Hopeful and Trying

You & I

The scent of a delicious omelet filled the air and slowly drifted to Jeongmin's bedroom. "What's that smell?" Jeongmin said to himself and a smile grew on his face. 

He grabbed his sweater and bag and opened the door and walked into the kitchen, where a smiling Jessica was awaiting his arrival.

"I made you breakfast...I hope its not too much." she said, looking down and blushing. He saw the nervousness in her face and felt his cheeks go a bit warm.

"Why am I feeling ridiculous in front of a little girl?" he thought to himself and ran his fingers through his hair, "Y-You didn't have to...I c-coulda waited till lunch."

She laughed and tried to regain her cool, "You'll be out of it all first and third periods if you don't eat, you dork."

He scoffed, "Me? Out of it? Hardly. I'd be more worried about you, little girl."

A bit offended by the name "little girl," Jessica smiled back sadly and checked the clock. "Oh, we're gonna be late. First bell's gonna ring in 10 minutes!" she said and grabbed her bag, "We've gotta get going."

Jeongmin looked too. He hated more than anything to be late. He grabbed his keys sitting on the counter and rushed to the door. Let's go!"

Jessica followed him and they hurried off down the street. Two blocks till the school from the apartment building.

As soon as they entered the school gates, Jessica gasped.

"W-what's wrong?" Jeongmin asked her.

Her voice was low and sad as she spoke, "...the omelet..."

", I'm sorry Jess, I should have grabbed it." he said.

She smiled sadly and grabbed his arm, "Just get to class. No worries."

He looked at her with doubt and patted her head. "Off to class. Wait for me after, okay? Or if I'm out first, I'll wait for you."

She nodded and waved to him as he walked off to his classroom. As she turned to walk off to her homeroom, she felt a tear fall from her eye, "I really wanted him to try it." 

~Jeongmin's Point of View

When he walked into homeroom, a mess of loud laughing and yelling filled the air.

He walked in slowly, taking in the scenery. "Seoul classrooms sure were much cleaner and nicer than the ones back home." he thought.

He stood by the door, since the seats were not assigned yet and the teacher didn't appear to be here yet. Already 3 minutes into class and it seemed the only tardy was the teacher.

He looked around for any sort of familiar face. From what he could tell, he was the only one friendless.

Suddenly, the door burst open.

A tall, young woman about 25 entered the room, obviously looking tired and stressed out.

Everyone's eyes turned to the sudden slide of the door and the noise dropped. All the students calmed down and all bowed after the teacher walked to the front of the class to greet her. Jeongmin greeted her from his place near the wall, awkwardly.

"Please forgive me students, I had to grab a new transfer student from the United States. The principal wasn't sure the student spoke Korean and I was told to wait for her as she arrived at the school gates. Please form a line along the wall to select a paper from the box. The paper will have your seat and row on it, so please don't lose it. These will be your seats for the rest of the fall."

Jeongmin watched them all fall into line and slowly pick from the box sitting on the teacher's table.

Jeongmin was amazed. Back home, it would take several shouts and yells from the teacher to get them all to behave so well. Seoul was much more modern and civilized. It was incredible.

Jeongmin continued to watch until he felt someone watching him. He turned his head to face the teacher who was smiling at him.

"Are you nervous?" she said to him.

He shook his head, "No, I just almost feel out of place. My name is Jeongmin Lee."

The teacher patted his shoulder, "It gets easier, don't worry. Look, its your turn. Go get a seat paper." 

Jeongmin looked in front of him and saw that everyone else had already taken their seats and began to talk amongst themselves again. 

He walked up to the box and put his hand inside. He pulled out a paper and read it "Row 4, Seat 7."

He counted down the row and counted down the seats until he saw his seat and next to it was another empty seat. 

"Crap," he sighed, "I'm going to be alone."

He walked across the row avoiding smiles and snickers from other students. He didn't care for them that much, but he did want to make friends.

He sat down and greeted the student nearest to him, "Hi there, I'm Jeongmin."

The girl turned her head, "Oh, we're you talking to me?"

He nodded and smiled, "Yeah, sorry."

She smiled back and bowed in her seat, "I'm Nayoung. Its nice to meet you, Jeongmin. Did you go to South Elementary? (Author's Note: LOL my made up school)"  

Jeongmin shook his head, "I'm from out of town. You're the first person I've met today."

She smiled and laughed, "Well you've got 2 other classes to go to today, so I hope you'll meet more people. We're mostly all very nice here. Sorry, but if you don't mind, I'm going to talk to my friend, Rae for a moment. Nice talking to you." 

He gave a fake laugh, "No, no, its alright."

He turned back to face the front of the room and sighed. "Looks like I'm going to be alone most of the year. Not just alone at home, but alone here." His mind flashed back to Jessica. ", I feel so bad." he thought. He quietly banged his fist on the table remembering the sad look in her eyes. "I have to make it up to her."


LOL omg this was super hard to write. I'm pretty much the master of writer's block. I had to write 3 different drafts until I thought I was spot on. I'm sorry if I might have strayed from the story to you, but it was because there's more coming. I don't want to write a 3 chapter long story. I want it to go on at least 10 chapters. I'm also really sorry for the delay. I hate that so bad. There was just a bunch of school stuff going on. OTL I can't handle it. Anyway, hope you enjoyed this chapter. There is more to come! <3