Take 2.

Sunshine to Moonlight
 
 
Their family history were a tad bit more complicated than chess. Though, what would be expected of such self-obsessed, arrogant narcissists; they literally invented the word (poor little Narcissus had never lived down that one time he fell in love with himself, aunts and uncles still laughed at him for it - he died). Vanity was in their blood and often the cause of their stupidity. Then again, they did managed to have mortals worship at their feet. 
 
Father had come home one day with the mother of all headaches and out came Jessica, fully grown and sporting shiny armour as his head was split open.
 
Then mother - quite angry and offended that father gave birth to her aually - made Kris on her own as some sort of revenge, an act she regretted after deeming him too ugly.
 
Now, here they were, playing chess.
 
 
****** In case you haven't caught on and I'm not making sense because I'm going Greek on your asses; Jessica is Athena, goddess of war while Kris is Hephaestus, god of fire. They are not siblings here so don't you go eewwww. Yes, you are reading a cross over of kpop and greek mythology drabble. Yes, you can slap me later. ******
 
 
"King me," he announces proudly, a weird lopsided twitch of his lips that was as close as anyone could ever get to witness his smile.
 
"Kris, this is chess, not checkers," she doesn't miss how his shoulders immediately slumped in defeat, a cute little whine escaping from the oh so masculine blacksmith of the gods.
 
"I'm hungry."
 
"We're deities, darling, we never feel hungry."
 
"But we never feel full, either." At that she raised an eyebrow though he merely shrugged innocently, "I still like food."
 
"Fine, I'll humour you this once."
 
They didn't manage to finish the game but it was quite obvious Jessica was destroying him. When he suggested playing, he intended on letting her win, but, as it turned out, that was utterly unnecessary. It wasn't much of a blow to his butthurt pride, she is after all, the goddess of wisdom and war. He just hoped to get into her good books, one must never cross the temper of a god; an unwritten rule many had disobeyed many times before.
 
"You know, you've never made me a weapon."
 
They had chosen a lovely looking orchard and nymphs showered them with a banquet, despite Jessica's rants that gods and goddesses have no need for such a feast because they do not get hungry. Opting for a small picnic instead, they dismissed the nymphs to enjoy the scene in silence.
 
"What are you talking about, all the weapons in Olympus were my creation."
 
"Nuh uh," she takes a bite from her apple, which she must admit is exquisite; she was beginning to understand his affection for food. "I mean, yeah, you made them but I've never seen any weapons of mine that had 'For Jessica from Kris.' Sometimes, I too can appreciate a little lavish writing on my beloved weapons.
 
"Hmm," he considers her proposition and agrees to it though with a of his head at such a request. "I've never considered you would actually enjoy something so..." What's the word?
 
"Feminine?" Jessica laughed; not at all offended. It was a little out of character. She had always been like this in his company. She supposes it may be because he was as humourless as she was - often wearing a stone cold face with a side of hot temper if provoked - but with Kris, she loosens up at having someone else be grumpy, just this while. "I do enjoy these girlish accessories on swords as I plunge them through my enemy's heart."
 
"How classy."
 
"But, I have yet to acquire a sword or a shield like it. You know, I'm quite jealous of Krystal. You've crafted beautiful things for your wife-" He stands up, a little shakily but he soon regained balance and faced his back to her.
 
She immediately regrets mentioning the matter. It had always been a mutual agreement that his matrimonial bounds to that woman was never spoken of with him; she practically walked on eggshells, such a slip up was just shameful on her part.
 
Krystal, the goddess of love, did not deserve such a title. She could hardly live up to the name within her own marriage. Jessica frowns upon her sister's recklessness and how she drops everything she is doing in pursuit of lust, though she could merely pity Kris. He was the fool.
 
Kris admits it too. He had asked for Krystal's hand, fully aware of her unwillingness. In time he grew to hate his decision but it was something he does not regret; if left unwedded, Krystal would cause chaos and they all knew it. The only real shame was that Kai, her favourite lover, did not step up to the task.
 
After what seems like an eternity in silence - which is not impossible since they were immortals - Jessica calls for the nymphs to take the food away, appetite gone and a firm hand on his shoulder, supposedly a gesture of comfort.
 
"Sica, you have man hands," he receives a punch from the same hand. Then, he smiles a real smile, doubling over laughing and right there, Jessica doubts why mother had thought he was unattractive because his gummy smile and equally happy eyes are easily the most beautiful thing she had ever had the privilege to see. She captures the image like a precious butterfly and pins that in her mind.
 
 
 
****** Sooooo... Krystal here is Aphrodite - Zeus married her off to Hephaestus because she was too beautiful that it might cause a war between the gods who wanted her (OTL) and Kai is Ares - literally, Aphrodite's favourite lover and Hephaestus's brother (the ancient Greeks would have made great fanfic writers, I swear). Yes, there is Kaistal too but that's another story ;) ******