Still the one

The Deer's Prayer

 

I’ll apologize in advance… I should just stop there.

 

Firstly I never intend to for this story to progress. But someone bullied me on writing this. So please before you read, bear in mind that there wasn’t supposed to be a continuation. Leave your expectation buried okay.

Also because I’m quite happy with the views I got, including the supportive comments.

 


 

 

 

 

Luhan sometimes wonders if he was a terrible child that the heavens never even spare him a glance. He was 3 years old when he was abandoned. Being so young he doesn’t really remember a lot of things. It was Fr. Shim who brought him home. He was walking down the city when a Chinese woman begs her to take her child. The priest could barely understand her but the mother ran away leaving her son behind.

It’s been so many years and yet no one wanted to adopt him. But he never loosed faith. It wasn’t like Luhan is a bad child. In fact he’s a bright, responsible and beautiful boy. But even the most beautiful flowers can’t be admired unless they were outside where people could see its shining glory. The orphanage is seated at the foot of the mountain because that was the only land given to them.  If you needed to go to the nearest town you need to ride the bicycle for an hour. It’s seldom to have visitors and guest. Some of the visitors/potential parents who visited them give him comments like:

“He’s so cute but he’s Chinese”

 “I want younger one not a younger looking one”

“He looked like a girl. Are you sure that one’s a boy?”

Sometimes he can’t avoid questioning himself if his physical youthful innocent is a curse or a gift.

They were growing up so fast and Fr. Shim was a little worried for them. Usually people who choose to adopt prefer infant or ages 1-5 and true enough most of the time it was the younger ones that was taken. Luhan and the others were way past that year.

Months past after the match a couple from town visited them. They are not poor nor rich just right to raise a family of six or seven. They have six daughters and after waiting for so long they finally decided that God might never gifted them a son. So they conclude that an easier way to obtain a son is by adoption. When the father saw Kyungsoo he remembered the boy from the market who has an excellent eye for fresh goods. He told her wife that he would like Kyungsoo as a son. Kyungsoo is so happy that he was chosen by a family that live in a town nearby.

Several months after Kyungsoo’s adoption, a foreign couple visited them. The women who might be in her early 40’s have set her eyes for Tao and she is determine to take him with them. She refused to leave Tao in the orphanage ever since she arrived. According to the workers she already has two other children. She suffered a miscarriage twice and she insisted that Tao has the same piercing gaze and would be the same age if her 3rd child didn’t die. After a few days it was announced that Tao will leave the country to head to the US where they originally reside. The children shed fountain of tears, even Kyungsoo was there to bid their friend the final goodbye.

Shortly after Tao’s departure another couple showed up. A middle class childless couple from Seoul. Even the younger ones got excited from the thought of living in the city so they put their best foot forward to impress the couple. In the end the couple decided to adopt Suho.

Life continues for Baekhyun, Minseok and Luhan at the orphanage. Minseok and Baekhyun are good kids it’s just that they’re always too meek in front of visitors. They always shy away from people the main reason why they were left behind. But it’s okay because the orphanage is their home. Tao and Suho promised to send mails but nothing arrives. They always saw Kyungsoo every time they were in town to purchase goods or sell. The Do’s owns a small grocery in town. They attend the same school and hang out every time they were free. Every Saturday the town held a market day. Luhan, Minseok, Baekhyun and the twins Kibum and Jinki sell herbal medicine, wild plants, tea leaves, dried fruits and local crops they raise themselves. It gives the orphanage additional income for their tight budget. Because they are naturally gifted with looks they sell a lot, claiming they eat and used it themselves.

It was summer a year after they graduate high school when an unannounced visitor came.

“Suho hyung?”  It was Minseok who identified the person knocking the door.

“Hey!” Suho instantly smile and walk towards Minseok

“SUHO hyung!!!” Baekhyun screamed echo through the whole hallway.

“How have you been?” Suho said as he give them a each a bear hug.

“You look good” Baekhuyn said as he scans his Suho hyung from head to toe.

“haha. Really. And you barely even grow.” Suho mocks.

“After all those years that’s what you’re going to tell me? Why, have you measured yourself?” Baekhyun cross his arms.

“Alright. I miss you guys!” Suho said honestly

“We miss you too” Luhan said placing the dried fruits on the table and making his way to hug Suho.

“What brings you here? After all those years, you promised-” Luhan has so many questions

“I know I have a lot of explaining to do” Suho said raising both his hands in surrender.

Suho then told them what happen after he left. It turns out his adoptive parents were very stern and strict. He only has house, school, and cram school to go. Going alone is strongly prohibited. Not until he enter the university. Being 20 gave him a lot of freedom. One he has his own car, two his parents gave him a condo unit near the university and three his favorite- he can practically do whatever he pleases. He’s currently attending Korea University major in Marketing. He claimed that he was planning to go back to the orphanage for the ages now. But due to his busy college life he never has a chance. There’s actually a more important reason why he show there suddenly.

