Chapter 1 : Friendship

♫ Sunbae... Saranghae ♥

----September 2001----

“Hi guys. My name is Kim Jae Joong, just call me Jaejoong. I come from Gongju and just pass the last week’s audition. I was born on 26th January 1986. Ermm.. Thats all?,” and everyone are clapping.

“Is this his bag?,” Hyoyeon come near Jessica, pointing at the blue colour bag next to her which Jessica just nodded as a response.

“I see. You got a new friend already. He’s quite a looking. Yah, introduce him to me once he got here, okay?”

And she just ignores Hyoyeon and concentrate on all the new trainees that line up in front of the class. 

“So this is the 2001-line trainees and I believe you already know few of them since they came early this year,” Mr Kim explained.

“Wow, this year got so many new comers. It’s like more than 10,” Hyoyeon keep talking and writing something on her note book, maybe the new trainees’ names since she’s like to be friends with all people she met. 

“Yah Sica, what is that girl’s name? The one with braids.” Hyoyeon pointed at a darker skin girl who keeps smiling.

“Kwon Yuri. Shim Changmin. Kim Jongwoon. Han Geng. Kim Jaejoong. Lee Donghae. Lee Sungmin. Lee Hana. Choi Shinwoo. Jung Seo In . Han...”

“Wow, you’re a genius. How can you remember all their names just like that,” Hyoyeon grabs Jessica’s hand from keep pointing on the new trainees one by one. 

“Okay you guys can go to your sit. Now let continues our lesson. Remember what we promise to do today????” Mr. Kim then go back to his sit while all the trainees there response with a slow ‘yesss’ response.

“Aww.. don’t be nervous. Okay, we start with group A. Kim Junsu, Hong Sunmi, Lee Tae Young and Kim Da Eun.”

The four of them go to the front and start singing as a group. Group by group start performing and the atmosphere in the classroom feel so warm. There are trainees who pick dance songs while others prefer to harmonize the ballads.

“Next, the last group to perform, Group F, Jung Yunho, Jung Sooyeon, Kim Soyeon and Kwon Ga Young.”

“Wow, Jessica. You’re next. Hwaiting,” Jaejoong who is next to her try to be friendly and cheer for her which result her to smile.

Hyoyeon who just glare from the front give Jaejoong a shock look, “You guys are already that close?”

Jaejoong nodded and smile friendlily, and then focusing on the ballad performed in front of the class.

After receiving an impressive response from the crowd, Jessica walks toward her sit which she expected a great praise by the new friend. 

“Wow. You seriously have a great voice. Where is that coming from? You can just debut right now,” Jaejoong still giving her a clap and Jessica just give him i-know-you’ll-say-that face. “Oh, by the way, I believe you need to call me oppa.”

Jessica seems to be shocked but when she saw her note book was in Jaejoong’s hand, she got it. He just looks at her profile in that book.

“Give me back,” she grab her book back and pack her belongings.

“Er..are you mad? I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to read your note book but....”

“Are you hungry?” Jessica asked while zipping her bag.

“Hungry? Did you mean angry? Or, er, yes I’m quite hungry. But if you mean...”

“Then come on. Follow me.” Jessica just walked away from there while Jaejoong just clumsily follow her.

“Where are we going?” Jaejoong still feel like he’s in the new world and the only people he knows is Jessica. “Are you by any chance, a gangster or something like that? You are not going to hit me, right? Look, I’m really sorry. I have no intention to..... Woah!! Where are we now? This room looks amazing. And who are they? Your gang?”

Jaejoong now has a mixture feeling now, sorry-scared-impress while entering a new room with Jessica.

“Yah Sica. What do you want to order? Ask your new friend too.” Hyoyeon, who still with her pen and paper just go around the room to take orders.


“As usual, Jajjangmyun. You?” Jessica then look at Jaejoong.

“Same,” with the remaining scared feeling in his heart, he really cannot think what to eat.

“Hyoyeon-ah. Two jajjangmyun.” Jessica just shouted to Hyoyeon which Hyoyeon just give an OK sign. She then moved to a corner of the room and sit on the floor, with Jaejoong keeps following her, of course.

“Jessica-ah...”

“Just call me Sica.”

“Er..okay, Je...” and of course, Jaejoong just got a classic glare from his new friend for his little mistake. “Sorry...”

“What?” Jessica then pulls a small pillow from her bag just to put her head on it.

