Chapter 62 - Knowing

Mistress of My Heart

            It took a whole other three months before the contract with TS was signed and she was preparing for filming. It was mainly Junhong who interacted with her. Since that night, she wondered if she should reach out to the others, especially Jongup to congratulate him, but decided that anything beyond what was necessary would only be too harmful to her.

            “Noona, we’re going to be filming a pilot episode first. Then, depending on the reviews, we will release the rest of the season. You definitely still get to keep the client once the work started, so there wouldn’t be a loss to you.”

            “I trust you. I hope, for your sake, that the show is able to take off.”

            “I hope so. It’s a good thing you’re on the show. It’ll definitely pique people’s interests.”

            “Me or the fact that I’m decorating Mr. Seo In Guk’s home?” Jinli laughed as Junhong gave her a tiny glare across the camera.

            “Junhong, do you have the proposal ready for the pilot?” And suddenly, Jinli froze. The familiar voice came on too suddenly. Junhong looked up from his phone and she saw his hand come to cover the screen and then she was staring at the mahogany top of his desk. She was tempted to mute the call but found that she wanted to hear him talk.

            “Yeah, Hyung. I just have to send it to the designers and get their signatures. I think we will be filming first in Daegu and then go to Seoul.”

            “You should start in Seoul first. In case anything messes up, you at least have more time to come back and forth to fix any details. Let me know if you’ve already signed the deals with the production crew and the filming.” Then Daehyun chuckled and the deep reverberations made her nostalgic. When was the last time she had seen his eyes swell into crescents and his lips curl over his teeth into a smile? The rush of memories clutched at her chest and she was disappointed. She has gotten over him, but somehow, all the triggers were still there for the past to pop up. “Junhong, are you chatting with a girlfriend that you’re hiding from us?”

            Junhong chuckled nervously. “Not if you don’t leave my office, Hyung,” and her ears strained to hear Daehyun’s response. But he must have heeded the younger’s pleas because she heard a whisper and then a door close.

            Suddenly it was bright again and Junhong’s pink face appeared. “Noona, I’m so sorry.”

            Jinli shook her head, dispelling all the phantoms and smiled. “Not at all. So I take it I’ll be shooting first?”

            “Yep! I guess this means I’ll have to send the contract to your as soon as possible. I can’t wait to work with you, Noona. It will be so much fun.”

***

            Taewoon insisted on being there the first day of filming. He had said that as her assistant, it only made sense that he worked on the case with her, but Jinli knew that he wanted to see if Daehyun will be there. Ever since Junhong contacted her, the constant fear of running into Daehyun or even mere mention of her ex had caused tension between the two of them.

            “Sweetheart, you don’t have to worry. I’m not going to touch you or kiss you or anything on set. We want our privacy, remember? I’m there purely for business. I promise.” Jinli had given him a look. “And I’m worried about you. I don’t think you’ll be swept off your feet by him, but I don’t need you to be hurt again.” He looked away for a second before muttering, “You’ve mumbled his name in your sleep before and you always had tears.”

            The shocking confession shamed her and she placed her palm over his hand. “It’s hard putting such a hurtful experience aside. And he meant a lot to me in the time we were together.”

            He flipped his hand so that their fingers were interlaced. “I know, baby. And that’s why I’d feel better if I could be here in case he does something.”

            She stared at him, at the earnest expression in his eyes, and leaned over her seat to kiss him. “Alright, let’s go.” It was with reluctance that he disengaged their fingers.

            Junhong was working with the director and the client was standing outside his door, looking at the script. When he saw Jinli, he smiled. “Thank you for being willing to take me as a client. I swear I’ve been on your waiting list for the longest time.”

            Jinli blushed. “Mr. Seo, it’s an honor. You’re literally my favorite actor and I can’t wait to get started.”

            The actor glanced over her shoulder at Taewoon and gave a tiny grin. “Be careful. Your lover might be upset to hear that.” But it was all in good jest and she saw Junhong’s tiny frown at her lack of denial at Taewoon’s relationship to her.

            Once she sat on the couch, Jinli was in her element. Never mind that there were cameras set up all over the room and lights in her face. She was with her client and already her head was teeming with ideas. When he requested a sleek, modern look with a cozy feel, warm gray layered with teal and splashes of burnt orange began to appear in her mind.

            The filming didn’t even feel like filming. Yes, they pulled each of them away for their private commentary, but otherwise it felt like another job. At the end of day, Jinli bowed to the crew and went to find Junhong. “When would this be airing?”

