Chapter 16

Love Food Story

“Sica…”

Soo…”

Sooyoung and Jessica look at each other. At the moment they are sitting together in the dining table, enjoying lunch. But they are silent in sync because they talk simultaneously.

Actually Sooyoung wants to ask permission for going home late to have practice with Yuri. Even though she is grown up women, she stays in somebody’s house so she feels like she needs to ask permission for that. She doesn’t want to be rude as Jessica’s housemate. But somehow she also knows, although she just does it for manner, Jessica won’t care. That’s why she finds it hard to say it. While cooking lunch, she thought about it, but until now… she still doesn’t know how to say it. And to know Jessica also has something to say, it successfully blows up Sooyoung’s mind. And it makes Sooyoung feels worry… Could it be bad news for her?

But that time, Jessica actually feels curious about the event in Sooyoung’s workplace this weekend. But somehow… she doesn’t want to show it and kind of don’t know how to say it without showing her curiosity. Let’s just say… her pride doesn’t want it to happen. In the end, they’re talking about completely different story from their intention.

“Please go ahead, Sica.”

Jessica shakes her head. “No. You go ahead.”

To know Sooyoung has something to say makes Jessica though maybe she has intention to tell her about the event without Jessica needed to ask. That’s why she won’t let go this chance away.

“Er…” Sooyoung scratches her head that’s not itchy. “Do you… have a request for breakfast tomorrow?”

Jessica blinks her eyes. That’s… different.

“Ano… if you have a request, please tell me. Sometimes I want to cook Japanese dish but mostly they use cucumber and you told me that you have allergic, that’s why I kind of out of ideas for breakfast,” Sooyoung continues. “Beside… I don’t have your phone number, that’s why I can’t call or text you to ask your opinion about the menu.”

Jessica nods. Somehow she still needs time for shocking question that she never expected.

“I’m okay with Korean or American dishes. You can choose one of them,” Jessica utters. “As long as I have something to eat in the morning, evening and night, I won’t complain.”

Sooyoung nods.

“But if your question means that you want to have my number, you can directly ask that.”

Sooyoung blinks. Now it’s her turn to get shocking statement.

“Is it… okay?” Sooyoung hesitantly asks.

 Jessica nods. “I thought you already have my number from Tiffany, that’s why you never ask my number.”

Sooyoung shakes. “It will be rude if I just get your number without your permission.”

“Your parents must be proud of you. You have some manners,” Jessica replies.

Sooyoung smile bitterly, remembering her reason leave the house. Is she still count as a good daughter for what she had done to catch her dream?

Frankly Jessica catches that expression on Sooyoung’s face, but somehow she can’t… no, not only can’t but she doesn’t want to get closer. She doesn’t want to involve in other people’s problem because in her opinion it also means she needs to open up about her own problem. Jessica always thinks everything should be fair. But since she needs to keep her wall stand, she won’t be the one who jumping over it. Except Sooyoung tells her, she won’t ask. That’s her rule for keep her heart unreachable.

“So… about the breakfast, you can cook anything for me as long as you don’t put cucumber on it,” Jessica continues to kill the silence. “And wait here for a moment.”

Sooyoung only stares at Jessica’s back when she suddenly leaves. As the order, Sooyoung still waits Jessica in the dining table. Just five minutes passed until Jessica sits back in front of her.

“Here's my number (AN : call me maybe~♫♪♫),” Jessica puts a name card in the table. “Call me when needed. And if I didn’t answer, text me.”

Sooyoung nods. “I still don’t have name card. So…”

Sooyoung takes tissue on the table and writes down her number in there. She pushes the tissue to Jessica. With a smile, she says, “Here is my number.”

“Why you make me feel like we are sitting on the pub?” Jessica gives irritated look at Sooyoung. "Have you ever do this to your customer?"

“Er…” Sooyoung scratches her head again although it’s not itchy. “It's because... I have no paper?”

Jessica rolls her eyes to hear Sooyoung’s excuse. “Whatever.”

Sooyoung nervously giggles to see Jessica’s reaction. To avoid it continues, she decided to ask about something else, “How about your novel? Tiffany comes here, right?”

Jessica nods. “She agrees with the storyline and I promise her to finish the first chapter but somehow I’m still lazy to continue it.”

