The One In the Middle

And Then ,There Was You

 

2 Years later...

(No one’s POV)

 

Hyukjae managed to get by the first two years of university, he was now in his third year of his Dance Major and now he loved dancing more than ever, he was getting closer to his dream of becoming a chorographer. He spends hours each day at the university dance studio practicing and creating new moves, he has marked his position as the best dancer in his entire class or maybe even the best out of all the dance classes. His dance instructor praises him so much that he signed Hyukjae up for national dance competitions without even informing him first, of which Hyukjae won the first place four times already. Everyone see's the potential in Hyukjae, but Hyukjae did not see his full potential yet. For some reason his self esteem was lowering, he was slowly drifting away from his friends, which he barely even hang out with anymore. He started spending less time with his family as well , his grades were not suffering but they were also not as good as they were in the first and second year. Hyukjae found himself wanting to be alone most of the time now, he wanted to be isolated from the world around him and he just wanted to dance , dance until his legs gave up on him and his heart began to pain from the instance  breathing .

 

(Hyukjae POV)

 

Third year started and I am on my way to finding my first class of the semester, it’s one of those useless classes that you have to take outside your major, no matter which major you are in. I did not have a wide range of courses to choose from since I signed up late and all the good courses were already full , so I settled for a Social Science course called ‘Human and God ‘ , it sounds like it has something to do with  religion by the name of it . I really didn’t care , I just needed the credits , but I find it weird how  I chose this course over the other course that I was debating over called ‘World and Religion’ , they sound like  pretty much the same thing , but for some odd reason my mind and heart kept on pulling me towards taking this course . Maybe this is a good instinct that I will do well in this course, even though I have absolutely no interest or desire in learning about, human, god or the world for that matter.

I find the lecture hall for the “Human and God’ course, and no surprise it was a huge hall since you can expect to find students from all majors here. The hall was not even a quarter full yet, given that there was still half an hour before the class starts.

 

 

I entered the lecture hall, passed by the front stage and made my way up the stairs to find a seat. All of a sudden I heard some familiar voices calling out my name from the top seats.

“Hi Hyukjae! Over here! “It was Leeteuk, Heechul and Kangin.

Hearing their voices, I kind of felt relived, knowing that I was not going to have to suffer this course the entire semester on my own. I waved back at them, giving them a smile and went over to where they were sitting.

“Hi guys, you taking this class as well?” I asked in a hopeful tone.

“Like we have a choice, this is the only class that still had space left. “ Heechul replied in a sarcastic tone.

“Yeah, that’s exactly the reason I am here as well! “ I responded back in the same sarcastic tone.

“Just hope the Prof is chill, I don’t want to put up with some grumpy old man for the entire semester! “ Kangin said in an irritated voice.

“So anyways, where the hell have you been this past summer? You do not know how many parties and fun you missed out on! Our buddy, Shindong proposed to his girlfriend Nari and he wanted all of us to be there! I called you so many times over the summer break and even left you messages but somebody was too busy to call back! “Leeteuk said, looking disappointed at me.

Man, I feel like a jerk right now, ditching my friends like this. And what? Shindong proposed? Already? Man that guy is brave! He is literally going to kill me the next time I see him , how can I have not been there for him at such an important moment ?

In a shock, I tried to re-gather my thoughts and spilled out the first thing that came into my head, trying to sound as casual as possible.

“Yeah sorry guys, I actually want to Korea to visit my grandparents with my family and just came back a week before classes began.” I lied directly to their faces, not knowing what else excuse to make for my weird behaviour. We always used to hang out together over the summer but I just didn’t feel like doing that this summer and I couldn’t tell the guys this, they would think that I am some sort of looser or loner now.

“Yeah, you better make it up to Shindong for what you did ; he was so upset at you for not showing up at his proposal party. And really man, you went back to Korea? You were in Seoul this entire time? Man, I haven’t gone back since like grade five.” Leeteuk said in an excited yet envious voice believing my big fat lie.

