The master of reverie

A Destined Reverie

Dreams, thus a silent flow of long gone memories, loved owned and cherished, or ignored and forsaken otherwise. Human lives were indescribable, and dreams…

…well dreams, they played a massive role in life.

Kim Myung Soo, at his young age of seventeen had many many dreams in life. He dreamed of his happiness, of worlds and worlds apart where dragons and unicorns and all sort of childish desires dominated which were nothing but the elementary thoughts of his young mind; yet one, he was certain, was destined. He was destined to become a singer, and so was it a dream bound to come true. He worked day and night for it; long hours of practices without breaking a sweat until the crack of dawn, vocal training, morning workout, let alone school with work loaded up to his nose being a student a year before he graduated high school, simply in a nutshell, Kim Myung Soo’s life was hectic, he had not even a second to breath…or to dream, otherwise. Yet his only dream being the reverie of becoming a singer, none of this mattered. Even if he had to work for it from day to night with every passing second, he would care no more. This was his life, this was his dream, and he was well aware, as a certainty, that nothing could ever penetrate him, nothing could ever shatter and destroy what his heart constantly desired.

Or so he thought.

Everything came crumbling down upon him like a long contemplated brutal apocalypse the moment he got seized by a flu, of the worse kind, despondently enough and bringing things to an even worse of a situation, he lied unconscious, dead to the world due to the merciless decrease of platelets in his veins. And then he, miraculously yet eccentrically enough in a way that no one could ever recall,  was linked to a dimension utterly diverse from his own; a dimension where the most unexpected marvels existed in reality, where the most phenomenal transpires took place, where all the many dreams came true…yes, he was linked to the wonderful land of dreams, and when he finally opened his eyes to the world, he owned them all, he manipulated them with his very own mind, Kim Myung Soo became the master of reverie, thus did he become the master of all the dreams, he was in control.

Oblivious to the worlds apart, oblivious to every person in particular, every person in general otherwise, he manipulated what they dreamed.

To a certain extent that was; for in spite of his brutal misery and childish excitement, he could never ever manipulate his own.

Closing his eyes, Kim Myung Soo tried his best to concentrate on the count.

“One…two…three…”

The music began.

Infinite, simply defined; was a group of youngsters with never ending dreams and timeless desires and millions of possibilities. Consisted of seven equally talented flawless young men, predominantly high schoolers and high school leavers, the group worked from day to night in preparation for their upcoming debut as a full-fledged professional musicians of the kpop industry, which was, nevertheless, the one exceptional dream that each of their hearts commonly held. Kim Myung Soo was the second youngest, the strangest of all who held a quite eccentric façade as cold and quiet as an Ice-prince. Bearing superior good looks and sharpest deep dark eyes, there was no doubt in him becoming the visual of the group. In accordance to the judgment of Kim Sung Gyu, the oldest and perceptibly the leader of the group; only the existence of Kim Myung Soo was enough for the idol’s survival as Kim Myung Soo himself.

But as a group over-all, individual commitment always, always mattered for their persistence.

Which was evidently the prime reason why Kim Myung Soo was constantly told off for his lack of concentration.

Conversely, nobody knew of the massive distraction. Closing his eyes, all Kim Myung Soo could think of were dreams, for he was the master of reverie.

The music stopped, and soon, not failing to his expectations, leader Sung Gyu appeared before him, his tiny eyes burning with anger for this was the fifth victorious time that Kim Myung Soo lost his concentration on the steps.

The steps of the dance, preliminarily had to be flawless, and Myung Soo’s lack of concentration was definitely not about to do any good. Not that he was capable of taking his abilities under control. A second of closed eyes, Kim Myung Soo’s young persistent mind would always, always wander off to someone’s dream. The dreams weren’t particularly interesting, well, several of them were, but most weren’t. However what caught his mere attention mostly was wandering off into people’s dreams, and controlling them in all the ways that he desired. It was mostly definitely of an interesting matter.

This, however, could never be elaborated to the narrow minded Kim Sung Gyu. Despite his exceptional singing abilities and leaderly instincts, he certainly did lack of imagination.