“You still need some help? If you want… two heads is better than one, right?” Sooyoung offers.

Jessica stares at Sooyoung.

“But… if you don’t want to… it’s okay,” Immediately Sooyoung looks down.

“I’m still not in the mood writing novel. If I need your help, I will,” Jessica says, looking away when she realizes Sooyoung looks up again and staring at her.

“Really?” Happily Sooyoung asks. “Err… for reference can I read your novel that has been published?”

Jessica glances at Sooyoung while supporting her head with one hand in the table. “Which one?”

Somehow she feels a bit suspicious since she remembers Tiffany asked her if Sooyoung ever asked about her past or something related with her past. One of her novel she wrote basic from her real life, only the end of the story was a bit different. That’s why… she can’t let her guard down.

“Any of it? How many novel you had published?” Sooyoung curiously asks.

Jessica taps her chin. “Silent World, Desperately In love With You, Her, One Last Week and I forget the other. Which one you want to read?”

“Which one the shortest? Your First? Or your last? And which one is the most selling?” Sooyoung asks.

“The last is Her. That also the most selling novel, I guess... The first hmmm… I forget. But the shortest is One Last Week I believe,” Jessica continues. “So?”

“One Last Week?” Sooyoung grins.

Jessica nods. “I’ll give you tonight. I save them all in my working room.”

Sooyoung only nods. The only place she can find what she needs is in the forbidden place for her to enter in this place. She actually has prediction of it, but somehow she still has a hope it won’t be like that, but the truth is telling her the other way.

“And Sica… can I go home late tonight?”

“I’m not your mom, but you can. Just make sure you’re not making a noise although you drunk. I don’t want to hear any complains from the neighbor,” Jessica replies.

Sooyoung shakes. “I won’t get drunk. Actually… after work, my boss told me to stay for awhile for practice. You ever heard me singing while cooking, right?”

Jessica nods, admitting. “Wae?”

“On weekend we have an event in our restaurant. The chef, the owner and the waitress will sing together to entertain our customers. Each week we have different theme. For this weekend, only female customer can enter. We also choose a song with food on it. It can be the lyrics or the title. The customer is free to join in.”

Unexpectedly Jessica finally gets what she wants, the explanation of the weekend event. Somehow she can understand why Tiffany invites her this weekend. Only female customer can enter, that's the reason. It will really endure the danger for them although they only eat dinner at the restaurant. And it also explains why Tiffany can guarantee there will be less flirt to Jessica even though she joins in.

“You want to come?”

Unpredictable Sooyoung dares herself to ask that question. She actually feels a bit surprise that she says it but since she already does it, she can’t take it back except she has time machine.

Jessica blinks her eyes. Although she kind of sure she will be there because Tiffany surely drag her that day if she insist to stay in the apartment, but she never knows she will get official invitation from Sooyoung. But in some reason… she wants to play hard to get with her chef.

“Hm? Let me think about it.”

There is a slight disappointment Jessica can see in Sooyoung’s eyes when she says that. Honestly she kind of feels guilty and want to correct her answer, telling Sooyoung about Tiffany’s invitation. But again… something holds her. Something that she still doesn’t know what is it.

“Oh… okay. Maybe you need to concentrate with your new novel, right?” Sooyoung dryly chuckles. “I just think maybe you can relax and maybe… just maybe… you get another inspiration there.”

“I haven’t turned you down.” Jessica sharply looks at Sooyoung. She never knows Sooyoung can be this negative after what she said. “I said, ‘let me think about it’, I didn’t say I won’t come, right?”

Jessica almost laughs when she finds sudden change in Sooyoung’s expression. But she bites the corner of her lips who wants to show a smile in front of Sooyoung. That stupid wall still holds her to be honest in front of this tall shikshin.

Sooyoung nods and smiles brightly. “Okay, I’ll wait for it.”

Jessica is only nodding her head. When she looks away, secretly she smiles when she can see Sooyoung’s smile again.

*

Yuri is crossing her arms and leaning her head on the door while watching Sooyoung who still waiting her in the practice room for another song for the weekend event. Sometimes she finds her chef giggles while daydreaming. Although she didn’t ask, she knows the reason. But for start the conversation, Yuri finally asks it.

