Chapter 39

Broken.

[C h a p t e r 3 9]


= Flashback =

The screeching of a dozen birds packed into a small wire cage echoed throughout the half empty warehouse they were in. A man dressed in an old, faded blue shirt and black jeans suddenly walked up to the cage and kicked it, sending it flying across the floor.

“Stinking animals… I hate them. All of them.” He suddenly turned to peer at Amber, a small leering smile on his face. “And you will learn to hate them too.”

Amber peered up at the intimidating man, shrinking back from him slightly. Lee Soo Man had sent her to him to further her training, particularly in the area of hardening her soul and destroying the kindness she Donghaeered on the very creatures that man had just kicked. The man was simply known as Xaphan, a name he had given himself after having lost what his true name was. He was renowned for his cruelty towards all creatures, a famous assassin from Russia. It was for this very reason Lee Soo Man had entrusted her to the man’s company.

Xaphan walked over to the cage he had kick and reached into it, pulling out one of the birds. The creature squirmed in his hand as he held it up before him. “I was told you have an unwanted kindness for these pests,” he said, walking back over to where Amber sat on the concrete floor. He came to kneel before her, slowly turning to peer at her sadistically. “You like helping these things, don’t you?”

Suddenly, his hand tightened around the bird and Amber turned away in disgust as the bird gave one last painful screech before she heard the sickening crunch of its hollow bones. She began panting heavily, feeling an immense pity for the creature. Xaphan’s sadistic smile suddenly wiped off his face as he threw the bird to the floor with a thud. He reached out, pulling Amber up roughly by the arm.

“Get over here, you stinking kid.” He threw Amber at the cage and she had no choice but to grab hold of the cage to stop herself from colliding into it painfully. Xaphan came to kneel down beside Amber, pulling her back roughly by the hair. “It’s your turn. Pick one.”

Amber opened her eyes to peer back defiantly at the man. Xaphan saw this and pulled her hair even more roughly back, causing Amber to let out a gasp of pain. He leaned in close to her ear, whispering, “Take one and crush it.”

Her eyes darted to the cage next to her, the incessant screeching of the birds echoing loudly in her ears. She didn’t want to do what the man wanted her to do but there was no choice. If she didn’t do as he said, she would definitely suffer for it later.

Reluctantly, Amber opened the cage and pulled out a bird. Her heart twisted in that familiar ache of regret and sorrow for what she was about to do. Closing her eyes, she tried to ignore the way the bird was squirming in her hand and tightened her grip around it.

= End Flashback =

Amber was snapped back from her dark memories as the car came to a stop in a very familiar car park. She turned to peer at Kris with a frown while he continued to stare ahead of him with a blank look on his face.

“I thought you were going to take me back to the mansion,” she said quietly, still staring at him angrily.

Kris turned to look at his hands which were still resting on the steering wheel. “Lee Soo Man doesn’t know how long I will be taking you out with me to check up on ‘things’. If you have something you want to do, I suggest now’s your chance.”

Amber’s eyes narrowed slightly before turning to stare before her. “You knew all along, didn’t you?” When Kris didn’t answer, she continued. “And you should know I don’t want you to help me anymore.”

Kris turned to look at Amber seriously. “Just go already, Amber… Josephine... I know you love him and you should not have to suffer any-”

“How many times do I have to tell you it was not your fault that I have become what I am now?” shouted Amber as she slammed her hand against the dashboard. “I was the one who agreed to Lee Soo Man’s plans! I was the one who endured the training just so I could satisfy my childish thirst for revenge! If anyone is to blame, it is me!” She curled her fist up, leaning against it on her window. “You saved me from that drunken bastard that night, Kris. You could not have known that bringing me to Lee Soo Man would have caused him to recruit me as his assassin.”

Silence fell between them both, Amber staring out the window to her left while Kris stared out the front window. He then turned to peer at Amber. “Josephine… just go and get this over with, alright?”

