What Can You Do?

Different Cultures Collide

"Summer get in here!" 


Well this can't be good... Summer thought as she finished putting on her clothes for work. Mom never yells at me this early...

As she stepped into the kitchen where her mother, who just so happened to be a dead beat mom, sat with her alcoholic father. She took a good look at the pair, her father was a big time lawyer so he had a ton of money to support the three of them, while her mother mooched off her father and stayed at home all day watching soap operas and letting herself get fat.

"Yes mother?" 

"Are you going to work today? Good, tell them you need to bumped up to full time because you need to get the hell out of my house. You are twenty years old already and you aren't out of my sight." Her mother sneered and shoved full of bacon.

I knew it was only a matter of time... "Yes mother..." She snuck a glance at her father, who seemed too interested in his new case, to see if he showed any emotion. And she knew as soon as she looked at him, he would be of no help. "How long do I have to find a place?"

"A week."

A week?! That's not enough time!! "Yes mother." 

Summer grabbed her purse, laptop bag, and car keys as she walked out the front door. As she got into her car, everything sunk in and she started crying. After five minutes, she composed herself and started to drive off to work.

She worked at a small diner just a few miles away from home. She got decent tips and her pay wasn't all that bad, but what her mother didn't know, is that there were no full time spots at the diner. The only one who had a full time spot was the owner and that didn't even count. 

Turning on the radio, one of her favorite songs came on. Don't You Worry Child by Swedish House Mafia. Oh how fitting this song was at this moment. 

As Summer pulled into the parking lot, she realized she had well over an hour before she had to work, so she figured she would start looking for a second job and a place to stay. 

"Ah! Summer! You're here already?" The owner came up to her and led her to a booth where they both sat down, while a waitress set down two cups of coffee for them. "Home life still isn't treating you right is it?" 

"My parents are kicking me out in a week and I have no where to go... Do you know any other places hiring part time?"

The balding thought about it as Summer brought out her laptop. "Come to think of it, a family friend is looking for a person willing to travel for a job. I don't know the specifics, but it pays well and it would get you out of this small town. I can put in a good word for you."

Summer smiled for the first time that morning. "I would be forever in your debt!" 

The older man chuckled. "Just doing a good job would suffice. I'll go call him and have him come meet you on your lunch break."

Maybe I shouldn't worry. I'll be okay.

~~~~

"So... You're telling me I would have to move to Korea...?" Summer cupped her hands around the glass of soda sitting in front of her. "I know nothing of the culture..."

"The great thing is, we will have people over there to show you around and teach you all that you need to know. This job is kind of like a test. We are sending about five people to different countries to see how each adapt to different cultures. Your housing will be paid, you will get a large amount of money for food expenses, and we will give you money for fun and shopping on top of what we are paying you." The man in the spiffy suit showed her a pamphlet of everything she needed to know.

"That's... That's what you are going to pay me?!" Summer's voice went up an octave as she stared at the amount. 

"Yes. That is not including the food and fun money." He chuckled and pulled out a small contract. "There is nothing hidden between the lines. Most agencies who do this would give you limits, like no relationships, no clubbing, and so on and so forth, but we want you to experience Korea. Fall in love, go clubbing, sleep around for all you care. I'm not saying that you look like that type of girl.. sorry if I offended you.. but that is how we want you to live there. Just like you would here."

He set the contract in front of her. "I need to go talk to my dear old friend, read over the contract and tell me what you think afterwards. Okay?" The gentleman smiled and stood up. 

As soon as he walked away, Summer began to read.

Ten minutes passed and he came back.

"So what do you think Summer?"

"What is your name?"

"My name is Matthew Mcgreg. But please, just call me Matt." He smiled gently at her, his wrinkles showing.

Summer nodded. "Okay Matt. Where do I sign?"

----

 

Hope you guys enjoyed! I wasn't sure how I was going to start this story, but it just kind of flowed out ^^ Love you all!!