Chapter 1

In A World Like This

A week had already passed, and yet Kyuhyun was unable to get his mind clear.


 

Whether he was at college, at home or even worse – in bed, when he wanted to sleep, he could only think of that little boy.



A little boy.



Pathetic.



Is he a e or what?



He didn’t even know his name.



And yet his mind was filled with the cheerful boy.



The words “See you later!” had been ringing in his head all the time, while he quietly hoped every second to be that ‘later’.



But nothing happened.



He did not see the adorable child again, and he slowly but surely sank into depression.




For some unknown reason, his life seemed dull, after having the chance to see how his life would be, with a joyful ball of fluffiness in form of a little boy.



And now, that he was gone, he felt lifeless and tired, to him the world seemed colorless and gloomy.



All he wanted, was to see that lovable boy again.




He did everything to reach this one certain goal of his.



Kyuhyun practically spent the last week at the amusement park, when he wasn’t at college or asleep, desperately looking for the boy.


 



Tonight was no exception.


 


There he was, pitifully standing at his meanwhile usual spot, hoping for any signs of the little boy, he had seen a week ago.



It was senseless to ask random, passing people – they either couldn’t answer his desperate questions, or they would just give him that strange stare, silently telling him, he was a creep for looking for a 5-year-old boy, whom he’s neither related to, nor even aware of the name.



But those people were right, Kyuhyun knew it.


He had no right to even look for that boy.


He clearly remembered, how desperate the boy’s mother was, when she lost him.


He remembered, how they left, hand in hand, while chatting happily.


Why would there be a reason for him, to even appear in the child’s life once more?

 


Kyuhyun knew it all.



There was no reason.



There was just hope.



And that’s why he spent the last five hours, waiting at a booth, where cotton candy was sold.


That was the place, where he had seen the boy for the first time.


That was the place, where the cute child had waved him.


That was the place, he’ll always recognize at first, when he’s on the Ferris wheel.

 

Sorrow mixed with tiredness were the only emotions that glistened in his sad eyes, before he threw another gaze at his watch, for the nth time this night already.

 

It was no surprise though, since it was almost midnight.


What was he thinking anyway?


As if he’d meet the cheerful boy ever again – let alone at such a time…




His grip loosened around the cotton candy, he had unconsciously bought again, and it slipped almost out of his hand, when he lifted his head a bit, scaring the few passing people with his miserable expression, which was easily read.



But then everything stopped.


Everything started to rotate around Kyuhyun, making him feel dizzy, the colorful lights around him darkened, until all he could see was black.



Black, and the shadow of a child, just a few feet in front of him.



He had not expected this to happen.



Even less at a place like this.




Images of last Saturday flooded his mind, when he saw a small figure, crouched down on the ground, just beside the dark alley.


 


His palms suddenly started to feel wet, while heat was slowly creeping onto his face, causing it to redden a little, but the blush was clearly seen.


Kyuhyun took a deep breath, before he tightened his grip around the thin rod of the pink delicacy and wiped a lonely sweat drop off his forehead, wondering how one person could make his body react like this.


 

“Uhmm… hey there,” Kyuhyun greeted quietly, feeling slightly awkward for actually starting a conversation with a little child.


“Hi, Kyuhyun-mister!” was the gleeful respond he got, and the head of the dark figure turned around, revealing those adorable, chubby cheeks that were tainted by a pink tone, his cute puppy eyes formed into two half-moons, just like Kyuhyun remembered them and his mouth, on which a beautiful smile was drawn, stretching the corners of his small mouth to the fullest.


Kyuhyun’s expression immediately softened, after getting to see such a heartwarming sight.



“Why are you here? And why are you alone? And why on earth are you still out?” Kyuhyun asked bewildered after kneeling in front of him, while gently gripping the boy’s shoulders, while the child only smiled brightly at him.



“I missed Kyuhyun-mister!” was the reply of the adorable, little child, who was marvelously smiling at Kyuhyun, or rather at the cotton candy in his hand.



“Is that for me?” he continued and blinked cutely at Kyuhyun, who slightly shook his head to get his mind clear first, before handing the pink delicacy to the boy, making his eyes twinkled beautifully.



“Where’s your mommy, little one?” Kyuhyun asked, softly caressing the boy’s hair, who was greedily devouring his newly won cotton candy.


“She and daddy left,” he murmured, too concentrated on his dish, he didn’t even see Kyuhyun’s shocked face.


“What do you mean ‘they left’?!” Kyuhyun asked bewildered and slightly shook the boy’s shoulder, causing him to finally pay some attention to him.


“I don’t know, mommy said it was important,” he replied, before continuing eating his cotton candy in glee.


“But… they can’t just leave you here!” Kyuhyun shouted in disbelief, causing the few people near them to stare at him, but he couldn’t care less.