“Woah. Are you by any chance related to Doraemon?” Jaejoong now feel comfortable with a girl next to him.

“Kind of. Wake me up when the food come.” Jessica then closed her eyes, having a nap leaving Jaejoong speechless.

“Just leave her there. She does that the best,” a tall guy comes to approach Jaejoong who also feel a little sleepy.


“You mean, sleeping?” and the guy just nodded. “Ah, you! You are the one in her group before, right? Hi, I’m Jaejoong.”

“Jung Yunho. And I believe we’re in the same age, from your intro earlier.” And they’re exchanging handshake and smiles.

“Er..can I ask you something? What is this room for? I’s so big and..”

“She didn’t tell you?” Yunho pointed at Jessica while Jaejoong just shake his head. “Haha this girl. This is the main dance room and we love to gather here during our break time. You see the guy in the blue shirt? Thats Jungsoo, Park Jungsoo. He’s like the leader here. And the two kids who always take the orders, thats Hyoyeon and Hyukjae. Their major is dancing. So when you want to order your lunch, just tell them. And the girl who is sleeping next to you, I bet you knew her already. Jessica, a girl from The States. She just came here last year, so her Korean must not be really good. Thats why she doesn’t like to talk much. You see a group there....

And suddenly, the room became hyper and they’re so loud.

“...oh I bet the food is coming. Wake her up,” Yunho then run to the crowd, leaving Jaejoong in an awkward state.

‘Do I really need to wake her up? How?’ Jaejoong’s brain just works as fast as his heartbeat. He’s just too nervous and don’t know how to wake the ice princess up. 

Jaejoong then just walk toward Hyoyeon without bothering Jessica.

“Ah, you, Sica’s new friend. 2 jajjangmyun right? And here’s your free drink.” Then she kept doing her food management thingy with a smile on her face.

With the food in his hand, he walked back to Jessica who is still sleeping. After thinking how to wake her up, he finally put the jajjangmyun right in front of Jessica’s nose, which make Jessica move a little. 

“Ah, the food is here?” Jessica then wakes up from her sleep and ready to eat her food.

“You’re from The States?” Jaejoong try to be friendlier.

“Yup. I bet you already talk to Jungsoo oppa.” Jessica continues eating.

“Nope. Yunho told me, the guy in your group earlier,” Jaejoong explained which make Jessica cough.

“Yunho oppa. You mean Jung Yunho?” Jessica looks a little bit shock, and Jaejoong nodded. “He must really like you. He rarely talks to new trainee.”

“I don’t think so. He is so friendly, and you know his accent? It’s funny but cool. Not like someone here.” He tried to give her a glare but it looks like she doesn’t even care. He then accidently found a new side of his new friend, the one with cold face, look really charming while eating. 

“Are you going to eat your meal or glaring at her like that?” Hyoyeon then come to join them with a new friend.

“Who is she?” Jessica then looks at the new girl.

“Hi, i’m Kwon Yuri. Nice to meet you Jessica unnie. Your performance before is so great. I wish I can sing like unnie too.” The girl introduced herself.

“How old are you?” Jessica then asked Yuri.

“Oh, I’m the 89er, unnie.” Yuri response, politely. Jessica then look at Hyoyeon with a you-did-this-again look and just go with the flow.

Jaejoong, who just witness anything there just giggle a little bit thinking, ‘Thanks God I got Jessica as my first friend, not this Hyoyeon. Poor Yuri.’

“Yuri-ah. I forgot to take my drink from Hyukjae oppa. Can you go and take it please, for unnie.” Hyoyeon use her aegyo voice toward Yuri.

“Okay,unnie,” and Yuri just obey everything.

“Yah Kim HyoYeon. What are you thinking?” Jessica cannot help but to let out her laugh.

“Don’t you hear the rumours? She’s Kwon Yuri! The one who nailed the audition with her dancing skills. She got the 1st place you know. I need to check on her, and never let her take my spot in here.” Hyoyeon passionately explain to Jessica.

“2days. Until tomorrow,” said Jessica.

“Ah.. 3days for me,” replied Hyoyeon.

“Wait, what are you guys talking about?” Jaejoong cannot help but to ask since he keeps listening from the beginning. 

“Oh, we’re betting on how long she can be fooled,” explain Hyoyeon. “And the one who lost need to clear all the dancing room here on this weekend.”


