The First Day

You & I

“Jeongminnie, open up, it’s time for school! You’re going to be late!” a voice called from his door. Jeongmin groaned and slowly rose from his bed, aching from dance practice last night.

He made his way to the front door and grasped the knob, “What do you—“ At that same moment, the door burst open and a short, brown-eyed girl stood before him; his neighbor and childhood friend, Jessica.

“You kept me waiting forever, so I just used the emergency key. Good thing you gave it to me.” she said.

Jeongmin rubbed his head from the impact of the door and sighed, “Don’t you have better things to be doing in the morning?” Jessica made her way into his apartment and turned all the lights on, “Who else is going to care for you Jeongminnie if I don’t, hm?” Jeongmin had been living on his own ever since his parents decided that they had grown tired of the constant trips back and forth from his hometown to Seoul. Sometimes he hated being so alone but was glad he had Jessica here.

Jeongmin smiled, “I guess you’re right, and didn’t I tell you to stop calling me that?” Jessica laughed, “I don’t suppose you want me to call you “Oppa”, right?” He was a year older than her. Despite their age, she was more adult-like and more caring. She could manage being alone way better than he could. She lived alone too. She had been living with her aunt until her aunt had decided to marry and did not want to provide for Jessica any longer, in fear that she would get in the way of her starting her new life. Jessica’s apartment was right across from his and they had keys to each other’s apartment just in case. So, in a way, they were like siblings, but it was too weird to think of it that way.

“Don’t call me “Oppa,” but Jeongminnie isn’t any better.” Jeongmin said. She smiled at him playfully, “Well I could call you , but that’s not very nice, now is it?” He laughed and walked towards her and ruffled her hair, “Whatever. I’m going to go get changed now. Go make use of yourself somewhere else.” “Don’t mess up my hair! It takes hours to get it right!” she said, trying to fix it back into place.

He walked back to his room laughing at her as she pulled a hand mirror from her bag and tried her best to brush back her wavy hair to its original state. "You jerk, aish!" she yelled at him as she eventually gave up.

Jeongmin sat on the bed in his room, thinking about this day. First day of highschool. It was amazing that he had made it in one piece. Elementary was an easy-breeze, but middle school was plain toture. He knew high school was probably ten times as harder, but he promised himself he would get good grades, especially because now he had to take care of himself for the next four years. He ran his hands over his face and let himself fall back onto his bed. He couldn't believe this was happening. 

~Jessica's Point of View

As soon Jeongmin left the room and heard his bedroom door shut, she fell back onto the floor and had a mini-rage.

"That jerk. If he only knew I try so hard to make it look perfect is because of him. He has absolutely no idea." she whispered to herself. She sat up and rubbed her eyes. "What am I supposed to do now?" she thought.

She glanced around the room to find an answer and noticed the fridge and suddenly had an idea. "What if I make him breakfast? We'd be like an old married couple!" she laughed to herself.

She picked herself off the ground and walked to the fridge and opened it, finding only eggs, milk, juice, ham and water. "Doesn't he ever go shopping? I don't understand this simple-minded boy." she thought.

He took two eggs out and ham and began to prepare him an omlet. She was excellent at cooking and was lucky she was blessed with those traits. They would come in handy as a housewife, and hopefully as Jeongmin's wife, she would prepare him the best meals. Unfortunately as it stood, she was nowhere near being his wife.

She prepared the eggs in an upset manner thinking about this disappointment in herself. She hadn't noticed when some of the yolky, messy egg spilled out of the pan and onto the floor and tears fall onto her uniform.

She had a habit of feeling too crushed when she thought about something upsetting.  She sniffled and wiped her eyes. She had to get over it. The more she thought about it, the more she would get distracted.

Once the omlet was finished, she gently placed it on a plate and put it on the table. Hopefully, he'd like it.