Epilogue: Part 1

Take it to the Next Level

The Ladies of Block B
Epilogue: Part 1

Mai sat with her legs hanging off the side of the boat and her cheek resting on her arms folded over the lower rung of the railing.  The young woman had once imagined that it was peaceful out in the middle of the ocean.  With no one and nothing but water to be seen at all horizons, Mai had thought it would be peaceful and relaxing.  It turned out she was completely wrong.

But it could just be her particular company.  

There were fourteen of them on a boat that she’d been told was crowded with only seven young men.  The living conditions were terrible, but at least they hadn’t killed each other yet.  Lan and Tien giggled and chatted at the back of the boat sun bathing while wearing nothing but bra and .  Mai had no idea what Kyung and Youngil were doing but they were making a racket somewhere at the front of the boat. 

Ying, probably the only quiet member of the group was on the top of the superstructure.  It was the tallest place she could be on the small boat.  A constant chatted emanated from below decks. She could make out Mimi’s voice, who was probably down there helping Jaehyo cook.  It had taken some persuading, but after seeing what Mimi could do with a kitchen knife, Jaehyo had allowed her into the space that was the boat’s kitchen to help him prepare meals.  Mai didn’t quite understand, but there always seemed to be more cooking to do. 

And she knew Hana was down there with Taeil.  The two of them had spent most of their time at sea together discussing how to get all the girls into Korea.  Mai ached to be down there discussing it with them, but it wasn’t her area of expertise.  She knew she needed to rely on them to do their job, just as she had done hers.  It was easier said than done.

This was the first serious job Mai had pulled with a team.  She had spent most of her life on her own.  Even when she had first become associated with PD Tran, she had only had herself to truly relay on.  That wasn’t the case now, but it would her some time yet to become accustomed to it. 

Mai sighed and sat up straight to stretch her arms above her head as laughter broke out from below deck.  With all the noise on the boat even the calming sound of the waves lapping against the side of the boat was going to start getting on her nerves soon.

“You didn’t want to join them?”

Mai looked up as Zico came to lean back against the railing beside her.  She really wanted to tell him he looked ridiculous in the floral patterned trench coat, but the truth was Zico made the coat look good; somehow.  She had always envied his ability to look just right no matter what he was wearing or what situation he was in.  He nodded toward the Lan and Tien “sun bathing.” 

 

Mai let a smile curve her lips.  “You know, in my rush to leave, I forget to pack my sun bathing lingerie,” she said seriously. 

“Too bad.  Mostly women are definitely a sight better than all these water.” But he looked at Mai while he said it. 

Mai just stared out at said water.

“You know, I never got an explanation about how you got a hold of my diamonds.”

“Really?” Mai looked up at him with wide eyes.  “Does that bother you Zico?  Does it bother you that you don’t know how a bunch of girls bested you and your men?”

Zico’s jaw clenched in the iest way as he fought his irritation.  “Yes it bothers me,” he admitted.  “So, I think you should just fess up now.  It would save me the trouble of trying to pull it out of you.  We’re stuck on this boat together for at least another week.  Let’s try to remain civil.”

Mai laughed.  But she knew their current living situation was getting on his nerves just as much as it was getting on hers.  She decided to take pity on him.  “Well, since we have at least a week left, I suppose I’ll give you the long version of it then.”

Zico sat down beside her, his back to the ocean. 

“The first phase of our plan was to get Mimi into your scheme.  Because you knew her from your last visit to Vietnam we knew she would be the one you would most be able to trust.  If she was able to help you get a hold of the diamonds in the first place, she may be able to find out more of your plan to pass along to me.  It was major bonus points for us that you approached her first.”