Attack by Stratagem

The Art of War

 

“I’d never expect you to be that close to her, Casey.”

Ivan James took a casual stride to sit on the soft couch in his friend’s room, coupled with a well-practiced baffled expression that he perfected over the years plastered over his features.

Said man snorted before ignoring him and resumed his activity.

“Then again, you’re also the unofficial brother for madame royale and she’s the perfect embodiment of innocent princess.”

“Don’t you have anything to do? If you’re gonna interrogate me about Sophie, you talk to wrong person.”

Casey grumbled before filling away the paperwork that mountain in his desk.

“Sophie? First name calling already?”

He sent the Russian Prince a dark look, making Jae threw his hand in mock surrender and walking out of his office.

“I’m going out. See you.”

When the androgynous man closed the door, the Danish ruler took out his glass and wine from his secret drawer, feeling headache that would come whenever certain prince decided to visit before swallowing the beverage in one shot and muttered.

“Bastard.”

 


 

“I’m surprised that you’re agreed with Mother.”

The taller woman sat perfectly still, her handmaiden skillfully applied her make-up. Soft brushes touched her cheekbones, easily more pronounced them with peach hue.

The other huffed, used by her apathetic attitude even now, her hands occupying large cosmetic products before carefully mixing the colours before instructed other handmaiden to help the first one.

“Here is your dress, sister.”

Jesse’s cold tone greeted her. Turning her head, the eldest princess could see her wedding dress.

It was the perfect combination of white and light lavender and fitted bodice that highlighted her svelte figure.

One hand clasped around her neck, with collared blue diamond necklace, one that had the darkest heart of Astorian cut into tears.

The maid helped her with the dress; her younger sister, the dauphine styled her hair into an elegant knot, with her bangs curled loosely in one side. The youngest put the diadem, circlet of platinum with dark blue stone that was cut into an egg in the middle and tiny diamonds and white pearls spread out in the metal.

“You know I’m going to be fine, Rex.”

Her voice filled with amusement at the rare sight of her youngest sister hovering around her.

The youngest pouted before straighten her posture.

“I know, sister. I just hate the fact that you must fight with Caroline.”

The middle princess stiffened before narrowing her eyes.

“Crystal?”

Rex nodded while Sophie casted a faraway look. Jesse’s expression closed off for a moment, leaving the previous blank look and replying, eyes hard.

“Give them hell, sister.”

 


 

Caroline Crystal sat in together with the other attendances. Next to her, Joanna of France looked fresh as ever, Infanta Maria Summer Theresa in white gown whispering excitedly with Theodora Seo of Savoy.

She snorted at herself in irony. The past lovers of the Tsesarevich were seated in one row in his marriage.

Placed in front row was the beautiful Velikiy Knyaz who threw a smirk towards his indifferent brother, the Danish ruler with his fiancée, Beatrice; Vivienne Vincent, French madame royale, almost all of them had been the princess’s best friends.

She clenched her fists when she could see the royal family entered.

They were so perfect. ing perfect.

Maria walked like a queen she was, dressed in white, so focused at her goal with iciness that surrounded her.

Rex, the Princess of Navarrete was the next ruler of Astorian, her usual playful attitude vanished, replacing by the cruel look that reflected through her sharp features.

And Sophie, dear soft Sophie was nothing like the older girl who used to tell them bedtime stories long time ago.

She walked confidently; eyes full of love, one that made the Russian Crown Prince unintentionally soften his expression.

Crystal focused her sight, seeing how the usual arrogant and narcissistic Max kissed the bride tenderly. Even when she was together with him two months ago, he had talked his amusement and fascination of his fiancée towards her, his lover.

She refused to look at them, refusing to admit her defeat, five years she’d spent on the crown prince’s company and he actually started to fall in love for her enemy; and opting to look at the grand prince.

Jae was eyeing the princess like a delicious meat he would love to devour.  

Oh my.

She grinned.

An ally.  

 


 

“Shouldn’t you be in your room now?” Seo demanded.

The sight of the newly-wed groom sitting with them now really made her mad.

“Come on Seo. Let him relax, those uptight Astorian Princesses must made him fed up all day.” Summer complained while she let her hair combed by the Russian,

Joanna offered him a glass which he accepted gladly.

“Won’t this be suspicious, your highness? You’re just married after all.”

Max ignored her easily, choosing to kiss Crystal who leaned at him.

There was a click and the door opened, startling the other occupants of the room.

“Wow, man. You’re amazing.”

Marcus William complimented. Seo tackled the duke of York in a hug.

“What do you want Marcus?”

He was annoyed, any previous mood evaporated.

“Well, there is a certain princess who sat alone.” He raised his eyebrow, sensing the other man changed his expression so fast.

“And a beautiful prince who might graciously accompanies Tsesarevna all night while her husband is busy enjoying his mistresses in their marriage night.”

Max took a deep breath, fists balled tightly and furiously stormed out of the room.

“Is that really necessary?”

Crystal complained, not liking the fact that the Russian was leaving her without a single glance.

“You must learn sharing, dear. You might be his favourite right now, however since Jae set his eye at her, Max would never let her wife go. She’s his number one priority.”

The duke of York explained, taking a pity towards the Austrian heiress. Max would not likely let his Empress out of his sight after this.

Still, the young emperor was so careless, letting his wife alone in his wedding night especially when the famously womanizer grand prince stayed not too far. Jae could charm anyone; it would be one fatal blow to the Russian heir if his brother succeeded to seduce the lonely princess.

“May be he won’t be such bad company.”

Crystal mused coldly while twirled her glass of wine.

Summer heard her statement, ready to snap her, but Joanna beat her up.           

“Don’t let jealousy cloud your judgment. You don’t know the Tsesarevna personally.”

Ivan James was the infamously player, dangerous with his poisoned words and angelic features while the princess was an unknown factor. Very few attending parties and befriended in an exclusive circle of rulers and heirs.

“I know her. She’s weak and she won’t hurt a fly, Max will be mine. “ She declared, eyes filled with hatred and madness before stood up and walked out.

“You don’t want to prevent her doing something stupid?” Seo asked, Marc’s hands still wrapped around her waist.

 Summer lay in the couch again, Joanna filled her nails, commented easily.

“Nah. It will be an interesting fight to see.”

 

 

AN:

In case you aren't familiar with them already.

Ivan Jae James, Velikiy Knyaz. Grand Prince of Russian : Jaejoong, Kim.

Caesar Casey Christian of Denmark : Casey Kim, Heechul.

Maximillian. Tsesarevich : Max, Changmin.

Sophie Auguste of Astorian, Tsesarevna : U-Know, Yunho.

Maria Jesse Reine of Astorian, dauphine of France: Jessica Jung, Sooyeon.

Rex of Astorian : Junghee/Jonghyun, Kim. Who else has the nickname as Dino?

Caroline Crystal of AustrianKrystal Jung, Soojung.

Infanta Maria Summer Theresa of Spain : Summer Choi, Sooyoung.

Theodora Seo Anna of Savoy : Seohyun.

Jeanne Joanna Marie of French, courtesan : Yoona.

Marcus Marc William, duke of York : Marcus Cho, Kyuhyun.

 

Terms used in this chapter :

Dauphine is the female form of the particular French feudal (comital or princely) title of Dauphin (also anglicized as Dolphin), applied to the wife of a Dauphin (usually in the sense of heir to the French royal throne).

Tsesarevna : The wife of the Tsesarevich was the Tsesarevna

Princess of Navarrete : Title for the Heir Apparent of Astorian throne. Analogue with the title Prince of Wales. Dauphin of France and Tsesarevich of Russia.