Chapter 11

Love and Betrayal

It was just like any other day at the training camp, soldiers were training, the sound of weapons clashing and yelling at each other was something that could be heard from the distance. Often, Jiyoon would go to see them, and train with them when she has some free time. Everytime, as she step into the training field, all the soldiers will welcome  her here. Despite the traditional restrictions for woman to become soldiers, she was a role model for the newcomers. All the rookies admired her, and despite the harsh life of a soldier,  they admired and supported her, something that made her feel ashamed.

 

Being a spy herself in this situation, she should be happy because she can do her job easily, without looking suspicious. But for her, it’s the opposite, she felt bad, she felt troubled, she’s betraying all these loyal servants, all these friends of her. "Friends…” Could she consider them as friends? She shakes her head, trying to deny these thoughts. Even if she has taken a decision in protecting the princess she has no right to thonk that she belongs here.

 

Today, as she steps into the training ground, one of the soldier suddenly points his sword toward her and screams:” I CHALLENGE YOU INTO A DUEL!” Everyone started to laugh at him which made him even more frustrated. Jiyoon was just standing there staring at this gentleman. He looks weak and small, not too much of a strong built, even his hand is shaking from the heavy sword.

One of the soldier approach them and pat on the boy shoulder and looked at Jiyoon.

”I apologize, madam. This newbie keeps hearing how strong you are, still he doesn’t believe it. He’s very cocky so please don’t mind him” The boy was getting angry, he shakes the man hand off:”I am not being cocky! I want to challenge you!! Show me what you got!” without warning he charged toward Jiyoon. She quickly dodge behind and pull out her sword, one second, she points the sword at his throat earning claps from everyone. The boy, still shock of what just happened fall onto the ground in sweat.

 

Jiyoon smiled and slowly walks toward him and give her hand to him. He looked at her and took her hand to stand up.

”If you want to beat me, you will have to train harder okay? The way you hold your sword, it makes it easy for me to break your defense. Next time, try to get used to a lighter sword, and slowly train with a heavier sword. I believe you will be a good soldier in the future.” The boy stared at her with admiration.

”Thank…you…*cough* Yes, I will train harder and beat you one day!” then he quickly turn around going back to practice which earn Jiyoon a smiled. Then she walked away.

As Jiyoon walk away, she remembers her past, when she was only an apprentice.

"DON’T YOU DARE STEP AWAY UNTIL I WIN!" Screamed a mini Jiyoon. The young boy chuckled and stared at her:”If you want to beat me, then train yourself harder. Put your hate toward me and show me what you got little girl”

“I AM NO LITTLE GIRL YOU JERK!”

“Sure, sure” as he walks away, he turns back around: "You should use a lighter sword until you can wield a stronger one Jiyoon" then he walked away.

 

A sudden call brings her back to reality.

“Jiyoon?" called a familiar voice

Jiyoon turn around and saw the princess, she quickly walks forward and bow down. ”Princess! What can I do for you? ”

Gayoon stares at her with a smile. ” Why were you giggling on your own?”

Jiyoon is quite flustered. ”Huh..no..I..”

Hyuna stares at her coldly. ”Yeah giggling like an idiot”

Jiyoon glare at Hyuna:”You talking about yourself?”

Hyuna is ready for another quarrel.” What?!” she quickly walk forward to Jiyoon.

Gayoon is frustrated with both of them.”Both of you stop” which made both of them stand by, she looked at Jiyoon, still waiting for an answer.

Jiyoon nods.”I just met a new soldier that remind me of myself when I was younger”

Gayoon stares at her, thinking of something. ”It’s rare to see you smile, you should smile more often Jiyoon, it suit you better.” then she turned around leaving a confused and red faced Jiyoon as she leaves.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

"Princess...I don't think this is a good idea" Jiyoon said, her back turned to Gayoon, who was inside her dresser, changing her royal clothing. Jiyoon could catch a brief glimpse of her back, reflected on a nearby mirror but immediately turned her gaze away.

"Is she crazy? An entire squad to protect her and she...!"

 

"I'm sorry, Jiyoon. But I'm not asking about any opinions about this...after all, I have done this too many times." Gayoon says confidently, transformed into someone else, dressed with commoner clothing, a hood covering her head.

"Take out that coat and put this." She throws a piece of rough, plain clothing to Jiyoon. "We are going to take a trip"

 

Jiyoon is surprised about Gayoon's knowledge about the castle and its secret routes. She knows how to avoid guards and maintain a low profile as she walks with Jiyoon, away from everyone. She wonders if someone else knows about this.

 

"Hyuna would freak out if she knows...and Dad..." Gayoon mutters as they reach an open field, the mountains far away, almost lost into the horizon. Jiyoon remembers that the "Dark Moon" secret base lies in the depths of those mountains.

"Then why me?" Jiyoon brings up the question and Gayoon smiles with mischief.

"Because I trust you..."Gayoon says and she brings her attention to a group of flowers.

"Princess...It's my duty..."

Gayoon stares back at her. "Right now we are equals. I'm a wanderer and so are you. I need this if I want to keep my sanity."

"But...you know...there's  people risking their lives for you." Jiyoon objects. How can she protect this woman if she keeps doing things like this?

Gayoon looks sad. "Am I a irresponsible person? is that?"

Jiyoon quickly regrets her words. "Pr..."

"Call me by my name." She requests with a voice filled with pain. Jiyoon understand her wishes of being alone, without the pressure or the responsabilities, at least for a moment, but the risk is too high.

"Gayoon...You...you are the heir to this kingdom, and there's...there's people that would take advantage of this to hurt you!"