I felt bad doing this to the guys, continuously lying to them to avoid going to parties, bars and clubs with them, I don’t know why but I am just not interested in those kinds of things anymore. They just don’t amuse me anymore.

The guys continued on with the conversation about Korea, oh lord, what kind of topic did I bring up? I tried to stay out of the discussion, so they wouldn’t ask me about my trip, which never happened. So I let the guys talk among themselves, as I pretended to take out my things and get ready for class.

More students were starting to come in now and the lecture hall was starting to fill up, as there were only fifteen minutes left before class starts now but the Prof Still hadn’t shown up yet.

With nothing to do I just sat there looking at people walk in and settle down in front of the huge lecture screen.

People kept on coming in and the hall was getting noisy now but at one point the door opened, three guys walked in and my eyes suddenly fell on ... the one in the middle.

 

He wasn’t tall , nor was he extremely short. The bright lights from above reflected off his black hair , which were medium length and swept to the side . He  was wearing a black leather jacket and black jeans .His backpack was thrown over his left shoulder , his body was not that built , but he seemed to be in good shape . The strong lights made his dark brown eyes look like two wet marbles from where I was sitting . The shorter guy on his left leaned over and said something in his ear , and the middle one jerked his head back , smacking his thigh laughed hysterically with his mouth wide open. As he continued laughing he started smacking the other guys shoulder because something seemed to be so funny.  Who hits others like that , while they laugh? Seriously ?

As the one in the middle continued laughing , his lips got soaked with his saliva , even making them sparkle from all those heavy ceiling lights but now he calmed down a little and  covered his mouth with his right hand , trying to contain himself from laughing further .

My eyes followed his every move, there were two other guys beside him but my eyes stayed glued on him.

The three guys slowly made their way up the stairs , looking for a place to sit . They were getting closer to where me and my friends were seated and as they did that my eyes refused to leave his face .

The taller more broader guy was in front and the shorter guy was behind him , they chose to sit two rows in front of us . From all the empty seats in the lecture hall , they chose those ones. As they were about to sit , the shortest one all of a sudden  turned around and caught me looking at his friend , I noticed and quickly looked towards him, he gave be a smirk and sat down. Not sure of how to react , I hurriedly put my head down , pretending like nothing happened ,feeling like an idiot.

Oh my god ! What the hell ? I just realized that I was literally staring at them this whole time , ever since they walked in , with my jaw dropped open and with  my crazy eyes popping out? Seriously , a guy caught me staring at another guy like some sort of weirdo? Oh my god , I feel so stupid right now !

As they sat down facing away from me , I found myself tilting my head to get another glimpse of that middle one's face, even though I was caught red handed by his own friend just a few seconds ago. I could only see the back of his head now , his shinny black hair swept from side to side over his black leather jacket collar as he moved his head around to talk to his friends , who were seated on either side of him now.

Why did my eyes not want to leave him , why was I so eager to watch his every move and why were my palms getting sweaty?

I was suddenly startled by Heechul's nudge.

“ Looks like you got your wish Kangin , didn’t you want a old grumpy looking Prof ? Well here you go .” Heechul said mockingly , as he gave me a nudge on my right arm to catch my attention.

Heechul and Leeteuk laughed and gave each other a high five, trying to irritate Kangin, as they always did cause he was the easiest to annoy out of all of us and it was fun to watch him snap.

“Shut up guys , he’s not only going to be teaching me but you idiots as well !” Kangin replied back soundly annoyed .

So the Prof finally came in , just five minutes before class started . He was old , white and kind of mean looking . He made his way over to the stage and started to unpack his things and got the lecture slides ready.

Even with all of this going on around me,  my eyes kept on moving back and forth between the rest of the lecture hall and that guy sitting in front of me . He still didn't turn around , so I kept looking at his back . I was kind of relived that he didn’t look back , afraid that his friend would of told him about my creepy staring , but at the same time I wanted to see his face again , I wanted him to look back in my direction.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------