The Snow Angel

YongShin One-Shot Collection

We met in the snow, in the wind. Winter. The cold air that filled our souls. I remember it all, every breathe I took, every smile she flashed.

It was a stormy day, the snow was raging, and the only sound to hear was the fall of snow. I looked outside and saw nothing but white, and an arm sticking out of the ground. Is that a person?? I gathered my coat and my umbrella and trudged outside. Hello? Anyone there? I called out. A muffled voice sounded from afar. I followed the direction of where it came from, and dug snow away from the arm. I helped the body out of the cold snow and asked, Are you alright? They turned to me and dusted back their hoodie. A girl with flawless skin and black hair speckled with shiny bits of snow turned to me and smiled.

"Thank you for helping me! If it wasn't for you, I'd probably be suffocating under all that snow." I felt dazed to see such a beautiful girl standing before my eyes. So proper, so pretty, so kind... I welcomed her inside my house and gave her a towel and some hot cocoa to warm and dry up with.

"Ah, I'm feeling much better..."

"That's good. So, what's your  name?" I asked and dusted snow off of my hair.

"Park Shin Hye, what's yours?"

"Yonghwa. Where do you live? I'll drop you off after the snow settles."

"Well actually, I don't have a place to live..."

"Oh, if you want, you can stay here for the night. I have lots of rooms you can use."

"If that's okay with you... Please. Thank you very much Yonghwa!" She bowed to me.

"It's no problem really, in fact I'm glad I can help." We sat, listening to the sound of pelts on the glass windows.

"(cough)"

"Are you alright Shinhye?" She took her hand away from and uncovered blood on her gloves.

"I-it's nothing. I've sort of had this problem for a while, but I'll be okay."

 

Later that night, I showed her around the house and to her room. One night of stay, turned into one month, and we grew closer and closer. Then, I told her.

"Shinhye, I want to tell you something. I like you..."

She smiled and blushed,

"M-me too." I stared at her eyes, and gently kissed her on the lips. She kissed back with her feathery, soft lips. We continued to kiss, till the sound of snow faded. Life went on, and she stayed with me for a year, a year filled with joy and laughter. She was the sun that melted away the cold snow that froze life. She was everything to me, and I always protected her. But in my eyes, she was the one who protected me. She made me see the brighter side of things. Like when I'd spill coffee all over the counters and cursed, she'd tell me, "It's alright. The caffeine would have just made you unhealthy. Have some tea instead." And when I'd be depressed because of work or my family matters, she would be there to soothe my pain. "No one can force you to do something Yong, you choose what you want to do."

 

 

We went out to the exact spot we met. It had been a year after I had met Shinhye, and it was once again cold with snow in Winter.

"This is where we met, huh Yong? Except this time, it's a whole lot happier," she said smiling. I wrapped my arm around her shoulders and touched her hair.  We held hands and looked up to the grey sky, blown away by the bright sun, melting the snow. Shinhye coughed and once again, there was splatters of blood.

"Shinhye!" She knelt in the snow. Blood stained the white crystally powder around us.

"Yong... I never told you... But when one year passes by, and Winter melts for the second time, I slowly give away and melt also." 

"What are you saying? Shin, come to your senses! ... This is bad!" I looked around and shook with scare. What would I do?! I need her, what is she saying? I don't understand! Her hand reached out for mine and held me back from running for help.

"Don't. Yonghwa wait..."

"What's going on Shinhye?"

"Yonghwa... I- I love you. Remember that will you? And I will remember you, I promise..." I fell to the ground and held her hands,

"Of course! What ever you want, I'll do it. I promise Shinhye. I will remember, I swear it."

She smiled and caressed my face, "And when you find someone else to love, love only them. Forget about me."

"No, I won't forget you! How could I forget you?" She simply smiled, closed her eyes, and fell to the snow. My vision faded and cleared, faded, and cleared.

"I love you Shinhye..." I pressed my head to her gentle hands and kissed them softly. I closed my eyes and thought back about all of the times we kissed, and the times that her hands touched mine. I love you, Shinhye. I always will, I promise. I will never fall in love with anyone else. As the sun rose higher, I felt the snow melt into water. I opened my eyes, to find her gone.

She came, and went mysteriously, and brought happiness with her.

She was the Snow Angel.