Discomfort

A Little Thing Called Love

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScybpBxXurrjvpwWShGno

“What’s wrong?”

“Hongbin…Hongbin is… leaving me!”

“What?”

“He’s going to leave!”

 

Two hours ago, that was the scenario.

Right now it’s more, like…

 

“Let me kill that guy.”

Hakyeon hyung gritted his teeth, trying to claw at Ken if it weren’t for Wonsik hyung’s presence to stop his boyfriend from murdering and skinning their friend.

“I thought he really was leaving, okay! I’m sorry!” Ken defended for the third time in his toddler voice as he hid behind me pouting. His cheeks were still flushed from crying for half an hour before I called in the rest of the group except for Taekwoon who happened to be there first because he was on his way to the indoor pool which was close by.

“You’re an idiot.” Taekwoon hyung muttered sounding really pissed off, his odd feminine voice dropping a few notes lower. I’m stuck deciphering whom he was talking to again because his death glare had always been equal to me and Ken for some odd reason that I’m not entirely sure is safe to know so I never get to ask. 

But anyway, if I was not rendered speechless the whole morning, I’ll be throwing my own temper tantrum because I’m honestly just as pissed as Hakyeon after finding out Ken’s news was all a misunderstanding and not worth the odd ache that nearly had me saying hello to my breakfast again.

Hongbin called Ken, wondering if he arrived safely back in Seoul but the latter was bawling that I had to talk to him instead. Hakyeon couldn’t talk to him either because he was busy cooing Ken while Wonsik fidgets awkwardly behind them like a typical father figure who doesn’t know what to do when his kid cries. Hongbin was frantic over the line, asking what was wrong with his cousin and I did my best to explain the situation although I was an equal mess deep down; anxious and upset that he never told me about it. I had to bit my lips as I mumble unwanted words out of my mouth.

Hongbin went quiet in the phone and I can hear his breathing stop for a few seconds before he muttered, “Jaehwan you pabo! I’m not going anywhere!” as if he knew he was in speaker phone the whole time. Ken looks at me, snatching his phone to talk to his cousin (with us overhearing their conversation of course), looking dumbfounded as ever as he sought for an explanation from his cousin.

It turns out, Ken had overheard Hongbin and his mom talking about a scholarship offer abroad that ended with Mrs. Lee’s joke about signing him up to transfer to a closer university because he misses Hongbin greatly.  Also, the reason why Hongbin didn’t come with his cousin that morning is because his mom insisted for him to stay for lunch.

 

 

Hongbin arrived later in the afternoon, missing most of his class but arriving just in time for his English class with me. He ends up sleeping half way through it though and I had to wake him up before Ms. Tiffany caught him drooling. We left together afterwards and headed outside the campus, like the usual. It was a little awkward for me so I ended up asking him about the offer he mentioned earlier. It’s not like he said it wasn’t true and it was also just another misunderstanding.

“Oh that?” he mumbles as he broke into a yawn afterwards. Let’s talk it over there.”

We ended up walking all the way to the back of the campus where the butterfly sanctuary and the green house were. It’s a place he usually hangs out to when he wants to be alone. Ken told me about the place but it was the first time Hongbin invited me to go there with him. It's not like people doesn't go there but no one really cared to go there anymore, especially when there's a nearby mall a few blocks from the university. 

“My father recently invited his friends over at our house to help promote Ken’s father’s new gallery. One of his close friends that was now working in Milan happens to venture through my mini gallery at home by accident and instead of asking him to leave, he sort of showed it off instead most probably to boast about me. You know that typical father syndrome? My son is better at this blah blah…” Hongbin chortles and I nodded.

“Well a week after that he got an email from that friend, suggesting that I can get a scholarship from a university there if I wanted to. He said there’s a bigger chance for me to get it if I sign up as soon as I can and thus the talk about it came up. ”

“I guess...Ken hyung didn't really misunderstood everything then.” I mumbled, putting my hands inside my pocket and hid the way I clench it into fists. I wasn’t entirely sure of why I was doing that but I just felt like I needed to. I hear him sigh and I did to.

