Chapter 45 - Trail of Tears

Mistress of My Heart

            “I don’t know where Hyung went. He’s not picking up his phone.” Junhong sounded worried as he spoke to her.

            Jinli glanced at the large setup she had prepared and sighed. “Maybe he’s staying late? Or did he go out for dinner? I shouldn’t have told him I wouldn’t be home.”

            Youngjae was walking around, sampling some of the dishes and he looked up. “Tell Junhong to check the security cameras. See when he left.” Jinli gave him a weird look and the man motioned for her to hand the phone over. When she did, he said into the speaker, “Junhong-ah, check the cameras. If he left, you bet I’m going to tail my way to where he is.”

            “It’s my fault. I should have told him to come home early. I didn’t think he would just leave.” She tried to keep her tone neutral but a small niggling voice in the back of her mind was telling her exactly where Daehyun went, or more importantly, who he went with. If she knew it was his birthday, there was no way Hyosung would do nothing.

            “It’s not your fault,” Youngjae said flatly. He replaced the lid over the appetizer platter. “Don’t worry I’ll make sure he hauls his back home.”

            “We should have gone out somewhere. Or maybe he would have wanted to celebrate with the rest of you.”

            Himchan had just let himself in through the door. He shook his wet umbrella and stomped his foot. “I had to meet with a client. Otherwise I would have been there at the office and would have picked him up.”

            There was a grim look on Youngjae’s face as he picked up a phone call. “So he left already?” A dark expression clouded his features as Junhong continued talking. “Alright. I’ll be right there. But hold on one moment, I need to make a detour.” When he hung up, he ignored Jinli’s questioning gesture and turned to Himchan. “Hyung, can you wait here until Yongguk Hyung and Jongup shows up? I’ll text you an address as to where to go after.”

            “What are you going to do?” Jinli asked.

            Youngjae turned to look at her and smirked. “Celebrate Daehyun’s birthday.”

***

            The party room was lit up softly with a warm light and stars hung on delicate strands from the ceiling. In the center was a table piled with pastries and cake. “This was the surprise you heard me talk about on the phone. I had thought you would find out I was planning something.”

            Daehyun remembered that moment when he had wrongly thought she was planning a scheme against the company and felt a twinge of guilt. “Thank you.”  He looked down at her, the one he loved. In her eyes he could see the glimmer of anticipation, of a muted excitement at how he was going to respond. “I love it.”

            He bent his head and caught her lips with his. When he felt her fingers dig softly into his arms, he felt as if the world was okay again. They were together and they weren’t fighting. Suddenly his phone rang, a shrill sound that pierced the quiet.

            Daehyun’s heart sank slowly as he saw that it was Youngjae. He moved to switch off his phone but Hyosung held his finger. “Pick up.”

            “Hello? Youngjae, what’s up?”

            “Where are you right now? I’m in Busan. You think I would forget my best friend’s birthday?”

            Daehyun looked at Hyosung nervously. “Uh-well, now?”

            “Invite him. Bring him. Bring all your friends. I’m tired of hiding.” Hyosung had her arms crossed now and was piercing him with her cat-like gaze. Her chin was set in a stubborn square.

            “Uh, I’ll text you the address.”

            “Good. I’ll see you soon.”

            When he hung up, he looked at Hyosung. “Sweetheart.”

            “No. I’m tired of sneaking around like your mistress or somebody who doesn’t belong. She’s the one who shouldn’t be here. I’m not scared of your friends. I want them to see and understand that I will always be a part of your life.”

            As promised, Youngjae arrived shortly after. Daehyun walked out from the restaurant and saw his best friend get out of the car. He walked around to the passenger seat and that was when Daehyun’s heart stopped.

***

            Jinli was confused. Shortly after Youngjae left, and the others arrived, Himchan had insisted that they all followed him. “You can sit in my car,” Himchan offered. “Let’s go. Youngjae is waiting.”

            The drive seemed tense. Several times she wanted to get an answer from Himchan but didn’t know how to broach the subject. He made a sharp turn to the right and pulled into the space behind Youngjae’s silver car. From the rearview mirror she could see the others follow suit.

            The scene inside was chaos. The first thing she took notice of was the people already there. Daehyun was standing in the center and Hyosung was crying off to the side. In front of Daehyun was Youngjae and a shorter woman Jinli could not recognize, or did not want to recognize.

            “How dare you! You bring disgrace and shame to this family. I am utterly embarrassed to call you my son!” It was only once the words registered that she realized it was Daehyun’s mother. She was shaking with fury as she rained down her tirade on her son.

            The arrival of the other people made her stop and turn, however. Her face fell when she saw Jinli. The older woman came forward and took her hand. “I’m so sorry, sweetheart. I failed to raise my son properly.”

            It took this distraction for Daehyun to grab Youngjae by the collar. “You bastard. You did this on purpose.”

            His best friend was unapologetic. “Yeah, I did. I’m sick and tired of watching you treat Jinli like . It isn’t fair that you can just carry on like this and leave your parents in the dark. I wanted you to take some responsibility.”

            “You’re supposed to understand me.” Daehyun bit back a choked sob.

            “I wasted two years of my life trying to get you up from that hell hole you allowed yourself to be dragged into. You finally were doing okay. If I’m going to watch my efforts go to waste, then I might as well let it go down in a more dramatic fashion.”

            Until now, the others had been quiet, just looking and trying to comprehend the scene before them. Yongguk stepped in to mediate between Youngjae and Daehyun while Jongup offered to drive Jinli and her mother-in-law home. “Let’s go back, please. Noona, I’ll take you to omoni’s place.”