“What’s wrong with that stupid smile on your face?”

“Hm? Nothing.” With a straight face, Sooyoung tries to hide what she’s thinking.

“I know. It’s your new boss, right? Did you invite her to come this weekend?” Without looking at Sooyoung, Yuri continues asking.

Sooyoung wide open her eyes. “Since when you become psychic, Boss?”

Yuri giggles and shakes her head. Her chef is still clueless about love as usual. “So… she agrees or not?”

Sooyoung pouts. “Not sure… but she didn’t reject my invitation.”

Yuri looks at Sooyoung and lifts her brows. “Play hard to get, huh?”

Sooyoung shrugs. “So, Boss… what song we will play? Only the two of us? Hyoyeon isn’t here, right?”

Yuri nods. “We will duet for this song and I’ll be your backing vocal. You’ll duet with Hyo in other song that you’ve been practice, right?”

“Ah…,” Sooyoung nods.

“Here is the song,” Yuri handed a paper to Sooyoung. “We’ll play guitar with that song.”

Sooyoung frowns to see the song. “Acoustic? Are you sure?”

“This weekend is female only access, right? We’ll melt their hearts!” Yuri sticks out her tongue.

Sooyoung only shakes her head. Sometimes her boss is just… unpredictable. She wonders why she always has this kind of boss. But in the end, Sooyoung only shrugs her shoulder and joins her boss practicing.

*

“Boss, do you have any suggestion for breakfast?” Sooyoung asks after done practicing. “I haven’t searching for menu in the internet.”

Yuri frowns, thinking. “How about Burrito? You said she from San Francisco, right? Maybe she likes Mexican too.”

“How to cook it?”

“Search it on the internet. You’re good applying menu from the internet,” Yuri suggests.

“But….”

“I believe you can do it. Now go home and rest,” Yuri orders. “We only have few days I don’t want you sick on that day.”

“Ay, ay, Captain!” Sooyoung salutes.

“Thanks for the hard work, Soo,” Yuri replies. “And be safe.”

Sooyoung nods. In no time, she goes back to Jessica’s place to take a rest.

*

“Is she agrees?” Tiffany who knows that Sooyoung and Yuri had practice that night, decided to call Yuri at the time when she thought they already finished.

Okay, that’s a lie. Actually she watches Sooyoung leave the restaurant before she called Yuri.

“Yups. At first she hesitated because mostly we sing RnB or something like that song. She also suspicious because I didn’t involve Hyo in that song, but finally she agreed when I told her it’s special for female only access event,” Yuri replies.

“Ah~ that’s good,” Tiffany utters.

“But I can’t guarantee if Sooyoung practice in her place, okay? Sometimes Sooyoung is singing while cooking,” Yuri adds.”

“Ah… I don’t mind. At least Jessica will hear that song from Sooyoung’s lips. That’s the matter,” Tiffany says.

Yuri nods and Tiffany in the other line let the silence for awhile.

“What is your intention from that song?” Yuri asks. “I kind of know the story of your friend from Sooyoung, do you think it won’t open her wound? It’s a song about moving on, right?”

“Like you said, it’s a song about moving on so my intention is clear, I want her to moving on,” Tiffany replies. “I don’t want her to stick in with her past. She needs to open her heart again.”

“And you want her to open her heart to Sooyoung?” Yuri goes straight to the point.

“Ahuh. Why? You mind?” Tiffany interrogates.

Yuri only laughs. “Ahaha, even if I say no, it won’t change your mind, right? Beside… this is only a song, why I should mind?”

“You give up that easily, huh?” Tiffany asks. “I know about your feeling.”

“That’s… none of your business.” Yuri replies coldly. “I need to clean my place. Bye.”

Without wait any second, Yuri hangs up the call. Tiffany only stares at her phone.

“Honestly it’s my business if only you knew….”

After released a heavy sigh, Tiffany engines her car and drive away from Yuri’s restaurant. That night, everyone has their own thought about weekend event. But one thing for sure, they only can wish everything will going well on the weekend event.


I hope I can post the weekend event this weekend, sorry for postpone it.

Although I'm not really busy this past few days but I'm still recovery due to over working this New Year Eve.

So, please be patient readers and thanks for your feedback ^^

See you next time