Mondays , Tuesdays and Fridays

And Then ,There Was You

 

(Hyukjae's POV)

 

I headed  home after completing the first day of classes of my third year . I felt exhausted since I had two dance classes  today and plus I went an hour early to practice while the studio was still empty . My dance instructor from last year signed me up for the National Break-it to Make- it Dance Competition , it happened every three years and this year I was in it , I felt nervous as the competition date was getting closer and closer , I had exactly one month left to train as much as I could . Rumours had it that this year would be very tough because many young and skilled dancers were  going to be competing , and they came not just from Canada but from all around the world, this made be even more nervous .

 

I arrived home , I pulled my car up to the driveway , I was too lazy to park in the garage so I just parked on the driveway, which made my dad very  angry everything time I did that. I noticed that my parents cars were not there , meaning that they would not be home till later tonight , their jobs were very unforgiving , when it came to time . I got out of the car and headed for the front door , I entered the house and noticed the television lights beaming from the living room , I kicked off my shoes and went to see what was happening .

 

 

Sora sat on the couch with her legs crossed in front t of the enormous  screen compared to her size , with a bowl of popcorn on her lap. She jerked her head back and forth laughing hysterically very few minutes .

"Seriously? You have the time to watch a movie on  a Monday night ?" I asked sounding curious.

"Sure , why not ? I am done my homework." Sora replied bouncing on the couching while laughing. 

"Umm, did mom and dad say anything about when they will be back ?" I asked .

"Yeah, not till later tonight. Ammi placed the dinner in the oven , just heat it up ." Sora said not bothering to remove her eyes off the television screen.

"No , I already ate ." I replied walking over to her looking at which movie she was exactly watching that kept on making her laugh like some sort of crazy person . I reached for some popcorn and grabbed a hand full and quickly jumped back as she was about to kick me .

"Hi! Not that much ! I still have an hour left of the movie !" She shouted, sounding annoyed .

I laughed while stuffing my mouth with all the popcorn I managed to grab in one hand while laughing at her snap at me .

"Ah, move I am trying to watch something here ! " Sora shouted again sounding even more annoyed now as I purposely blocked her view of the screen.

I patted her head like she was some sort of little child , which she still was to me .

"Goodnight, fatty  !" I said trying to as I quickly ran out of the living room . She throw a piece of popcorn at me and said sarcastically " Oh, look who is talking ! " and went back to watching the movie.

I wasn't hungry since I already ate at school as I usually did on days my classes needed late  , but as I walked past the kitchen to go upstairs , a sudden wave of captivating aroma hit me , Ammi's cooking was my guilty pleasure, she made the most delicious dishes in the world ,not to mention her Italian sausage pasta that was our household favourite , sorry mom.

Ammi was our cook that mom hired , ever since she started her own cosmetics business . Mom wasn't home as much anymore , she was always in a hurry , running from one place to another taking carry of her business matters , her business required a lot of her attention these days . Sora and I understood and we didn't complain because seeing our parents working hard to fulfill their dreams made us happy. Since my mom was barely home during the day , she also hired two maids that took care of the house , I found it kind of awkward at first , seeing random women walking around the house cleaning up after us  but I didn't mind anymore  since it meant that the house was never empty now . Dad also approved of the maids because he was concerned about the security of our house , as we already had two attempts of break-ins . Our house was the largest in the entire neighbourhood  and therefore it drew a lot of attention to itself , not to mention the three luxury cars parked in front of it and soon Sora would be getting her own car too . As well the fact that Sora came home before all of us and had to stay in the house all by herself for many hours, made my parents worried , so mom  arranged the maids to work from eleven in the morning to six in the evening . Having maids and a cook was in my parents best interest because it meant that their children and their house would not be neglected due to their busy schedules .

I went upstairs to  my bedroom , which was the last one down the hallway , I entered in and threw  my backpack and jacket on the sofa in front of my TV  and collapsed on the bed messing up the neatly made sheets  that one of the maids had replaced today . I felt tired and wanted to sleep , I was too lazy to get back up to change and wash up , so I just laid there facing the ceiling with my eyes shut .

My mind was starting to clear as I started to feel relaxed from the warmth of my bed . My  mind was completely empty now and it felt good , I was almost about to fall asleep when a  image popped up in my head from earlier today , it dominated my thoughts all of a sudden  and my eyes pierced open staring at the ceiling . Why out of all the things that happened today  , was this the only thing that occupied my brain right now? 

