Epilogue: Part 7

Take it to the Next Level

Epilogue: Part 7

 (Flashback)

Ying lay flat on her stomach, hidden by the tall weeds that grew everywhere in this abandoned section of the compound.  Ahead of her, a floor down, the guy she had been ordered to tail was playing with his gun.  Guns weren’t really her thing, but she admitted that U-Kwon looked good with one in his hands. 

She, herself, preferred to use her hands.  Weapons were great, but as soon as a fighter became reliant on one, the fighter was dead.  It was too easy to lose or break a weapon in a fight.  Ying’s body was her own weapon.  And she was itching to be able to use it.  She could be patient when she needed to be, but right now her body was humming.  She could ease something uneasy in the air. 

A noise below her had her tensing, as U-Kwon did, but it turned out to only be one of his crewmates.  Another one, the one that Lan had distracted earlier, showed up soon after.  Ying smiled when the men in suits showed up.  This was what she was waiting for.  But the gun worried her.  She held her place, and waited to see what the boys would do. 

“Why don’t you guys get out of here and leave these thugs to me?” U-Kwon said, surprising Ying.  His friends leaving would leave U-Kwon at a disadvantage.  It also meant Ying had to make a decision.  Stay and help him, or follow the cases?

Ying could only assume that U-Kwon knew what he was doing, but she couldn’t leave him alone with the guys.  So, she stayed where she was as Kyung and Jaehyo disappeared and waited to see what U-Kwon would do. 

“So, what do we do now?” U-Kwon asked the men in suits, his gun still leveled at the guy leveling a gun at him.  “I guess we’re in a bit of a stalemate.  I don’t even have what you guys want.  Why don’t you guys just give it up before I blow your brains out?”

As soon as the guy with the gun opened his mouth to speak, U-Kwon pulled the trigger.  Ying had a moment to admire the strategic move before it sank in that his gun hadn’t fired.  She jerked, stunned when the other guy pulled his trigger too.  U-Kwon was dead and there was nothing she could do about it. 

But no one moved.  No one went down.  The suit without a gun was the first to move.  He threw a punch that caught U-Kwon off guard.  Ying sat stunned before realization came that U-Kwon hadn’t been shot, the other guy’s gun had been empty as well.  What was up with guns, today, she thought to herself.  It was just more reason for her to never use one. 

Realizing the suits had decided it was a better idea to gang up on U-Kwon, Ying jumped down from her hiding place and quickly laid the suits out fast.  She had surprise on her side so it was relatively easy. 

“You okay?” She turned to ask U-Kwon. 

“Who the hell are you?” He asked back.  Ying looked him over.  He had blood on his lip and his cheek and a hand pressed to his side but he was steady on his feet. 

Taking his response as a yes, Ying turned and ran back into the building.  She turned a corner and doubled back to watch U-Kwon, not really trusting that he would be able to get out of there okay.

When she reached him again, he still stood in the same place.  He took a step towards where she had disappeared, but then shook his head.  Limping, he turned and headed off in the direction his friends had taken.  Ying followed him until he was safely out of the building before she called Mai. 

 

“And what were you busy with while your girls were running around trying to switch out cases and take my diamonds?”  Zico asked.  They stood together and leaned against the railing at the front of the boat.  They could see land now, in the distance. 

“The job Boss had for me to complete could only be executed right before we were to disappear,” she explained.  “I spread information that I’ve been collecting for years.  It will lead directly to PD Tran’s downfall.  In a few years, when the gang war ends and someone comes out on top, it will probably be okay for all of us to return to Vietnam.”

“There is no way in hell I am ever returning to Vietnam,” He said in all honestly.  He looked at her.  “There’s nothing left for me there anymore.”

Mai returned his look.  “So, I told you about our job.  Now it’s your turn to spill.  Why the diamonds?”

“I’m going to reunite The Block,” Zico told her.  “These diamonds are the price for information that will help me take over the other sections.  Though honestly, no matter what info I get, it’s going to be difficult for just the seven of us to pull it off.”  He turned to look at her.  “Have you thought about what you and the girls are going to do once you get to Korea?”

“First off, I’ll need to report to Boss,” Mai answered.  “Then I suppose I’ll see if he has anything else for me to do.  The girls are free once we get to Korea.  They have no responsibility to me.  But I suppose, if they need work or something, they can join me in whatever adventure I take on next.”

“Join Block B,” Zico said before he chickened out.  “Join me, help me take over all of Seoul.  Help me restore what Kang Minho separated.  We’ll make our own adventures.”

“Tempting.”

“I promise there will be money, blood, and many more diamonds in your future.”

Mai couldn’t hold back a smile.  “How could a girl turn down a promise like that?  Take over all of Seoul huh?  You really think you can step into Kang Minho’s shoes?”

“No way,” Zico told her.  “I follow no one.  What I create will be my own, and it will be better than what was there before.  What do you say?  Will you join me?”

Mai smiled.  “What is it you always say when you’re about to do something insanely crazy but there’s nothing else in the world you’d rather be doing?”

Zico smiled back.  “Nillili Mambo.

“Awww, that’s right.  Well that’s my answer.  Nillili Mambo.