“So you were saying you’re here so that we could get an application to the same university you are currently attending?” Minseok

“Exactly. Living in the city is quite lonely and I know you guys wanted to experience a different atmosphere. I remember when we are younger we used to dream living a life away from here.” Suho said remininsing their childhood dream

“That’s really nice of you but honestly even if we sell the whole orphanage including the mountain I don’t think it will be enough” Baekhyun

“You’re exaggerating. It’s not like we sell it and besides who would want to buy this place?” Minseok

“Guys do you think I come here without a plan? Of course not! I’ve been saving up for this for a very long time.” Suho said smiling thoughtfully. Always the big hyung he is.

“Here’s the plan. Fill this applications go to Seoul take the examination passed it along with the interview and I’ll go manage the rest. The important part is you guys apply. I’ll handles the finances”

“That’s very generous of you but don’t you think that’s too much of a burden. Being a university student especially in the big city, it requires a lot of resources. How about the food, shelter tuition allowance…”

“Here fill this one. I need it today. It’s a scholarship program. I know someone there. If they choose you then we only have to worry about other stuff. You can work part time, the city offers array of jobs day and night which ever fits your schedule. Plus I’ll be there for all of you; I’ll help in all way possible.”

“Let’s fill this form in Kyungsoo’s house!” Luhan suggest and they head over Kyungsoo’s.

Even if they wanted to attend college in the nearby province they can’t because of expenses and worries they have. Fr. Shim encourage them to take a degree or vocational courses but they refused thinking it’ll be too much to support all three of them.

They first go to Kyungsoo’s house and explained about the scholarship and drills about living in the city. Truthfully Kyunsoo wants to go as well but he’s afraid what his adoptive parents would say about it. But thanks to Suho’s persuasion they agreed on it in the end with a promise that he would look after them. They all went back to the orphanage and talk with Fr. Shim. Unlike Mr. and Mrs. Do Fr. Shim was more than happy to agree. He always wanted the children to go somewhere and find a good place to stay after all he can’t be selfish and keep them there. The world is big for such kind and talented individuals and they have to move on with their lives in time anyway. The day is almost ending, Suho needs to go back to catch the last train going back to Seoul.

“Thank you” Luhan said when they stop at the entrance of the station.

“Really really thank you” Minseok said again with bright smile

“It means a lot to us” Baekhyun said eyes shiny now because what’s happening to them is feel surreal.

“Anything for my brothers.” Suho smile but at the back of his head he’s still regretting why he didn’t come back sooner. They embrace for a whole 5 seconds heart beating in joy and thankfulness.

That night the three of them decided to sleep in one room. It felt like a dream too good to be true and if it’s just a dream at least when they wake up they still have each other.

 

* * *

 

After all the necessary arrangements, Junmyeon fetch them in the orphanage so that they can all go together. They promised to return for their winter vacation. Some tears were spilled and encouragement all for the best.

Seoul change from what they remember the last time they were there. It looked more crowded and busier. Luhan got dizzy staring at the people; he’s not used of overcrowded places.

They arrive in an old high rise building. Junmyeon found it for them. It’s conveniently just a block away from Junmyeon’s apartment and also near their school and the rent isn’t much. When they open the door it revealed a small living room with a mustard couch from its former occupants. It has one bedroom that the 4 of them has to share, one small bathroom and a small kitchen with a dining area near it. The flowery wall paper was torn and there’s still lacking in some appliance and furniture. Junmyeon said he’ll bring the television and buy them a new stove and oven. The place is small but it’s alright they were there to study anyway. They’ll sure spend most of their times outside.

At first Junmyeon wanted to pay for their rent but they’re adamant about the idea because he had done so much for them already and they don’t want to depend too much on him.

The first few days were spent in paper completion, interview and enrollment. The remaining days before the official start of classes they have a small tour around the city.

They were discussing about part time jobs they were interested in applying. Junmyeon doesn’t really do any part time job as his parents want him to concentrate on his studies.

They went passed Namsan tower. And Luhan’s mind flashes back to that time when he came for in Seoul for the very first time. He smiles at the thought. ‘Did you wait long? Now I’m back?’

 

* * *

 

Luhan is 20 years old along with Minseok while Baekhyun is 19.

For the first time Luhan is thankful for his youthful appearance. No mortal can tell they’re already in their twenties.

Luhan and Baekhyun take up Literature. Minseok applied in programming. Kyungsoo is an aspiring architect.

First day of school was exciting. He and Baekhyun share most of their classes. They met a lot of students. It was totally new thing for both of them. They often argue which building to go for their next class. Thankfully their professors didn’t mind if the students were and they understand that they were only freshmen. Days past and it was awesome for Luhan. Finally he’s doing something for himself.

It was Wednesday when Luhan and Baekhyun were on their usual banter. They were looking for their next room on another building they never been before. Their professors asked them to come to this building because their room’s lights were faulty and needed to be repair.

“I think were lost” Luhan said. They were going around for a good 10 minutes and still can’t find room 311.