Amber turned to glare at Kris before angrily unbuckling her belt. She stepped out of the car, slamming the door behind her. Kris watched quietly as she began the ascent into the mountains towards the hut he knew was hidden up there. Letting out a tired sigh, he leant back against the chair, tilting his head up as he massaged his temples. A small sad smile spread across his face as he began to chuckle softly. It was just like her, putting all the blame on herself. Just like her, telling him off for helping her too much. And just like her, for knowing exactly what was going through his mind.


Lay peered out his window in confusion as Sehun brought the car to a stop outside seoul Zoo. He had long since dismissed his bodyguards and driver, saying that he would be fine under ‘Detective Sehun’ protection. he turned to glare at him suspiciously now.

“What are we doing outside of the Zoo? Don’t you know it’s closed at around this time?” he asked.

Sehun turned to smile at Lay mischievously. “Sometimes, it’s not all that bad being my father’s son. There are some perks that come along with the position.” He then stepped out of the car and began making his way over to the entrance of the zoo.

Lay hurried out after him. “Wait up, Sehun!”

A zookeeper stepped out to meet Sehun at the entrance, shaking his hand with a big smile on his face. “Good evening, Master . Everything has been prepared according to your instructions, Sir. I hope you and the miss will have a pleasant evening.” He then handed Sehun a set of keys.

“Thanks,” said Sehun. He then grabbed Lay’s hand and began dragging him inside. Lay began slapping his arm, attempting to pry his fingers from his hand to no avail.

“Where are you taking me, Sehun?” he demanded.

They finally came to a stop before a white golf cart. Sehun released Lay’s hand and went to sit behind the driver’s seat. “I’m taking you on a night safari tour of the Zoo,” he said, starting the engine.

“A night safari?” repeated Lay, peering at Sehun in confusion. “Why are you taking me on some night safari?”

“Because,” he began, stepping out of the golf cart to bring Lay over to the passenger’s side. “I’m trying to make you relax and what better way to relax than for a nice visit to the zoo.”

Lay went to sit in the passenger’s seat reluctantly, peering around him with a worried expression. “But the zoo is supposed to be closed. You really shouldn’t abuse your power like this.”

Sehun turned to peer at Lay with a frown. “Who said I’m abusing my power? I only asked a friend of mine for a favour, that’s all.” He then began driving the golf cart, heading towards the first exhibit.

“I’m sure you have ‘friends’ in all walks of life,” mumbled Lay sarcastically as he conceded to staring out at their surroundings. Sehun threw him an amused smile before turning back to concentrate on driving.

They continued on through the zoo in a similar fashion, Sehun stopping every now and then at exhibits of interest. It pleased him whenever he saw Lay exclaim wildly as he managed to spot the animals hiding in their habitats and then try to hide his excitement as he realised what he had done. After nearly an hour, Sehun finally drove the golf cart back towards the entrance of the zoo.

“I hope you enjoyed tonight as much as I did, Lay,” he said, several minutes after he had turned off the engine of the golf cart.

A small smile lit Lay’s face in the gloom as he peered down , “It was nice. Thank you, Sehun.”

Sehun couldn’t stop the grin spreading on his face as he let out a nervous laugh. He then turned to peer at Lay with a warm look on his face. “Whenever you’re feeling down, don’t hesitate to call me, okay, Lay?”

Lay turned to peer at him, his brow creased in amused confusion. “Why are you being so nice to me, Sehun?”

There was a short silence before Sehun suddenly leant forwards and planted a quick kiss on Lay’s lips. “Because I like you.” He suddenly stepped out of the golf cart, leaving Lay still sitting with a shocked look on his face. “Come on, it’s really late.” He then turned around, peering at Lay with his hands in his pockets and a small smile on his face. “I’ll take you home.”

Lay sat frozen to his seat, watching as Sehun walked out of the zoo. he then snapped out of his daze, stepping out of the golf cart to follow him at a distance. His hand slowly travelled up to her lips, feeling them in disbelief. Sehun had just kissed him, and on top of that, he had told him he liked him. This was the first time anything of the sort had happened to him and he didn’t know how to react. He wasn’t sure if he even felt the same way about Sehun. Quietly, he entered his car and together they drove off, saying not a single word to each other.