Although imagination wasn’t what we were particularly regarding to.

“How many times do I have to repeat Myung Soo? At the fourth count drop your hand!” Sung Gyu yelled at the top of his lungs, deliberately demonstrating his well- practiced dance moves. Sung Gyu was certainly of the devoted type, of the kind who’d do absolutely anything to achieve what he desired, and there was no possible way of arguing-not that Myung Soo did under regular basis-comparing to him, all that Myung Soo had done for the group so far was nothing, he couldn’t remember the last time he saw their leader in his bed.

Myung Soo bowed and quietly muttered his apology, which Sung Gyu swiftly ignored. Instead of throwing the latter a coldest glare through his tiny dark eyes, Sung Gyu turned to their choreographer, who helplessly watched the commotion.

“Let’s start from there Choreographer-nim” Sung Gyu said politely, opposing to which, the older one distinctly shook his head. “That’s enough for now, Sung Gyu…you kids need a rest…”

And he was absolutely right. Looking around the practice hall, what Myung Soo could see was his fellow members, except for Sung Gyu, scattered all over the wooden floor as though they were trees pulled off their roots by a thunderstorm.

Sung Gyu simply gave up on trying to argue, thus were the kids given two hours of rest, the seven youngsters were to set out for a fresh bath, lunch followed suite.

And as for Myung Soo, well, it was for him to travel through dreams.

All that he needed to do was to allow his mind drift away; day dreaming, to be more precise, and unlike the general idealistic phenomenon of day dreaming, Myung Soo dreamed for others, in other words, he walked into them, whatever they dreamed, and paint them into a more beautiful deliberate marvel which, sometimes, even come true. The dreamer, conversely, knew nothing, felt nothing but instead think that he or she, in fact was a sorcerer of some sort who had dreams coming true. But well, from first glance, how could anyone tell? Kim Myung Soo was ordinary, just simple and ordinary in everyone’s eyes and nobody would ever believe the truth that this particular person could actually change and control what one dreamed of.

And when he dreamed, Myung Soo could never stop. He dreamed and dreamed and dreamed on, walked into unbelievable marvels, painted indescribable beauty and encountered the most extraordinary, even the most horrendous of all, yet he’d never stop. He’d meet flying horses and sun-less worlds, mourning women and courageous knights, princes and princesses of all sorts, and most importantly, people. People; men, women young girls and boys, those who possessed beautiful hearts and raving rage under unharmed fake smiles, people who planned joy and harm, all this, unaware to them all, Kim Myung Soo knew; and whenever he encountered the badness, he’d repaint them and turn the anger into joy, transform the darkness into shining sunlight as though his intentions were to make the world a better place. But, Myung Soo was well aware what dreams could do to you, yes, dreams, dreams take control.

And Myung Soo took control of them.

If only the annoying elementary minded Lee Sung Yeol didn’t exist…

Myung Soo had nothing against Lee Sung Yeol, as a matter of fact. But the exact reason why he tended to be a real pain, he could never comprehend. Everyone loved Lee Sung Yeol, his cheerfulness was a vitamin to the team, and his laughter could make one laugh along (Although it hadn’t much impact as much as Dong Woo’s did) but there was something about him which always got on his nerves. Myung Soo truthfully wanted to get closer to him and know him better. Despite his childishness, Lee Sung Yeol had an extremely interesting persona, and for some reason, Myung Soo felt like he’d give anything to know him better and be the closest friends of all, but to no avail, Sung Yeol just kept on climbing up his nereves.

Myung Soo was happily wandering off in a child’s dream, of a certain girl he didn’t know of, who was dreaming of riding horses in a grassland when he heard Sung Yeol’s voice from a far, followed by a harsh shaking on his arm. The latter was seated on the right of the older, staring (Or pretending to stare) out at the road while the members were heading back to their dorm for lunch. Lee Sung Yeol kept on pulling on his arm until he gained the required attention; at times, it was hard for Myung Soo to believe that he was truthfully older to him.

“It’s Myung Soo! It’s Myung Soo!” He was saying on and on, still not done with what he did, Myung Soo finally pulled away.