“Luhan, were not lost. This is still school. Relax I got you” They were standing on one of the room inspecting the number written on the door.

“That’s why I’m nervous”. Luhan wanted to throw his books on Baekhyun’s head. They were already late.

Group of students were getting out of the room and Luhan grab Baekhyun by the arm to pull him out of their way. After he pull Baekhyun he decided that he’ll just find it on his own but before he can take a step he found himself unable to move.

Droopy eyes, straight nose, white skin, sharp jaw…

It’s him.

Suddenly it feels like there’s only the two of them. The noise was by unidentified vacuum and only the two of them were left standing meters away and yet close enough to reach. Unconsciously Luhan gulp and he hold his books tighter in his chest he can feel his heart vibrating on his books. What should he do? Will he remember him after all those years? The boy was busy reading his note and didn’t notice Luhan who was standing in front of him. He stops at the door and folded the paper.

“Sehun, would you help me with this?” this breaks his trance as a very tall male called him and put an arm around his neck as they walked towards the now empty room. Probably it’s their next class. Sehun is his name. His name fit him so well. He had grown so much taller and he’s so good looking… Sehun. Sehun youre here. And Luhan bite his lips to prevent himself from grinning like a madman.

“Earth to fairy Luhan?” Baekhyun said to a still dazed deer.

“Baekhyun, what’s the department of this building?”

“Mainly Engineering. Why?” Engineer. Why do I have to bad in numbers?

“Nothing”. It’s okay at least we’re on the same school. Luhan’s heart swells on the thought of seeing him every day even if it means going to a different building.

That night he prayed again thanking the good heaven for giving him this chance of a lifetime.

 

* * *

 

A whole month passed by in a blur. It was a very busy month trying to settle in their new environment.  They were on the Engineering building again waiting for their next class. To Luhan’s delight it becomes their room from then on as their original room was deemed unfit to use because of electrical problems. He sees Sehun once in a while and each time his heart skips a beat. He still doesn’t have enough courage to approach Sehun. What will he say to him? Or a better question will he be able to face and speak a word in front of Sehun? He’s simply contended staring from a far, admiring the boy from his dream.

He was waiting along with his classmates for their room to be empty. They were on the third floor of the engineering building and the wind is a little strong today blowing in their faces. Luhan is a little annoy because he’d been arranging their resume and sorting some files he need to keep and the wind today is giving him a hard time.

Abruptly everyone becomes silent. Luhan wonders why so he follows their trail of sight. A woman is descending the stairs follow by her friends.  She carries a strong aura around her. What Luhan is seeing feel so unreal it looks like everything is in slow motion like those dramas Ms. Moon watch. She’s probably 15 meters away and yet Luhan can clearly see how her eyelashes fanned against her pinkish skin. Her long shiny brown hair was blown beautifully by the wind. ‘How can somebody stay so gracefully elegant while being blown by the wind?’

“Beautiful isn’t she?” Dongho one of his sophomore’s classmates said to group of onlookers. But it wasn’t really a question. All of his boy classmates were now ogling the said beauty.

“Who is she?” asked Hyunseung a fellow freshmen. The beauty looked snobbish, all chin up and not even looking at anyone.

“Her name is Jung Soojung. Her grandfather is one of the school board directors.” Jung Soojung stops on track and look around. Looks like she’s looking for someone.

“But there are only 2.” Boys and even girls passing by spare her a glance while walking that’s how strong her gravity is. Luhan concluded.

“Yup” the boys from higher levels were now talking.

“What a catch, she’s beautiful rich and I presume she’s smart. She’s taking up engineering right?”

“Yup Industrial engineering, freshmen but already popular.”

“Too bad she’s off limits” as Dongho speaks Soojung break into a wide smile and open her arms walking past them. Luhan go back to his papers arranging them to be placed on envelops.

“Hey! Let’s grab lunch together.” Soojung’s voice was dripping with honey.

“You can go now.” She told her friends.

“She got a boyfriend?” Hyunseung said surprised by the revelation.

“Yup!” It was one of her girl classmates, Seri. And Luhan stop what he’s doing because now it’s the girls turn to leer over the couple or more on Sehun’s actually.

 “Oh Sehun, Mechanical Engineer another freshmen.” With that being said Luhan look to apparent love birds. Ouch. His mind screams NO! That can’t be. How can he not think about the possibility of Sehun being taken? Of course he’s will be with someone. With that face and appeal?

“They’ve been practically dating since kindergarten” Double Ouch… that’s probably even before they met.

“Were did you get those information? Are you sasaeng or something?”

“Told yah, they’re popular.” And as that being said  a strong wind came knocking some of the pots.

“Luhan your papers are flying!”

Luhan’s hear his heart shatter into a million pieces. ‘How am I supposed to pick it up?’

 

 

 

 


 

I just wanna update b’coz it’s the birthday of my favorite maknae.  #HappySehunDay

You’ve grown up to be a striking gentleman.