the side glaring at him, turning back to look at the tight grip Henry had on the piece of paper. They had spent all day yesterday pestering Ahjusshi to retrieve all the records of anyone with the name ‘Kris’. Seohyun dad had refused to comply, saying that it was illegal and that it would take them forever to find the right record seeing as they didn’t even have the man’s surname. However, in the end, He  had conceded and Henry spent the rest of the night scanning the photos attached to the records for the man. The three of them had fallen asleep after watching for an hour, only to be woken when Henry had shouted in triumph at 7AM. He had wanted to rush out to find Josephine then but the other three had restrained him, convincing him that he should read over the man’s record carefully and come up with a plan unless he wanted Josephine to run away from him again. Grudgingly, Henry obliged and they soon found out that Kris’s address was the pub of which they were now standing outside of this very instant.

“Come on,” said Henry, leading the way to door. A sign that said ‘closed’ stared back into his face but he knocked on the door anyway.

Several minutes passed by and there was still no response from within. Henry continued knocking, the knocks growing consistently harder as his frustration grew. Donghae suddenly grabbed Henry’s hand and pulled him away from the door.

“Maybe they’re not here,” suggested Donghae. He peered down at Henry’s hand in his, wincing slightly at how bruised it was. “There’s no point in knocking anymore if they haven’t answered by now.”

Henry pulled his hand roughly out of Donghae’s and proceeded back up to the door. “Of course they’re in there. Kris is just too afraid to answer the door.” He began pounding on the door once again and eventually ended up kicking at it. “Josephine! Josephine! You’re in there, aren’t you?” he shouted. Donghae and the twins ran to drag him away from the door.

“Stop it, Hyung! Are you trying to break the door down?” shouted Chanyeol as he held tightly onto Henry’s arm.

Henry continued to struggle against his friends. “So what? If it means I can get to Josephine, then it doesn’t matter!”

The four suddenly stopped their wrestling with one another when they heard the lock on the door behind them suddenly click open. A tall man in his  stepped out, glaring disapprovingly at the teenagers standing before him. Henry shrugged the other’s hands off him, and took a step forward.

“Is Kris here?” demanded Henry, glaring back at the older man.

The man continued to stare at Henry. “What’s it to you, kid?”

Henry took another menacing step forward. “I asked ‘Is Kris here?’”

The man turned around, walking back into the pub. “Get lost, kid; this ain’t a place you should come kicking the door down on,” he sneered.

As the man tried to close the door, Henry ran forward to push past him. Donghae and the twins hurriedly followed him.

“Hey! You kids can’t go in there!” shouted the man as he chased after them.

Inside was dimly lit, the dozens of tables covered with upturned chairs and several waiters were sweeping the floor as they began getting the place ready. They watched in surprise as the four boys sped past.

“Don’t just stand there, you idiots! Catch them!” shouted the man who had opened the door.

Promptly heeding the man’s command, the waiters threw their brooms aside and began giving chase. All the while, Henry continued to search the building blindly, shouting out for both Kris and Josephine.

“I know you’re here, Kris! Come out and face me already!” He then e of the tables over as the man who had opened the door came up behind him.

“You stupid kid!” shouted the man, thoroughly pissed. He then suddenly drew out a gun and aimed it at Henry. “You’d better stop running around unless you want me to blow a hole in you.”

The boys came to a stop, Donghae and the twins staring horrified at the weapon in the man’s hand. Henry, who had had his back to the man, slowly turned around, glaring angrily at the man.

“You’re threatening to kill me?” asked Henry in an even voice. He met the man’s eyes, not the least bit afraid at having a gun pointed at him.

The man’s mouth curved into a small smirk. “I’m not threatening you; I mean it.” He then cocked the safety on his gun.

“Stop that,ryan … That is no way to treat our visitor,” piped a sarcastic voice from the stairs that led to the upper floor. Henry peered up to see Kris smiling down on the scene before him.

“Kris…” growled Henry as he took a step forward. He was as tall as Ryan around 180cm also took a step forward. “Where is Josephine?”

“I’m right here.” Henry spun around on the spot to see Josephine emerge from the kitchen behind him. His face brightened when he saw her.

“Josephine…” he said as he went to grab her hands. “Why are you staying here?” He then turned to glare at Kris as he pointed at him. “That man there is a gangster. You can’t stay with him.”

