Because you're special

The Deer's Prayer

If there’s anything Luhan is most certain about it’s his extreme fondness to soccer.

It’s still too early. Probably 2:00 a.m when Fr. Shin knocked on the boys shared bedroom. The boys wake up one by one; they’re still sleepy due to the time but excited to begin a new day. It’s the day the children from the orphanage have been waiting for almost 3 months now so despite the time they hurriedly prepare for the day. Fr. Shim has a hard time setting this event for the children in the orphanage so the children are determine to play well and make Fr. Shim proud. With sheer determination and a high fighting spirit Junmyeon, Minseok, Luhan, Baekhyun, Kyungsoo and Tao were all ready to leave for the big city.

It’s the very first time they’ll be going outside the province not that they’ve been away in 1 mile radius or anything. The children were so excited to the point that they have sleepless nights waiting for this day- the day they can finally showcase their skill in soccer in the big city itself. They heard a lot of things about it from the town’s people and they can’t wait to see it themselves.  They travelled 2 hour on the train and another hour to the city to reach their destination.

The city is big. The kids wish they could stay a little longer and go sightseeing. It’s not often that people from the village go to the city. The province never offers this kind of ambiance. The people look posh and beautiful with painted faces. Noisy vehicles in different colors, sizes and forms. But what caught Luhan’s attention are the buildings. Sky scrapper so tall one can hardly tell where it ends. It extends high and mighty further than the clouds up above the little deer’s vision.  Luhan can’t help to wonder if he could see God if he climbed on top it. Growing up in the orphanage his young mind has a lot of questions about his life, Fr. Shim taught them the way to speaking to God is through prayers. But the little deer has been praying all his life but not even one was answered. If only he could climb up there maybe he can personally ask his lingering questions. He keeps looking at the countless buildings and silently hopes that Fr. Shim will allow them to visit at least one. After travelling which comprise largely of walking and more walking they reached the venue.

The field was so huge. It was beyond their expectations. The place is four times the size they used to practice in.  Fr. Shim asked the kids to warm up since they arrive early. But their competitor didn’t arrive until 10 o’clock which is an hour later to their agreed time. Fr. Shim told the children to line up to meet the opposing team. One by one children wearing red jersey appear. Luhan look into his own worn out t- shirt and pull up his old shorts. To be completely honest they select their best garment today but they still miles away from looking decent next to the opposing team. His teammates were gawking at the other children. They were wearing uniforms complete with logo of a dragon, silly names and jersey numbers. They even have knee caps on top of their branded soccer shoes.

The opposing team or Red Dragons according to the printed text in their uniform look at them with such disdain from head to foot. But they keep their smile. Being hostile was not taught to them.

“They looked like a bunch of wuss” said the one with tan skinned he wasn’t even trying to be discreet.

“They’re poor what do you expect” utter the very tall one with black headband looking at them grossed out

“I won’t sweat it if I were you.” said the one with curly hair. It was directed to them.

Luhan was not listening clearly to what they were saying as he was busy looking at the one opposite him. He’s almost as tall as Luhan, dark brown hair, skinny and his skin is very fair the whitest Luhan had ever seen. He looked bored like he’d rather be anywhere but here. He has his eyes away from anything probably his mind is miles and miles away from where he is now. Unlike his teammates who reeks with too much confident and arrogance this one has such gentle aura that unexplainably draws Luhan.

 “Wait, I didn’t know they allowed girls to play” said the tanned skin boy looking at him. This cut his train of thoughts so he was forced to remove his eyes from the silent boy. The tanned skin boy then turn to a bulky man outside the field who was wearing the same red dragon printed jersey they were wearing.

“Coach is it okay to kick her even if she’s a girl?” Now that he’s facing his back his name read Kkamjong. Luhan wants to laugh. What kind of kids has such name? The coach then looks at Fr. Shim for an explanation.

“Actually he’s not a girl. I assure you that.” Said Fr. Shim calmly looking at Luhan’s direction.

“But she looks like one?”Kkamjong said like he was talking to someone his age.

