Chapter 1

Clash of the Heirs

 

"Suhwa unni, wake up! It's time to get up for school.." Soojung shook her older sister.

Suhwa batted her hands away and mumbled, "Five... more... minutes,"

"You said that five minutes ago, Suhwa." Soojung snapped her fingers, sassing her.

"Ugh, fine, have it your way, Soojungie." Suhwa groggily rose from her bed and trudged to the bathroom.

"Yay~! I'll be downstairs with Omma and Appa!"

 

The younger of the two sprinted down the spiraling staircase towards the expansive kitchen.

--

 

"Let's go!" Soojung tried dragging Suhwa out the door.

 

"Aish, but my bagel-"

"Let's go! Our chauffeur is waiting!"

Suhwa's bagel sat all alone on the counter.


“Yah! Unni, hurry!” Soojung yelled.

"I'm coming, I'm coming. Don't rush me, child!" She bonked her sister's head.

"Mmph, don't be so slow next time."  

“I’m not slow, I’m just not fast!”

“That’s slow, you little pabo.” Soojung rolled her eyes and continued to usher Suhwa into the car. “Get in, bish.”

At this time in the morning Suhwa is completely dead, so she just nodded and followed along.  

--

 

"Aw, what a cute little kid. Too bad you're tall, so I can't step on you." Park Hyungsik shuddered at the words of the other boy.

 

The antagonist?

Kim Woobin.


Hyungsik was thrown to the locker to his left and the door cut his left cheek. Woobin had already punched his face multiple times, leaving dark purple bruises behind. Hyungsik slid down to the ground in pain but quickly scrambled away before Woobin could kick him again.

"Alright then, see you later!" Woobin waved happily.


Hyungsik hadn't fought back at all.

 

He kept running and running to nowhere in particular. Just away from Woobin.

Hyungsik's vision became increasingly blurry as he continued to find an escape; Woobin was casually walking a few paces behind, tossing a quarter up and down in his hand. As he looked back to see how far away he had run, Hyungsik suddenly collided with someone else.

 

"Yah, watch where you're going." the voice said.

It was a girl's voice.

Hyungsik couldn't really talk, so he looked up to see the face of a... slightly familiar face. He didn't know where he had seen her, though.

 

Upon seeing the battered face of the boy, the girl, Suhwa, screamed.

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU?!" she jumped back in surprise.

Hyungsik just collapsed into her arms, leaving Suhwa a confused mess.

"Uh.. what..?" she stared at the body. "Soojung! Jung Soojung! Come quickly! There is a freaking boy who collapsed into my arms! Get him off of me!" She yelled for her twin who was nearby.

Soojung was quietly getting a textbook that she had forgotten in her locker when she heard her sister's call. "Oh, ne! Coming,"


The two girls carried Hyungsik- who they still had no idea the name of- towards the infirmary.

"He's heavy!" Suhwa complained.

"Yeah.. well, we're here. I have to get back to class now! Chanyeol and I are partners so I can't keep him waiting.” Soojung said.

"Ok, I'll stay with him then."

"Mmhm, I'll tell Kim Seonsaengnim that you're here."

And with that, Soojung took her leave. Suhwa watched as her little sister left, then she looked over at the sleeping boy on the clinic bed.

 

"Hm, you're tall and stuff. How'd you get so beat up..?" she said quietly.

 


Suhwa remained next to the "mystery guy" for about another hour. Halfway through, she pulled out her phone and started to play Candy Crush. That was when she heard a grumble of pain come from the bedpan.

"...What? Where am I?" he asked.

"Nurse. You passed out and fell into my arms." Suhwa said plainly, not looking up from the screen.

"Oh," he replied, slightly blushing.

 

Suhwa looked up to see the tint of color on the boy's face.

 

"...You do realize that I'm only here to get out of class, right?" she raised a questioning eyebrow.

"What's your name?" he ignored her remark.  

"Jung Suhwa. And you?"

"Park Hyungsik."

--

 

Soojung hastily walked back to class, carrying her textbook. She pushed her large brown glasses up on her face. "Very studious looking," she thought, laughing internally.

Pulling the door open, Soojung bowed to the teacher once before telling her that she had been at the clinic, and that Suhwa was staying behind there.

"Soojungie~!" a deep voice called out.

"Chanyeollie~!" she replied back.

She sat down in her seat that was next to her boyfriend.

Even after the bell rings signifying that class has begun, 90% of the time Chanyeol and Soojung never pay attention and pass notes to each other instead. Both still retain an average over 98 though, and no one knows how.

