Chapter 24

Broken.


[C h a p t e r 2 4]


- Ten Years Ago -

Henry entered the Orphanage in a hurry, his heart beating wildly in panic as he looked for the library. He ran towards the right wing of the building where it was located, coming across a large crowd as the sound of crashing and yelling emanated from within the room. Pushing his way through the crowd, he came to stand beside two of the Sisters, Donghae and the twins.

“How did this happen?” asked Henry, peering at his friends before glancing at the closed door. The sound of something heavy falling was heard and Donghae had to restrain Henry from jumping into the room.

“No one meant to tell her… We were all just discussing the news on TV when she accidentally overheard us. We didn’t know it was them…” replied Donghae with a slight pang of guilt.

Henry turned to glare angrily at Donghae when the door suddenly opened and Sister Emily emerged, hurriedly closing the door behind her as something collided into it on the other side. She closed her eyes for a second, slowing down her breath before making her way over to the group.

“That girl is completely hysterical at the moment. She won’t listen to a word I say.” She then noticed Henry and their eyes connected. “It is probably best to leave her alone for now, Henry. I suggest we let her calm down by herself first.”

Henry continued to gaze back at Sister Emily, his eyes reflecting his unwavering determination. “I don’t think we should. She may do something even more drastic if she’s left alone. Please, Sister Emily; let me go in and have a talk with her. I’m sure I can get her to calm down.”

They continued to stare at one another in silence before Sister Emily turned away, heaving a small sigh. “Alright, Henry; I’ll let you go in. But be careful for she isn’t her usual quiet self.”

Henry gave a small assuring smile at the Sister as Donghae finally released him. “Do take care, Henry,” said Donghae and Henry nodded back at him.

Slowly, Henry opened the door to the library, the heavy wood creaking gently. Inside it had become quiet and he stepped into the destroyed library, turning to close the door gently behind him. That was when Henry heard a loud thud beside him and he flinched back as he saw the book which had missed his head by an inch land on the floor. He spun around on the spot, seeing Josephine stand behind an upturned desk, a slight look of shock on her tear stained face.

“Xian hua…” whispered Josephine quietly.

“Josephine…” said Henry, as he took a step forward.

The look on Josephine’s face suddenly grew hard and she disappeared behind the desk only to emerge with another book in her hands. “You’d better get out of here now before I throw this book at you, Xian hua,” she said coldly, raising the book above her head.

“Josephine,” pleaded Henry once more, taking a cautious step towards her. He paused as he saw her move her arm back further. “Josephine… listen to me. There’s no point in throwing a tantrum like this. Why don’t we calmly talk about everything?”

Josephine continued to stare at Henry, slowly curving into a sadistic smile. “Talk about it? What is there to talk about? Those – those fiends – are now free! They managed to escape three murders, all because of the help of some gang!” Her face suddenly transformed into a tormented sneer as she glared at Henry. “There is no justice in this world, Xianhua, so there is every reason for me to throw a tantrum.”

She threw the book at Henry, and he hopped back as it landed at the spot his feet had been only moments ago. Josephine disappeared back behind the desk, rising up with yet another book which she then threw at a window. The glass shattered, raining down onto the grass outside. Once more she disappeared behind the desk and Henry used this time to run over to her, arriving just as she stood.

“Josephine, stop it!” he commanded, reaching out to wrestle the book from her hands.

Josephine refused to let go and the two continued to struggle until she managed to knock Henry into one of the desk’s upturned legs. He let out a shout of pain as he released his grip on the book, falling to the ground as he gripped his side. Josephine immediately dropped the book, taking several small steps backward as she shook her head in denial.

“I didn’t do it… I didn’t do it…” she continued to mumble, retreating back against the wall.

Henry looked up, steeling his mind as he tried to block out the pain. “Josephine… it’s alright… I’m okay. See?” He smiled at Josephine, crawling onto his knees.

By now Josephine was pressing herself further back into the wall, sliding to the ground as she continued to shake her head, still mumbling the same phrase over and over again. Henry made his way over slowly, trying not to startle her. When he reached her side, her feet were still sliding against the floor as she continued to retreat. Her eyes did not register his presence, seemingly lost in some dark part of her mind. Tentatively, Henry reached out a hand to comfort her but had to bring it back when Josephine let out an ear-piercing shriek.

“Josephine!” shouted Henry in panic as he was then kicked back by Josephine who was now wildly attacking the air around her.

“Get off me! Get away from me! Don’t touch me! Don’t touch me!” Henry watched on in horror as Josephine flailed around wildly, unable to get close lest he be clobbered by her. Her head and arms connected with the wall and desk, blood soon running from her self-inflicted wounds. She then stopped her thrashing as she noticed the blood and her eyes widened even more in fear. “Blood… blood… there’s blood everywhere…” She rubbed at her arms, trying to wipe away the blood but only succeeding in opening her wounds further. “Get it off me… blood… I didn’t do it…”

As Henry watched her carefully, he realised that Josephine was reliving the moment when her mother must have murdered her stepfather. Seeing her try to rub her own blood from her arms, Henry lunged towards her and grabbed both her wrists to stop her. Josephine looked up into his face and began to thrash around wildly once more.