That guy from the Human and God class , his face appeared in my head .Too worn-out to question my thoughts , I tried to recall all the features of his face that captivated my attention the entire class today. In my mind I started to draw a picture of his face , while carefully remembering every aspect of it , I remembered his face so well that it felt like I was in class again and he was standing in front of me , laughing like he was earlier today. My mind kept replaying that moment from when he walked into the lecture hall to when he came down to sit in front of me , the way he laughed and tried to cover his mouth to contain himself  , the way his lips swiftly moved as he talked to his friends , the way he walked up the stairs ,so lost in his own world and the way his black shinny hair swayed side to side .

Eventually, I slowly drowsed off into a deep sleep , with his face being the last image in my head for tonight.

 

Next Morning....

 

                     

 

I woke to the sunlight on my face, that was rushing into my room through the ceiling high windows. Even though my mom was in a rush in the morning to get to work,  she always found the time to go to my sister and my rooms to give us a morning kiss on the forehead and to pull the window curtains wide open to allow the sunlight in so we wouldn't sleep in and not get late for school. I found this habit of hers so annoying cause I hated to wake up in the morning to the feeling of the sun burning my face and blinding my eyes but I have to admit,  if it wasn't for her doing this every morning I would probably sleep in until 2 pm, as I loved my sleep.
 

I got out of bed and checked the time on the gigantic silver clock hanging on the wall in front of me, it was 9:00 am .My first class was at 11:00 am today,  I had the morning spare so I decided to work out before heading to university. The dance competition was getting closer and I needed to stay in shape . I throw on a pair of sweat pants and a random t- shirt and headed downstairs not bothering to even wash up first cause I knew I would be a sweating mess after working out so I didn't trouble with it.

I went to the gym downstairs, that's one thing I absolutely loved about this house it had a built in gym and a outdoor swimming pool.

 

 

I headed downstairs and the house was empty , everyone had left already. Mom and dad left for work , Sora for school and the maids didn't start work till two hours .  Rubbing my eyes to fully become wake I headed to the gym. I the television that was placed on the wall in front of the treadmill and switched to some random news channel. I had a hour to work out , I run  for half an hour and did  weights for another half an hour . After  an hour I stopped , trying to bring back my breathing to a normal pace , I felt sweat running down the side of my face and my forehead . I took off my shirt and walked over to the wall that was entirely covered with mirror and I started to observe my body . I was beginning to form a six pack as I worked out more often now since the dance competition has getting closer . My arms were built and I noticed them getting bigger each day , but I still didn't feel satisfied , I still didn't admire the way my body looked even though I knew it was in better shape  than most of the other guys walking around campus . Taking one last look at my figure ,  I sighed deeply and shut off the TV and the gym lights and headed back upstairs to my room.

I took a shower , got dressed , grabbed my jacket and backpack from where I threw them so carelessly last night and quickly went downstairs . I had fifteen minutes to eat breakfast , I put two toast slices in the toaster , poured some coffee into a mug that my mom made this morning and grabbed the jam jar from the cabinet . I sat down with my breakfast and the TV that was in the kitchen . It was my mom's request to have a separate TV for the kitchen for when she cooked and baked .

I sat there eating my breakfast  and I heard the front door open , it was Ammi and the maids . My parents gave a pair of house keys to Ammi ,as they trusted her and also because not every morning there was someone home to let them into the house . Ammi , was old , she was tiny and had short white curly hair , she had the sweetest voice , which reminded me of my grandmother who passed away a couple of years ago when I just stared high school.

" Good morning sweetheart !" Ammi said joyfully as she entered the kitchen and found me sitting there eating. She called everyone "Sweetheart' , even my dad , which kind a made me laugh .

"Good morning!" I replied offering a smile back .

 

She made her around the kitchen , already preparing for today's meals . She looked so petite and funny  walking around the massive kitchen and the extremely high ceilings really gave away her short height . I couldn't help but smile every time I looked at her , she bought a certain kind of joyfulness to this giant house that gave me the creeps when no one else was at home.

 I finished up my breakfast , picked my things and headed out the door and  said bye to Ammi on my way out.

I opened the car door as I noticed one of the maids racking the leaves on the front yard . Fall had officially arrived and the mornings were getting colder each day but I liked it ,as it was my favourite season .

I pulled the car out of the driveway and headed for school.

 

Later that day....

 

I finished school that day at 6:00 pm , the guys were going over to Leeteuk's place to hang out but I didn’t feel like it , even though Leeteuk  almost literally dragged me along with him, I made an excuse that my parents were expecting me to take care of something at home , so he barley let me go.

School was really not a problem these days as mid- terms were not until another month and a half away. I had a lot of time to kill after classes; I usually did only two things, either went to the studio to practice for the competition or just went home and slept. Any ordinary person would probably think I have no life, but I was completely ok with this type of routine.