 


-Soojung's POV-

"Yeobo~" I heard Chanyeol's voice whisper. I turned to him and he handed me a little piece of paper.

Where's Suhwa?


Wrinkling my eyebrows, I quickly wrote back.

Yah, why do you want to know?

He chuckled as he read it and scribbled something down.                    

Because I need to know that my sister-in-law is safe ;)

 

 

Oh, that little shet always knows what to say. Add that to my 'Reasons to Love Chanyeol' list.

She's in the clinic with some beaten up guy. Tall. Black hair that whooshes up. Pretty cute.

 

Grinning, I watched Chanyeol's expression change.

What. Bish please, no one is cuter than me.

 

I was about to write back when Kim Seongsaengnim cleared .

"Jung Soojung. Park Chanyeol. Is there something you would like to share with the class?" This was about the third time we got caught, but she never said anything about it before.. Maybe she's PMSing.

"Out." She pointed to the door with an angry expression on her face.

 

Yep.

Definitely PMSing.

 

 

Chanyeol looked at me and the both of us were trying not to laugh out loud.

"You think this is funny? Stay outside for the entire period. Arms up." We groaned in unison as we walked out with our arms up in shame.


"Well thanks, Oppa. You got us in trouble." I pouted, trying to act cute.

"You're welcome. At least we're alone." he replied with a wink.

"Shut up!" I tried to sound mad, but eventually burst out in laughter.

The two of us stood out there, arms aching. I massaged one arm with the other. My arms feel like they're on fire.

 

Seeing this, Chanyeol, being on my right side, held my right hand up for me.

"Since when were you such a cheesy boyfriend?" I joked.

"Since forever."

"Aha, funny." I said with sarcasm, reaching up to tap his head with my free hand.

 

He swooped down and planted a kiss on my cheek. I basically died internally.

 

"Well, looks like it really isn't a bad thing that we're out here for the rest of class." I happily bounced on my heels.

--


-Normal POV-

"So, why did you get all beat up? Girlfriend was PMSing or something? Fell down a flight of stairs?" Suhwa asked.

"No, and no." Hyungsik replied.

"Then why?"

 

The boy remained silent.

 

"Yah, I asked you a question-"

"It was Kim Woobin. He did this." he blurted out.

"...Who's that?" Suhwa was puzzled.

"How old are you, Suhwa?"

"Seventeen,"

"Then you must not know him. He's a senior, like me."

"Ah..." Suhwa trailed off.

 

There was an awkward silence that filled the room for a few moments. Neither Hyungsik nor Suhwa knew what to say next.

 

Suhwa finally broke the ice. "Are you ok though..? You seem a bit.. you know, sad and angry."

"Yeah, I'm ok. Just.. thinking. You know, you should go back to class now. You're missing information for exams and such."

Suhwa thought for a moment before replying. "...Nah, I'll just get Soojung to give me her notes."

"Who's Soojung?"

"My baby twin sister."  

"Oh, I see.. I have one hyung, Park Hyungjoon." Hyungsik smiled as he mentioned his brother who was probably out arresting a criminal and being the hero...

While he sat here in this school that he didn't even want to be in, passing on the family name. Hyungsik didn't ask to be an "heir", he just wanted to attend any regular school that any regular individual would go to.

Not some snobby little private school like Yeongwon High was.

 

Suhwa noticed Hyungsik's sudden change in attitude, so she decided to speak up.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

"Nothing! It's just.. you know, I don't like being here at Yeongwon. The students here are a bit too snobby for me." he replied.

 

Suhwa felt just a little bit offended because it was her parents, who she loved very dearly, that founded this very school.

So instead she chose to keep shut and merely nodded her head.


"Well, not everyone is terribly bad..." Suhwa trailed off.

"Yeah, I know. You're not bad yourself." he smiled.

"Oh, I know." She flipped her hair, her demeanor changing once again to that of the proud Jung Suhwa.


Suhwa didn't return to class for the rest of the day. It was only when Soojung and Chanyeol walked inside to pick her up that she got up to leave.

Hyungsik was actually sad when she had to leave; it left him all alone to sit in the infirmary until his parents came to retrieve him. But Suhwa had left a note.

 


It read:

Yah, don't get beat up anymore, arasso? Come get me if that Kim Woo-Dork ever does that ever again.


He smiled after reading it, a real smile- something he hasn't had the chance to do for a while now.