“Let go of me!” she shouted, but this time Henry refused to let go of Josephine, pulling her in close for a tight embrace. Her head began knocking against the wall and he pulled her away from it, tightly holding her head down into his shoulder. They stayed like that for several more minutes, the time they were embraced together in that way seeming like an eternity. Henry felt the corner of his eyes burn as Josephine began to calm down in his arms, tears escaping their hold as they made their way down his cheeks. He had never dreamed of seeing Josephine like this, finally realising the intensity of the pain she kept hidden deep within her mind.

Slacking his hold on Josephine slightly, he gently patted her head as she sobbed into his shoulder. He began rocking her back and forth, continuously the back of her head as he then began to sing a lullaby he remember his mother singing to him whenever he had a nightmare, his voice cracking slightly.

“The wind…
Is blowing coldly… tonight…
It will soon…
Be replaced by… morning’s warmth…
Bringing forward…
A new day… of hope…
And I’ll be waiting…
To… help… you… through.”

Henry continued to hum the lullaby and Josephine’s sobs eventually quietened, much to Henry’s relief. He then began to nuzzle the edge of his chin against Josephine’s hair, closing his eyes as he imagined feeling Josephine’s pain. “You are not alone in this world, Josephine… you have me here. Remember that.”

Not receiving any response from Josephine, he peered down into her face to see that she had fallen asleep from exhaustion. Smiling sadly, he picked her up and carried her out of the library. Everyone was still gathered outside and they peered at him as he emerged carrying the sleeping Josephine in his arms. The Sisters moved forward to take her from him but he shook his head, signalling they should not try to. They then led the way to one of the spare rooms in the Sisters’ quarter of the orphanage, deciding that it would perhaps be for the best if she was isolated from everyone else. Henry gently laid her down on the bed, carefully adjusting her so that she was as comfortable as possible.

One of the younger Sisters soon entered the room, carrying a bowl of warm water, a towel and some bandages. She made her way over to the bedside table, placing the items down. “You can leave her now, Henry. I’ll take care of her for you,” said the Sister in a soothing voice.

Henry continued to stare at Josephine, gently her face as he tightly held her hand. “I’m staying,” he replied in a voice that said he would not be swayed otherwise. The Sister smiled sadly at his response before turning to dip the towel in the bowl.

“Very well; then you can help me dress her wounds.” She then proceeded to gently wipe the congealed blood on Josephine’s arms. Henry saw her sleeping face flinch slightly in pain and he gripped her hand tightly.

“Please be more gentle, Sister,” said Henry, clearly worried for Josephine. The Sister nodded and then continued, this time even more carefully.

It took them some time to finish treating Josephine’s wounds. All through the procedure, Josephine remained quietly asleep, obviously exhausted from the day’s tantrums. The Sister finally stood, picking up the bowl which now carried the cold, red water. “You should also take a Donghaeer and have something to eat, Henry. Your clothes are covered in blood.”

Henry shook his head, looking up at the Sister with a reassuring smile. “I’m fine. I don’t want to leave Josephine’s side. You don’t have to worry about me.”

The Sister smiled back at him in an understanding way. “Josephine won’t be going anywhere for sometime, Henry. You really should take a couple of minutes to clean up and grab something to eat. Then you can come and stay by her side after.”

Henry glanced back over at Josephine before letting out a sigh. “Alright… I’ll do as you say, Sister.” He then lightly squeezed Josephine’s hand once more before placing it down onto the bed. With one last look at her as he stood to leave, he then followed the Sister out of the room, still feeling a little anxious at leaving Josephine all by herself.


It took Henry a little longer than he thought to get cleaned up and grab a quick dinner before heading back to Josephine’s side. For one thing, everyone constantly tried to corner him, refusing to let him go unless he answered their endless questions. Luckily, Donghae and the twins came to his rescue, creating a sort of guard to help Henry up into their room where Donghae leant him a new change of clothes. The way to the dining hall was just as hectic, the kids still refusing to forsake their curiosity. Henry put up with it for as long as he could, finally ending the incessant questioning by shouting at them to leave him alone. That sent most of the kids running but a brave few lingered around, still watching at a distance.

Donghae noticed that Henry had seemed to be limping slightly when he walked, absently clutching the side of his hip with a slight wince of pain. “Are you alright, Henry?” he asked after seeing Henry flinch slightly from the pain as he sat.

Henry nodded his head, smiling back at Donghae. “I’m fine, Donghae,” he said reassuringly. “I’m more worried for Josephine.”

The twins exchanged a glance with one another, their eyes Showing that they were concerned for their brother. They then turned to look at Donghae, who also seemed to be worried at this lack of care Henry had for himself. Deciding to let him be, they all proceeded to eat in silence.

Henry arrived outside Josephine’s room as soon as he finished eating. Slowly, he opened the door, receiving a small shock as a gust of cold air met him, the curtains of the open window fluttering quietly. But what he was even less prepared for was the sight of the empty bed which lay before him.


Tbc.

i hvn't been able to post up the stories so i'm posting up 4 chapters at once.... lol

Well... this was an intense chapter, right? I know I haven't clearly explained why she was throwing the tantrum, but I will in a later chapter. And how was my lullaby? lol, it's kinda lame....

Many of you were probably expecting me to write about the part how Josephine "died". I didn't but don't worry; it's coming up soon.

This is just the start of how she'll "die".

 

Next Chapter: Where Josephine ran off to...