The Coffee Shop

One For Me

Chapter 1 – The Coffee Shop

 

The warmth of spring comforted young Taemin as he walked with his two best friends outside of the school. Students were scurrying away to get to their homes. The dawn of the weekend was beginning like every other, and the boys were more pumped and excited than usual.

“This talent show is going to be unlike any other!” Kibum exclaimed, hand in hand with Jonghyun. “You know what it would mean if one of us won? We would be the best of the best! Most popular kids in school! Definitely more popular than that stupid Minho…” he went on and on until they got to Jonghyun’s car. Even then, he continued to ramble and ramble. They arrived at a coffee shop down the road where all the students liked to hang out after school. When they got out, Kibum finally stopped his rambling.

“And you say Teacher talks too much.” Taemin joked as they walked to the door. Kibum stuck his tongue out playfully as he wrapped an arm around Jonghyun.

When they got inside, they gasped at all the students in the small shop. They managed to get to the counter and got their orders taken. Kibum got a coffee and muffin, Jonghyun got a soda, and Taemin had a soda and a lollipop. His face brightened when the cashier handed him the biggest, reddest lollipop in the store. They sat down at a booth, after squeezing through crowds of anxious students.

“Sure are a lot of people here today.” Jonghyun observed as he sipped his soda.

“Sounds like all they’re talking about is the talent show.” Taemin said between .

“I think it’s going to be a lot of fun, other than being competitive.” Jonghyun added in.

Kibum wrapped his arm around Jonghyun’s. “Do you know what you’re going to sing, honey?”

Jonghyun looked up in thought, “Maybe Love Like Oxygen? I think my voice sounds the best when I sing that song.”

Kibum giggled, “Your voice sounds the best when you sing anything.”

Jonghyun blushed a little and kissed Kibum on the cheek. Taemin awkwardly sipped his soda, trying to look away from the moopy couple across from him.

“Taemin-ah, sorry to be so awkward.” Kibum apologized. “Let’s talk about something other than the talent show.” Kibum took a bite from his muffin and sipped his coffee. He gave a disgusting face, and added more sugar. “So, Taeminnie, do you still like Heechul hyung?”

Taemin glared at Kibum for calling him that and sipped his soda. “No, he and Siwon hyung are together now, so I’m happy for him.”

“So do you like anyone else now?” Jonghyun asked. Taemin thought about Minho, how handsome he was. But he dared not say he had a crush on Minho. So he sipped his soda again. “No, not at the moment.”

Just then, Minho and Jinki walked into the coffee shop. All the students looked at them in awe. They were two very popular boys in school so everyone wanted to watch or hear anything they said or did. The two boys walked to the counter to order, and Taemin sat staring at Minho. He didn’t realize until Kibum hit his hand.

“Yah! Do you hear me?” Kibum yelled at the zoned out Taemin.  He shook his head and looked at Kibum.

“Wha-what?” He stuttered.

“Do you like Minho?” Kibum asked with a stern face.

Taemin wanted to tell the truth, but he quickly defended himself.

“No! I don’t like him, what’s to like about him?” He lied.

“Good,” Kibum said, eating the last bite of his muffin, “because if you do, I’ll kick your .”

Taemin laughed nervously and his lollipop. He watched as Minho ordered an ice cream cone and coffee to-go, while Jinki wore a sad face upon hearing the coffee shop’s run out of chicken. They left in a hurry to get to choir practice. Taemin watched Minho get into his car with Jinki and drive away. Maybe he did have these feelings for him, but what would he do about them?