“Me? What?” He inquired, to which Woohyun, the weird hyung with loads of greasy pick-up lines piled up in his head, replied. “Lunch duty”

Myung Soo said no word but stared at the other. Woohyun, understanding what he meant, sighed distinctly. “I know what you’re thinking, but the kid is literally sick…you see, for five hours, you made us do the same thing over and over again-,”

“Woohyun, enough” Interrupted Sunggyu from his seat. He hadn’t bothered to turn around to speak, being leader-like as always, he glanced at Myung Soo through the rear view mirror. “Dongwoo’s tired, Myung Soo fetch food…”

He had no power to argue.

“And also, Woohyun, Dongwoo’s not a kid, he’s a hyung to you”

 

The boys lived in their CEO’s residents for the time being until their debut, and the place only had one bathroom which the seven of them couldn’t share, thus the boys set off to the common bath just a few meters away from where they lived with the relevant needs (towels, buckets, soap, shampoo and cloths respectively). Basically, they all shared one shower hall which occupied eight cubicles with shower stands, and once the boys occupied the place, it was sheer apocalypse, and being the day dreamer he were, Myung Soo could never stand the noise, therefore he’d sneek into an individual cubicle on his own, lock himself up inside and quietly enjoy the bath, day dreaming all the while.

He dreamed and dreamed and dreamed along, wandered into others’ dreams and painted them with his own.

After bath, the rest of the members set back home while Myung Soo being punished on his conduct, was shooed away to buy lunch, kimchi fried rice to be precise from a road-side food cart where they made the best. It was a twenty minutes of a ride in the bus.

Myung Soo couldn’t expect anything to be even worse.

But then again, he didn’t mind having to stay away from the group for a while, he didn’t mind at all. Truthfully he had nothing against them, but the fact that they had so much to chatter about always irritated him, he’d rather extricate himself from it all and hide himself in somewhere dark and dream and dream and paint others’ dreams in every way he desired…

He plopped down on an unoccupied seat and pulled up the hood of his sweater, hiding himself behind the exact same darkness, and prepared to dream…

…but he couldn’t, he just couldn’t. Just when his eyes landed on indescribable beauty glimmering before his very eyes, he just couldn’t dream anymore.

Summer rays glimmering on thousands and thousands of petunias and chrysanthemums, million stars in a dark midsummer night, angels with unicorns and courageous horse riding princesses of his childish dreams and desires could never ever be compared to the beauty which shimmered in day light before his eyes. He couldn’t blink, not once, he couldn’t breathe, and he couldn’t move his eyes. For Kim Myung Soo, the whole realm stood still in time, unmoving, timeless; the whole world had dropped dead seized by the eternal beauty of an angel alive on earth itself.

Bae Suji pushed her long dark mane of hair over her shoulder and offered the world a smile, unaware to the fact that the very scheme of her had stopped the beating of a youthful heart.

Yes, Bae Suji. The young, clever and drop-dead gorgeous Bae Suji shined perpetually before Kim Myung Soo’s very eyes, unaware to the sheer truth, oblivious to the eyes that traced each and every one of her moves, unknowing the irregular beating of a restless heart, Bae Suji smiled beautifully; and Kim Myung Soo was certain, he was certain that this one girl, this one beautiful marvel of god would never second to any graceful phenomenon that existed on the earth itself.

He grasped hard onto the folds of his knees as though he was holding onto his heart from throwing itself towards her direction, truly enough, he couldn’t believe that such a thing could happen even.

Could this be what they call love at first sight?

He wasn’t too sure.

All through the ride, he could find no strength to dream but stare at the shimmering wonder of a fairytale princess, he had no purpose of dreaming, for what he was seeing was a dream coming true. He never believed in love at first sight, at the age of seventeen, he still hadn’t thought of being in love, nor did he have space or point in his hectic life to let love bloom within himself; but oddly enough, he was suddenly thrown off guard. No, he was suddenly thrown deep into the wonderful bliss of first sight blossom, and he had no way of return.

