Chapter 4

A Change of Mind

Three weeks later the school was going to go on a one-day field trip. We were going to travel by bus to the seaside, though I hardly knew what good that would do us. It wasn't like we would actually learn anything by doing so.

Nobody complained about that, though. Everyone loved trips, no matter where the destination was. 

We boarded the bus early on a Wednesday morning, when the air was still crisp and fresh.

Because I was one of the first to enter the bus, I got to sit all the way in the back. Naive as I was, I assumed that the seat next to me would be taken in a matter of seconds. That was, of course, not what happened at all. The other students boarded one by one, but no one chose to sit next to me. 

At first I felt slightly offended. Do I smell bad or something? But when he finally boarded the bus, I realized straight away. 

Of course. 

No one wants to displease him. 

I sighed, because I knew there was no way I could get away from him. 

"Hey there, jagi-ah. So you like sitting in the back?" L said and sat down next to me. 

"I like sitting far away from you," I retorted.

"Come on now, don't be such a party-pooper," he replied and ruffled my hair, to my infinite dismay. 

"There's no party!" I said hotly, feeling the anger bubble up inside me. 

"Oh dear, someone's sure in a bad mood."

"Of course I'm in a bad mood! You won't stop bothering me and you make everybody else stay away from me. Do you know how lonely that makes me?"

Apparently he hadn't thought of that at all, because the surprise was evident on his face. I wasn't sure, but I thought I could detect a hint of something like regret or remorse in his eyes, though it disappeared again in a matter of seconds.

"You don't need all of those other people, Yeollie. It's fine as long as you have me."

"But I don't want you."

"But I want you."

I looked at him, and saw that he was staring at me with his dark eyes utterly focused on me. He looked like a painting with his perfect, black hair and his perfect, dark eyes. He looked too perfect, like he was nothing but someone's imagination of a prince charming. Except that he wasn't charming at all, nor did he act anything like a prince. 

"Do you like me yet?" he inquired suddenly. 

"No. Of course I don't like you. I'll never like you," I replied. 

"Yes, you will."

"No, I won't."

"I already told you. I'll make you change your mind."

"You can't change a mind that doesn't want to be changed."

"I'll make you want to change."

"You aren't a god, you do know that, right?"

He seemed puzzled by my question. "What's that got to do with anything?"

"Only gods have the power to do anything and everything they want. You, on the other hand, don't have any such power."

His expression changed then. All of a sudden he wasn't the happy, yet extremely cocky guy that had been bothering me for the last couple of weeks. His eyebrows constricted and his eyes seemed to darken, and he scowled at me with an angry expression.

"Would you please stop that?" he grumbled quietly. 

"Stop what?" I asked, feeling a bit apprehensive. 

"Completely crushing everything I say. It's like you hate me."

I was baffled. 

"Why won't you just give me a chance?" he continued with a complaining tone. 

"Because I'm not gay. I already told you that."

"And I already told you that I know that! You don't have to be gay, you just have to be with me!"

"But that's exactly the same thing."

"No, it's not."

I gave up trying to explain to him. It wouldn't make any difference anyway. He was too stubborn, and I was too tired. So instead, I looked out the window at the passing scenery. 

I had sat like that for a while, never looking at L, when I felt something softly hit my shoulder. When I looked down at it, I saw that L had fallen asleep and his head was resting on my shoulder. 

I could feel the warmth of his cheek even through my sweater. Carefully I extended my hand and gently pushed his head away, so that he wasn't touching me. 

You're so stupid, L. Why would you fall asleep when you're sitting next to me? I thought you liked me. It's like you don't even value the time you spend with me. Not that I care. 

I sighed again and looked out the window once more. 

 

Author's note: Hey guys! Thanks so much for reading my story^^ It's not that great, but I still hope you like it:)) I'll probably update again soon (I'm just having too much fun writing, haha:P )