“I can’t believe they couldn’t even afford a haircut.” said the one with dimples with slight accent.

“Stop it boys. Quit whining and just play” said the bulky man who is probably their coach said in finality.

“Whatever! Hey boy-girl I don’t care if you have a , I won’t go easy on you.” Kkamjong said and make a cutting gesture to his neck before running to his post.

The first half ends with 2-0 in favor of their team. It was obvious that their opponent underestimate their skills. They were even start playing dirty. The curly boy Do-bi and Kkamjong keep talking to them while in the middle of the game throwing insults left and right and curses in between. The very tall one BenBen keeps intimidating the others giving threatening glares here and there. The dimple boy XingXing the goalkeeper doing weird faces trying to provoke them. There’s also this boy Chen he keeps laughing and smiling creepily over his comrades’ antics as though this is his way of showing his support to them because he can’t run fast enough but he can laugh loud enough for the whole field to hear. Junmyeon has to remind them to keep cool and not to fall for their dirty tactics. All of them are aggressive and dominating except for the gentle boy Luhan knew as Odult. Not once he utter a word, he was just there playing and concentrating on the game with no trace of any emotion what so ever.

Fr. Shim packed their lunches this morning. It was like feast at least for the children. The styro contained sausage and a piece of chicken. And they were happy because of this it’s not every day they can eat food all for themselves.

They could smell the inviting aroma of food from the other side so they can’t help but to turn their heads towards the sole tent that was built for the other team’s lunch. The children of the other team are talking and laughing boisterously looking very pleased as they were being babied their nannies wiping sweat that was nowhere to be found.

Minseok look over Baekhyun shoulder where he can see the other kids were happily picking foods from the buffet that was prepared especially for them. Chen saw Minseok staring at them so he pick up his spoon and scoop a good amount of lasagna and smirked mockingly.

Minseok immediately look away. He wonder what it would taste like as he never seen such food in his life. The children then continue eating his lunch while inhaling the scent of the buffet.

The second half begins. This time their opponents were being physical in desperate attempt to score. If they play dirty on the first half this one is gruesome. Do-bi tackled Baekhyun when he wasn’t even doing anything just running. It’s very unfair, Baekhyun is small and skinny and Do-bi is a taller, plump and obnoxious. It might be wrong but something tells Luhan that seeing their friend roll helplessly on the ground it trigger something from the opposing team. The game continues until they score again courtesy of Tao right in front of Chen’s nose bringing 3-0.

“Look at them happy just because they scored.” Kkamjong strike again with his sharp toque. He then look at Chen shaking his head lightly.

“Pathetic” BenBen said then spit on the ground. Where did these kids learn those things?

Chen looks angry that one could almost see dark clouds around his head.

Tao has the ball and kicking it towards the goal when all of sudden Chen throws his body off Tao. Tao was taken by surprise and slipped but he managed to cling into Chen’s shirt taking him down with him.

“Do you know how much this cost? This more expensive than all of your lives combined!” Chen screams while clutching his now overstretch shirt. Tao didn’t say anything. He wasn’t listening because his shirt was ripped. Tao was crying because it was his favorite shirt. Tao only wear that shirt in special occasion and now it’s ruined. They don’t have a lot of clothes so they try to take care of everything they have. From then on Tao wasn’t his usual self throughout the game.

“Take away your filthy hands off me!” BenBen scream ringed to their ears

“But I was just trying to help” Junmyeon said. Luhan can tell he’s terrified.

“Who ask you to help me you dirty bastard!” BenBen was furious. He was taller and from the look of it he could hit Junmyeon anytime.

Luhan saw the chaos so he runs towards his friends. Kkamjong saw this and an idea pop in his head. If we can’t beat you in soccer it’s just right for all of you to suffer as well.

Kkamjong trip him resulting for his shoe to tear apart. He can’t believe it before he knew it he was on the ground looking at his shoe. His vision becomes blurry as tears were running out of his eyes. He can’t bring his self-up, gaze still fixed on his damaged shoes. His only pair of shoes.