He couldn’t believe someone would leave his own child just like that – even less out on the street!


Shudders run over his back, just while imagining what all could happen to the poor boy.



“Oh, no. They took me to a strange woman, who kept saying we’re gonna have a lot of fun – but I fear we didn’t have the same definition of fun!” the boy replied, while sticking his tongue out.


“That are some big words for a little kid like you! But a strange woman…? You’re not talking about a babysitter, are you?” Kyuhyun asked, trying to figure out what the boy could have meant.


“Right, that’s what mommy and daddy called her, I think…” the boy murmured, before stuffing his mouth with cotton candy again, and munching on it in delight.


“But you can’t just run away like that! She’ll be worried! Your parents will be worried!” Kyuhyun exclaimed and frowned, while getting onto his feet.


“But I don’t want to stay with her! She’s mean!” the boy argued, also getting up from the ground and adorably stomping his feet, showing his anger.


“Come on, I’ll take you to her,” Kyuhyun decided and gently grabbed the hand of the smaller, who slightly struggled.


“No! Please not! Let me stay with you!” he whined, causing Kyuhyun to widen his eyes.


“What? No, I can’t! I’d be assumed as a kidnapper, I can’t just take you with me, I don’t even know your name – what would they think of me?!” Kyuhyun replied shocked, while staring into the two cute puppy eyes of his companion.


“My name is Sungmin! And who cares about them, just take me with you… please?” the boy pleaded, even sank onto his knees, while a huge pout was formed on his lips.



Kyuhyun sighed in defeat, absolutely aware of the boy being stubborn, even though he barely talked to him.


He had pictured the boy just like that to himself, when he should have had paid attention to the lecturer in college.



“Just for tonight, because it’s already that late, then I’ll take you back to your babysitter!” Kyuhyun gave up and Sungmin squealed in joy about his win, before they made their way to Kyuhyun’s home.

 



When they arrived, Kyuhyun took Sungmin straight to his bedroom, before he helped the little boy out of his dirty clothes and handed him a big shirt of his own, he could wear for the night.


“So, and now go to sleep, alright?” Kyuhyun commanded and pointed to the bed, while Sungmin only followed the direction of Kyuhyun’s finger, but didn’t move and inch.


“Carry me!” he partly agreed and lifted his little arms, so Kyuhyun could easily pick him up.


Kyuhyun slightly rolled his eyes, but smiled at the cute boy, and carefully picked him up, before gently placing him on the huge bed, before he pulled the warm and fluffy covers over the boy’s body.


“Now sleep, good night,” Kyuhyun mumbled, while switching off the lights, but when he was about to leave the room, the boy was faster.



“Catch me!” he squealed cheekily, while Kyuhyun stared dumbfounded at the empty spot in his bed, where Sungmin was lying just a few seconds before.


“No, Sungmin! Let’s go to sleep, we can play tomorrow!” he argued and went into the same direction as the boy had rushed before.


“Liar! You said, I have to go back tomorrow!” Sungmin defended himself, while Kyuhyun was trying to find the sly boy, who was hiding in Kyuhyun’s small flat.


“But we can play before that! Or we’ll play together with your babysitter, but now go to sleep!” Kyuhyun replied helplessly, and he started to grow a little desperate, since he never had to deal with a hyperactive child.



“Really?” Sungmin quietly asked a few seconds later.


“Yeah, really,” Kyuhyun answered, while sneaking into the room, from where Sungmin’s voice came from.


“Promise?” he asked further.


“Yeah, yeah. Promise!”


“Pinky promise?” Sungmin’s voice chimed again – definitely from behind the sofa.


“Okay, but if I’ll catch you, you’re gonna sleep in an instant!” Kyuhyun replied cheekily, while standing behind the clueless boy, who only giggled slyly.

 

“Alright~ … KYAAA!” he squeaked and giggled even more, when Kyuhyun had picked him up, not expecting to be ever found, when he had a hiding place like that!


“So, now we’re gonna sleep,” Kyuhyun laughed in victory, while carrying the struggling and giggling boy in his arm, straight back into his bedroom.


“No, that wasn’t fair!” Sungmin whined cutely, but complied, when Kyuhyun placed him back in the fluffy bed, after yawning tiredly.


“Yes it was, so good night, Sungminnie~,” Kyuhyun replied and softly kissed Sungmin’s forehead, before leaving the room, this time making sure, the boy would stay in bed.



 

After softly closing the door, Kyuhyun stayed at the same spot for several minutes, just smiling to himself, his gaze lowered onto the handle of the door, which his hand was still gripping onto.


 

Never had he thought things would turn out like this, but he was blissfully happy and thankful for that.


 

But he also couldn’t imagine those things that would happen in near future.


I apologize for the lame and short chapter and every other mistakes xD - but *cough* someone *cough* urged me to update xD
Oh and happy halloween additional! :D