= Flashback =

It was a bright, warm sunny day as Henry, Donghae, the twins and Seohyun came to stand before the large open pit into which Josephine’s coffin was being lowered into. Donghae and the twins peered at Henry in concern. He had not said a word to anyone since the day at the hospital and they were growing worried that he might do something rash. It had been five days since the accident and they had only just managed to clear the paper work for her body.

The funeral director said a few words, the usual that was said about any dearly missed soul. Henry did not hear one word of it, his eyes still fixed on the plain wooden coffin as it was slowly lowered. Once the director had finished his words, one by one, the guests threw in a white rose each and the last to do so was Henry. Slowly, he walked over to the edge of the grave, kneeling down on one knee as he fought back the tears in his eyes.

Reluctantly, he placed the rose onto Josephine’s coffin, unwilling to bring his hand back up once he had released the stalk. This was it. He had no choice but to accept her death. She was gone from him forever. Just the thought of it made his heart ache terribly. He had gone to find Kris the next day after her death only to find he had permanently closed the pub down and disappeared. As he remembered the man all his frustration returned. He was going to make him pay, one way or another.

= End Flashback =

Henry sat leaning against the post that held up the roof of the hut, staring at the bright moon illuminating the night sky. Dino sat perched on his knee as he absently the bird, waiting patiently for Amber to arrive. He had been waiting at the hut for several hours now and every now and then he doubted whether she would even turn up, but something told him she would.

A slight rustle was heard from the edge of the clearing and Henry turned to peer at the trees, sitting up straighter when he noticed Amber standing hidden in the shadows. Dino suddenly let out a loud squawk and flew over to land on Amber’s outstretched arm, a soft affectionate rumbling emanating from its chest as she its crest. That was all the proof Henry needed.

“I wasn’t sure you would come… Josephine,” he said, turning to peer back up at the moon.

Amber eyed Henry, her heart beating fast from a mixture of nervousness and excitement, an uncomfortable yet pleasant feeling. Hearing him call her by her true name destroyed any intention she had left of trying to lie to him further. She transferred Dino to her shoulder as she came to sit on the porch beside him. “In the end, you finally found out the truth.”

Henry snapped his head down to stare angrily at Amber. “The ‘truth’? What is the ‘truth’?” He stood up, walking away as he ran his hands through his hair. “Ten years, Josephine… Ten years. For ten long years, I believed you were dead. I believed you were really hit by that car, that you were no longer alive only to find…” His sentence trailed off as he then angrily kicked at the dirt with and anguished shout.

Amber watched him calmly, slowly closing her eyes as she tried to hold back the guilt and sorrow she felt. She knew it would not be easy for someone to suddenly realise that someone they thought dead is in fact, alive and now an assassin. And it would be even more so for Henry since he loved her and was the one in charge of her case.

“I really was hit by that car, Xian hua,” she said quietly after a few minutes when she felt that he had calmed down enough. He turned around to peer at her in surprise. “The whole thing was staged and I was officially dead for ten minutes.”

Henry watched her carefully as he waited for Amber to continue. She kept her eyes downcast. “Do you… want to hear everything?” she asked, a faint desperate note in her voice. In her heart she was hoping that he would hear her out yet dreaded having to tell him the truth.

He continued to stare at her, his eyes scrutinising her thoroughly. Then finally, he came to sit on the porch with his back facing her. “I’m listening.”


Tbc.

Yep, I'm cutting off their meeting there ... I've decided Sehun and Lay are not that important for my story so I've decided to leave their relationship alone from here on out. I just realised I haven't done any Donghae-seohyun scenes, but then again, they're not that important to the overall story except in the past. Well, the next two chapters will be about Henry and Amber's meeting, and about her past.

Next Chapter: A couple of question answered.