Chapter 5

A Change of Mind

As the weeks went by, I got used to L's presence, even though I tried not to. I didn't like the fact that he was always around, but humans can adapt to most anything - no matter how unpleasant - if they are given a long enough period of time. 

And so when he came during the breaks between classes and sat down on a chair in front of me, leaned on my desk, and stared at me, I handled it with calmness. 

"Your gums show when you smile," he said to me one day when he was sitting like that, resting his chin on his hands, his elbows on my desk. "Did you know that?"

I stared back levelly. "You don't need to point out all my faults."

"That's not why I mentioned it."

"Then why did you mention it?"

"I think it's cute."

I breathed out, once again silenced by his words. No one had ever said that my smile was cute. Not that it mattered. 

"You should smile more, Yeollie," L said, cocking his head to the side. His dark eyes sparkled. 

"Why should you concern yourself with that?" I asked, trying to put as much venom in my words as possible.

"Because when you're happy, I'm happy."

You really are too cheesy, I thought. The worst part was that he was so utterly serious when he spoke that I couldn't even laugh it off.

"Well, I'm not happy right now," I said, hoping against all odds that he would understand and go away.

"Your chubby cheeks are cute, too," he replied, totally dismissing my comment.

"Are you just going to ignore what I say now?" I asked, feeling a bit irritated.

"If I don't like what I hear."

"Well then, I guess I better get used to being ignored from now on." After a moment's thought, I added "By you, that is. Everybody else is already doing a pretty good job at it."

L reached out his hand and ruffled my hair. "I'm sorry that this is hard for you, my adorable choding. But you'll grow used to me after a while, you'll see." 

Before I could shoot back that I would never in a million years grow used to him, he rose from his chair and walked out of the classroom. 

I already did, L. I'm already used to you.

 

Author's note: Once again, I apologize that my chapters are short...:( Still, I hope you like it!^^ (with all of Myungsoo's cheesiness, haha)