I came home, ate dinner and went to my room. I decided to read a few chapters for tomorrow’s class , I picked up a random textbook from my desk and went back to lay on the  bed .I flipped the book around to find out that it was the Human and God textbook, urgh!  As if my day wasn’t boring enough, now I had to read this tedious book.

I unwilling cracked open the new textbook , breaking it’s crisp spine and flipped through the chapters to see what this course was  exactly about , yesterday the Prof was saying something about what we were going to be learning , but I wasn’t paying attention , he not only looked boring but even his voice was so dreadfully boring.  How the heck am I going to get through this course?

 

 

With lack of interest, I turned to the first chapter and started to read:

 Human? God? What comes to mind when one thinks about these two things? These two things may seem part of our ordinary lives, but they go beyond our capacity of understanding of what we have come to know as the world .......

I read a couple of pages and zoned in and out of what the book was actually talking about , I started  thinking about yesterdays class and what my eyes had encountered. All day it didn’t come into my thoughts, but as I laid here those images from yesterday stared to replay in my head. Him walking in, laughing, talking and the way he seemed so lost in a totally different world. Wait, why am I suddenly thinking of him? I don’t even know him, and out of the hundreds of new faces I ran into yesterday, whey was only his face so crystal clear in my memory?

Could it be that I maybe possibly know him, but I am just unable to recall who he is or where I saw him before? Maybe? That's the only thing that explains why his face keeps popping up in my head.

I lay their staring at the book, but I was not reading the words, rather the words somehow rearranged themselves on the page to draw out his face, of course that was only in my head. I just remembered I would probably be seeing him again tomorrow in class; I had that class three days a week, on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Maybe if I see him again a couple of more times, I might be able to recall who he is.

With that thought occupying my mind, I didn’t notice that someone was knocking on my bedroom door.

“Hyuk baby are you already asleep?” my mom asked lightly knocking on the door .

Oh god, oh long has she been knocking for?

I got up quickly and opened the door for her.

“Sorry mom, I was ...” I tried to say something but she cut me off.

“Were you sleeping dear? “she asked hesitantly

“Ummm, no I was, I was just in the bathroom, washing up.” Was the first think that came out of my mouth? I couldn’t tell her that I was laying in bed and thinking of some random guy , that would sound so weird and so wrong .

“Oh ok, did you eat baby?” She asked running her fingers through my hair, trying to fix it. She had a habit of doing that , she hated it when my hair was all messed up and looked like a puff ball.

“Yeah, I ate mom. You are home early today? Is your work finally giving you some time to relax?” I asked her jokingly .

“Yeah, I know dear, I am just extra busy these days because the business is just taking off and I need to do some preparations before the grand opening of the store.” She said and  I stepped to the side to let her in, she came in and  sat down on the sofa in front of the TV.

“So how's school going?” she asked sounding curious and almost sounding sorry for not being there in the morning to send off my sister and I  to school as she used to do before.

“Ahhh, yeah, it’s going fine. I am working on it .” I replied picking up the textbook from my bed and showing it to her as I sat down on the bed facing her.

 

 

“Well honey, study hard ok? You are in your third year and this time is very important for you right now.“ She said smiling at me.

“Yeah I know mom, I will. “ I replied back with a smile.

“Ok than, if everything is fine, I guess I should let you go back to what you were doing.” She said slowly getting up from the sofa and heading for the door.

I got up as well and started to follow her out, when she suddenly jumped up remembering something.

“Oh dear, what about that dance completion you entered?”She asked in a worried voice.

I smiled at her sudden reaction and replied taking her hands in mine.

“Don’t worry mom, it’s not till another month and I am practicing very hard for it. Don’t worry!”

“Oh God! I thought I missed it again. I want to be there for this one to cheer on for my baby because I know I missed out on your last competition.” She said in an apologetic tone squeezing my hands in her own  hands , which were half the size of mine.

“Mom, you are the first person that is going to be there. I will personally take you there with me.” I replied back to her trying not to seem like I took it to heart that she wasn’t there last time, even though I was really looking forward to her coming to see me perform.

“Ok dear! “ She said and pulled me in for a tight hug patting the back of my head. No matter how old I get but every time mom hugs me like this I can’t help but feel like a five year old again.

“Ok, Goodnight now and don’t stay up till too late.” She said pulling away and walking out the door.

“Goodnight “I replied and went back to lying down on the bed.

I grabbed the textbook that was still on my bed and held it to my chest , wanting to  get back up to change my clothes but before I knew it ,my eyes slowly closed and I fell asleep.