            Jinli felt trapped. She looked over at Daehyun and then at Hyosung. The other woman was still sobbing her heart out. Jongup was still hovering by her elbow and she wanted to break free. “Actually, it’s alright. I can go home by myself.”

            Junhong grabbed her arm when she tried to leave. “Noona. Come home with me.” Without giving her room to protest, the tall boy led her to his car.

            Once in the car, he allowed her a few minutes of silence to comprehend what she saw. “I’m sorry. Youngjae-Hyung stepped over the line. I had no idea.”

            “Why are you apologizing? It’s not like this is some sort of a secret. I already know. I just wish he didn’t have to bring in my mother-in-law.”

            “We tried to talk to Daehyun-Hyung. I hope you know that.”

            Jinli was exhausted. She turned to Junhong and smiled weakly. “I do. Thank you. You don’t have to. It doesn’t bother me. I know what I agreed to. It’s just going through the motions.”

            The younger man knew when to stop talking. He reached over tentatively and held Jinli’s hand, rubbing his thumb across her skin in a comforting manner. “I have a pretty comfortable studio. I think you would enjoy staying there.”

            “I can’t kick you out of your own bed, Junhong.”

            “Shush. It’s my bed. I get to decide.”

***

            Daehyun wanted nothing more than to be left alone. His mother was trembling with anger and behind him, Hyosung was crying. Happy ing birthday. He decided that now was the best time to set things clear with his parents.

            “Mother, I need you to understand how I feel about this marriage. I don’t want it. I love Hyosung. It’s unfair to Jinli that we have to stick together, and unfair to me that I have to lie to the two of them. Please, understand.”

            His mother shot Hyosung a death glare. “If you’re asking my permission for you to go back to this , you will never receive it. Not even over my dead body.”

            “Mom!”

            His mother ignored him and continued talking. “From now on, you’re going to drop all ties with her. I had said that if I caught wind of anything foul, I will have her removed from the company. That was not an empty threat. Ms. Jeon, you are a disgrace to your company and I refuse to allow you to taint mine. Jung Daehyun, you go home and I will speak with you tomorrow.”

            Daehyun lingered with Hyosung. “Noona, I love you. Don’t worry. I’ll do something about this.”

            Himchan and Yongguk brought him home. They were silent on the car ride. Daehyun was doubled over in tears as he tried to think about what to do. His heart ached and he was so tired. The push and pull with Jinli was taxing. Losing his friends’ support was painful. The inability to do as his heart wanted made everything seem harder, bleaker.

            Yongguk saw Daehyun curl up on the bed and placed a box of tissues next to the broken man. “Daehyun-ah. Take this opportunity to make things right. Maybe you’re right. You should just divorce Jinli. But, Daehyun, please don’t forget the pain Hyosung brought to you over the last two years. I won’t see you go through that hell again. Please do hyung a favor and just sleep, okay? It’ll be better tomorrow. I promise.”

            Daehyun only hiccupped in response, inhaling deep gasps. It was the most vulnerable Daehyun has been since Hyosung first left him. Yongguk’s heartstrings tugged painfully as he rubbed his friend’s back soothingly. “She’s not worth it, Daehyunnie. You can be happier without her.” There was no response. “Do you want me to stay the night?”

            This was a flashback to two years ago. Daehyun had relied heavily on Yongguk and Youngjae then and sleeping next to either of them became a source of comfort. Daehyun nodded and Yongguk sent Himchan a text telling him not to wait. The older man took off his shoes and swung his legs onto the bed. He turned so that he was facing Daehyun.

            “Sleep well, Hyunnie.”

***

            Jinli was surprised to find her mother-in-law standing before her. The elder woman dropped to her knees and began to sob hysterically. “I’m so sorry. I apologize with all my heart for having raised that bastard of a son.”

            Junhong shifted uncomfortably before deciding that he should let this emotional scene play out for some healing. He closed the door to his room and left the two women inside. From outside, he could hear their crying and shook his head.

            “No, please. It’s quite alright. It’s unfair for him as well. He never asked to be married to me.”

            “You didn’t ask to be married to him either. And yet you have treated him better than he has ever deserved. I know how angry and how hurt your dear departed mother must feel right now, looking down and seeing how my useless scrap of a son is treating you.” She pounded her chest and cried. “I told you to come to me with any hardships. Why did you never say anything?”

            Jinli only shook her head. Her mother-in-law grasped her hand desperately. “Please, you have to understand. That woman is not good for him. She broke his heart two years ago and I don’t want him near her.”

            “I can’t do anything to stop how he feels, Omoni.”

            “Can you give him one more chance? Please? I know it’s selfish of me. But I’m begging you. Please give him one more chance.”

            “Why?” Jinli whispered. Surely his mother should understand that by now it was more hurtful to her son to have him be with her.

            “Because I know you are the one to make him open his eyes. I see how you treat him. And I know that if he could only have some time to truly appreciate you, then he would see it too.” This time, she kowtowed, bringing her forehead to the ground.

            Jinli panicked. “Please, don’t do this. I promise. I’ll give him one more chance.” As soon as she said the words, she regretted them. She knew she had said it to placate her but she also knew that after this episode, life with Daehyun would be even more miserable. It was just an empty promise, just like all the ones he had ever given her.

 

um... not quite sure what I wrote it just came out and I'm procrastinating my finals really hard.

But also B.A.P concert was so so amazing and I just ♥ It's been nearly a month and every time I think about it I still get giddy.

I did Hi Touch and they are such angels.