 

 

Gayoon's eyes burns with anger and she tries to leave, but Jiyoon rushes to grab her by her arm.

"Release me" Gayoon warns her with a cold voice.

Jiyoon thinks that maybe she's crossing a fine line but there's something about her resolution that makes her even more beautiful.

"Do you regret this?"

Jiyoon is pushing; part of herself regretting this, but there's another side of her that craves for more. Her princess might look now like a farmer, a refugee or anything else but she's even more beautiful, like those wild flowers.

"I thought you would understand!" She almost cries.

"Why? I'm just a simple...."

"Look, I don't know!...I just did! I just...I thought...you...were different!" Gayoon's voice is almost broken, but she refuses to cry.

 

Jiyoon lets her go. "I'm sorry...I..."

She's scared of her words, her actions. Any word from her might be her downfall or her possibility of a new life. She wants to believe that she can see something good in her, but if she tells her the truth...

"I know you are in a troubled moment... I just..." Jiyoon is lost in her words.

"Please...just... I just want to walk and..." Gayoon shakes her head. "I don't know why I'm asking you..."

"I'm sorry...I'm...used to take orders and think like this... I...I don't have family, or friends, nor... well, it had been only myself for a long time and..."

Jiyoon felt her heart beating with increasing speed. She stopped mainly due to fear of saying something inappropriate or something that would end up upsetting Gayoon, now that they were alone.

"Let's...just walk, is that okay?" Gayoon smiled, attempting to break the tension between them.

 

They started to walk side by side through the field, hearing the sounds of birds, the wind breezing at moments, sun shining among the clouds. Gayoon started to talk about the weather, casually telling Jiyoon about a time when her mother was alive and she enjoyed making walks with her. Her father's attention gradually turned from her as he married again, but his current wife seemed to be unable to give him a child. Gayoon partially wanted that woman to be pregnant with a boy, so that kid could be the first on the royal throne, after her father.

"Maybe then, I could be more free...I could travel and meet other kingdoms, learn and become wiser. What about you?"

"Me?" Jiyoon asked.

"Yes. you, silly. Have you travelled right?"

Jiyoon smiled. " A bit. Rough travels here and there. Nothing fancy"

"Come on, tell me. I bet you have seen interesting things."

Jiyoon nodded and told her about her travels to the eastern lands, avoiding the details that might be compromising. As a spy, she had seen and heard things, but she kept her stories pretty innocent. Gayoon was amazed at her stories and soon their secret meetings were more frequent.

"Thanks for not telling anyone. For keeping my secrets..." Gayoon said as she leans on her shoulder as they watch the azure sky. Jiyoon felt a pain within her chest and wished that she could tell her own secrets. "Maybe it's a silly thing, you might say but... I feel like I know you from a long time ago."

"It's not silly...it's... sweet of you to say that"

"Oh sh*t...am I really saying this?!"

"Do you think I'm sweet?" Gayoon asked, teasing her. Jiyoon felt her cheeks burn because her lips were so close to her face, she could feel her breathing.

"Yes..."

She kissed her, on her cheek and Jiyoon swallowed. She knew Gayoon was playing with her but she wasn't even mad, only confused. Pleasantly confused, if she had to describe it.

 

-------------------

 

Jiyoon smiles when the princess enters the castle grounds. Yesterday she had prepared a picnic (no idea how she could be so sneaky) and they ventured into another private adventure. However, today she was dressing with a beautiful yellow dress, embroiled with complex drawings and her hair was carefully wrapped. She heard someone coughing and she returns to her usual serious face.

 

Tonight they had to the princess as part of the celebrations of the Moon festival and almost everyone was attending the parade that had begun this afternoon.  However her thoughts were darkened by those rumors about an uprising. The princess, lovely and innocent lived in a bubble, protected by her guards and servants, maybe aware of the rumors but with so many occupations, could she be fully aware of the situation?

 

She looked at Hyuna, who returned her gaze, without the usual hate, something weird to say the least, but she doesn't say anything.

 

The king and his wife started the celebration with a speech. The guards were on alert. Jiyoon was looking at the crowd cheering their leader, the music and the fireworks starting.

 

"I don't like this" Hyuna murmured and Jiyoon looks at her. "Have you heard?"

Could it be a trap of any kind?, Jiyoon ponders.

"There's people talking. I'm worried but..." Jiyoon honestly said.

"I personally, don't care about the king...but..."

Jiyoon smiled. "I know you want the princess and not precisely as a friend"

Hyuna pretends to not be affected. "What about you?"

"I'm a loyal servant. I don't want anything in this world, except for keep the princess safe" Jiyoon says joking.

Hyuna looked around. People were fixed on the celebration, guards doing rounds.

"We don't need that bastard as a king. People are poorer and he spends tons of money on the monarchy."

Jiyoon was shocked to hear her speaking like that.

"you better shut up, before..."

"I ing know." Hyuna stared at her with anger. Traitors were executed and maybe tortured before hanging them. "I hate you, you know. But we have something in common. We have bleeded for the same person."

Maybe Hyuna knows...no, that's ridiculous. She hates me.

"Think about it." Hyuna says before going back to her rounds.

Jiyoon is shocked and alarmed. Is she part of the so-rumoured coup d'etat? Is she plotting to kill the king and make Gayoon the queen? And most important, is him aware of this?

 

Suddenly an explosion could be heard, people entered in panic and all that was in Jiyoon's mind was to keep Gayoon safe....

 

TBC

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone! We are back with a chapter!! Sorry for not updating for so long !!! And thank you to those who still support us!! 

Please tell us what you think :) And continue to support us! :D