He then turned back to look at Josephine but was disappointed at the cold way she stared back at him. “I thought we already talked about this, Xian Hua.”

Henry’s eyes then hardened in annoyance as he glared angrily at Josephine. “We haven’t talked about anything, Josephine.” He then began dragging Josephine along. “I’m taking you to come live with the Seohyun.”

Josephine pulled her hand out from Henry’s grip and slapped him on the face. “Listen to what I have to say. Stop interfering with my life, Xian Hua.” She stormed past him but was brought up short when he engulfed her in a hug from behind.

“No. I’m not going to listen to what you’re saying. I’m not going to let you disappear from my life, Josephine. I… I love you, Josephine.”

Josephine’s eyes widened in shock at those words, her blood running cold. Even Kris couldn’t hold back the look of surprise on his face. Henry tightened his hold around Josephine, closing his eyes as he held her close.

“I love you, Josephine. So now do you understand why I won’t let you go?” he asked softly, whispering into her ear.

Josephine suddenly elbowed Henry and he released her, peering up at her in shock and confusion as he held his stomach. There was a look of utter fear on Josephine’s face as she steadily stepped backwards, shaking her head in denial. His sudden confession had been… unexpected. She didn’t know what to do.

Suddenly, Josephine her heels and sprinted out of the pub. “Josephine!” shouted Henry as he ran out after her. “Josephine!”

Josephine came to a stop in the middle of the road, turning around slowly to peer at Henry sadly. “Don’t make this any harder than it is for me already, Xian Hua…” she whispered, the words never reaching his ears.

Suddenly, a car came speeding out of nowhere and Josephine turned to stare at the oncoming vehicle. Henry shouted out at Josephine to move out of the way but it was too late. The car hit her fully as it tried to skid to a stop, sending Josephine rolling over the bonnet and into the windscreen. Her limp body slowly slid off the bonnet, falling onto the ground with a soft, sickening thud.

“Josephine!” shouted Henry in despair as he dashed forward to see how she was. He peered down at her with tears in his eyes, his hands shaking as he was paralysed by fear. There was blood everywhere, most of it covering her face from the dozens of glass cuts.

“Josephine!” he cried, picking up her head to cradle in his arms. “Josephine… don’t leave me… don’t leave me…” Tears began to escape their place as he peered up and down at Josephine’s battered body. He remained oblivious to the dozens of onlookers; the only thing in his eyes was Josephine slowly dying in his arms.

“Go call an ambulance!” he shouted at the crowd, still peering down at Josephine. “Please don’t leave me, Josephine… Not when I’ve only just revealed how I felt for you… Please…”

Josephine’s eyes fluttered slightly as she peered up blurrily at Henry. A faint sad smile caressed her lips as she then closed her eyes. “Thankyou… Xian Hua… for everything…” She then fainted in Henry’s arms and he shook his head in denial.

“No… no… no, no, no! Josephine!” he shouted at Josephine. “You are not going to die on me, Josephine. I love you. Don’t talk like you’re going to die… don’t talk…” He then turned to glare at everyone around him. “Where’s the ambulance?” he shouted angrily.

“It’s… it’s coming, Hyung,” replied Chanyeol in a tight voice. Even though he had never really liked Josephine, he had to admit that seeing her dying in Henry’s arms was not what he wanted for her. He glanced at his twin and could tell that he was feeling the same.

Suddenly, the sound of an ambulance’s sirens entered the vicinity of their hearing and Henry looked up hopefully. The vehicle came to a stop nearby and several paramedics rushed out, Henry reluctantly moving out of the way so that they could take her. However, he never once let go of Josephine’s hand and the paramedics had to let him sit in the ambulance with her.

All the while, Kris had been standing in the doorway, watching the scene unfold before him with an expressionless look on his face. He then turned away and entered his pub, Ryan following solemnly behind him. Walking up the steps, he dismissed Ryan as he then entered his office. Pulling out his mobile, he dialled a number.

“Everything has gone according to plan, Master .”


Tbc.

*sobs* My poor Henry... So now maybe you guys may understand why he didn't want to let Josephine get away from him. He loves her! And he confessed.

Next Chapter: Still ten years ago. The proof that Henry cannot deny...