Chapter 21 - Accusations

Mistress of My Heart

            The pictures created a larger uproar than she expected. When Jinli first saw the photos of her crying, of Youngjae hugging her and of the giant headline questioning her fidelity, she dismissed them. She was tired of being a media princess. She had a large house to design.

            It was breakfast time when Daehyun saw and he looked at her. Jinli kept her eyes focused on the laptop screen, last night’s scenario still not forgotten.

            “Youngjae, huh.” His tone made her tense and she inhaled deeply.

            “Paparazzi,” she dismissed. “They misconstrue everything. They can turn a mother kissing her son into an affair.”

            “A mother kissing her son… You like Youngjae that much, don’t you?”

            She placed her forehead against her fist and stared at Daehyun. “What are you even trying to say?”           

            He shook the papers at her. “All this time, I thought I pushed you away but apparently it was my best friend you’re coveting. Seoul, of all places, of course you would go there so you can see him.”

            “I went there because my best friend is there, you idiot!”

            “And here I thought you were concerned about the media and about putting up an act about our marriage!” He plowed on as if he hadn’t heard her.

            Jinli slammed her palms down and screamed at him. “You told me you were tired of acting. I just agreed with you a little later. You never even bothered to make this into a marriage! You can’t even get it up unless you think about another woman, so I suggest you shove that jealousy up somewhere it hurts. Don’t even try to pin this on me. Even though we weren’t having an affair, your best friend has treated me better than you’ve ever done!” She hated herself for crying. Her chest heaved and Daehyun stared at her with round, shocked eyes.

            There was a cough and Youngjae held his hands in the air. “Excuse me but I couldn’t help but overhear. I came to warn but I guess I arrived in the middle of the storm.”

            She stared at him exasperation and threw a spoon at him. “Both of you can just go screw yourselves.”

***

            Youngjae looked at Daehyun and shook his head. “You messed up.”

            Daehyun felt his face turn red with embarrassment and anger. He shook his head angrily. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

            Youngjae nodded in the direction Jinli had left in. “Did you really just accuse her of liking me?”

            Daehyun coughed and scratched his head. “I don’t really know. I wasn’t thinking.”

            His best friend flicked him on the head. “You’re so stupid. How can you possibly think that? She left you because you were the one who were thinking about Hyosung. Did anything happen in the last few days?”

            “No. I don’t want to talk to her.”

            Youngjae looked annoyingly impressed. “Wow, I thought you would have been all over her by now.”

            “Have some faith, will you?” Daehyun grunted. He sighed and stared at the door that had just slammed. “What am I going to do with her?”

            “You talk it out and make it work.” He said it as if it were the easiest thing in the world.

            Daehyun snorted. “She’s stubborn as hell. I don’t see why you all like her so much.”

            “Because she’s also a very sweet person, and honestly, she’s hurting from all the things you’ve done to her.”

            “I think it’s a mutual thing.”

            Youngjae raised an eyebrow. “How has she hurt you?”

            Daehyun didn’t’ like the incredulous tone in Youngjae’s voice. “Look, I’ll make it up somehow. Are you going to the dinner tonight?”

            “I have to. All staff needs to be on hand. Are you bringing her?”   

            “Who else would I bring?”

            “I don’t know. I wouldn’t be surprised if Hyosung showed up now and whisked you away.” Daehyun’s only response was the middle finger.

***

            He knocked on the guest room much later. “There’s a red carpet event. A lot of our company’s stars will be there. Go get dressed. We’re leaving in two hours.”

            Jinli opened the door, looking frazzled and annoyed. “It’s your company. You go.” She moved to close the door but he held it firmly open.

            “I’m a manager, and we have to bring our spouses. Your father would be attending as well. Shouldn’t you be used to the publicity and the events? Get dressed.”

            She rolled her neck and scoffed. “And you have the authority why? I have a conference tomorrow. With very important clients,” she emphasized. “I don’t have time to waste.”           

            Daehyun was adamant. “You knew what you were signing up for when you got into this marriage. I haven’t asked anything of you. Do your duties this time.”

            “One, I did not queue for this oh-so-fantastic marriage. Two, I think you ask enough of my patience to receive any more of my time. And three, I am not your slave to order around.” Jinli saw him clench his fists. Good. She hoped he hit her so she could file for abuse. He took a deep breath and, damn him, he softened his eyes to give her a pleading puppy-dog look.

            “Jinli, please. Let’s go together. Forget about Youngjae in the morning.” His voice was soft.

            She hardened. “You can bring your Hyosung-Noona.”

            Daehyun gave her a look. “Are you done?”

            “No. I don’t care what your relationship with that woman was, is. But if you won’t stop her from interfering with whatever this is that we have, then you might as well do it properly. Bring her to the event. Announce to the world that you love her. I won’ stop you.” He stared at her and left without a word. Moments later, her father called. 

 

sorry for the short chapter 

I'm starting to plan out the rest of the story and want to pace myself