He almost missed his stop. Only if she didn’t climb down at the very same spot…

It must have been fate…

Myung Soo followed after her footsteps, softly, diligently, and afraid to break her trance. She was certainly younger to him, yet her simple summer attire of her school uniform did absolutely no harm to her utter beauty, even with no make-up or beautiful dresses, the fine young girl glowed marvelously which was just worth staring.

Worth staring for Kim Myung Soo…it was much, much better than walking into a ten year-old girl’s fairy-tale dreams.

Destiny had truly answered him, there was no doubt. Bae Suji, unaware to the eyes which followed her stopped before the very same food cart. Was she a frequent visitor? If so, why hadn’t he seen her before? Well, of course, Kim Myung Soo, majestically enough, had always skipped up on his lunch duty. But now he was certain, he’d do lunch duty any day, any sort of food duty, he wouldn’t care, as long as this particular food cart was concerned.

Bae Suji purchased two portions of Bulgogi, and smiled delicately at the older man, Myung Soo could swear that his heart fluttered away to cloud nine…

When Myung Soo made his way through towards the girl, he felt as though he were walking on clouds. But of course he had no courage to approach her, nor did he have strength to gather it. It was too soon, and would be too weird if he did out of the blue. He’d sit back, and observe…

…just like he’d do with an unbearably beautiful dream…

But he just didn’t want to let her leave…

And fate still worked.

Just as he wished for her to not to leave his sight, she didn’t. Instead she slowly made her way towards the petit shed where several plastic chairs and tables were set out for the diners, picked a place fair enough for Myung Soo to view from where he stood, plopped down into the chair, kept her two shares of food and waited…and waited…and waited…

Myung Soo walked to the cart and kept his order. Since it’s an order for nine people (Two manager Hyungs included) he had to wait too…

And so he waited…stared and waited…dreamed and waited…he dreamed…

He dreamed and dreamed and dreamed at his heart’s content, and all he dreamed were real, for his very dream, the dream that he’d dream right then existed in material on earth itself. What purpose was there to dream when he didn’t have to…?

He stared at her and pretended to dream. She seemed more like a dream than anything real in his eyes.

Well, with his eyes, he traced her, drew her out in the thin air. His eyes ran over the oval almond shaped dark ones of hers, slowly moved down to the perfectly placed nose, and slowly…slowly, they grasped the beautiful formation of her lips. His breathe hitched in his throat. They were so soft, graceful, like petals of rose blossoms in the spring, like the shade of thin membranes of clouds in the eastern sky during sunset, like, well, like cotton candy with not enough of pink coloring…his senseless metaphor, they could never fit her eternal beauty…

Then there was the long dark mane of her hair. Straight, dark, shiny and soft, falling down the glorious curve of her back like the Niagara Falls. He couldn’t help it but stare at her the longest and drink it all in like a fresh cold splash of spring water, then his heart would be at ease.

Unaware to him, he had forgotten the purpose of him being there.

“Young mister Kim?” A voice called out, immediately interrupting his timeless trance. Myung Soo turned around to see the shop keeper holding out a bag with his order stacked up inside and a massive smile. He released a distinct sigh. Did he have to be so soon? Nine orders does take long enough!

Cursing the hateful causes of time, he took the bag in hand and wordlessly paid for the order. He was so dazed, so, so dazed that he didn’t even notice that he had paid more than he usually did, and slowly walked away.

And every step he kept were exceptionally slow.

Then he took one last time to dream her once more.

As he traced her features, as he traced her smile, as he traced her as her whole, as his dream, eccentrically enough, one thing in particular was carved into his mind as a sheer certainty, as a fact that would never shatter, waver or fall. Kim Myung Soo knew it for sure, for he was Kim Myung Soo, Kim Myung Soo the master of reverie…

With one last glance, he allowed a slow smile creep across his lips, it easily reached his eyes, forming crescent moons, and he turned away.

She was his dream, the girl who glimmered in his eyes like a sculpture made with perpetual care, and he now, for a certainty, knew that he, Kim Myung Soo himself, would tonight, be the dream of hers…

…for he was Kim Myung Soo, the boy who painted dreams.