 “Will you go?”

Hongbin looks at me surprised for a split second before he averted his gaze back to the sanctuary.  

“After graduation... if the spot is still open, then I’ll go. Definitely.” Hongbin nods to his own statement, his voice oddly smoother than a last time I heard it. Maybe it was because he was out for a week and we only used email to communicate then. Yeah, probably that.

“I see, do your best to graduate then…” I mutter reluctantly and Hongbin whacked my head in response to my surprise. Did I say something wrong?

“What does that supposed to mean?” He chortles, in contrast to the horrified look I was sure I’m expressing exquisitely. “You really don’t know how to talk without sounding rude, huh? I almost forgot about your tendencies.”  

I reflected for awhile and finally got it, ducking my head in embarrassment, “I’m sorry… I didn’t mean to sound like I was implying you aren’t graduating at all.” Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Hongbin clicks his tongue before flashing me with his dimpled smile that I failed to realize I missed seeing so much until now. It was stunning and I was so close to blurting out the word he doesn’t like to acquaint himself with so much—beautiful— just to get caught up to an even worse scenario: him seeing me with all my flustered glory. Way to go, Hyuk you awkward piece of sh—

“I still have two years left before I graduate and by then they probably found someone else far more experienced in that league so… don’t sound like I’m already leaving you.” Hongbin suddenly muttered, side glancing at me.  

I was completely taken aback by that, that my embarrassment and self-dissing thoughts were chased away almost too quickly and are replaced by an indescribable feeling but evident warmth in my chest. Hongbin’s face slipped into seriousness, handsomely and I was wondering if he couldn’t be more real. His eyes fixed itself towards the sunset and it lit his face with orange and yellow, dramatically coloring his flawless skin and I was left to wonder if I was meant to reply or just wait for him to expound what he meant and indulge more on his beautiful existence. I’m not used to being addressed alone anyway, especially by him. It’s not a good idea right now. My feelings aren’t settled and my heart is right under my sleeves, ready to pour out. I’ll assume it meant something more than it supposed to be. It’s not just me… it’s us…he meant all of us.

The wave of silence came and my heart was getting noisier and nosier. I couldn’t help it; there’s no helping me anymore. I just felt like I am standing on a quicksand. The more I move, the more I try to escape…the faster I sink.

“Can I borrow your shoulder for—Hyuk? Sanghyuk!” Hongbin calls for me when he leans in and I jumped off my seat with the briefest graze of his brunette locks on the crook of my neck. It felt like electricity just shot through my body.

“I-I’m sorry! I forgot I have to go somewhere! See you tomorrow, H-hongbin-ssi!”

Don’t run from it, honey. My mom’s word just echoes with the wind passing to my face as I practically run all the way to the bus stop. It was rude to walk—run—out like that with the lamest excuse a person can give in planet earth. Hongbin must’ve been offended by the gesture but I just wasn’t in control anymore. I felt like my heart just leaped out of my chest and I was chasing it down before it can reach out for a certain person… someone clearly out of my league.  

 

[Hyuk-ah, I don't know what happened awhile ago but if I did something wrong can we talk about it? Please? If something's bothering you we can also talk about it. See you tomorrow.]

 

I read his message later that night but like what he did before, I didn't reply.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8YUbBR4GpKpF1FAJYW2q

A/N: I said this is not a serious fic... uhm just wait it out @_@ I'm sorry I was very late in updating this. I hope you understand. My break just started and... I'm quite edgy with the grade results and... it's very different from when I posted this... so the bridge kinda got way too dramatic. I'm sorry if you got disappointed. This fic's first ending is done and I'm working on the second part so really it's just 2-3 chapters left... not sure for an epilogue but that's all for now.  

Thanks for 100 subscribers and 11 upvotes. I appreciate it with love and for those who shared it on tumblr. I saw it. Thank you so much. *bows 90 degrees*