He tried to gulp down the tears to stop but he can’t do it. It’s too much for his little heart.

Kkamjong is looking at him. Looking proud to what he did. He even smirked at the scene in front of him before he turn around and join his teammates.

Luhan has to wear a slipper to continue playing but none play like they used to. The game stopped trice before it came to an end.

The team was dis hearted because of the events but they did win 3-2. 

“I can’t believe those beggars beat us” Kkamjong commented loudly.

“They practically live because of our leftover” Do-bi added.

They were asked to change clothes so they went to the changing room. Luhan look so dejected that he rest his back against the cold tiles then fall miserably. He can’t help but think about his shoe. How is he going to play again? They might be given another pair but it will sure take some time. Tears continue to fall on his cheeks. He wiped away the tears that falls his cheeks but before he get up a pair of shoes appear right in front of his face.

He look up… and there he was the boy with a dark brown hair. He’s panting lightly and has sweat over his forehead. He’s not smiling and it’s hard to tell what he’s thinking about. It was a different feeling looking directly to those magnificent brown orbs that he almost forgot how to breathe.

“You can have this” he speaks not even breaking the eye contact. And his voice sends shivers down his spine. It’s better than what he imagined it’s gentle, calm and soothing. It was Luhan who breaks the eye contact and bit his lower lip. He was not sure if he’s hallucinating or this is just a product of his imagination because it looked too good to be true. The boy was standing next to him and talking to him.

“Please take it” the boy said when he got no response from Luhan

“Really?” he look at the pair of shoes. It looked brand new or maybe has been used once or twice but never the less you can still smell the rubber.

“I hope it fits” Luhan remained speechless. He reached out to take the pair of shoes.

“Sorry about my friends. It’s just that they are really competitive and they hate it whenever they lose” he looks back to the boy who was awkwardly standing beside him. His gaze falls over his feet; the boy was wearing nothing but a pair of white sock wherein the soles were already dirty perhaps because he runs on the dirty field.  Somehow he feels warm swirls around his chest.

He wanted to say it’s alright but he couldn’t bring himself to say an obvious lie. Luhan is holding the shoes staring at it in disbelief. Sehun walk away without another word.

Luhan is still in dazed after a few seconds he remembers that he forget to thank him. Luhan run hoping to catch the gentle boy and deliver his heartfelt thank you but to his disappointment he was nowhere to be found. Fr. Shim called him to say that they were leaving.

* * *

They walked around the city with Ms. Moon while Fr. Shim is busy discussing with other affluent families. The children were fascinated by the sparkling lights that decorated the city. So many products are sold, from food, toys, clothes, gadget, and animals anything that one can think of. They knew they can’t buy any but it’s okay because seeing pretty things is more than enough.

They bought ddokbokki and bibimbap that was cheaply sold on the street.

“That is the highest building here. People believe that if you reach the highest floor you are entitled to a wish.” Ms. Moon said when they sat down on the bench to eat and rest a bit.

“Really?”

“Can we go there?”

“No. we can’t go there. It’s too late already and we have a train to catch”

Luhan looks up and try to his hardest to see the peak of the building

I might not be able to up there now but someday I surely will but please let me say thank you to him.

* * *

The children did amazing but unfortunately because of the brawl they didn’t even started all of their efforts were put into vain. Some parents are even complaining that they send their children into hospital because of the emotional trauma from the ‘barbaric’ orphans.

“At least not because of e.coli” Fr. Shim joked. But he feels really bad because he knows the children prepared so hard and they were hoping for good news. But sadly no sponsorship was sealed.

* * *

That night the little deer pray long and sincere looking above the clear night sky.

Luhan look up and embracing his new shoes against his chest trying to form an image of the boy who gifted him not just a pair of shoes but of hope.

Please, please, please… this is the only one I would ask for… let me thank him personally…

Little does he know that Someone up there, higher than the tallest sky scrapper ever built, mightier than his prayers and far greater than the universe itself is smiling down upon him.