            “Well, it should only take two days to edit. We already filmed all the before scenes and your parts went off without a hitch, so I asked the producer and he said it should be available in time for the available slot this week.”

            She patted his shoulder. “You’re doing so well, Junhong.”

            The younger male blushed. “Thanks, Noona.”

            Taewoon came up behind her and gave her companion a little nod of acknowledgement. Junhong gave him a polite smile. “Since you’re the assistant, you’re definitely going to be in the shootings later. We value the truth of the industry and would definitely want to showcase all the people who are working on this project. I hope you don’t mind.”

            Taewoon shook his head. “Not at all. It’s my honor to be working with Jinli on this.”

            She gave him a tiny smile. “The two of you have to stop flattering me and putting me on a pedestal. It’s embarrassing.”

            “The truth only for the best,” Junhong smiled. He turned to Jinli once more and shot her a winning smile. “You’ve worked hard, Noona. I’ll definitely have you come down to see the finished episode and then we will see how the ratings go.”

            When they walked outside, Taewoon’s hand hovered by hers and she picked it up. “Alright, we’re off work now. Do you want to go out for dinner or stay in?”

            He glanced around. “Are you sure about this? The crew members are still here.”

            Jinli shrugged. “They’re all professional. Besides, we go out on dates all the time. I doubt people are even concerned about my life. Let’s go. I’ve been craving hot pot.”

            He smiled and squeezed her hand. “I love you.” As they walked to the car, another car pulled up behind them.

***

            It took Daehyun a few seconds to recognize the couple. Jinli looked different. Her hair was now mid-shoulder length and she was still wearing the makeup from the shooting. Her hand, although devoid of a ring, was tangled in Taewoon’s. The tall man was recognizable at a single glance. Her smile was dazzling and he swore he saw Taewoon’s lips form the words that he so desperately wished was him saying it to her. Daehyun swallowed hard and watched them get into the car, counting the seconds for the vehicle to drive off.

            Junhong was saying his farewells to Seo In Guk and watching the rest of the production company leave when he walked up. “Hyung!”

            Daehyun put on his business smile and shook the hands of the client. “Thank you so much for being the first celebrity to be showcased in our new variety show.”

            “It’s my honor. I’ve been waiting quite a while for Ms. Cho to work on my house. I hope the show does well.”

            After exchanging more pleasantries, Daehyun invited Junhong out for lunch. “Let’s celebrate the first day of filming?”

            The younger boy ate ravenously before looking up. “Hyung. You’ve barely eaten.”

            “Uh?” Daehyun picked absentmindedly at his noodles, forcing himself to concentrate on the strands. “How was filming?”

            “It went really well. Noona is honestly a natural. I think we can get good reviews. The idea you have for internet broadcasting as well as television is genius. And we can monitor the immediate comments too.”

            Daehyun smiled halfheartedly. “Yeah.” He forced himself to take a bite of his food before clearing his voice. “So, um, how long has she been dating him?” He couldn’t find himself to say their names. Daehyun’s eyes wandered around the restaurant, looking everywhere but at Junhong. The curiosity gnawed at him and he should have known that the moment he let her go, she would find someone more than willing to replace him.

            “I don’t know. I didn’t ask. I didn’t really want to know. Sort of makes me sick to the stomach,” his dongsaeng muttered. Bitterness was etched into his words and Daehyun couldn’t help but chuckle a little.

            “Ya, Choi Junhong, you’re more upset than I am.”

            “Well of course I’m upset. I really like Noona, and I was kind of, you know.”

            Of all his friends, Junhong was the first and only one to admit that he had wanted Daehyun to try to make things work with her again. He had politely never mentioned it out of courtesy to his feelings, but the longing flowed from him all the same.

            Daehyun forced a smile on his face. “You should be happy for her.”

            “And what about you, Hyung?”

            “I’m happy for her,” he decided at last. This was the truth.

            “No, but don’t you deserve to be happy too?”

            He spread his arms out. “I’m back home. I have a new project and am working at the company that I love again. I’m happy. Eat up.” And with those final words, the subject was dropped but not forgotten.

            When Daehyun got home, he flopped on the bed and tried to unsee the image that was now seared to the back of his eyelids. It was like a movie placed on loop. Their hands entwined, her laughing and him whispering “I love you”. He should have known that it would have happened. It wasn’t too much of a surprise but to see it with his own eyes only made it hurt a little more.

            His nose clogged with unshed tears and he coughed. He curled onto his side and drifted off to sleep, all the while memories of Jinli haunted his dreams.

 

Happy 5 years with this story :) 

Thank you so much for your support, everyone.