First Encounters

Different Cultures Collide

Day six in Korea and I still can't manage to get to my home without my address written down. How am I going to survive here for a whole year?! Summer blew out the breath she was holding when the taxi driver handed her address back and smiled. So far, he was the nicest one she had encountered and hoped he didn't try to rip her off.

The agency who was paying her to be in Korea got her a smart phone with a special app added on it so she could calculate around the price it would be to get her from here to there. Out of the ten taxis she had taken, six of them had tried to rip her off, and one of them even under charged her, telling her in their broken English they hope she gets used to life in Korea soon.

As the taxi pulled up to her building, the elderly man parked and messed with the meter a bit. After he was done, it showed half the price that she was supposed to pay. Her eyes got wide and she shook her head.

"No. Not enough..." She told him in her horrible Korean.

He smiled and nodded. "You are new, it must be frustrating." She only caught half of what he said but she understood what he was trying to say and nodded. 

She handed the money over and then handed him a little extra. Before he could give it back to her, she quickly got out of the cab and ran to the door of the building. She turned and waved at him before she punched in her code and walked inside the building. 

It was a very nice building that held probably twenty appartments. In the lobby there was also a cafe where coffee and treats were sold around the clock for those who were in need of a pick me up. There was a set of stairs that went all the way up to the 11th floor, each landing branching off to the appartments on either side. She was on the second level, appartment on the right. 

Just like any other large building, there were elevators, but she chose the stairs. Just within six days she could feel her jeans getting tighter from all the delicious food she had been stuffing in her face. She was already curvy, she didn't need to add more curves.

Before she could reach the stairs, she tripped over a rug that had been curled over and bumped into a male holding a fresh iced coffe. 

Silently she thanked whatever was out there that it had been iced. She didn't need to add "Scalding Random Stranger" to her adventures in Korea. 

Repeating one of the only things in Korea she knew, "I'm so sorry", she bowed over and over and bent down to pick up the empty cup. 

She ran to the Coffee Shop counter to get some napkins and ran back to the male, repeating she was sorry again.

The guy laughed and waved her off. He started talking to her in Korea as he took the napkins out of her hands. 

Even if she had been fluent in Korean, she would not have known what he had said. 

In front of her was the most beautiful man she had ever met. He had an amazing smile and the most delicious lips she would like to kiss. 

What?! What am I thinking?! He is a stranger and doesn't even know I am useless in his mother language! How could I think like that?! Summer berated herself as she stared at the handsome stranger with a blank expression.

He raised his eyebrows and said something else in Korean. 

Summer remembered the piece of paper that the lady from the agency, Hyosung, had given her. She held up her finger briefly, hoping that wasn't rude, to search for the paper in her purse.

Once she found it, she read off one of the sentences Hyosung had given her. "I am sorry, I do not speak Korean as of yet." Her pronounciation made the male chuckled.

"Oh. You American?" 

His voice just made my heart melt like butter

"Yes I am." She smiled and nodded her head slightly.

"Oh! I sorry! Um. Do not worry about mess. You alright?" As he was trying to get the sentence out, his eyebrows furrowed and gave him the cutest expression Summer had ever seen on a guy.

She nodded. "Are you?"

He smiled brighter than before and nodded. "My name Sun Woo." He held out his hand.

Summer took it and smiled. "My name is Summer."

"Oh! Like season!" His eyes lit up at the small amount of knowledge he knew. 

Giggling, Summer nodded. "Exactly."

They stood there smiling at each other for a minute as someone came and cleaned up the mess.

"I teach you Korean. You teach me English?" Sun Woo asked out of nowhere.

"Oh yes please!" Summer breathed a sigh of relief.

He clapped childishly and dug his phone out of his pocket. Handing it to her he said 'phone' in Korean as she plucked her phone out of her purse and handed it to him repeating the word so she could try to memorize it. 

They put in their numbers and gave their phones back. 

"BARO!" A guy who looked younger than Sun Woo yelled at him as he bounded down the stairs. 

"Uh.. I should go.." Summer looked at Sun Woo as the other male skidded to a halt in front of the pair. "Text me?"

Sun Woo gave her a thumbs up and smiled in the cutest way possible as she walked away and started up the stairs.

Well... Maybe my adventures won't be so bad if I can just learn enough Korean to talk to him.