“Unnieee!!!!!!!!!!!!! “ Jessica ran into someone’s arm, and look really happy.

Jaejoong who just followed her is now speechless. He cannot even move his feet to walk and all his body seems paralyzed. ‘Is that BoA? The Kwon BoA? She knew her? Oh My God! ! !’

“Is that your boyfriend,” BoA asked Jessica while both of them walking toward Jaejoong.

“No. He just came in today and he keeps following me.” Jessica cheerfully explains.

‘No no. I must be dreaming right now. BoA is now in front of me and Jessica keeps smiling and looks cheerful like this. It’s 100% dreaming. Wake up Jaejoong. Wake up!!!’ 

“You’re not dreaming. And I believe your name is Jaejoong,” BoA giggle seeing Jaejoong like that.

’ What? She heard me? Am I thinking out loud?’

“Yes you are, pabo,” Jessica then drag BoA to walk with her and Jaejoong just keeps following them.

“Your friend is funny,” Boa cannot help but to laugh.

“He’s not funny. He’s weird.”



----December 2001----

Jessica seems to blend really well with Jaejoong now. She’s not as cold as before and they become really good friends. Jaejoong, who also has the cold vibe in him, already befriends with most of the trainees there, thanks to his friendliness. He already knows Yunho, Jungsoo, Hyukjae, Changmin, Junsu, Jongwoon, Donghae, Sungmin and many more. Since he’s a guy, it’s normal for him to spend most of his time there with the guys. But Jessica, as his first friend always has a special place in his heart.

“Why don’t you confess your feeling to her?” Yunho’s loud voice wake Jaejoong’s up from his day dreaming.

“Are you crazy? She just likes me as a friend. There is no way I can ruin this friendship.” Donghae explained seriously.

“What if she also has a feeling for you?” Jungsoo also feels excited.

“Hyung, do you really think thats possible?” Changmin bluntly interrupt and all his hyungs there just gave a glare. “I mean, someone needs to ask her first, like giving her a hint, or something like that.”

“I agree. Hyukjae-ah, you’re close with Hyoyeon, right? Why don’t you ask her to ask Sica about it?” with sparkling eyes, Junsu gave some idea.

’ Ah.. they’re talking about Sica? So, Donghae likes Sica?’ as usual, Jaejoong just sit there, in his own world.

“Ah, that girl is loud. She might tell other people about this and that cannot happen.” Hyukjae sigh.

“Isn’t Jaejoong hyung also close with Sica?” Changmin interrupt.

“Oh yeah. How can we forget that. Donghae-ah, you can also write a letter to her, and let Jaejoong be the postman.” Jongwoon, who deeply think about it then giving a great idea which result everyone nodded in the same time, except Jaejoong and Donghae.

“Hyung, is it okay?” Donghae then asked Jaejoong.

“I’ll try to help, if I can. Don’t worry,” 

-

“Bye guys,”

Jessica packed her belonging into her bag after waving at her friends. Her school time is over and now it is time for her to go to SM Academy for her training. Thinking about training in SM Academy, she always feels happy because it’s always been her dream to become a singer one day. While walking towards the gate, she saw a very familiar feature, waiting for her.

“Oppa, why are you here?” Jessica approach Jaejoong who immediately gave her a weak smile.

“Lets walk to the academy together.” And Jessica just nodded.

During the walk, Jessica seems to have lots of story to tell Jaejoong. She cannot stop talking. Telling him about how she slept in the class, how the teacher scolds her, and even tells him about a weird boy who likes her in her class. She seems to be really happy, without noticing his expression.

Jaejoong, who pretended like he heard everything just smile although deep inside his heart, something is bothering him. The letter inside his bag, where he promised Donghae to give Jessica, is still there.

‘Should I give it to her or not? What if she really has the feeling for Donghae? But I already made a promise. A guy can never break his promise. But why am I like this? It’s really a great thing, Jessica and Donghae. Both are good kids and both are my great friends. I should be happy for them. But why am I feeling down like this?’

“OPPA!!!” Jessica loud voice make him come back to reality. “Oppa, are you okay? You can just go home if you’re not feeling well. I’ll tell Mr Kim about it.”

“I’m okay.”

“Do you have a problem? Just tell me oppa. I’ll help you if I can,” feeling a little bit worry, Jessica tried to make her friend feel good.

’Yes, I have a really big problem. And my biggest problem is you.’